Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
"What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing..."
"a little body contact’ never hurt anyone" (to a group of young netball playing women)
"Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it’s not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Kate and Kate: still awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ30wf1PmnA

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I don't get it. While it is a tad dog whistle-y there are some genuinely good things promoted, and money being provided to a bunch of worthy causes.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

I'm half surprised they haven't attempted to claim a muslim having a sneeze is "committing a bio-warfare attack on are soil".

Thank you for reminding me of this

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...022-119ve0.html

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Halo14 posted:

Haha those Chaser guys up to no good again!

:stare:

I'll be honest, their video looks like someone is taking the piss out of them for being fuckwits, complete with cod Lebanese accent, lovely video filters and them doing illegal poo poo on camera.

URL links to the UPF facebook page in case anyone would rather not visit it by the way

https://www.facebook.com/unitedpatriotsfront/videos/183124668688660/?fref=nf

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

As if a private school education makes a lick of difference.

Nonsense. It was only in uni I learnt how to do a full windsor.

e. wow, so that happened. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-05/asylum-seekers-on-nauru-to-be-processed-within-the-next-week/6828130

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 5, 2015

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Serrath posted:

I have a question in good faith; what is Australia's policy with respect to people who apply for refugee status after flying in? I know that flights don't generally operate out of the countries where refugees generally travel but is there a mechanism in place preventing an Iraqi or Afghanistan citizen from flying from Indonesia to Australia and then claiming asylum?

I mean, obviously there's some system stopping them otherwise they wouldn't be attempting the maritime crossing but what specific roadblocks is Australia putting up? Is it that Australia won't extend a tourist visa to people who may claim asylum? And, if that's what it is, how do they ascertain whether or not someone is likely to?

Bridging visa

quote:

Authorised' arrivals enter Australia with a valid visa (such as a tourist or student visa). Asylum seekers who are 'authorised' arrivals can apply for a permanent protection visa (PPV). Until their refugee application is decided, they are usually granted a 'bridging visa' which allows them to live in the community. Some have permission to work or, in exceptional circumstances, may receive financial help from the government if they cannot meet their most basic needs for food, accommodation and health care.21 Authorised arrivals who are not found to be refugees according to Australian migration law may be detained until they are removed from the country

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/questions-and-answers-about-refugees-asylum-seekers#q5

If they have used a false visa or passport though then I imagine they get detained.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Starshark posted:

"Praise the Lord" sure is a phrase only used by terrorists.

That's not even what it means.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Politicians should be in Canberra sittings 7 days a week.

Having had jobs that are both on weekends and through the night, they should start sitting at midnight.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

hawaiian_robot posted:

Patriots are flooding my inbox in support of Stopping the Mosque in Bendigo. Aussie Oi. Rise Without Fear

Yeah, they've gone into overdrive regarding that.

On a related note, get ready for QLD Senator Pauline Hanson.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

hawaiian_robot posted:

edit: holy gently caress the Great Aussie Patriot Facebook page is unintentionally hilarious as gently caress

This gem was from the UPFs page.

Keep in mind, this was posted on their own page, which either means they are too dumb to know they are obviously being trolled, or their supporters are too dumb to realise that putting 15 full colour posters on the side of a bun is actually pretty dumb.

Also I just noticed that "Aussie Pride, Nation Wide" is pretty close to another phrase.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I think terrorist and religious extremist are two separate but often related things. I think it would be hard to make the case that the Kelly Gang were motivated by religion, but depending how you define terrorist they could fit the bill.

chaos rhames posted:

He did rob banks, which some would attribute as his central motive.

Its a long time since I read up on the topic, but I'm pretty sure towards the point where they all got wiped out they were highly motivated by a hatred of Cops.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Hey, what's the deal with filming people without their knowledge? My local moron chapter went "undercover" at the local Islamic Centre and filmed something, then posted it on facebook.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Was it in public or was it technically inside the Islamic Centre?

It was filmed at an open day inside the centre.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I dunno, ScoMo has always struck me an "extra mild butter chicken" kind of guy. I'm quite curious now.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

"There is a Muslim problem" says Mark Latham
What can our politicians learn from Trump
Latham says Australia is over servicing mental health
Jaqui Lambie on Muslim integration
Interview with Troy Newman, extreme anti-abortionist.

:barf:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Pauline Hanson posted:

I’ve never said one racist thing in my life

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

e. beaten

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Holy poo poo, its racism detecting dog.

When I was young my family got a "free to a good home" dog that was racist. It used to bark at Indians and Aborigines :(

Apparently it is quite common in certain breeds if they aren't exposed to people of different shades.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Splode posted:

German Shepherds?

It was Lab + gently caress knows

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure there was another photo of that same guy shaking hands with a literal Nazi somewhere.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Hey Auspol, did anyone order more shitheads?

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/10/12/derryn-hinch-forms-his-own-political-party

Because we got more shitheads.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Vladimir Poutine posted:

That article is uhh... short. Apparently his new party is primarily running on an anti-pedophile platform.

It was that or news corpse.

actually, a SMH article is there now

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...011-gk6krz.html

e. Holy poo poo, I had no idea he was in his 70s

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

open24hours posted:

Ban pets altogether. They're terrible for the environment in more ways than just killing wildlife.

Really? Like what?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Nothing in this article could possibly be seen as a good enough reason to ban all pets. Have you read it?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

open24hours posted:

Well, it's a question of values. Maybe it's not enough to make you consider banning all pets.

Maybe license them like guns. If you want one show that you have a better reason than 'it makes me feel good'.

What based on that article makes you think all pet ownership should be banned?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

....Did you guys read it? Or just the title?

quote:

Far from being unsustainable, pet-food manufacturing uses material from animals which are inspected by vets as fit for human consumption but which are surplus to the requirements of the human food industry

So make sure your pet is eating food that would otherwise not have been eaten.

As for cats being useless:

quote:

That we greatly benefit from the presence of pets isn't really disputed.

There are good arguments for making sure that pet food is ecologically sustainable and ethical in the article, as well as making sure that your pet isn't killing native wildlife, but I'm surprised you would skip to pet genocide so quickly based on such poor evidence :(

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 13, 2015

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

open24hours posted:

Yeah basically what Les Affairs said.

I have a cat but I find it difficult to justify on a utilitarian level.

So keep it indoors and don't feed it unethical food?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Woah woah woah slow down there pal, you're the first person to bring up cat genocide.

Sorry, that was open24hours.

quote:

but you could also recycle it back into the production chain to produce human-suitable food for feeding the third world.

OK, how?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

he is only called in when beckoned out of boredom

Yes, you clearly know lots about cats and your opinion on them should be valued.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Granted the author of the article did say that it made a lot of pet owners uncomfortable. It's not nice to have to consider these things.

What exactly was he discussing with that line though? Because it pretty clearly says this literally just before it:

quote:

Vale does not – as some of his critics seem to assume – advocate a mass cull of the world's pets.

What is then talked about is feeding your pets vermin:

quote:

For example, the book suggests catching vermin such as rats and processing them into a "natural" cat food

I personally have no issue with this, although you would have to have worming treatment more often.

and this:

quote:

Equally, the book proposes a return to the days when families would – hence the book's title – have edible pets.

Which in context would be worse for the environment than most responsible pet owners (that have neutered pets and don't let them wreck the environment etc.)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Frogmanv2 posted:

If only they didn't slaughter millions of native animals

Or alternatively, buy a door.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Anidav posted:

I want to like cats but they all run away from me because I am tall and I have a deep voice so I look like Cat Lucifer to them.

Sit still and look away. Acting enthusiastic towards most cats triggers their "everything interested in me that isn't a cat wants to eat me" response.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

iajanus posted:

I find it easiest just to bend down closer to their level, put out a hand toward them slowly and then just stay still until their innate curiosity compels them to come and smell your hand and decide you're not threatening; then you can tickle them or hug them or pick them up and put funny hats on them as per your wish.

That too. Make sure to tickle their tummy if they roll over. In no way will that go badly for anybody ever.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

cheers, i have no idea who would argue against feeding poor people

You were arguing that pet food, which you can get made almost entirely out of products that would have been used as waste, could somehow be reconstituted further than it already is and fed to the poor despite citing nothing to back up that this is even possible. Meat unfit for human consumption + X = food fit for human consumption, solve for X

quote:

Sure you could feed pets food that is not fit for human consumption, but you could also recycle it back into the production chain to produce human-suitable food for feeding the third world.

And no it wasn't me.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

The easiest way around the welfare card is via those payday lenders who will let you set up a centrepay deduction with them under the category (loan repayment) and then they'll just hand you the cash every fortnight less their cut of 20% or whatever.

All you need is to know someone who isn't on welfare who will pay you back for buying their groceries. Even if you don't, if you are that desperate for cash, let them pay you back 90c on the dollar or whatever.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Beetphyxious posted:

Yes. Unless it's it's trialled across whole communities / whatever

I can't imagine Twiggy putting support to the idea that rich people shouldn't be able to spend their own money.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

QUACKTASTIC posted:

People will also be denied protection if they could "take reasonable steps" to modify their behaviour, unless that behaviour was "fundamental" to their identity.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-15/peter-dutton-rules-out-transferring-pregnant-asylum-seekers/6856708

Despite all the horrible poo poo highlighted, :wtc: does this even mean

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Two things about the recent UPF changeover.

1. You should all watch the video, purely to see him brought to tears.
2. The leadership has been passed on to a bloke called Blair Cottrell, who is a literal Nazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

freebooter posted:

I just don't understand how you can foster a racial hatred of an almost entirely absent and/or invisible minority group.

Boat people.

• Locked thread