Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The average GOP primary voter does, or at least believes the bullshit their fed. The average GOP voter is probably more in line with forums poster Chris Christie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

A lot of their structural demands are good ideas and would make Congress more of a Congress and less of a parliament, but they're attached to a bunch of idiotic garbage and they would use their newfound power for blackest evil, soooooo.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

computer parts posted:

Holy poo poo, the New Yorker is funny.

Borowitz is really funny, it's just you usually have to stop reading at the headline

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

evilweasel posted:

I disagree. Boehner has been weak because he's always had the concern about what might prompt a revolt. Now, he doesn't care and can do whatever he wants because the only way to get rid of him is agree on a new speaker, and he's fine with leaving.

Can they vacate the chair without electing a new Speaker?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Republicans still all but swept the Senate after the last shutdown. Voters aren't watching what's going on now and it won't matter in a year, even without an Obamacare screw up.

Mitt Romney openly stated he didn't care about the opinion of 47% of the country and still got within 3% of winning the popular vote.

Republicans in the House know this and it's why the Freedom Caucus is doing what it is. They get rewarded for shutting down the government? Guess we just need to shutdown harder and the presidency will be OURS!

Mid term electorates aren't Presidential electorates, and the structure of Senate races is different (which states are up, small state bias, etc)

3% is a huge margin in modern politics. Mitt Romney wasn't ever in sniffing distance of the Oval Office.

Whatever loving putz they roll up against HRC is going to get similarly drubbed, unless Barack Obama rapes and kills a small child live in the Oval or something.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

That's not a little known fact ITT.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

So, let's say they go full 1860s and consider amending House rules to permit a plurality Speaker. The Freedom Caucus doesn't have the numbers to keeps the non Tortilla Coasters from electing a Republican with out them. The remaining Republican members posses enough votes today keeps the gavel from Nancy.

So, by my reading of the situation, the Democrats don't have any incentive to back a rules change. So I'm guessing they ride it out until the Republicans get their poo poo straight or the :airquote: Moderate Republicans :airquote: come to them to broker a compromise Speaker.

Thoughts?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ideally it will be abolished the next time either party achieves total legislative control.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Plurality Speaker and expulsions are out. Democrats biting to permit a plurality Speaker is giving them an out, and expulsions in this case would be stunningly undemocratic.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Buffer posted:

We do all kinds of stunningly undemocratic things, like the existence of the senate, gerrymandering, voter ID laws, felon disenfranchisement, etc. and 2/3rds is a high bar to clear.

Yeah, but that's not quite the same as saying people of X districts go gently caress yourselves, enjoy no representation in the House until you pony up for your special elections.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

You're misunderstanding me. Expelling elected (republican) reps will bring more political backlash.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

There is no real mechanism for expelling people from parties in the US though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Abel Wingnut posted:

hmm, ok. doesn't the vice president work for two branches, though?

Yeah, but the Constitution explicitly requires that.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Yes there is. It's trivially easy and it's done every primary. What do you think precinct committee people are for?

Can party officials just straight up bar people from seeking to run in a primary?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

It varies by state for primary rules and county party rules for powers allotted to the chairman, so I'd have to look through all of them to see if they could just straight up do it.

But they can all eject them from the local party, have their people whip against nomination papers, deny them a place on the recommended candidate card, deny funding and party resources, and sue for using the party name/logo/brand without authorization, which has the same effect.

This is all new and interesting information. Despite all this, party power is being weakened at the local level post CU v FEC? I guess a few hundred thousand dollars has a much bigger impact that far down ticket.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

I assume his tax plan came up in this thread this week, right?

I mean yeah, that's what all the GOP wants to do, but you don't be so explicit about it dude

I don't think it got discussed much because no one really cares about Howdy Doody, unless they suffer under his misrule. Christ January can't get here fast enough. I'm not fool enough to hope John Bel Edwards wins, but maybe the next Republican will be less bad.

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 11, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Check out @MarkHalperin's Tweet: https://twitter.com/MarkHalperin/status/653323697126797312?s=09

:downswords:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Either Edwards or Dardenne.

Tolerable. Vitter obviously sucks, and Angelle seems like he's nearly as big a Theocrat as Jindal. Dardenne is basically governor now anyway given how often Jindal is out of state

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not in the sense that they want complete and unabashed gridlock. So I think they have the numbers to actually vote for a Speaker and not shut down the government, at least.

Their conflict is tactical, not strategic. They're political goals are entirely aligned with the FC folks. It's important to remember that.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Clinton's raw and sustained contempt of the press is one of her best qualities, to be frank.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You know who else had raw and sustained contempt for the press?

That's right. Richard M. Nixon.

And he's got a great twitter! Swell guy, that Nixon/

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Y'all need to watch this here 60 Minutes interview with Barrack Obama

The Bear is Loose and it is Good.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

nachos posted:

I don't know why the media is so loving obsessed with Joe Biden running when they've spent the last 8 years calling him the gaffiest gaffe to ever gaffe

Ratings

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fox and Friends isn't news. It's just a Morning Zoo Radio Show on TV

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

It was Gun Chat. You didn't miss anything at all.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Its also what incites Israeli forces to shoot Palestinian children.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

As near as I can tell, Bernie was too old to have been in the Vietnam draft lotteries anyway. He was born in 41.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

The one about how I could rule like Dr Doom and get you to build statues to me? Yeah, though I think it was in September

Statues of you. In your honor. To just sounds weird. Any future overlord of ours should have impeccable grammar, that we may rightfully think of him as our better.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

zoux posted:

I should add this only holds if Hillary is the nom. The only possible path to President Trump runs through a Bernie nomination.

Yeah, no. Do you really think Bernie is so repulsive to the party that handily won 08 and 12 that they'll just "No thanks, Ill stay home let that Trump fellow steer the ol' ship of state for a bit."

Nah mang. Whomever gets the Democratic nomination is going to be our President. Barring some sort of Dead Girl/Live Boy situation with either Obama or the nominee.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Nah. Losing three in a row would be (and is going to be) super embarrassing for the party.

Man, if they're kept out of the White House for four terms the federal bench will be as blue a Duke home game. I'm sure there are a number of other Independent Agencies whose leaders are appointed by the White House too. Yellen may tire of running the Fed by then too. That's a big loving deal. The GOP may run most of the states but that much time out of the White House would have large knock on effects.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The Onion is a National Treasure

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

I only hope that Sandersistas aren't so shallow to think that this isn't a position of power, perhaps moreso at the moment than being President.

Long live Bernie, and may his supporters grow up to be as wise as he.

David Brooks, Known Idiot of the NYT, was on NPR today talking about how this proved Bernie was too weak to win the nomination. He apparently thinks (or wants the listeners to think) that attacking HRC over her :siren: EMAILS :siren: is the only leverage he has. It basically just showed he has no understanding of the democratic party.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I feel like Texas officials consigning newborns to Statelessness warrants injunction, but IANAL.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's a shame that Truthers exist since saying "Bush knew about 9/11 but did nothing" gets you lumped in with them.

It's like saying "Israel has a lobbying firm that pushes a pro-Israel message to media and government" turns into "Jews control the media and politicians".

It's nuts that Israel has two lobbying firms for that, not just one.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

SSI is 80 years old for a reason duder. The conceit that it's your money has kept it alive while TANF is now a rounding error. Means testing SSI is Hella Dumb in our political landscape, and most conceivable US politics scenarios.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

If Both Sides weren't equally as bad, then Fournier might have to admit he's a moron

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Matt Yglesias's Newsletter posted:

Lots of talk about the Nordic social model. I used to be a huge enthusiast for "America should be more like foreign county x"-style arguments but the more I actually learned about foreign countries the more I've come to think this kind of thing is politically and analytically weak. Life is complicated and while there are certainly things we can and should learn from foreign countries, nobody succeeds by "becoming like" some other countries. Countries improve by becoming more like themselves. Rather than look to the best parts of Europe for inspiration we should look to the best parts of America.

America should be more like California

To the extent that what one wants is proof that a prosperous and innovative economy can coincide with high tax rates, I would look to California. California is richer than Denmark, has basically the same top marginal income tax rate, is indisputably the world capital of innovation, and actually caters more to the US liberal taste for (relatively) low taxes on the middle class and a very progressive rate structure.

California has all that going for it, plus great food and great weather. So why doesn't everyone move to California? Well, the housing is expensive. These days they also seem to be out of water. So what do we need to do? We need to zone for more housing in coastal California and we need to stop giving water away at discount prices to California farmers.

#Content

Democrats are losing and dangerously complacent about it.
The self-driving car revolution starts with an Australian mine.
Or maybe more like Maryland

Maryland is even richer than California. What do we need there? Well, we need denser zoning in Maryland's exclusive suburbs. We need transit-oriented development in Prince George's County. We need operational reforms and a bit of extra infrastructure cash to get MARC/VRE through-running. We need to improve policing and public schools in Baltimore.

One could go on with this list. But the point is that in a practical sense "blue America" is richer and more social democratic than "red America" but red America is growing much faster because its houses are cheaper and its auto-oriented infrastructure works well enough. To make America more social democratic what you need to do is reverse that -- build more houses in the blue places and build and manage the infrastructure (including water infrastructure) to support population growth.

An America with a more dynamic housing sector, more population mobility, and more density in our most prosperous metro areas would achieve a median income that leaves the Nordics in the dust and would also have much more tax revenue available for public services than we currently see. In the mix with these ideas, I also think the US should give more cash assistance to poor families. That is something that the Nordics do that we ought to emulate. But it wouldn't make America "like Denmark" anymore than Sweden became a clone of the United States when it decided to allow private companies to run pharmacies.

Here is Yglesias's newsletter for the day, in case you wanted more of his ideas about how to make America awesome. Did you know that if you got everyone to agree to a bunch of things they perceive to be against their interests (and are in some cases!) we could do some real good for this country?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Even if so, every single person up the chain took the bait and ran with it so gently caress em and who cares.

No they didn't. You don't put things you think are bombs just in the principals office while you chat. The authorities never acted like they thought it was even possible that it was a bomb.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

zoux posted:

So why do we have it?

Because it is currently the law, and Congress has yet to repeal it. I haven't looked into it, but it was probably some chicanery show law passed to look like they were serious budget makers to their rube constituents or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I'm waiting, with baited breath, for Mr Last's defense of the bombing of the MSF Hospital in Kunduz.

• Locked thread