Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

Great OP as always. To start off the new month, Alabama is closing 31 driver's licence offices throughout the state leaving 29 counties without one.

8 of the top 10 counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. All of the top five counties polling for Obama in 2008 have an office closing. 11 out of the 17 counties with more than 24% of individuals living in poverty have an office closing (65%). All six counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. 59% of the 17 counties with the highest % of black residents have an office closing. Alabama of course has strict voter ID laws. My preferred drink is shots of Everclear. Doesn't waste my time.

Ugh. I'm glad to hear that guy say a lawsuit is certain, this is outrageous and clearly the final intent of a lot of the voter ID laws.

Unbelievably bold and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

That argument falls apart when you start looking at the rest of the world. Brazil has strict licensing and ownership, and bans carry outside the home, so they must have a mature gun culture... Oh wait, they have one of the highest homicide rates on the planet. Also, I object to the idea that a government which demands its citizens provide a good reason why they should be allowed to do things is "mature."

So I feel like I haven't seen you explain why all these other countries with tougher gun control laws still have such a big problem with homicide rates and illegal gun availability. Especially south american and southeast asian countries compared to european ones, since those are your favorite goto comparisons. It's been explained to you about why maybe cold war politics and lax US gun laws are a huge loving reason but I feel like you sidestep it every time. So please explain why you feel these countries have huge gun problems?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Harik posted:

That's nothing. Wake me when one of her senior staff dies of a treatable illness because she canceled his health insurance.

She refused to give a dead guy's widow his $30k last paycheck for years, is that enough?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Probably just grass is greener chat. I've been a civilian for like 5 years now, and there's definitely gently caress ups. The thing is, they can get fired at a whim. In the military, they gain rank just for being in, and there's a very, very low floor for how lovely they can be at life. They reenlist because they don't know anything else, and the next thing you know, they're a first sergeant.

Then they retire after twenty years and join private security or your local police force.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Good news: the TPP might eliminate the tariff that has kept them out

Sure, but will the small diesel that makes them so desirable meet US emissions standards?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Cleveland has a new report out blaming Tamir Rice for getting shot again. AP has been tweeting about it all morning.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Good news!

quote:

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's parliament has voted in favor of a nuclear deal struck with world powers.

In a vote Tuesday carried live by state radio, 161 of 250 lawmakers present at the session voted in favor of the landmark accord. However, Iran's 12-member Guardian Council could refer the bill back to parliament for more discussion.

The bill allows Iran to withdraw from the agreement if world powers do not lift sanctions, or impose new sanctions or restore previous ones.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's interesting how debate reaction polls had Bernie as the clear winner, but the news headlines this morning all are "Clinton wins."

Debates never mean anything if there isn't a major gently caress up. Both sides are entrenched enough by now it was really just a showcasing of candidates. I'd be surprised if it really affects the actual polls, except maybe to give one of the also rans a small bump.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Biden will probably drop off because he isn't running and wasn't at the debate.

Probably, but any poll including biden was a farce on par with 'Liz Warren running soon' all summer

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, I think there's a good chance Bernie will get a significant bump just from increased visibility. O'Malley might pick up a few percentage points too for the same reason, though I'm not sure where he'd get the points *from*. Webb and Chaffee hosed up though -- "my first day" and "I killed a dude" -- but yeah they can't go negative so it won't matter.

That's where I disagree, increased visibility might help the other guys, but Bernie has had decent coverage as far as the dem primary coverage goes. People know who he is and have a rough idea of what he stands for and they weren't getting much new out of the debate that Clinton and Sanders haven't been airing out in the news anyways.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

President Obama is halting the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan.

I know Obama was hesitant to make this decision, but events in Kundunz probably forced his hand. Nonetheless, it is probably more in the U.S.'s interests to maintain a force than the alternative. It won't be politically popular, though.

Aside from being way too long, and ignoring conservative pundits, does the American public really have a problem with Afghanistan going on? Like the moderates and people who ignore politics.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

quote:

SAN ANTONIO (AP) — A federal judge has chosen for now not to force Texas health officials to change their stance in denying birth certificates to immigrant families with U.S- born children, saying that the families raised "grave concerns" but more evidence is needed, according to a ruling issued Friday.

U.S. District Judge Robert Pitman in Austin denied an emergency injunction on behalf of immigrant families seeking birth certificates for their children after the Department of State Health Services refused to recognize as valid certain forms of identification.

The families' lawyers had asked for the judge to intervene, saying that the children's right to health care, travel, and schooling--along with parental rights--are being harmed.

Pitman called the arguments of the families "heartfelt, compelling and persuasive," but said that this was "not enough without substantiating evidence to carry the burden necessary to grant relief," according to the ruling.

At issue is the acceptance of identification cards_known as matriculas consulares_issued by Mexican consulates to citizens living and working in the United States. Lawyers for the families contend that prior to 2013 they were able to present these document, as well as foreign passports without U.S. visas in them, and obtain birth certificates in Texas.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/994316a1f3c84dc284a3e92c50067652/injunction-get-birth-certificates-us-born-kids-denied

The article reads weirdly since he never really states what evidence he feels is missing other than the state agency's intent. I can't figure out if he's punting to another court, or trying to appear sympathetic while blocking these kids from obtaining a legal birth certificate.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

euphronius posted:

Emergency injunctions have different standards.

The case is continuing they just didn't get an emergency injunction. Plaintiffs can still win.

That makes sense, thank you. So the judge was saying he felt he didn't have enough evidence that this rule was causing imminent danger to those affected?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

computer parts posted:

Only Nixon can go to China.

I wanted to make an only Obama can go to Cuba joke, but apparently only Carter can (back in 2011).

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea but there's a literal 'office of the first lady' that's a part of white house functions that's actually moderately important, so he'd have to alter that somehow regardless since you can't have 'office of the president' and 'office of the president'. He's called President Clinton but 'first lady' is an actual title with implications, so he's also...first gentleman I assume?

Why not first spouse so it's future proof?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Has anyone burst in to post that the US is merely a republic yet?

Cause I'm going to; the US isn't a democracy, thanks for playing.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

I understand the entire case and I agree (also apparently some weirdness with the results), but Nick Diaz is still a moron who can't stop smoking weed for a week.

Uhhh, it takes a month and how does it enhance his performance anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

Biggest surprise last night was the vanishing of Trump. After dominating the stage recentky, he seemed to disappear.

I feel the fact that he's been blasting his domestic policy all over the place might have a part in this. It feels like he just sat back and let the others fight over who had the worst plan while he's proven he can say what the base wants in that category.

• Locked thread