Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

RaySmuckles posted:

I though number of votes mattered most.

That's adorable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Duke Igthorn posted:

Raise wages and social services to ease the general tension being heaped onto every American by our corporate overlords. People are less likely to snap if they're relaxed/properly medicated. Millions of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck with one accident away from being destroyed and the pressure will not stop building. Stop that, stop the shootings. number of guns won't even factor into it.

This. A strong social safety net prevents violence at all levels. Combine this with paid parental leave to push the country to a more Gender Equal political climate (this will reduce the number of MRA/Red Pill/Trenchcoat Mafia fucktards who kill people en masse) and the Mass Shootings will drop off dramatically.

Switzerland, Germany and Norway have plenty of gun ownership and don't have particularly draconian gun laws, but very little in the way of Mass Shootings (with a very few notable exceptions). What seperates the US from these countries? We lack a strong social safety net and our strong patriachal tendencies encourage the kinds of resentment and entitlement that lead to tragedies such as today.

Fox Ironic fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 2, 2015

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

How would that have stopped Sandy Hook or Virginia Tech or today's shooting?

The shooter probably would have had a mental health intervention before they snapped? Or less economic stress would have allowed them to develop hobbies other than 4chan and killing people?

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Are you Bernie Sanders?

Did you know some problems don't have an economic component as their major source?

How do you explain Iceland, Finland, Germany, Norway and France? All have relatively high rates of gun ownership, but next to nothing in terms of gun violence.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
I'm an Oregonian. We are a very pro-gun state, largely because of the outdoors culture here (and the rednecks). I'm kinda in the middle on the Gun debate, everyone on the pro-gun side sees me as anti-gun and everyone on the anti-gun side thinks I'm pro-gun. My views basically come down to this;

All automatic weapons and semi-automatic handguns manufactured in the past 50 years should require licensing, have their initial sale documented as well as any person to person sales (once something falls out of that 50 year range the chance of it being used in any sort of crime pretty much drops to zero and I don't think we need to be policing people's antique collections). In addition, those who wish to own or handle these sorts of weapons must submit to a federal criminal background check, a gun safety examination and a 30 day waiting period before their first gun purchase. Any additional purchases should require a 48 hour waiting period and a standard criminal background check. If you go a year between purchasing firearms, you are treated as a first-time purchaser.

Revolvers and non-automatic long guns manufactured in the past 50 years should have their initial sale documented. Buyers must submit to a standard criminal background check and a 24 hour waiting period.

Also, no sell-lists for persons with documented ongoing mental health concerns or suspected involvement with organized crime (including gangs).

Fake Edit: I'm on the fence about just basically making everyone who wants to buy anything deadlier than a revolver or non-automatic long gun get a concealed carry permit first.

Real Edit: The Self-Defense rationale is dumb, but so is backpacking in bear country without a revolver.

Fox Ironic fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 3, 2015

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Grammarchist posted:

Fortunately, there's a modern-day Cincinnatus waiting in the wings to assume the Speakership and become the Leader (Possibly) of the Civilizing Forces. Who better to manage this zoo?
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/256433-gingrich-open-to-return-to-speakership

Well, at least he'd be okay on the Environment and LGBT stuff.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
In the final draft of the Compact, I assume the work requirement will be able to be filled through work-study, on-campus jobs, off-campus jobs or verified community service, similar to how many scholarship work requirements function.

The 10 hour a week will be tuned into, say, 100 hours per semester requirement (which is less than 10 hours per week, but I suspect the 10 hour quote is an early ballpark) that can also be fulfilled up to say, 3-6 months before the start of each academic year. This allows for a broad range of options for students ranging from summer community service/employment to work study or general part-time employment.

If this turns out to be the case, and Hilldawg is serious about implementation, she would win my vote on this policy alone, especially if community college becomes free for all with no strings attached.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

tehllama posted:

As far as I know that is true for most state university systems. The U cal system is about 85% in state.

University of Oregon, where I went for 2 years, has something like 50% out of state students.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

I'd no poo poo like to do a D&D coverage of Sith ideology, the structure and operation of galactic politics, the Jedi Order as a necessity, obscure stuff from the old WEG sourcebooks and what it tells us about how the galaxy operated, etc. like the old LF Star Trek thread but for Star Wars.

Please make this happen.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

It amazes me to watch the train of GOP guys trying to engage with Trump and getting wrecked. They should really have learned from Obama how you deal with The Donald. Whatever he says, you just laugh and go 'Yeah, whatever, Donny.'

Treat the man like a joke, because he is. Trying to take him seriously or attack him on his level just gets you wrecked like Jeb!.

If it comes down to Hillary versus Trump in the General, I eagerly look forward to Hillary treating him like she did Chafee; a complete joke not even worth responding to.

The difference will be that Trump won't let it go and will double down, which Hillary will ignore, making him look desperate for attention and weak when challenged. Compound this with the fallout from Megyn Kelly and Fiorina and he'll look like a weak willed misogynistic fool to all but the most conservative, and they'll think he's too much of a pussy to effectively stand up to a woman.

All on National Television.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
When it comes time to vote for Speaker, all the Dems should cast a Yea for Paul Ryan and watch the GOP implode.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ryan is going to be speaker, dems voting for him wouldn't mean anything.

Dem endorsement of Ryan = low-info Repubs declaring him King of the RINOs and the entire fascist wing of Congress collectively cumming their pants at thought of more obstructionism.

I want the GOP to end in flames before the General Election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
I demand a Congressional Investigation Committee to investigate the Benghazi Investigation Committee.

• Locked thread