Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.theguardian.com/australi...-getting-bigger

Paul Keating is a dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

open24hours posted:

Rudd was reasonably popular though. No one likes Abbott except for people like Abbott, who are a minority in the public and in the party. After Rudd was knifed everyone seemed a bit shocked, they just seem relieved this time.

Labor tried too hard to protect Rudd that the public never saw his failures. Malcolm was smart enough to give Abbott enough rope to hang himself.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Laserface posted:

look how good australia is at gun control guys.

*guys shoot up cops HQ*

If only the police had had guns this could've been averted.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Birb Katter posted:

Police did have guns and one of the 2 people shot was the gunman by a cop.

Woosh.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
:thejoke:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Scott Morrison encourages states to let private sector run schools and hospitals

The finance minister, Mathias Cormann, says the idea would include providers competing with each other to deliver better health services

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

freebooter posted:

Did IS actually claim responsibility for Monis? I thought he was just totally lone wolf. Wasn't he a Shiite? And a former practitioner of black magic, or something like that, the kind of thing that would get you beheaded in Raqqa?

edit - I mean lone wolf in the sense that he tried to associate himself with IS and they weren't interested, like a Milhouse figure trying to hang out with the cool kids.

They claimed support of their ally in Australia yadda yadda. They had literally no idea who he was but were just claiming support anyway.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Yes.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Pickled Tink posted:

Voldemort?

Australia today: White guy kills someone = Sad but regular crime. Middle Eastern looking guy kills someone = Terrorism.

I'm half surprised they haven't attempted to claim a muslim having a sneeze is "committing a bio-warfare attack on are soil".

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/parramatta-shooting-hizb-uttahrir-links-to-teen-gunman-farhad-jabar-khalil-mohammad-alleged-20151004-gk10wh.html

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Brisbane Uber attacks: Taxi Council Queensland cites industry anger in condemning alleged assaults on drivers
UPDATED ABOUT AN HOUR AGO
Email Facebook Twitter
Taxi Council Queensland has condemned an alleged assault on two Uber drivers in Brisbane, but says there is anger in the taxi industry toward the ride sharing service.

A group of about five men allegedly attacked one driver and grabbed his mobile phone at 1:50am while he was sitting in his car on Wickham Street in Fortitude Valley.

At 3:15am, a second Uber driver was allegedly assaulted and his car damaged on River Terrace at Kangaroo Point.

The 49-year-old driver was treated at the scene for cuts and bruises to his head.

Another man sitting in his car in Fortitude Valley was allegedly punched and his vehicle damaged.

Uber released a statement saying it hoped the attacks were not an attempt to intimidate the burgeoning businesses.

"The taxi lobby and its associates have long used fear, misinformation and intimidation in its campaign against ridesharing," the statement said.

"It would be a very worrying turn of events if these alleged assaults happened as a result of this campaign.

"We call on Taxi Council Queensland to condemn this type of behaviour immediately."

Queensland Government siding with taxis: Uber
The Taxi Council condemned the assault, but vice president Bill Parker said in a statement he could understand why it happened.

Mr Parker said he did not know anything about the attack and did not support violence.

However, Mr Parker said there was anger in the taxi industry towards the ride sharing service.

"If, and this is a big if, someone went out of their way to take the law into their own hands, I could understand that happening," he said.

Uber, which offers a pick-up and drop-off service using a credit card, wants to be recognised as a ride sharing operation, rather than a taxi.

It has accused the Queensland Government of siding with the established taxi industry.

"We also urge the Queensland Government to quickly begin their review of the point-to-point industry and implement sensible, safety-based ridesharing regulations to provide certainty to the 4,000 ridesharing drivers and hundreds of thousands of riders in Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and remove any ambiguity for the broader industry," they said.

Now the taxis moving on to straight up organised crime racketeering to protect its monopoly.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

The Peccadillo posted:

Someone said in here that the internal word is that there aren't plans to get 'im, even when they lose the election

The internal word was based on the Party Bubble. They may have said "well our spin doctors say we need to keep him around to show we don't backstab anymore and we're struck with him" even though y'know it's being investigated over branch stacking that got him into power in the first place being against the rules and potentially illegal.

Fact is they have an out to get rid of him, and a year is a long time in politics let alone the next three months. There's going to be a lot of people talking to Shorten telling him to walk away before he is pushed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also nothing you guys on literal gangs of thugs who are either taxi drivers or friends or "hired goons" beating up drivers in Brisbane? And the taxi vice president saying he understand the anger to justify you know three assaults. Really nothing?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

BBJoey posted:

gently caress uber, imo

Please explain "gently caress uber" as extending to beating up the workers without being a hypocrite regarding the working class and workers v the executive :allears:

i'll wait

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Starshark posted:

The personal is political. All violence is terrorism.

It's been pretty well established that "terrorism" as it exists to bring about a societal shift does on the majority not work, i.e. 9/11 was counterproductive to Bin Laden's aims. There are exceptions to this, in which the IRA bombings did eventually lead to peace and more even ground or South Africa where most people forget that Nelson Mandela himself was a bomber and "terrorist" (to the apartheid government, the whole "one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter"). But to uniform "all violence is terrorism" is re-defining what terrorism is because its not politically palatable.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Starshark posted:

I'm just saying I need more evidence. If someone shot a cop and said 'Praise the Lord' you wouldn't be calling it terrorism. Why are Muslims subject to greater scrutiny?

I'm pretty sure when The Last Rhodesian shot up a church in the name of blacks taking over the world it was subject to be rated terrorism. This really is a case of people going too far in the other extreme and now nothing is terrorism because everything is terrorism.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Brisbane taxi boss boasts of bashing Uber driver on Facebook

A 30-year Brisbane taxi industry veteran has bragged of bashing an Uber driver in a social media post and encouraged others in the industry to "get more militant" and do the same.

Greg Collins, the owner of the Virginia-based cab company Complete Taxi Management, admitted on the Brisbane Taxi Driver Facebook page on Sunday that he had physically assaulted an Uber driver, as the war between the industry and the ride-sharing app's drivers escalates.

"F---ing slap him like I did to the prick in Warner St the other night, I am f---ing over them. You wait I will f---ing get them. They won't and can't defend themselves they are illegal. If it was 30 years ago in my time, they wouldn't last five minutes," he wrote, in response to a post by a taxi driver who claimed to have been assaulted by an Uber driver while trying to take his photo.

"We need to get more militant about this issue. The (sic) are the f---ing scabs stealing what we have all worked for."

When contacted for comment on Monday, Mr Collins tried to dismiss the post as a joke.

"I've never slapped an Uber driver in my life, we were mucking around," he said.

"It's not true, I don't break the law.

"I spoke to an Uber driver but I don't want to elaborate, they are illegal."

Mr Collins insisted his name not be used, saying the page on which he made the comments was a closed group.

The Brisbane Taxi Driver Facebook Page is an open public forum, accessible by any person with a Facebook profile.

Mr Collins did not deny posting the comments but declined to comment on what he meant by saying drivers needed to "get more militant".

The cab company boss runs 65 cars, according to the Yellow Cabs, which utilises his business as part of its fleet service.

Fairfax Media contacted Yellow Cabs for comment on Monday.

Mr Collins's social media history shows he has long been waging a measured anti-Uber campaign.

However, Sunday's post appears to be the first time he has, in less eloquent terminology than he has previously used, openly encouraged other drivers to take matters into their own hands.

"When the government of the day refuses to enforce the laws it created and allows a foreign illegal organisation to operate with impunity without any regards to its citizens, that is treason," he wrote.

"That calls for action by people to protect their laws. I say stuff them and we need to do what they won't. They hurt me and my family. It's war."

The social media revelations come as three men, including two Uber drivers, were bashed by the same group of men in inner Brisbane early Monday morning, in what appeared to be attacks specifically targeted at Uber drivers.

A spokesman for the US-based ride-sharing company expressed concern the attacks were the result of a sustained scare campaign run by the taxi lobby, both nationally and within Queensland, warning of the dangers of using ride-sharing apps, and specifically Uber.

The Taxi Council of Queensland declined to comment.

In an interview with Fairfax Media on Monday, the first Uber driver attacked by the group early Monday said there was no doubt the group had targeted him because he worked for the ride-sharing app.

"I strongly suspect they were off-duty taxi drivers as they were full of hatred towards Uber and yelling abruptly that our taxis are suffering because of Uber, f--- Uber, etcetera," he said.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/brisbane-taxi-boss-boasts-of-bashing-uber-driver-on-facebook-20151005-gk1s3k.html

Yay literal mob violence and intimidation.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
well this is a thing

quote:

A student who allegedly threatened a Sydney police station on his Facebook page has been arrested on his way to the same school attended by the teenager who shot dead a police accountant last week.

Police said they spoke to the teenage boy on his way to Arthur Phillip High School in Parramatta this morning in relation to alleged posts on social media.

They said the student then threatened and intimidated police and he was arrested.

It comes after Farhad Jabar Khalil Mohammad shot and killed 17-year police force veteran and accountant Curtis Cheng at close range outside the NSW Police headquarters in Parramatta on Friday.

The Year 10 student was killed by police in front of the building after he shot dead Mr Cheng.

There was a heavy police presence at the school this morning which is just metres from the scene of last week's fatal shooting.

On Saturday, the teenager arrested this morning allegedly posted a video on Facebook of Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione addressing the public about the shooting with the caption "merryland [sic] police station is next hope they all burn in hell".

The student arrested this morning had his belongings emptied on the footpath.

He was handcuffed and taken in a police van to Parramatta Police Station.

At the time, the student told the ABC that police had taken offence to him videoing them on his mobile phone.

The ABC saw a senior police inspector looking at the content of the boy's mobile phone.

Students at Arthur Phillip High School returned for the first time today since the fatal shooting last week.

The NSW Department of Education is offering counselling services to students and teachers this morning.

A number of students expressed their shock at the shooting incident, describing Farhad as quiet, polite and "a nice kid".

Students who knew Farhad said he enjoyed playing basketball at the school.

Premier Mike Baird has vowed to track down anyone who helped or encouraged teenage gunman Farhad to carry out the attack.

"I find it incredible to think that a 15-year-old boy could undertake this action without any form of help or assistance or encouragement," he said.

"And I can assure you that if he was ... those people who have undertaken any inciting or any encouragement to undertake such a horrendous crime, we will track them down and they will face the full consequences."

But Mr Baird would not say whether police had made progress trying to find the teenager's sister, who is understood to have travelled to Turkey and may be trying to reach Iraq or Syria.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Sky News was running a "penalty rates costing tge small business owner". Said business owner being a man who owns 64 bakerys. He said penalty rates cost him 50k per "penalty" day. Yes small business.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-probe-teen-gunmans-school-connections-and-group-spreading-islamic-state-ideology-20151006-gk2pmp.html

quote:

Police probe teen gunman's school connections and group spreading Islamic State ideology

The teenage killer responsible for gunning down a police employee in Parramatta turned "distant" in the weeks prior to the shooting but was still diligently attending voluntary lunchtime prayer sessions that are now the subject of a state government audit.

Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar's playground connections have become a key focus for authorities who are trying to piece together the quiet teen's sudden radicalisation.

Fresh details have emerged of a small group of students at Arthur Phillip High School spreading Islamic State ideology.

Fairfax Media can reveal that Jabar was in the same year as a 15-year-old Islamic State supporter who yelled abuse outside a Christian school and flew the terror group's flag through western Sydney.

The teenager, who cannot be named, was ordered to participate in a youth offenders conference for driving past the Maronite College of the Holy Family in Harris Park on September 16, 2014 yelling death threats. He was flying an Islamic State flag out the passenger window.

Two days earlier, the boy's older brother and one of the brother's friends, both former Arthur Phillip students, were targeted in pre-dawn anti-terrorism raids across Sydney.

On Tuesday, police arrested another year 10 student on his way to school because of social media posts he wrote in the aftermath of Friday's shooting, including a threat that Merrylands police station "is next, hope they all burn in hell".

Several students have confirmed to Fairfax Media that Jabar would, without fail, attend voluntary lunchtime prayer groups every Friday with a group of Muslim students and supervising teachers.

The state government is auditing all voluntary lunchtime religious groups following allegations that students were preaching extremism in sessions at Epping Boys High.

"No matter what he was doing, he would always drop it to ask the teacher if he could go into the classroom and pray," said one student.

Jabar was a talented basketball player and considered the best in the school's under-15s team however he became distant in the weeks before the end of the last school term.

"He didn't show up to any of our games, he would just disappear," said a close friend and teammate, Peter, whose surname has been withheld.

"I asked him what was happening and he just said 'Oh I had to go home to finish off some assignments'."

Peter said Jabar would go to Parramatta mosque every afternoon unless he had basketball training or tutoring.

However, he also said Jabar was a cheerful, smart, private student who never spoke about religion openly at school and was not a ringleader.

"He would go to the mosque but he didn't like talking about religion. He'd rather joke around so it doesn't make any sense what he's done.

"We had some teammates who were always talking about religion and extremist stuff and he would always tell them to be quiet, he'd change the topic."

A year 11 student who knew Jabar said he didn't show any signs of radicalisation.

"I couldn't believe it, I never thought it could be him," he said. "He got brainwashed.

"I have seen the mosques around here ... they tell you all this stuff and fill your head with it. Once you get brainwashed they show you books ... and makes you hate other sectors."

Fairfax Media has been told by a source at Parramatta mosque that Jabar was among a group of friends who sometimes wagged school to pray there.

One month of CCTV footage from the mosque has been handed to police.

He attended the mosque again on Friday afternoon before walking to the police building on Charles Street and opening fire, killing accountant Curtis Cheng.

Commissioner Andrew Scipione, Premier Mike Baird and Police Minister Troy Grant were among those who laid flowers at the scene on Tuesday before speaking with the special constables who killed Jabar in a short gun battle.

Mr Scipione vowed that "everything ... will be done" to understand how a 15-year-old schoolboy could kill a well-respected employee as he left work.

"There is no way you can describe the hurt inside that building and right across the NSW Police force at the moment," he said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-pr...l#ixzz3nmNFdiGS
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav posted:

Hey, how did he get ahold of an ISIS flag? I thought the AFP and Customs were hawking that sort of stuff after the Sydney Siege.

the Siege was in December, this was in September.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Five people have been arrested in a series of counter-terrorism raids across Sydney's west early on Wednesday morning that police say are linked to the fatal shooting outside NSW Police's Parramatta headquarters last week.

A 16-year-old boy is among those arrested in the raids, which were carried out about 6am at homes in Merrylands, Guildford, Wentworthville and Marsfield.

All of the five males arrested were aged 24 years or younger.

Police said the males had been taken to various police stations in Sydney and were being questioned over the execution of Curtis Cheng, who was shot in the head outside the Parramatta police building on Friday afternoon.

About 200 police officers were involved in Wednesday morning's raids at Bursill Street in Guildford, Lane Street in Wentworthville, Lockwood Street in Merrylands, and Booth Street in Marsfield.

Those arrested are a 16-year-old boy and an 18-year-old man from Wentworthville; a 22-year-old man and a 24-year-old man from Merrylands; and, a 22-year-old man from Marsfield.

The arrests were made as part of a joint investigation by NSW Police, officers from the Homicide Squad and Australian Federal Police.

Mr Cheng, an accountant who had worked for NSW Police for 17 years, was leaving work about 4.30pm on Friday when 15-year-old gunman Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar shot him in the back of the head.

A special constable then shot and killed Farhad, a Year 10 student from the nearby Arthur Phillip High School.

Farhad's playground connections had become a key focus for authorities who were trying to piece together the quiet teen's sudden radicalisation.

He was a talented basketball player and considered the best in the school's under-15s team, however he became distant in the weeks before the end of the last school term, a classmate said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/terror-raids-in-western-sydney-after-fatal-parramatta-shooting-20151006-gk2u71.html#ixzz3np8aXoXg

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Three of the four homes raided by counter-terrorism police on Wednesday morning were also targeted in sweeping pre-dawn raids in September 2014.

More than 200 police have raided homes in Guildford, Wentworthville, Merrylands and Marsfield as part of the investigation into the death of police accountant Curtis Cheng, 58, at Parramatta last Friday afternoon.

One of the targeted men spoke to Fairfax Media on Tuesday night, just hours before his home in Wentworthville was raided by heavily armed police.
The 22-year-old, who cannot be named, has a 16-year-old brother who was in the same year at Arthur Phillip High as teen gunman Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar.

The 16-year-old student was arrested last year, when he was just 14, for driving past a Christian school in Harris Park, yelling death threats and flying an Islamic State flag.

When Fairfax Media asked the 22-year-old in an interview via Facebook on Tuesday night about his younger brother's connection to Jabar, he fired back, saying the killing of Muslims around the world was more important than Mr Cheng's death.

"Why don't you do something useful?" he said. "And talk about real events occurring in Palestine. The killing of Muslims all ova the world [sic]. The oppressions in Burma, Palestine."

The 22-year-old was detained during Operation Appleby raids in 2014 but was later released without charge.

On Wednesday, his younger brothers, aged 16 and 18, were arrested following the second raid on their family apartment in Lane Street, Wentworthville.

The home raided in Bursill Street, Guildford, on Wednesday is believed to be the family home of Omarjan Azari, 23, who was arrested in September 2014 for allegedly planning a terrorist act.

Police allege he had a phone call with Mohammad Ali Baryalei, Australia's most senior member of the terrorist group Islamic State, and was told to pluck a random person off the street and behead them.

The home raided in Booth Street, Marsfield, is home to 22-year-old Mustafa Dirani, who was also detained during the Operation Appleby raids in 2014, but not charged.

Among the items seized from his family home last year was a sword, which Mr Dirani said was a common house decoration made from plastic. The Australian Federal Police have refuted that, saying it was a legitimate weapon.

Mr Dirani was arrested on Wednesday morning and taken to a police station to be interviewed.

Two men, aged 22 and 24, were also arrested following a raid on a home in Lockwood Street, Merrylands.

All five men have been taken to various police stations to be interviewed in relation to Friday's fatal shooting, a police statement said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/why-dont-you-do-something-useful-mans-spray-before-terror-raid-20151006-gk2wxn.html#ixzz3npr0jlTf

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Amethyst posted:

Saying it's all the cops' fault is an equally stupid addition to that list.

I'm agreeing with Amethyst. People holding that as an absolutist view or the 'correct' one are approaching apologists.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
It's becoming clearer its the same people, its a small group interconnected, as the same names appear it can be clearer this is the lunatic fringe. These are the dangerous ones and should be treated as such and being contained will render this the same as other off shoot cults and can be alienated from the mainstrram rather than the media comcluding they have any bearing on Islam.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hooman posted:

Wait, it's illegal according to our terrorism laws to take a photo while on a train?

I... loving what?

It isnt

Hence why she won

Cop was a tool

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
THE weapon used by teen terrorist Farhad Jabar was believed to be sourced from a Middle Eastern crime gang and police suspect it was handed to the schoolboy at the Parramatta mosque.

Details about where he got the gun and its original source were established early in the investigation but the Telegraph was asked by police not to release details until after today’s raids.

lice believe a known Middle Eastern crime figure passed the .38 Smith and Wesson on to a radical without knowing exactly what it was to be used for.

It’s believed the weapon then ended up in the hands of the 15-year-old at the mosque just hours before he killed Curtis Cheng last Friday afternoon outside Police Headquarters.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
In lighter news

Breaking news
Police raid the home of ex-union official Kathy Jackson south of Sydney

SHE DID IT

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

High school student Farhad Jabar was recruited by a group of western Sydney extremists to carry out a terrorist attack because they thought they were under too much surveillance to do it themselves, police believe.

CCTV from Parramatta Mosque, now in the hands of police, shows several men meeting Jabar at the mosque on Friday, hours before the quiet year 10 student walked to the Parramatta police headquarters and shot accountant Curtis Cheng, 58, in the back of the head.

yup

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Brisbane taxi drivers charged over attacks on Uber drivers

Police say two men were part of a group who allegedly punched drivers and another motorist, stole one of their phones and damaged their cars

Two taxi drivers have been charged over allegedly targeted attacks against Uber drivers who where sitting in their cars in central Brisbane.

The drivers, aged 26 and 29 from Calamvale, were allegedly part of a group who attacked two Uber drivers and another motorist mistaken for an employee of the ridesharing app early on Monday morning at Fortitude Valley and Kangaroo Point.

The group allegedly punched the drivers, stole one of their phones and damaged the cars before fleeing.

The two men will appear in Brisbane magistrates court on Friday charged with a string of offences including assault occasioning bodily harm, stealing and unlawful entry of a vehicle.

The arrests come amid rising frustrations among taxi drivers, who claim the app is operating illegally in Queensland.

An independent review of the state’s taxi plan is not due until next August.

Former Main Roads director general Jim Varghese was on Wednesday appointed to review the plan, which expires this year and includes limousine and ride-share services.

Transport minister Jackie Trad has fended off calls from both sides to act, insisting her government will not rush the process.
Meanwhile police say their investigations into the recent assaults are continuing.

Unsurprising.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Socialist Brutality Against Police

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/national/all-teenage-jihadis-came-from-public-school-system-20151009-gk5vdu.html

well this is happening

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/vic-labor-hit-by-mega-branchstack-scam-20151009-gk5qqs.html

quote:

Anonymous gift cards were used to pay the dues of hundreds of ALP members at the core of Bill Shorten's local power base in one of the biggest-ever branch-stacking scams to hit the Victorian Labor party.

Insiders close to it say the operation has run for years and is closely linked to the plumbers union and suburban Labor warlords loyal to Mr Shorten and fellow federal frontbencher, Stephen Conroy.

Documents obtained by Fairfax Media reveal that in 2013, gift cards worth thousands of dollars were used to pay Labor memberships of plumbers union officials and suburban branch members.

Among them is Plumbing Trades Employees Union organiser and Whittlesea councillor Norm Kelly. He denied any knowledge of the gift cards and insisted he always paid his own membership.

Many of the members involved appear to be of Lebanese background and linked to northern suburban powerbroker David Asmar, the husband of Diana Asmar, the Victorian secretary of the trouble-plagued Health Services Union No.1 branch.

Another group appears to centre on the family of former plumbers union assistant secretary Tony Murphy, who for many years was a party powerbroker in Melbourne's north.

The documents show the gift cards were used to buy hundreds of memberships in the last two weeks of May 2013, the period in which "multiple" party memberships are habitually renewed before the 30 May renewal deadline. Fairfax Media understands the gift cards were also used in 2012 and, to a lesser extent, in 2014.

Sources close to the branch-stacking say that, before online membership was introduced allowing gift cards to be employed, cash was used to pay the memberships.

Branch stacking involves factional players signing up new members, or renewing memberships, in bulk. Cash for payment of membership dues often comes from unions or union slush funds.

For factional warlords, the "stacks" represent numbers and power within Labor – numbers to be traded in factional and sub-factional deals and wielded in important policy and preselection battles.

The Visa gift cards used by the branch stackers are, in effect, disposable debit cards that do not show who the cardholder is or who paid for them.

Money can be placed on the cards but the cards expire once the money is used.

Each card has an individual card number, similar to a debit or credit card, and an expiry date. The lack of ability to trace who paid for them make them ideal for branch stacking.

One Labor member, Rebecca Sinclair, whose membership was paid for by an anonymous gift card said she had never used a gift card.

She said she could not recall paying for her membership in recent years.

"I seriously can't remember," she said.

Under Victorian Labor's splintered factional arrangements the plumbers, and associated party members, make up a right-wing sub-faction loyal to Shorten.

While the HSU is not currently affiliated to the ALP – it disaffiliated in 2011 amid the scandals surrounding former leaders Craig Thomson and Michael Williamson – it is an important factional resource.

The Labor leader's close friend and confidant Andrew Landeryou was a key player in Asmar's takeover of the HSU, and remains an important influence.

In August, aspiring ALP numbers man Haykel Handal was expelled from the party after a tribunal found him guilty of using anonymous debit cards to pay for about 30 memberships in the federal seats of Maribyrnong, Gellibrand and Melbourne.

Now, with the precedent firmly set, the party faces the dilemma of whether to investigate and take action over a much larger branch-stacking scam connected to more senior players in Shorten's group.

The May 2013 gift card renewals overlap with the PTEU's receipt and distribution of $36,000 from a controversial employer-bankrolled slush fund known as Industry 2020, run by Mr Shorten's successor as Australian Workers Union secretary, Cesar Melhem.

Industry 2020 was wound up when Mr Melhem was parachuted into a safe Victorian upper house seat in May 2013.

The PTEU registered its own fund in May 2013, the Progressive Social Campaign Inc, to receive and distribute some of the funds that remained in the Industry 2020 account.

Last year, plumbers union secretary Earl Setches told the trade union royal commission that all the money inherited by his Progressive Social Campaigns was paid out to "the guys who were on strike" at the time.

Mr Melhem was forced to stand down as Labor upper house whip in June after the royal commission heard allegations of a deal he did as AWU secretary with a cleaning company that left workers on lower pay in return for cash payments to the AWU.

A series of internal reviews and inquiries into branch stacking of led to numerous calls for reform. In his first major speech as Opposition Leader last year Mr Shorten promised sweeping internal reform of the ALP. However the reform push has stalled.

In March, a move to crack down on branch stacking through rules requiring all membership dues be paid by traceable means, such as a personal credit card, was defeated at state conference.

Labor even offers members a $15 discount if they pay by traceable means.

ALP Victorian secretary Noah Carroll declined to comment. Mr Setches did not respond to calls or SMS messages.

More Bill Shorten branch stacking to protect his mates.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Former prime minister Kevin Rudd has hit back at comments by one of his ex-colleagues that he was a "megalomaniac" who put Australia's safety in jeopardy.

The accusations were made by former environment minister Peter Garrett on Channel 7's Sunday Night program, in what was billed as Mr Garrett's first substantial interview since leaving politics two years ago.

The interview coincided with the release of his upcoming memoir Big Blue Sky on Wednesday.

In one passage of the book, read by interviewer Melissa Doyle, Mr Garrett claimed the safety of Australia was potentially threatened while Mr Rudd was leader.

"It's a big call, but I stand by it," Mr Garrett said, adding the former Labor prime minister treated people with "an enormous amount of contempt" and made "the business of the country almost ungovernable".

When pushed on what danger he feared Mr Rudd posed, Mr Garrett said the former PM was "unpredictable" and he didn't know what he "could or would do".

"I mean, even with [John] Howard you know where he stood," he said.

"I'm not a great fan of John Howard's, and he wouldn't be a great fan of mine, but that aspect of his prime ministership I sort of understand and respond to."

On Monday morning, a spokeswoman for Mr Rudd rubbished the claims, denying they had any substance.

"Peter Garrett is trying to sell a book. I have no idea what else he's doing these days," the spokeswoman told Fairfax Media.

"If Mr Garrett were serious about these accusations he would have made them five years ago. Not try to rewrite history now."

In his time as environment minister, Mr Garrett was not a member of the cabinet's National Security Committee, which formulates strategies to deal with Australia's security and focuses on other classified matters, and would not have been privy to its decisions.

In another passage from the book, Mr Garrett wrote that supporting Mr Rudd was "certainly the biggest" mistake he made in his political career.

"I've been particularly strong in this book about leadership and Rudd's leadership and I think it needed to be said," Mr Garrett said.

"I'm critical of him, that's true, very critical, but I think for good reason."

Mr Garrett stepped down from politics in 2013, when Julia Gillard was ousted as prime minister.

Both Mr Rudd and Mr Garrett last year appeared before the royal commission into the former Labor government's home insulation scheme in which four installers died. Mr Garrett had originally been in charge of the scheme, but after the deaths Mr Rudd replaced him with Greg Combet, saying the former ACTU secretary had better experience with workplace safety issues.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...l#ixzz3oK1z9KZP

So Garrett is on the record as preferring Howard to insane Rudd.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Between yesterdays gift cards and this we have officially hit "knives are out for Shorten" season. loving finally.

quote:

A senior construction executive says invoices to Bill Shorten's Australian Workers Union were "deliberately falsified" as part of a deal on the $2.5 billion EastLink tollway project to pay the union $100,000 a year.

In much-anticipated evidence, former executive for builder Thiess John Holland, Stephen Sasse, told the trade union royal commission on Monday that some invoices paid to the AWU were inflated or bogus.

Mr Sasse said he did not authorise payment for back strain research, which appears not to have been done. "If they [Thiess John Holland] did, it was without my knowledge."

He said it would have been "unorthodox" to use the AWU for such research because it was not equipped to do it.

Mr Sasse also questioned large payments for advertisements in the union magazine, some of which may not have been delivered and which produced "no tangible return".

And he questioned other invoices, including alleged large payments for an industrial relations seminar, a safety conference and a population forum.

Mr Sasse said "no sensible employer" would send staff for a day to an AWU-organised event such as the population forum.

The construction executive was questioned over his negotiations with Mr Shorten in 2004 over the tollway project.

He said he recalled discussing payments to the union totalling about $100,000 a year with Mr Shorten, then the Victorian secretary of the AWU.

The proposed payments were effectively a side deal to a landmark industrial agreement that would save the company $100 million through the reduction in industry conditions.

Mr Sasse's evidence is potentially damaging for Mr Shorten, who was questioned about the EastLink project in July. At the time Mr Shorten told the commission he did not "particularly remember" discussions about such payments, later refining his evidence to acknowledge he may have raised the idea of the AWU providing training "and the like".

Mr Sasse told the inquiry he had initial meetings with Mr Shorten at the end of 2004 about the EastLink deal over wages and conditions.

He said he was keen to keep the militant CFMEU off the project and had discussed with Mr Shorten Thiess John Holland paying for an AWU organiser on the project.

This, Mr Sasse said, would help keep the CFMEU out.

He said that would cost the builder $100,000 a year in wages and for a car and superannuation.

"My recollection is a number was discussed [with Mr Shorten)]," he said. "I can't remember if I came up with it or he came up with it."

At the July hearing counsel assisting the commission Jeremy Stoljar, SC, alleged the $100,000 a year was a "pre-arranged target", discussed by Mr Shorten and the company, and that to justify the money the union issued bogus or inflated invoices to Thiess John Holland for services that were either never, or only partially, delivered.

Mr Shorten has denied any involvement in, or knowledge of, the issuing of bogus invoices and said in July said that he left details of the project to his successor, Cesar Melhem​.

Lawyers expert in corruption say anyone involved in, or with knowledge of, such falsifying of invoices faces the possibility of criminal charges.

A Fairfax Media analysis has found that almost half the payments made by Thiess John Holland to the AWU appear to involve suspect invoices for services never provided, including for advertisements in the AWU magazine not published, and for "back strain" research.

Neither Mr Sasse nor Mr Shorten has produced documents to support their recollection of events.

The $100,000 a year plus GST payments, made for three years, were first revealed by Fairfax Media in June and Mr Shorten was questioned about them in July.

The Opposition Leader's record faces 10 days of scrutiny from Monday with political and media attention on the evidence of eight executives from building giant Thiess John Holland.

The commission has allocated the first two days of hearings to the Thiess deal, with most political and media focus on the evidence of Mr Sasse​ and human resources executive Julian Rzesniowiecki.

The lack of documentary evidence makes Tuesday's evidence by Mr Rzesniowiecki – a Sasse underling at the time – important because the commission has documents in which Mr Rzesniowiecki specifically refers to the $100,000-a-year payments.

In 2005, the AWU signed a landmark workplace agreement on EastLink that cut standard industry conditions established by rival the CFMEU, and delivered savings of as much as $100 million to Thiess John Holland.

The agreement slashed the number of fixed rostered days off, enabled giant tunnel borers and other earth-moving equipment to operate around the clock, helping the project finish five months early.

On Monday Mr Shorten failed in his bid to have Mr Sasse's evidence postponed on the basis of lack of procedural fairness.

A lawyer for Mr Shorten, Neil Clelland, said the questioning of Mr Shorten at a July hearing before the inquiry "'had the potential to damage Mr Shorten's reputation".

Mr Clelland sought records of all meetings between royal commission staff and Mr Sasse, and said his evidence had changed since Mr Shorten's appearance.

Commissioner Dyson Heydon rejected the application.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/investigations/invoices-bogus-in-eastlink-union-deal-20151011-gk6npn.html#ixzz3oKILaHlC

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
You're a bunch of nutcases.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
not even a corn field has this many strawmen

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
A gathering of world Catholic bishops has been thrown into confusion with the leak of a letter from conservative cardinals to Pope Francis bitterly complaining that the meeting is stacked against them.

Australian cardinal George Pell gave the Pope the letter accusing him of stacking the cards against conservatives in an ongoing battle over issues including the church's approach to gays and to divorced and remarried Catholics.

L'Espresso newsweekly, which published the English-language letter in full, said 13 cardinals signed the letter and one of them delivered it by hand to the Pope last week.

gently caress you suck Pell

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Have we tried kill all the poor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Seagull posted:

The computer said it won't work so we're not doing it.

Did you try raise GST and kill all the poor?

• Locked thread