Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
So what if Tony Abbott ate an onion?

See how quickly the left falls back on mainstream perceptions of "normality" when it suits them. You shall eat vegetables only in the approved manner, comrade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

It's the laziest journalism in the world to find a disgruntled architect and write down what he/she says. My special snowflake artistic vision was ruined :allears:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Open borders is not the threat to the core concept of a nation state that it's made out to be. But you can't just throw away the idea that a nation is bound by a common character which territorial integrity contributes towards. Nations are more than a useful political unit for governance.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Open borders means literally anyone.

No id requirement.

All of society's undesirables, because if you start filtering out the rapists, assaulters, religious fundamentalists etc it's not open anymore is it?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

open24hours posted:

Well yeah, exactly.

Would we still extradite people to face charges in other countries?

Well in this example open borders is the manifestation of individual freedom of movement.

If you are going to put that *personal* freedom on a pedestal then it trumps mere national interests such as accused people facing prosecution.

I guess further. Open borders tells you that you can come in. It doesn't say anything about what happens once you are inside the border beyond a bare right to remain. A country can have open borders but still require people to get a permit if they want to work, register to pay tax, etc.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

10% is a nice round number for a GST, I suggest increasing it to 13.96% for reasons

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Wait you mean after financing the construction of cheaply made, overpriced apartments in China, creating an artificial supply that's resulted in a tonne of empty blocks, those same investors are now looking to finance apartments in Australia

Working is for schmucks, property development is the best gig ever.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Clive palmer wanted to be a lawyer when he was a kid but the world forced him to go into real estate and then mining.

Australian capitalism rewards people who can look at an empty space of wilderness and think to themselves yep, can make bulk cash by ruining this

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's also the bit in there where he ran Joh's election campaigns.

What bit is that? In the quarterly essay on him it claims the media director title he had was largely just that.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Maybe. It is layered, like onions, which Tony Abbott ate raw, skin and all (twice).

What is actually wrong with what he did

Or is it just funny

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

if conditions in immigration detention were actually acceptable to good then you'd get people writing letters to the herald sun about how reffos get free foxtel

asylum shoppers would become asylum tourists, like literally people deciding it would be nice to take a holiday to somewhere with beds, aircon and a free flight home at the expense of the Australian taxpayer

nope. better to push it all offshore and engage in a voters: politicians game of dont ask dont tell.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

People use a coffee filter to separate out the ibuprofen or paracetamol from the tablets and drink the resulting codeine water. Google it.

Since you can have an effectively unlimited supply of tablets you can get high constantly and legally. Codeine is a scheduled drug in most developed countries for good reason.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

"No one, however smart, however well educated, however experienced, is the suppository of all wisdom."

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

That skin crawling, creepy wink when the sex worker called the radio show.

I think that wink was meant to to say "it's okay, no need to terminate the call" rather than what you're reading into it which seems to be something like a knowing snigger between two men?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The whole world can be obsessed with how things look, it doesn't change the nature of what they are.

If you are on the radio and need to convey something instantly to the host without talking, winking is effective.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 2, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Anidav posted:

on.

Your tax dollars at work.

Flags and posters were also present.

Be careful or one of the border farts will confiscate your phone

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

My favourite Tony Abbott quote is one that admits he is dumb at making words with his face hole

"I know politicians are going to be judged on everything they say, but sometimes in the heat of discussion you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark.

"Which is one of the reasons why the statements that need to be taken absolutely as gospel truth are those carefully prepared, scripted remarks."

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The second amendment is a cautionary tale about entrenched bills of rights.

The one aspect I would want from US politics is the willingness of Congressmen and Senators to cross the floor.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

People with no mates should get sick and starve to death - Tony Abbott

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

why is a crime committed by a juvenile being treated as terrorism instead of a mental health and gun control problem its so dumb

e: gently caress my keyboard

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The ALP spends so much of its energy polling that they are able to identify the hot button issues for this important block of voters.

Either that or members actually spent time talking to their constituents?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If people have already decided for themselves private school = better, why try to improve public education, right Bill?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Refugees in the community in Australia are also subject to random abuse and vilification from the locals. The difference is, what, Australia is a bigger place? Refugees can more easily blend in? That's assimilationist bunk.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

freebooter posted:

Australia is a huge, wealthy, prosperous country where they can have a future. Nauru is not.

What's the end game here? Are we still running on "arrive by boat and YOU WILL NOT BE SETTLED IN AUSTRALIA"? Are the refugees who now get day trips to the beach still being processed for settlement in Australia, or are they in limbo with the only other option being to go home? Or are they now being expected to settle in Nauru? Or is Cambodia or wherever the gently caress it was still on the table?

This is how loving torturous and nonsensical Australian refugee policy has become - I pay more attention to it than most average Joes but I still have no clue what the deal is these days.

Well you are talking about resettlement which is the end stage that less than 1% of refugees are able to access globally.

Most refugees chose either local integration or to return when it is safe to do so. Being free to enter the community in Nauru is better than returning or being held in a camp, but not as good as being resettled, obviously. In my opinion resettlement places should be offered to people who are waiting in UN camps on an equal footing to boat arrivals who can self select but that could just be my overactive sense of fairness. If countries are going to be stingy with offering resettlement then at least offer those places in a way that gives people who aren't rich enough to pay people smugglers a chance.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 5, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

BBJoey posted:

Here's how things are going to play out on Nauru. The prison camps we had the refugees locked up in were abominable. Nonetheless we/the Nauruan government had to make sure they were sheltered, clothed, fed and given water to some degree, however slight. The refugees will now be free. Good for them! They can now live the dream albeit on a tiny island nation with no resources and a GDP per capita of $5,000. There is no employment for them, the local populace hates them and neither the Nauruan nor our government has any duty of care for them. They have no method of leaving Nauru.

They are currently allowed to leave during the day, they are now allowed to leave 24 hours a day. The government is not washing it's hands of them

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

BBJoey posted:

and what happens when they shut down the camp entirely :ssh:
Well I would hope build a more appropriate form of community housing and transition other services to match. But that's entirely hypothetical for now.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The point I was making is that the camp isn't closing, merely allowing people to come and go as they please, so the whole hand wringing post about Australia and/or Nauru not having any continuing obligations to provide for the refugees was in error. People are still being housed and fed in the same manner, the door is just left open. It's not naive to think that a logical development is more appropriate accommodation for this new living arrangement.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 5, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

hooman posted:

"When you check-in for your flight to Australia, airline staff will use your passport details to check if you have a valid visa to travel to Australia before allowing you to board the aircraft. This will usually only takes seconds to complete. This is completed electronically and there is no need for a visa label in your passport."

From here: http://www.border.gov.au/Visasupport/Documents/travelling-without-visa-label.pdf

You can't get on a plane to here without one.

And if like that American abortion dude you sneak onto a plane, you get detained on arrival at the airport and put on a plane straight back. There is checking at both ends, at the Australian end it's border fart.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Could you put people on small planes and fly into a remote part of northern Australia undetected? Does border fart have an air fart?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The economics of a plane carrying 5 people probably don't work for people smugglers, not unless each person has a butt filled with cocaine or something.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

freebooter posted:

This true of lots of other countries as well. Do not make the mistake, for example, of booking a flight to the US without having a return or onward ticket, because they won't let you board the plane.

Also I recently flew from Europe to Perth with a bunch of stopovers and two different airlines, and for my flight to Kuala Lumpur the Emirates desk clerk (back at the airport in Europe) demanded to see my onward travel details. I explained that I was flying with a different airline from KL and it was none of Emirates' business, and she explained that the Malaysian government will not allow people to enter unless they have proof of onward travel. Like, seriously, guys? Malaysia?

Look at this infographic from amnesty

http://www.amnesty.org.au/refugees/comments/27690/

People from Afghanistan use fake documents to get into Malaysia. It begs the question of if you have a fake passport why not fly directly to Australia. Maybe border fart aren't useless and actually detect fake stuff reasonably competently?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Execu-speak posted:

The debate in this thread about the NSW shooting is so cute. The offender is on CCTV running up and down out front of the building yelling, "Allah akbar".

You dumb cunts need to stop shoving your heads up your asses in the name of political correctness and call a spare a spade. It's terrorism related.

Was it terrorism when i banged ur mom she was yelling jesus gently caress oh god

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

'gently caress tha police' is a legit political aim

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

religion is just a highly specific form of mental illness

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

look, terrorism is a means to an end. kid was obviously politically motivated.

I mean who just goes around yelling allah ackbar. apart from you know, a billion muslims.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

sometimes people yell it before they cross the street

obviously an act of intimidation at passing drivers, terrorism

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Is it OK to fatshame middle aged men who post shirtless photos of themselves on the internet

The gut hanging out below the sign written in texta really makes the image

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

It would be awesome if the hc said you can't outsource migration detention to a third country without very specific enabling legislation.

But a) then they would just make the legislation and b) the hc isn't going to say that anyway.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The Peccadillo posted:

That guy was Rudd's Peta Credlin, but wrote a children's book with him instead of power-broke. He's the coolest but he's an odball

Kevin Rudd was secretly having a lot of gay sex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

People shouldn't get pissed about Lynton Crosby. Yes, he is good at identifying wedge issues. So what. Identifying insecurities in society and working them to your electoral advantage only works because those divisions exist in the first place.

• Locked thread