Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
voted 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

freebooter posted:

It means people with chronic pain issues now need to regularly visit their GP for scripts which will tie up the health system and waste doctors' time. It's not the government's job to protect people from themselves and it's a stupid loving rule change.

Not to mention if you're poor and can't get a bulk billing doctor it'll cost you $30 out of pocket every time on top of the cost of drugs!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Anidav posted:

Lmao the Australian Border Force logo and flags are all over Brisbane International Airport. Are they the A-Team or something?

Did you have to go through separate, extra security in Brisbane where they re-scan all of your laptops and poo poo a second, more annoying time because BORDER FORCE like they do at Coolangatta?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"A bad boss is a bit like a bad husband or bad father..."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the new border force people are way worse than the old ones. There's not only the extra security check (sounds like Anidav had to go through it too) which is literally exactly the same as the first security check except the staff are douchier. The presence of dogs sniffing luggage is way higher, the number of signs warning you not to be a terrorist and other poo poo has at least doubled, no one ever has a smile on their face and the whole general feel of the place is way more what you'd expect going into like America or something.

I didn't take any pictures because I was pretty sure I was going to be shot.

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is why I always send all my stuff by courier, especially computers, drives and thumbsticks. It's faster and cheaper and a million times less of a hassle than dealing with the airports. If you're staying at a hotel, call them first to see if they're okay with holding your bags before you arrive or send them to your work.

I'll take one small carry-on briefcase and I'm set.
I like working in airports, so I always take my laptop. Drives and thumb drives I just leave in my purse and they never care.

Serrath posted:

Some people are born without the enzyme CYP2D6 which converts codeine into morphine, without which the medication stays functionally inert. Fun fact, recent research has also shown us that <too much> CYP2D6 in the liver can render codeine ineffective because it breaks the medication down too fast to be effective
This is interesting, whenever I go to the dentist it always takes 4-5 times the regular amount of whatever the freezing gel they use is before my mouth actually loses feeling. Would that be the same reason?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Serrath posted:

Probably not, most topical gels like that don't enter circulation and don't need to be metabolised in the liver, they get taken up by whatever cells they're applied to and, when taken up by free nerve endings in the mouth, depolarize the cell causing it to be unable to be stimulated and transmit signals. I don't know why you'd need more except to say there's probably some anatomical variation; you might have more nerve endings or the endings present have a lower threshold for depolarizing.

4-5 times is a lot, though; unless your dentist is using a different drug than a sodium channel blocker, they can get pretty dangerous if you absorb enough through a surface area that it enters your circulation including arrhythmias

Ok, interesting. Thanks for that!

I don't know what the dentist uses other than it's blue. But yeah, once he tried with just three times the normal amount, and as soon as the drill touched my tooth I literally punched his hand out of my mouth out of instinct because it just wasn't anesthetized at all. I guess I better just have less cavities in the future.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I suggest looking up #barbaricculturalpractices on twitter, it's getting exactly the kind of reaction it deserves.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Serrath posted:

I'm just wondering who stops you, that's all; I imagine someone does but I'm wondering if it's the country of origin, the airline, or if Australia maintains a security presence overseas.

I guess I've never come to Australia without a visa but I've traveled a lot and there are a lot of countries where you can apply for your visa after landing, in the airport... I guess Australia doesn't have a system like that but I'm curious how they stop people from doing this...

It's the airline, they look up your details before you board and if you don't have a valid visa they won't let you on, because they're on the hook for your return flight back when you're not allowed into the country. In Australia you have to have your visa before you board the plane. Australia and the USA are the only two first world countries that I know of where that's the case.

edit: oh whoops that was defintiely a few pages ago

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australian tax returns are so easy compared to Canadian ones.

vs

I mean I know they both calculate essentially the same thing but the Canadian one is set up in a way that makes it way more complicated.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shunkymonky posted:

Well the top one is a FBT Return which is different from an individual income tax return and... eh I'll shutup now

I don't even know what that means and it still looks easier than the Canadian one.

I always filed online in Australia so didn't know what the forms looked like. I actually find it easier to file paper in Canada, because I'm apparently awful at technology

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vladimir Poutine posted:

During the Hawke years they were 17%, which prompted a recession and 1 million+ people becoming unemployed. That's obviously an extreme example but it'd likely affect a much wider portion of the population than just people who are in the housing market.

What even caused that? We had 20% at the same time in Canada and I have no idea why because I was like 2.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Narrator posted:

Stock market slump in 1987 - West Germany and Japan pushed up interest rates, so US rates rose, so there were big share selloffs. Combined with a surge and then decline in commodity prices and high interest rates (among other things) that resulted in an early 90s recession.

Ah cool, thanks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm pretty sure I don't know any Jewish people IRL.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If it works like medical marijuana dispensaries here in Vancouver you just have a quick skype convo with a doctor who decides you have anxiety or whatever and you walk out with your sweet legal drugs.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My university had an entire course called "Busines English", the only required English course for the business degree that was fully designed for international students.

Essentially the entire semester long course was going over things like your/your, they're/their/there, basic spelling rules and other things like that. I ended up using the class as an opportunity to catch up on my novel reading in the back of the class while collecting my attendance marks.

I have no problem with international students, I had plenty of friends who were international students, but quite frankly if they don't have basic English skills they shouldn't have been accepted into an English language program, and I certainly felt pretty loving ripped off for having to pay for a mandatory English course that taught me poo poo I learned in the first grade.

Also gently caress all group assignment bludgers. They're all terrible.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

Did you happen to fail this course by any chance?

hahaha whoops.

I got like 98% and the 2% I missed were probably stupid mistakes like that. I paid attention to exactly nothing in that class. It was the easiest grade I ever got.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm glad unimpressed feels women should be able to choose what happens to their bodies, but only up to a certain point. After that arbitrary line has been crossed, nope, you legally have to go through that birth.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kommando posted:

short notice.

all welcome.

it will be in the Fish lane Bistro attached to the fox hotel

hahahaha

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeahhhhhh I got "established working" despite having a very high income and savings level and knowing people that have high paying jobs, apparently because I like rap and working out more than going to the opera.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

open24hours posted:

There are some pretty impressive pictures of that too.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn4925914

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'll make next month's thread, claiming it.

edit: are there 31 days in October in Australia, or if it just a northern hemisphere thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

No it's actually 10 Brumaire :eng101:

• Locked thread