Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Fried Chicken posted:

Biden has announced he will not be participating in the Dem debate. Apparently it is news that a guy not running for president won't be in the presidential debate

It's great for those cheap Biden not running shares I picked up last week on PredictIt though. Thanks to whoever gave the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

:lol: House Republicans including Chaffetz are pissed McCarthy gave the game away

quote:

Speaking to CNN's Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room," Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, said McCarthy should apologize, saying the California Republican made an "absolutely inappropriate statement."

Privately, Republicans were outraged by the remarks, saying the House majority leader had given Democrats unfounded ammunition to argue that the committee's investigation is squarely being driven by politics. Republicans on the committee had tried for months to keep the focus of the inquiry on the administration's handling of the attacks, avoiding getting into the ins and outs of the various aspects on the email stories.

But in one fell swoop, McCarthy undercut their strategy.

"I might have said it differently," Rep. Darrell Issa, R-California, told CNN. "Any ancillary political activity that comes out of it is, in fact, not the goal of the committee and is not what the committee is seeking to do."

Added Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan, "I totally disagree with those comments." Asked if they could jeopardize his bid for speaker, the conservative Amash said: "I think it should be a concern."

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I just can't imagine McCarthy sailing through like that without some sort of fight

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I don't know if the last 100 pages of gunchat mentioned this but Chaffetz is going to challenge McCarthy and run for speaker

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

There was no chance the insane wing of the house wasn't going to use this open speakership opportunity to do.... something. It's just not in their character to let things go without a fight.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I hope all the democrats vote Trump for speaker

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I wonder if any SC congress critters opposed Sandy funding....

quote:

Sen. Lindsey Graham is asking for federal aid for his home state of South Carolina as it battles raging floods, but he voted to oppose similar help for New Jersey in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy in 2013.

"Let's just get through this thing, and whatever it costs, it costs," Graham told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on "The Situation Room" on Monday of the devastating floods in his home state.

Graham was among the Republican senators who opposed a federal aid package in January 2013 to assist states hit by Hurricane Sandy, but now he doesn't remember why.

"I'm all for helping the people in New Jersey. I don't really remember me voting that way," Graham said.

Pressed further, he said: "Anyway, I don't really recall that, but I'd be glad to look and tell you why I did vote no, if I did."

Graham described himself as a "pretty kind-hearted fellow," and said he'd heard from South Carolinians, Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-New York.

Graham said he tends to "try to be there for friends and neighbors, so hope they'll be there for us."

Many Republicans opposed the $51 billion Sandy relief package in 2013 because they said it included too much spending on unrelated programs.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Phone posted:

They thought that MSF stood for Mercenaries Sans Frontiers. The prologue starts in a hospital and everything.

It all adds up.

I've really enjoyed these MGS references sprinkled here and there into this and other political threads

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

:lol:

These stupid motherfuckers are never going to agree on a speaker are they

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

For entertainment value, I hope not.

These deep red state freedom caucus members need some sort of victory. They may eventually agree on a speaker but I'm betting it won't be McCarthy. They've staked their position and if they back out now they'll get primaried.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

They're stuck. They've cultivated this madman image and sold it to their voters and now they have to stick to it or someone more insane will primary them.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

nachos posted:

These deep red state freedom caucus members need some sort of victory. They may eventually agree on a speaker but I'm betting it won't be McCarthy. They've staked their position and if they back out now they'll get primaried.

:smug:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

evilweasel posted:

The freedom caucus just toppled McCarthy's bid and they weren't sane about the limits of their power before getting two scalps in a week. There's no path forward for the rest of the Republican I can see short of conceding to the freedom caucus or begging the Democrats to get their speaker nominee over 218. And both of those are devastating to the party.

Gerrymandering has effectively destroyed the House as a functioning body and looks like it might backfire spectacularly on the Republicans as well. It would be hilarious if it weren't for the fact that there is a country that needs governing and Democrats are locked out of retaking the House for another 5 years at bare minimum.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So how far away are we from Obama holding a press conference about this clusterfuck?

don't touch the poop

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Honestly I was hoping for a cool nomination fight that would yield some truly historic crazy poo poo but Boehner being permanently drafted into his own personal hell is good too.

Man the market for republican tears is going to be absolutely glutted

Which tears? Half of them are over the moon

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

It really is amazing how 40 R+13 districts have the entire country under lockdown. Power to the people.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

evilweasel posted:

He clearly has no interest in the role. I think what he may be contemplating is if he can even keep his other ambitions while turning it down - he'd face a real risk of being blamed for the chaos for being unwilling to step up - and potentially if being begged into the speakership gives him the ability to avoid the Freedom Caucus demands (not likely).

Amazing how it's always everyone but the hostage taker who gets the blame for situations spiraling out of control

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Rand better drop out soon, I need to make back the money the pope hosed me over on.

Is this actually a thing? I've seen mentions that Rand might be the next to drop out but his father was always known for his quixotic campaigns.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Remember the good old days when Paul Ryan was a stunning VP pick because his budget was deemed too conservative to fly in the general?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

So if Ryan and McCarthy are out then that probably means someone like Webster in the role. I don't know much about that guy but it sounds like a bad idea to have an obstructionist in charge.

What kind of bad case scenario are we looking at if one of the Freedom whatever get's into the Speaker Role?

Impeachment?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

sullat posted:

Are there enough not-crazies to make that difficult? Just like all you need is 40 crazies to derail the speaker vote, all you need is 40 not-crazies to derail anything as stupid and politically damaging as that.

Maybe, but I feel like the right wing media pressure would be enormous and it would be difficult for a Republican to indirectly defend Obama. With the primaries going on I'm sure the candidates would throw their weight behind it too.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I've actually gotten the impression that evolving is considered worse than maintaining a bad opinion by many people, which has always been one of the most bizarre things about American politics to me.

It's an extension of America itself which has always had an anti-intellectual streak

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I don't know why the media is so loving obsessed with Joe Biden running when they've spent the last 8 years calling him the gaffiest gaffe to ever gaffe

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Latest Unease on Right: Ryan Is Too Far Left

Look at that headline. Bask in it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Tom Cotton recommended Dick Cheney for speaker earlier today so throw another name into the hat

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Seriously how is wolf blitzer so dumb, I assume he was an actual journalist at some point during his career?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Eschers Basement posted:

For the current atmosphere? That's just stupid.

Say what you want about Nixon as a paranoid, diseased crook; and Reagan and Goldwater as racist, senior ideologues; but each of the three of them actually understood that politics is done by politicians making deals and compromises and coming together where they could. Nixon created the EPA and the Southern Strategy. Reagan bloated our military and helped reform the tax code and raise taxes. Goldwater voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and was instrumental in passing the Panama Canal Treaty.

Our current era of "the only compromise we accept is 100% of what we want" comes straight from the right-wing media machine of the '90's through today.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."

Remember the things the tea party wants and refuses to compromise over are effectively a series of measures to shut down the government one way or another. Reagan is the godfather of today's political climate, though perhaps not its tactics.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Nolanar posted:

Webb is a giant thumb with bad opinions and I don't understand why he's even running.

Webb's a secret Republican that's just using the Democratic debates for some exposure before switching parties midway through the primary

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Why the gently caress would Carson even do that?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

What if Webb actually ends up splitting the GOP vote instead. The guy is probably a better candidate than Jeb loving Bush.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Nice to see some Dems jumping on Paul Ryan's desire for paid family leave

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Joementum posted:

Never change, Matt. :allears:

11 hours for this

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Poor chafee, the only man to be savaged by wolf blitzer

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Paul Ryan's budget was toxic and a complete nonstarter and now he's the moderate sober voice of reason.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Make America GreatWhite Again!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Radish posted:

They are also slowly realizing that the people that they are electing aren't really able to do what they campaigned on. Representative Dumbfuck isn't going to be able to singlehandedly repeal Obamacare, show that Hillary is the mastermind behind Benghazi, repeal all taxes, and enact Christian theocracy. Just think how disillusioned the average college liberal is about Democrats not being able to do much and look at how little the GOP has been able to accomplish in terms of their far right agenda despite having two of the three branches of government. People are starting to want answers which is why the establishment GOP candidates are floundering to outsiders like Trump and Carlson who are touting their lack of knowledge and expertise as positives.

Nobody in this country has any loving idea how basic government works, which has a feature not a bug for the GOP until now. Maybe they will adjust strategy and start encouraging critical thahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Sarah Palin's enduring legacy is going to be the idea of gotcha questions and I hate her even more for it

• Locked thread