Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Somehow, miraculously, we’ve survived the end of September with a government that is still, somehow, managing to function. But the ride of US politics never stops, and all signs point to it only being the calm before the storm later this year… Government shutdowns, GOP shenanigans, and, of course, Trump, all are sure to make it worth coming back to the USPOL thread.

114th Congress Bingo Card

As ever in American politics, September came in like a lamb and went out like a lion, but only the 114th Congress could deliver the month that passed…

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

Hillary deleted the e-mails, but the e-mails were recovered and seem to be relevant to the FBI’s investigation, so it seems like you should definitely not vote for Hillary!

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fade5 posted:

The next debate cuts off at 3%, and assuming polls stay consistent, those 6 are the only ones above 3%. So say hi to your top 6 Republican candidates: Trump, Carson, Fiorina, Cruz, Jeb!, and Rubio.

CNBC said they'd round 2.5% up to 3, so you might as well call the criteria 2.5%. That would add Kasich and maybe Christie. Paul and Huckabee are on the bubble though.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Can mods reopen the Gunthread and make talking about guns in any other thread a bannable offense? Asking for a friend.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

A Bag of Milk posted:

Significant in what way?

Significant in making it impossible to talk about anything else in this thread for several days. No room here to talk about Trump declaring he'll kill off NAFTA for example.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bob Ojeda posted:

Okay, so what coherent, gun-knowledgeable ways are there to make it harder for people to murder 15 community college students

Obligatory Onion link.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

Yeah but it feels like it's true.

Truthiness is making a comeback, I'm telling you!

Monkey Fracas posted:

But if we ban them only criminals will have them and as a conceal carry proponent I *wet juicy fart*

*farting continues*

Speaking of concealed carry, there's a very interesting study on that that came out recently.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
We have 35 days.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FourLeaf posted:

Obama asking news organizations to make list of Americans who have died from terrorist attacks and then compare it to a list of Americans who have died from gun violence, so that it won't be seen as biased information coming from him.

Instead it will be seen as biased information coming from the left-wing media!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

hhhat posted:

Thread topic now less accurate

Obama was this close to calling out house Reps by name

I expected the title wouldn't last the month because something would happen. I just didn't expect it to happen in under 12 hours.

Don't worry, we've still got the debt ceiling (Nov 5) and a proper omnibus budget (Dec 11) and two presidential nominee debates and House leadership elections this month, so it's still technically true!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stereotype posted:

So can we stop talking about guns and instead discuss who is going to be the next House Majority Leader?

No. Can't let things like the fact that the debt ceiling was moved up to Nov. 4 distract us from the real issues.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Seattle plans to push for comprehensive public financing of local elections.

Of course keeping private money out will be impossible thanks to Citizens United, but it could be interesting.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

From a few pages back, but it wouldn't surprise me. I didn't consider the details but things like the odd "religious liberty" question and phrasing it as a matter of "conscientious objection" sure seemed oddly timed and strangely misinformed about the whole Davis situation that I have been wondering if it was a setup by someone or other for political aims.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

hhhat posted:

Here's where the comparison breaks down

Didn't you know? If any measure taken to stop shootings that involves taking away gun rights isn't 100% successful, we must dismiss it as a bad idea.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

We didn't get to see Vester Flanagan's manifesto. Why would we get to see this one?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Some journalists on Twitter are arguing that the "stuff happens" quote is being taken out of context and that everyone is freaking out that he equivocated shootings as just "stuff." Bullshit. Bush's context is that massacres happen and will continue to happen, and the government should just accept it if doing anything about it involves any sort of new regulations.

It's an unacceptable premise that would never fly for any other threat to American lives.

More to the point, he doubled down on the quote later. If it was out of context, he should have clarified, not doubled down.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DeusExMachinima posted:

Where's the party that takes the (100% correct) "poo poo happens" attitude on guns, 18+ drinking, terrorism, drugs, police sobriety checkpoints, etc etc? I want to vote for that guy.

Welcome to the Libertarian Party!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

MaxxBot posted:

I used to consider myself a libertarian because I support that stuff but then I found out that 99% of libertarians don't give a gently caress about those issues, they just want low taxes and no business regulations.

:thejoke:

The problem is that government regulations are good when it comes to actually keeping us safe from predatory business practices and negative economic externalities. Libertarians refuse to acknowledge this distinction.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Meat Recital posted:

She said something like "at this point what difference does it make?" during a Benghazi hearing, and they trotted that line out for years trying to make her seem callous and indifferent.

As recently as July 2:

Rorus Raz posted:

Mike Lester would like to take the time to remind you to vote for Bernie Sanders

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JehovahsWetness posted:

Jeb, the might have a bit more punch *if you hadn't signed a pool fence bill as gov* (sponsored by DWS!):

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2000-05-26/news/0005260161_1_pool-safety-new-pools-ibern

Please tell me that DWS will make a statement about this. If she does it might almost, almost justify her being DNC chair.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Now that Walker's out, get ready to see a LOT more of Carly.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fojar38 posted:

I find "US bombed a hospital for the hell of it" way harder to believe personally.

The US bombed a wedding for the hell of it. Why not a hospital? Could be terrorists inside. You don't know! There are a lot of Afghans going in and out of that hospital, after all... Better bomb it to be sure!

EDIT: In short, the US will give some reason like the one they gave that doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. But hey, it's an explanation!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

Is there anyway that the Democrats can mess with the Republicans over the Speaker vote on the 29th. This is mainly a question for Joementum

In principle they could cast their votes for any Republican nominated if no one has a majority on the first ballot and force a winner, but if it's like the initial vote, it's a roll call vote, so Republicans would catch on pretty quickly and any Republican with a last name after, say, D, could change their vote before getting called on to prevent that from happening.

In practice they'll let the Republicans stew and all vote for Pelosi except for a few Blue Dog holdouts (Dan Lipinski, a Blue Dog, is one of the usual suspects, and fellow Dogs Kyrsten Sinema, Gwen Graham and Jim Cooper also defected at the beginning of the 114th)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 5, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In which a major presidential candidate for a party that regularly bashes "useless" liberal arts degrees campaigns on the fact that they have a BA in Medieval History.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FlamingLiberal posted:

I see Jindal apparently has lots of free time to write his scorching hot takes about bad parenting.

Well it's not like his donors are returning his calls at this point.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Wouldn't Kissinger bombing Le Duc Tho count? Or does that not count because Nixon?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Doctor Henry Kissinger Pbuh was not in the chain of command. :colbert:

If you're okay with bombing future Nobel prize winners, you could count Begin bombing the PLO (and, by proxy, Arafat) during the Lebanon War.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Following the success of the House Permanent Select Committee on Benghazi, the House Permanent Select Committee on Planned Parenthood Atrocities should be authorized today.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Your evening news roundup:

Rupert Murdoch thinks it's time America elect a REAL black president.

Looks like these shootings are good news... For gun dealers!

And the Senate is moving to fast track a bill which would punish sanctuary cities by terminating all federal funding to such cities.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Now that Walker is back in Wisconsin for good, Republicans there are looking to make sure he and other Republicans don't get recalled again by dismantling the non-partisan board responsible for calling the recall elections and investigating possible coordination between Walker's campaign and outside groups.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
An insight into the mind of @dick_nixon.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fifteen of Many posted:

Jake Sherman just tweeted that McCarthy has dropped out of the speaker race.

Given some of the recent rumblings I heard, it seems like there might have been some dirt that the Freedom Caucus or some other group was going to drop on him to ruin his chances anyway.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Republicans might unravel Obama's Iran deal with this one weird trick!

Ben Carson shows that even presidential candidates obey Godwin's Law.

EDIT: Beaten on that second link.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Monkey Fracas posted:

Equitable redrawing of congressional districts following the census?

This would help at least put a party willing to compromise in power. But given that I haven't heard anyone talking about a Democratic plan to retake the 15(!) states' legislatures (14 upper houses, 16 lower houses) that they've lost since Nov. 2010 I don't think this is happening until 2030 at the earliest.

So hang on, because we probably have another 15 years of this shitshow (with almost certainly at least one Republican president in power) ahead of us.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 9, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

Couldn't the House or is it the Senate redraw districts. i thought I had read somewhere that one of the powers of congress was to draw up districting maps.

Nope! That power belongs to the states, and right now 31 states have fully Republican legislatures, so good luck pushing the needle.

27 were Democratic before the 2010 elections.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

evilweasel posted:

These posts are sort of right but not really:

The relevant part of the Constitution is:
(Article I, Section 4)

Under this power Congress has mandated single-member districts. Congress could alter that. I'm sure it would provoke a legal challenge and wind up being decided by if there were still five Republicans on the Supreme Court, but there is very solid legal backing for Congress to step in and mandate changes to how districts are drawn - or if they exist at all. I believe Congress would be well within its rights to mandate specific methods for districting or simply require that representatives be elected on a statewide basis by proportional representation. I think it would need to be a law though - the House can't do it on its own, it's got to be passed by the House and the Senate and signed by the President.

Ah yes. I'd forgotten that old chestnut which came up during the Arizona redistributing case last term.

Of course getting Congress to actually pass legislation relating to that is another matter entirely.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shifty Pony posted:

It would take an absolutely insane situation for Congress to step in and override a state's redistricting. I don't even think a state abandoning popular voting for House members and having the state legislature selecting their reps would be enough to trigger it.

That actually WOULD be unconstitutional, under Article I, Section 2:

quote:

The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

In other news:

The ACLU intends to start doing something about the gently caress barrel, starting in Benton County, Washington.

Rick Snyder's emergency managers are really helping the children of Flint!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
"Well..., you're going to have to get over [cuts to your Social Security benefits]." —John Kasich

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

euphronius posted:

How close are we to USAian and Russian troops shooting at each other. It feels like it's getting closer.

Slate's lead article at the moment is about exactly this topic.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Mother Jones just won a lawsuit defending against defamation charges stemming from a GOP bundler who wanted to hide his history of homophobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Khisanth Magus posted:

Not sure if this was posted, but the GOP committee on Planned Parenthood found no evidence of wrongdoing!

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/09/gops_case_against_planned_parenthood_collapses_jason_chaffetz_admits_he_uncovered_no_wrongdoing/

Which is why, just like with Benghazi, they've opened a new committee to investigate the issue from scratch.

One of these days, they'll crack that case open! It just FEELS like they're doing something illegal (they are liberals after all and liberals are always doing something illegal), so they'll just have to keep looking until they find out what that thing is!

• Locked thread