Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Yesterday, a bill arrived on the floor of North Carolina's General Assembly that would have made it illegal for local municipalities to raise the minimum wage, establish affordable housing mandates, or institute landlord-tenet relations. It also would have blocked any rules against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The bill, originally intended to regulate the licensing of counselors, had provisions added to it moments before voting began. Consequently, representatives were preparing to vote when they received word that their previously uncontroversial bill would have, among other things, completely undone the concept of federalism in the state of North Carolina. City Lab reports:

And in other hosed up North Carolina news:

quote:

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and Charlotte City Council are discussing whether to create “public safety zones,” city areas where people with past arrests would be prohibited from entering.

Under the controversial proposal, Chief Kerr Putney could designate a high-crime area as a safety zone in response to crimes such as drug sales or discharging guns that were committed on public property.

Someone who has been arrested for crimes in the area could be issued a notice that they are no longer allowed to enter, for as long as the safety zone is in effect. Entering the zone after being prohibited would be a misdemeanor.

The bans could be appealed for reasons that include entering the area to go to work or to pick up a child from school...

The city has been experimenting with different tactics to lower crime. In addition to the injunction against gang members, the city has used a public nuisance ordinance, which gives it the ability to seize private property from owners who continually have police come to their property.

“Truthfully, I don’t know if they will do any good,” said City Council member Claire Fallon, who chairs the public safety committee. The committee heard a CMPD presentation about the zones in early September. “If someone doesn’t obey the law, do you think a safety zone will impress them?”

Fallon also said she’s worried the safety zones would simply move crime from one part of the city to another.

“We would take it off the plate of one community and then put them on another community,” she said.

A CMPD presentation to council members notes the zones could be an “additional tool to assist in maintaining or repairing a neighborhood or location’s reputation” and could also “disrupt nuisance criminal activity.”

But the department also acknowledges that there are downsides.

Among them: a perception that the zones would be “an overhanded arbitrary government action” and would place a harmful “brand” on a neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He's hardly the first to advocate such a well-thought-out course of action:

Kindergarten Kamikazes: a sensible alternative to maybe making it harder for the dangerously unstable from getting heated.

"I'm literally Rambo irl, fight me" - Ben Carson, probably

Granted, I'm not the most educated guy on this subject, but wouldn't that just make it easier for hot lead to be pumped into me?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Radish posted:

If one of those pie in the face guys gets Carson it would be nice if for the rest of his campaign people would say "you would be dead just like those victims if he was actually a shooter" but that would require the GOP candidates to be even the smallest bit critical of insane gun policies so...

Giving everybody a pie to throw would prevent this

Phone posted:

I actually laughed out loud at the "The shooter can only shoot one person at a time, he cannot shoot a group of people" line.

Not only that, it's ridiculous because it assumes that everybody in times of great duress is both physically fit enough to subdue a shooter while unarmed, and collectively capable of outflanking a guy in a small classroom full of poo poo.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Some of these people have never read the Bible, have they? Last time I checked, Jesus didn't exactly kick rear end, take names and threaten people at gunpoint. I guess nobody told them he was a brown Jew living in the Middle East.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

I almost wish I owned a gun shop so that I could run a competing promotion where I gave discounts to non-Christians only.

Not only that, but the publicity from victimized conservatives on Facebook and Freep would bring you instant notoriety!

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

nachos posted:

Which tears? Half of them are over the moon

:newt:

Good Citizen posted:

Honestly I was hoping for a cool nomination fight that would yield some truly historic crazy poo poo but Boehner being permanently drafted into his own personal hell is good too.

What's the likelihood that Boehner has to stay after October 30?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel like there's a contradiction between "we need guns to fight government tyranny, or else we're going to get genocided like the people in Germany" and "we need to throw out all of the illegal immigrants"

I mean, wouldn't the immigrants think that was government tyranny, and shouldn't they be entitled to fight off the government with guns?

That's what really confused me about Carson's Hitler comment. He knows the Nazis are evil because of hindsight, but unless he's totally down with the weird sovereign citizen poo poo, he can't possibly be advocating shooting cops that report to a government that you consider evil. That's pretty ballsy of someone trying to become an elected official.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Who's they? Who gives Trump credit for that?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

@ChadPergram 42m42 minutes ago
Some conservatives already girding for battle to derail a potential Paul Ryan Speakership. Don't like his stance on immigration.

No doubt they would pull the knives out on Saint Reagan himself.

E: Ryan was your VP nominee in 2012, so what the gently caress. What is happening in the House

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 9, 2015

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

evilweasel posted:

The Ex-Im bank is one of the few genuine ideological differences in the Republican caucus. Don't expect to see many more.

Is marijuana legalization still a point of division between Congressional Republicans?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

North Carolinians won't like that. Ladies aren't allowed to swear and all that.

Then again she does have an R next to her name, so maybe she'll get a free pass.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Radbot posted:

Who gives a poo poo, he's not going to be the candidate.

Kasich could have been a strong contender had Trump not flipped traditional political thinking on its head. Now he just looks like a 'me too' candidate alongside Jeb!

:3:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Speakin of Kentucky, we're havin us one o your shootenannies at a community college 'roundabouts Louisville if'n yins would like to partake on that thar twitter box

Jesus Christ on a bike, that's the 3rd college shooting in 24 hours?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

George W. Bush Enjoying New Status As Smarter Bush

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

quote:

But conservatives strongly disagree with Ryan’s position on immigration and his role in crafting the bipartisan 2013 Ryan-Murray budget deal. He’s been criticized by the far right for being a staunch proponent of immigration reform and his work with Democrats to find a compromise to address the growing number of illegal immigrants living in the U.S.

So now Paul loving Ryan isn't conservative enough for these people? Are they just going to fuss and fight until they nominate supply side Jesus himself?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Rogue Copter Pilot posted:

all the estimates I've seen place attendance at just under 10,000, unless he had more than one in Boulder today

The campaign said his speech in Greensboro, NC last month was around 9,000, but I felt it was also more like 2-3.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Republicans have split into two parties and are refusing to admit it.

No doubt. Hell, in the last kiddy table debate, Jindal said the true conservatives should split because Republicans just aren't conservative enough.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If I were that dog I would not just stand there and let him shoot me.

The gunman can't get everyone if all the neighborhood dogs rush him at once.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Forget convincing people that Bush probably knew about 9/11 beforehand. We can get to that argument eventually. At the moment, it's difficult enough to convince Republicans that Bush was simply president on 9/11.

quote:

Twenty-eight percent said they think former President George W. Bush, who was in office at the time, was more responsible for the poor federal response while 29 percent said Obama, who was still a freshman U.S. Senator when the storm battered the Gulf Coast in 2005, was more responsible. Nearly half of Louisiana Republicans — 44 percent — said they aren't sure who to blame.

Source

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

eviltastic posted:

Not full confirmation of what I just quoted, but close:

There's no way he's not going to be consistently looking over his shoulder if he takes that stupid job. One misstep and they'll pull the knives on him. Hell, Breitbart and Drudge already don't like him because of past transgressions or whatever. :psyduck:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

In an alternative universe, this guy's one heartbeat away from the presidency, but now he's part of the big gay conspiracy? What?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

nachos posted:

Poor chafee, the only man to be savaged by wolf blitzer

The Daily Show did a great segment on this, he should have known something was seriously wrong when Wolf Blitzer was asking him why even bother still running for president.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I don't think Jeb!'s heart is in it, guys.

From an appearance in SC today:

Hate to tell ya Jeb, but that's what being president is all about now. Maybe you should cut bait and do something cool then.

"I've got cooler things to do, you guys, I don't need this!" t:mad:t

He's going to take his ball and go home any day now. He honestly expected that he would just breeze through the nomination process because of his last name, didn't he?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Also Carson seems to be compelled to have an opinion on EVERY topic, no matter if he knows nothing about it.
He HAS to show he's the smartest guy about the subject.
Even if it was Farming Machinery and Agricultural Techniques of Rural 1700's Belguim, he would talk about it.

"I'm going to have to go research that in depth, I'll get back to you."

He'd get burned alive for an answer like that, both by Trump and by those who remember Walker's punt. You can't really win. It sure is entertaining, though.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

zoux posted:

"I will go build a time machine. Not to go back and to kill Hitler, but to bring him here so he can tell us what things we are doing that are things he would do, or likes."

Nah, maybe not Hitler. John Wayne or Ronald Reagan.

Mr Interweb posted:

Haha, this is the angriest I've ever seen Rand Paul get. This is in response to a Buzzfeed reporter who apparently has a history of criticizing Rand Paul for using fake founding father quotes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...311445980749619

In which Rand Paul fails my freshman HIST 200 course for failure to source his quotes.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Can I do shots with Lindsey Graham during the debate tomorrow?

Milk Malk posted:

...Grandma?

I do declare!

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Gravel Gravy posted:

NC is vinegar based.

SC is mustard based.

The North Carolina LAN thread is leaking again.

mdemone posted:

He basically can't stop himself from this kind of behavior. It'll be what sinks him eventually, he'll see a bit of a decline and freak out, which will really turn people off.

This is super weird to read. Trump has prided himself on being the best negotiator ever for real, and now he's begging for votes. What? I'm really tired of hearing about him, so I hope this continues.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I'm sure he'll be back on the job with another department in no time. He's not being punished in any meaningful way, and he won't be. Not in this environment, not in this country.

I'm surprised he was fired. Normally he'd be put on administrative leave (with pay, of course), not charged, and most definitely not indicted or judged to be guilty.

Meanwhile, the girl who filmed the officer was arrested for disturbing school and released on $1000 bond.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Aerox posted:

A couple hours ago someone leaked a giant ~100 slide internal Bush campaign Powerpoint presentation to US News outlining goals, strategies, and data. Internal polling data, ad strategy, vote goals -- really interesting stuff and I'm sure he's livid it got leaked.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/run-2016/2015/10/29/jeb-bushs-campaign-blueprint

He also has a small section on pages 19-21 dedicated to attacking Rubio. No one else gets slides devoted to them:

I haven't had time to dig through the whole thing yet but there's good stuff in it.

The slide transitions connote excitement.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

That's actually really weird results if it was republicans because they basically all say, yah clinton has the expierence and cares about me on some level. I just don't trust her.

This is almost word for word what I've gotten from everybody I've talked to, D or R. She's got the resume, funding, and name recognition, but she's disingenuous and untrustworthy. Then you get the people like my mom who still hate her and Bill for the Lewinsky scandal.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz now criticizing the Republican leadership for refusing to compromise. He says the country was better when Republicans worked with Bill Clinton and balanced the budget.

No, really. Ted Cruz just said that.

This is a terrible Twilight Zone episode.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

greatn posted:

I dunno I remember a shocking amount of parliamentary procedure in those movies

And it all sucked. I don't give a poo poo about senatorial decorum in Star Wars, somebody please pull out a blaster.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Ashcans posted:

It's amazing that the lightsaber fight in the senate managed to be almost as bad as the actual debate scenes. It only comes out ahead because Jarjar isn't there.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Right? How do you gently caress up Yoda vs. Palpatine? The two of them should've destroyed the entire senate chamber with crazy force magic and lightsabers.

Even as a child, I knew that Yoda flipping around waving a tiny lightsaber was laughably cringe worthy. Particularly in Attack of the Clones.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't there a scene in Ep 3 where Obi-Wan and Anakin are literally just waving their lightsabers around in circles not even hitting each other at all?

Yes and then they (I guess) tried to push each other at the same time, but it just ended up looking like a sad not-quite high five. The scene continued for another 20 minutes after that.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

zoux posted:

The irony is that basically the only decent thing CNBC did was the questions, minus a few like that abysmal first one.

There was a fairly ridiculous question in the kiddie table debate, what apps do they use the most.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The debate should be moderated by Mark Levin and Dana Snyder.

Bring in hologram Reagan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Tobermory posted:

I'm hearing reports that HRC is incredibly bad at technology.

Yes, grandma. They're called emoticons, grandma. You can type them out and sometimes you have buttons for them. Yes, I know some of them are cute. Emojis are kind of the same thing. Okay, grandma. Mom will call you later this week.

Good Citizen posted:

Is it weird that knowing H is basically my grandma that posts to my Facebook wall asking for printer tech support humanizes her in my mind more than anything else she's ever done?

It reminds me of the cute elderly ladies I work with. :3:

• Locked thread