Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is like reason #101 why you shouldn't loving have classified info on unsecured machines.

This entire scandal really amuses me though because it's always fun watching a rich person laugh off a raft of felonies that would send me to jail for the rest of my life.

Good thing so far there hasn't been any classified information on it at the time it was sent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

So you posted a misleading graph. Why don't you edit your post and delete it?

edit: look i'm editing mine to remind everyone that this guy either didn't do good research or cherry picked a misleading graph.

edit 2: and even though its super easy to change it and remove it, he refuses because he's inherently dishonest!

The ratio is the same though?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I was under the impression that it was confirmed some of her emails contained data from NGA sources, and you can't take a poo poo at NGA without it being at least Secret.

Nope, so far all the releases have had the addendum that none of the emails now marked classified/whatever were such at the time they were sent.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol if your gun skills aren't on par with the guys in Equilibrium.

Gunkata is a legitimate art tyvm.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Shoulder thing that goes up.

This part, right?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Edit: hey, a whole new page

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

American gun laws are a total mess. They are often technically-focused, but written by people who don't actually know anything about guns.

How is that different from any other law not written by an industry lobbying group?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Lemming posted:

It seems really important to you to never address people's main point, and instead try to harp on semantics.

Never talked with fishmech before or something? That's kind of all he does.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Boon posted:

So if the TPP turns out to be pretty reasonable as some rumours suggest, will people in D&D who were convinced we're hosed based on rumor going to admit they were being ridiculous? You know, like we all wish the GOP would do over basically everything? Or will they Lindsey Graham it and say they don't remember it that way...

There is of course the possibility that it's hosed and if so, the people arguing to calm the gently caress down and wait to see what's been negotiated will get to eat crow. In which case, I'm sorry and you were right

So we should never discuss negotiations?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Radbot posted:

Congratulations on locating the problem. Maybe we could read it now? Does that bullshit "well nobody ever gets to read these things" time period ever expire?

Yes, when it's done and goes up for a vote/approval.
Negotiations are negotiations, you leak the stuff you don't like to use as leverage, you don't leak the stuff you like because you don't want the others to question having it in.
The main issue is who does the negotiation, in this case it was a lot of industry reps and almost no public advocates, that never leads to good things for the public.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

you know, you'd sound less like a crazy person if you had any sort of proof to back up your crazy statements, but as is, you're just crazy

Naw, let him think we were just out looking for hospitals to bomb and MSF was the first one we came across, it makes him happy.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

walgreenslatino posted:

- DoD changed their argument from the bombing being a complete accident, to claiming the hospital and base were being used as "human shields" by the Taliban, which is not true

- Pentagon officials initially claimed that US troops were coming under "direct sustained fire" but then changed the story and admitted they were not under fire

Should've just said it was because of an anti-Islam video.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

That sounds more negligent than deliberate.

Congrats on finally getting it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

i thought we'd agreed that it couldn't be negligent because that could still be a war crime and we don't do those by definition

No, that was because negligence has a specific legal definition that this probably doesn't meet. In the common usage, it was negligence.

Ernie Muppari posted:

i mean what even is the military?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh0Y2hVe_bw

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

I imagine the biggest mistake here was using a weapons platform that can't target by coordinates in an urban setting. This is something NGOs have warned about already.

But let's make sure that detail gets lost in the outrage.

That doesn't help much if you're given bad coordinates and don't bother checking them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Radbot posted:

The US Military is Too Incompetent to Fail.

Like the argument is literally "well there's a ton of bureaucracy and red tape, so poo poo happens, y'know"

No, the argument is "there's a ton of bureaucracy so it's probably not the fault of the guys pulling the trigger but one of the assholes above them" vs "us soldiers love killing innocents!"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Hooded Reptile posted:

A camera is an rpg meme was made by the us military

I meant in this specific instance, not in general.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/texas-university-campus-carry-shooting-anniversary-charles-whitman

I have a feeling that the gun lobby is trying to rub it in the anti-gun crowd's face at this point. They're just show-boating with timing like this.

Well it was one of the few times civilians firing back helped improve the situation. Because he was out of range of the handguns the police had and the students had hunting rifles in their vehicles that they went and got to provide a distraction while the police snuck up on the shooter. Kind of the opposite of the point they're making with the open carry movement, but any victory I guess?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Some open carry activists in fact do want to bring rifles to class with them.

It'll be a lot harder for the professor to tell them they're disrupting class too!

Honestly, if the deer on campus are that bad, I'd support them taking their rifle to class.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Maybe they're enacting a bill allowing guns on campus on the anniversary of a major campus shooting because they genuinely believe, however misguided, that campus carry will prevent incidents like that. Sometimes people do things based on their own beliefs and not yours.

Ooooh, I thought they rolled a die to see what laws to write. But trying to help, despite all evidence, hmm, I guess I could believe that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

If South Korea and Japan had America-loose gun laws there's no way their already high suicide rates wouldn't be even worse.

I like the story, probably from Freakanomics, about how the year after a popular movie in Japan that featured a suicide using a non-common method, the number of suicides increased by the number of people committing suicide by that method. Meaning these were people who wouldn't have (successfully) committed suicide otherwise.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You can't work for two branches of government at the same time.

So I guess that's one way to get him to stop being president.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

How many students need to die before you reconsider your undying devotion to death machines? What projections are we looking at here? Tri-weekly?

Well since he fears for his personal life, I'd assume all of them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

nachos posted:

I don't know why the media is so loving obsessed with Joe Biden running when they've spent the last 8 years calling him the gaffiest gaffe to ever gaffe

You answered your own question there.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

James Garfield posted:

It might be easier to believe "gun owners will be on board with gun control if you just stop banning useless accessories!" if the gun owners made any effort to improve treatment for chronic mental illness, as that doesn't even involve limiting guns.

Well since the treatments tend to include "remove the person's guns so they can't harm themselves or others", they tend to not actually support treatment either.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

No. He didn't make the polling cutoff.

Of course, that's because his name isn't even being asked about in the polls.

But hey, James Gilmore, who literally hasn't held a single campaign event yet, he is a serious candidate and gets a spot at the kids table and asked about in the polls.

Since Lessig's platform is that he's going to quit, it should be his VP that is polled for.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I like how Biden is listed despite not running. Why not include Warren in that list while you're at it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

zoux posted:

You see the media is constructing a narrative.

I'm well aware, I keep WaPo and NYT in my google news and while I was picking up my breakfast tacos the news on the TV was detailing a story about a new PAC that's trying to get Biden to run. The media really wants to talk about anyone but Bernie and most of them anyone but Hillary as well.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Things I Already Know for 500, Zoux

That was mostly my point, they just want a non-Hillary that's entertaining and Bernie is only half that.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Everblight posted:

Serious question: are even things like post office naming going un-done right now?

Generally everyone on both sides agrees with them so those sail right through.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have witnessed all of the my liberal friends talking about how much they were impressed with MoM.

O-MENTUM HAS BEGUN!

Well he is the only one to have a character in The Wire created after him.
As long as you don't ask which character, that almost sounds really good.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

computer parts posted:

So I wonder which government invented the conspiracy theory of governments making conspiracy theories.

When in doubt, blame the NRO.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

On Terra Firma posted:

I have no idea how she, or any other human being on the planet, could hold their composure for this long without giving them a loving thing. She called him on his poo poo and knocked it (is knocking it currently) out of the park.

This is what the Clintons are like. She and Bill are a perfect match for each other.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Joementum posted:

Fun bit of the deal: the Small House Rotunda will now be named the "Freedom Foyer".

It was apparently Boehner's idea to include that. :mmmsmug:

I hope everyone insists on pronouncing it in the french manor just to piss off the HFC.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

That seemed inevitable , like after the SOPA and CISPA(is this a different one?) thing from like 7 years ago seemed like that outcry got tired.

Those were copyright bills, this is different. This is the one that requires companies to share personal information with the government so they can find terroristshackers and stop them. The multiple amendments that would provide penalties if either side abused/lost the personal information were defeated. It should be noted, companies are already allowed to share personal information with the government, and in fact are required to when given a warrant! So you can guess what part of that equation this bill changes.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Kalman posted:

They're not always allowed to share personal information, and the bills don't require them to share any information at all. (There are weak scrubbing requirements for PII - inadequate ones, but the idea is not to share personal information if avoidable).

CISA isn't a particularly good bill, but you're mischaracterizing it completely.

Probably, the blogs seem to change what they're complaining about it for weekly.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va71a7pLvy8

A chilling peak into the Graham presidency.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

zoux posted:

American journalism is locked in a cage match right now with circulation being the prize. So if a candidate is like "If you don't stop hurting my feelings I won't let you ride on my campaign bus anymore" instead of all the press corps going "Oh word, well you do that we will as a unit retaliate by not covering your campaign and then you are dead in the water" they go "good, good, more ratings/papers sold/website hits for me".

Also Fox News is always going to defect in this particular Prisoner's Dilemma which means everyone is going to follow their lead.

And then they wondered why so many people tuned into John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

UberJew posted:

yes, but this sort of thing is exactly why journalism in this country is poo poo and the only lasting consequence will be journalists being even greater licksplittles to preserve their precious access

Maybe NBC will stand by their actions and learn that nothing bad will happen. And while I'm dreaming, I'd like a unicorn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Mr Jaunts posted:

Sounds like Rubio's a fan of the Machete order!

Come on, everyone knows the proper machete order skips phantom menace.

• Locked thread