Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Spaceman Future! posted:

yeah, we totes dont have any type of zero delay centralized communication infastructure that shares data instantaneously that can be used as an intermediary between military wings to pass data that has been provided to them between eachother. some sort of... net of communication. Wish it existed.

or were you stating that the military wings are bloated incompetent red tape bureaucratic hellholes that cant share information no matter how convenient the infrastructure to do so is? Because the fact that their internal policing and structure dont allow them to actually share that information does not excuse that it was provided to them SOOOOOOOO

What are you trying to say here? You might have a good point if it wasn't such a poo poo post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Boon posted:

What are you trying to say here?

that trying to excuse the military for not being able to properly process the data that was shared with them in advance because the wings suck at internal communication does not change the fact that the information about this hospital had been provided to them. Trying to play semantic games about "broadcasting" or playing dumb and acting like recording and sharing basic information would require some sort of science fiction hive mind AI to sort it is transparently dumb.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What the MSF page actually says is:

quote:

MSF wishes to clarify that all parties to the conflict, including in Kabul and Washington, were clearly informed of the precise location (GPS Coordinates) of the MSF facilities – hospital, guest-house, office and an outreach stabilization unit in Chardara (to the north-west of Kunduz). As MSF does in all conflict contexts, these precise locations were communicated to all parties on multiple occasions over the past months, including most recently on 29 September.

E: Kunduz Hospital Airstrike
(Last update: Monday 5 October, 2015)

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 7, 2015

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

:ironicat: considering your claim that "the US" knowing about a hospital's location is the same as every US military member knowing where a hospital is.

Every sigo just felt a disturbance in the force.

I feel like soldiers and airmen operating in a given theater should know where some important landmarks are. That is not an unreasonable presumption. Like, "oh hey, just watch out, cuz that's the school, that's town hall, and that's the hospital." Now I understand that with airmen its very different because they probably operate in a number of areas depending on the mission. But the people calling the strike in? They know where their base is, I'm sure they know the location of a few other local landmarks. You don't spend time occupying another country and not become a little familiar with the area.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

:ironicat: considering your claim that "the US" knowing about a hospital's location is the same as every US military member knowing where a hospital is.

Hey if the US military didn't effectively make use of the information MSF provided so as to not bomb them, then it sounds like the US military hosed up and the people responsible for this should be held accountable :shrug:.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

mlmp08 posted:

maybe "the US" knowing about a hospital's location should, in fact, translate to military members in charge of authorising air strikes knowing where a hospital is before they blow it the gently caress up??

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sharkie posted:

Hey if the US military didn't effectively make use of the information MSF provided so as to not bomb them, then it sounds like the US military hosed up and the people responsible for this should be held accountable :shrug:.

Nice sentiment but everyone knows the military is full of complete fuckups from top to bottom and you can't hold any individual or group among a such gaggle of habitual clownshoes fuckups accountable for loving up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
We've already gotten past the part where people are claiming that the US military wanted to bomb a hospital and kill doctors and patients because they wanted to.

Surely it's an uncontroversial statement to say that

"The MSF was not lying when it said it had informed all parties of their location. It is possible that that information did not get passed on to whoever approved of the airstrike, for any number of reasons. There is a measure of fault attributable to the people whose responsibility it was to inform the person who approved of the airstrike. If the person who approved of the airstrike already had that information on hand, but did not use it (also for any number of reasons), then there is a measure of fault attributable to them as well"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

RaySmuckles posted:

I feel like soldiers and airmen operating in a given theater should know where some important landmarks are. That is not an unreasonable presumption. Like, "oh hey, just watch out, cuz that's the school, that's town hall, and that's the hospital." Now I understand that with airmen its very different because they probably operate in a number of areas depending on the mission. But the people calling the strike in? They know where their base is, I'm sure they know the location of a few other local landmarks. You don't spend time occupying another country and not become a little familiar with the area.

This is a pretty reasonable post and brings up one of the more common complaints that regular forces have with special forces. Sometimes a unit will spend a year or more in an area learning the geography, people, etc. Then a hot mission comes down, a special forces team shows up from far away, does some work, and potentially does unnecessary damage, then flies away in their fancy aircraft while the regular unit is left holding the bag. Or maybe SF either knowingly or unknowingly caused more collateral innocent damage than would be permitted on a regular unit mission.

It loving sucks. Meanwhile sometimes SF knows it was worth it but isn't permitted to articulate why publicly. I'm not for a second claiming there was a good reason to shoot up the hospital in this case. This is more of a tangent.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Hoo eee, this MSF conversation sure has been circular and tedious for days, what's up in US politics?

Polls suggest Bernie might be competitive in a general election. Doesn't mean much at this stage but eat your hearts out, Bernouts!

Also in unsurprising news, McCarthy is walking back his Benghazi Kinsley gaffe.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

We've already gotten past the part where people are claiming that the US military wanted to bomb a hospital and kill doctors and patients because they wanted to.

"The MSF was not lying when it said it had informed all parties of their location. It is possible that that information did not get passed on to whoever approved of the airstrike, for any number of reasons. There is a measure of fault attributable to the people whose responsibility it was to inform the person who approved of the airstrike. If the person who approved of the airstrike already had that information on hand, but did not use it (also for any number of reasons), then there is a measure of fault attributable to them as well"

That's pretty reasonable. What's unreasonable is all the clowns in here pretending the only organization on Earth that fails to share information perfectly is the military. Granted, when PayPal repeatedly fucks up the most basic of things and lets scammers take my money while kicking back all charity donations, I don't die.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

Hoo eee, this MSF conversation sure has been circular and tedious for days, what's up in US politics?

Polls suggest Bernie might be competitive in a general election. Doesn't mean much at this stage but eat your hearts out, Bernouts!

All good will for Bernie Sanders is going to go out the window the second someone posts a comparison video between him speaking and the Tony Clifton impersonation from Man in The Moon, its all people will be able to think about. Mark my words.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gradenko_2000 posted:

A reasonable post.

Something that I've been wondering this whole time is what will eventually happen at the end of 2016. We're supposed to pull out of Afghanistan by that point which will undoubtedly create an even worse situation in that country and lead to civilian deaths. However, we won't inevitably kill civilians (because that's what happens in war) but will still be blamed, rightfully/wrongfully for everything hosed up in that country. So what will Obama do?

What has me slightly bemused in some of this conversation is that basically every civilian I've come across that has knowledge of both the military and non-military world has relayed to me some iteration of "Man, if you think the military is full of gently caress ups and inefficiencies, just wait until you get to the civilian sector."

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 7, 2015

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

mlmp08 posted:

That's pretty reasonable. What's unreasonable is all the clowns in here pretending the only organization on Earth that fails to share information perfectly is the military. Granted, when PayPal repeatedly fucks up the most basic of things and lets scammers take my money while kicking back all charity donations, I don't die.

I don't think anyone said the military is the only organization on Earth that doesn't share information perfectly, they seem to be saying that the military is in the unique position where it blows up hospitals and kills dozens of innocent people when it fails to share information perfectly, and so it's incumbent upon them to be a wee bit better at it than other folks. You seem to understand this judging from the 2nd part of your post, so I don't know why you're being so defensive.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sullat posted:

I hate to criticize a clever thread title, but surely Henry Kissinger is the first to claim that honor?

Doctor Henry Kissinger Pbuh was not in the chain of command. :colbert:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Spaceman Future! posted:

same as everything that gets pulled out of, completely hosed but with nothing left to make us feel like we have any responsibility to call the next day.

:golfclap:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

Which is why so many of these clowns would like to see a magnitude of accountability beyond "well, stuff happens" and angry websites. It isn't exactly walking on eggshells but when you've got a humanitarian organization, who certainly is no stranger to dealing with belligerents and asking not to be bombed, stating unequivocally that they provided GPS coordinates to US military and civilian contacts (in Washington and Kabul) as a matter of routine, there's a question of why they got bombed this time. What is the mechanism for transmitting this information to the correct people? Was it followed? Assuming the GPS coordinates were in the possession of the correct people, what is the procedure for checking to ensure you aren't calling in an airstrike on a hospital? Was that followed? You can follow that line of questioning all the way down until someone either can't prove they stuck to protocol or they admit they didn't.

That's why PayPal got fined something like 7 million bucks when it turned out the people tasked with running ID info against OFAC lists were just greenlighting a known SDN for years because it was faster just to verify the validity of their passport and claim it was a misunderstanding if anyone asked. (That type of clownshoes "fast and dirty" game is why I quit and took a better paying job doing AML at a proper bank :v:)

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm way off base here, but is it SOP to fire on an unidentified building of unknown occupancy simply because somebody thought they might have seen a gun? Or do we just screen a select few of our targets at random or something?

I mean, yes, I already understand that war is random. There are levels of bureaucracy and incompetence and fog. No one is liable because no one really knows what happens when you fire live ordinance on a city center, who ordered it, or why. Granted. But how often do we fire on occupied structures? Is there a ratio of terrorists to civilians that must be achieved, or do we just bomb whomever we're told is a threat?

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
I propose that we put post-it notes in all military aircraft with the positions of local MSF facilities, so that whoever is responsible for "not blowing up doctors" can double check before they detonate a building.

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 7, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Terrible Person posted:

Maybe I'm way off base here, but is it SOP to fire on an unidentified building of unknown occupancy simply because somebody thought they might have seen a gun?

No.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Doctor Henry Kissinger Pbuh was not in the chain of command. :colbert:

If you're okay with bombing future Nobel prize winners, you could count Begin bombing the PLO (and, by proxy, Arafat) during the Lebanon War.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Maybe I'm way off base here, but is it SOP to fire on an unidentified building of unknown occupancy simply because somebody thought they might have seen a gun? Or do we just screen a select few of our targets at random or something?

I mean, yes, I already understand that war is random. There are levels of bureaucracy and incompetence and fog. No one is liable because no one really knows what happens when you fire live ordinance on a city center, who ordered it, or why. Granted. But how often do we fire on occupied structures? Is there a ratio of terrorists to civilians that must be achieved, or do we just bomb whomever we're told is a threat?

The short answer is no. I very nearly posted a link to opensource material that would discuss how this is conducted then I realized something. It'd be one hell of an open can of worms considering some people here wouldn't understand the whole thing and just pick out what they thought was happening based on half-understood concepts and then I'd try to correct people who had already made up their mind.

Boon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 7, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If you're okay with bombing future Nobel prize winners, you could count Begin bombing the PLO (and, by proxy, Arafat) during the Lebanon War.

Sounds like a strong contender, but I might have to give the victory to Obama.

Edit: and sir posting immediately above me, I'd totally read that open source material.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

The short answer is no. I very nearly posted a link to opensource material that would discuss how this is conducted then I realized something. It'd be one hell of an open can of worms considering some people here wouldn't understand the whole thing and just pick out what they thought was happening based on half-understood concepts and then I'd try to correct people who had already made up their mind.

That reads a lot like "I have an explanation, but I don't think you'd agree with my long-winded justification for bombing civilians."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Edit: and sir posting immediately above me, I'd totally read that open source material.

That reads a lot like "I have an explanation, but I don't think you'd agree with my long-winded justification for bombing civilians."
The relevant docs (JP 3-09.3, JFIRE, etc) are unclassified, but are not supposed to be distributed outside the DoD, so anyone who had links to the current versions wouldn't be allowed to share them, and anyone with experience shouldn't comment on them if they were posted. That said, even if you read all of them, as a layman, it would not give you the insight required to define what would constitute negligence or disobedience of regulation without the accompanying theater rules of engagement (which are not unclassified) and experience that complement them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MSF has never struck me as a very spiteful organization and I'm wondering what motives folks assume they have for hypothetically lying about multiple aspects of the bombing attack on their hospital.

e: Hey Toyota, why do 10 out of 10 Mujahideen fireteams ask for the Hilux by name?

(Seriously Hiluxes have been right up there with hummers, blazers, and escalades as far as "vehicles invariably driven by dangerous pieces of garbage" for like 30 years because they're drat near indestructible)

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 7, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

DeusExMachinima posted:

Were our guys with the Afghanis to verify if they were taking fire from the hospital? If not or if everyone on the ground agreed then C2 probably revoked the hospitals protected status based on available information.

"Confirmation or not, gently caress 'em, they're expendable. We have a War on Terror™ to win, after all."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

It's going to keep on going it seems as MSF wants a war crimes probe.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I uh want to talk about guns again

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gowdy on McCarthy's Benghazi comments

quote:

“I heard from him at 6 a.m. the next morning,” said Gowdy, whose name was recently floated for House majority leader. “How many times can somebody apologize? Yes, he’s apologized as many times as a human can apologize. It doesn’t change it. It doesn’t fix it. The only thing you can say is, instead of listening to someone else’s words, why don’t you look at our actions?”

“I don’t have a background in mental health, so I wouldn’t have the right qualifications to lead right now,” he says. Who wants you to be in leadership? “No friend does,” he says.

He's also stopped taking McCarthy's calls, or calls from anyone else in the leadership.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 7, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

FAUXTON posted:

e: Hey Toyota, why do 10 out of 10 Mujahideen fireteams ask for the Hilux by name?

(Seriously Hiluxes have been right up there with hummers, blazers, and escalades as far as "vehicles invariably driven by dangerous pieces of garbage" for like 30 years because they're drat near indestructible)

This article is written in such a way that seems to imply that the author and "US officials" aren't aware that consumer pickups in general and the highlux in particular have been the vehicle of choice of irregular armies on multiple continents for, like, 40 years. I mean there's an African war named after them.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

QuoProQuid posted:

Gowdy on McCarthy's Benghazi comments

He's also stopped taking McCarthy's calls, or calls from anyone else in the leadership.

Huh. Do you think he's realized how stupid he is?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Warcabbit posted:

Huh. Do you think he's realized how stupid he is?

Well, he's realized that managing the majority is a fool's errand and has removed himself from a horse race that would ruin his relationship with half the caucus, so he's not that stupid. He isn't Chaffetz, doing whatever he can to get attention.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Spaceman Future! posted:

All good will for Bernie Sanders is going to go out the window the second someone posts a comparison video between him speaking and the Tony Clifton impersonation from Man in The Moon, its all people will be able to think about. Mark my words.

Maybe Andy Kaufman never died but just moved to Vermont?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

What has me slightly bemused in some of this conversation is that basically every civilian I've come across that has knowledge of both the military and non-military world has relayed to me some iteration of "Man, if you think the military is full of gently caress ups and inefficiencies, just wait until you get to the civilian sector."

Probably just grass is greener chat. I've been a civilian for like 5 years now, and there's definitely gently caress ups. The thing is, they can get fired at a whim. In the military, they gain rank just for being in, and there's a very, very low floor for how lovely they can be at life. They reenlist because they don't know anything else, and the next thing you know, they're a first sergeant.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Volkerball posted:

Probably just grass is greener chat. I've been a civilian for like 5 years now, and there's definitely gently caress ups. The thing is, they can get fired at a whim. In the military, they gain rank just for being in, and there's a very, very low floor for how lovely they can be at life. They reenlist because they don't know anything else, and the next thing you know, they're a first sergeant.

Then they retire after twenty years and join private security or your local police force.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jagchosis posted:

Pretty sure that McCarthy isn't going to be able to put the toothpaste back in the tube on that one, not with both Hillary and the Tortilla Coast Caucus bludgeoning him with it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just a note: it's misleading to act like the military can't or won't share joint fire doctrine publications or that'd be an OPSEC Nono.

Anyone with Internet can go to dtic.mil/publications and get a bunch of pubs without CAC or login access.

Obviously SF SOPs and theater/area ROE is a different story as well as the comms architecture which will be critical in determining whether this was a failure of systems/organization or a failure of individuals screwing up.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
A lot of stuff is marked FOUO which means it shouldn't be further disseminated or commented on where found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Boon posted:

A lot of stuff is marked FOUO which means it shouldn't be further disseminated or commented on where found.

Not the new JPs (mostly).

3-09 isn't tagged FOUO and is available without any kind of wall. Other manuals on dtic are not available from the main page and require a login. Those are FOUO or higher. 3-09.3 is one of those, though, so :v:

edit:

"Per reference f: “Documents shall be
marked ‘FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY’ at the bottom of the outside of the front
cover (if there is one), the title page, the first page, and the outside of the back
cover (if there is one). Optionally, for consistency with classified systems, the
document may be marked ‘UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY.’
Internal pages of the document that contain FOUO information shall be
marked ‘FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY’ at the bottom. Optionally, for consistency
with classified systems, internal pages may be marked ‘UNCLASSIFIED//FOR
OFFICIAL USE ONLY’ or ‘UNCLASSIFIED//FOUO’; in such case internal pages
shall be marked at both the top and bottom. Subjects, titles, and each section,
part, paragraph, or similar portion of an FOUO document shall be marked to
show that they contain information requiring protection. Use the parenthetical
notation ‘(FOUO)’ (or optionally ‘U//FOUO)’) to identify information as FOUO
for this purpose. Place this notation immediately before the text.”
"

Everything openly available on the dtic site I mentioned is not marked FOUO per pub writing guidance quoted above. I'm being pedantic, because I don't want some opsec ranger wasting an investigators time or my time.

edit2:

this is a pretty cool resource provided openly by dtic. A graphical representation of the doctrine hierarchy with clickable links. Those that require CAC/login access are highlighted so you don't waste your time clicking on them.

http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/doctrine/status.pdf

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 7, 2015

• Locked thread