Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Heeeey, this isn't the first October chat thread, you imposter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

precision posted:

guacamelee is legit funny idk how there is even room for debate here

Memes trigger some goons. A lot.

Anyway, my gaming foray right now is that I've gone back to... Dota 2. Yes, I know. I just randomly select a character in games and don't give a poo poo about my 'performance' and I'm actually doing surprisingly well so far. I used to go all tryhard on 'perfecting' a character by playing it 5+ times in a row but it usually bored me to tears. I highly recommend not giving a poo poo and just randoming all day long, you actually learn a ton that way.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

precision posted:

one day, i will actually try playing DOTA or LOL or whatever one is popular now

that day... is not today

but i kinda wanna see what all the hubbub is about. people said Awesomenauts was a MOBA or whatever and it was cool and good

I've never played Awesomenauts so I dunno about that game but IMHO Dota is the best MOBA but also the one with the highest barrier of entry for newcomers. LoL is easier to learn but not as interesting, but YMMV. They are both F2P so no harm in trying them both out. Dota 2 has a bunch of decent tutorials nowadays so you should have a general idea of what to do in a match, and the game does a good job matching you with equally stupid players. I also recommend reading this guide once in a while as you play more games. If you know someone who already plays Dota he can 'coach' your match by spectating live and giving you pointers which should help a lot.

The worst part of the MOBA genre is the often toxic community, but in general it varies greatly from match to match how bad it is. I suggest using the mute button liberally or just playing with friends a lot.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

Heroes of the Storm is a lot of fun to start out because it introduces aspects of the game to you at a rate that isn't frustratingly overwhelming or coddling. Unlike DOTA or League you can pick up most of what you need to know about playing the game in a match or two, and the different maps keep things interesting.

I feel like that has been the strong point of Blizzard for a long time. Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm both channel that "easy to pick up, hard to master" ethos better than any other game in their respective genres.

Yeah I forgot to talk about Heroes of the Storm, it's definitely the easiest to pick up. Matches are shorter and the general mechanics are easier to learn. It's honestly pretty fun.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I can't think of a game more deeply autistic as Dwarf Fortress, so I guess it's art because it isn't 'mainstream'.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Also we would've got one of Smith's 90s movie music hits.

Sorry Keanu.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

FF10 was the last good Final Fantasy and I will fight anyone who dares to claim otherwise.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Kojima logic makes anything seem possible.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

i should really get mgsv before the entire game gets spoiled

I haven't played it yet either but from what I've heard so far it's just like every other MGS game. Great gameplay, batshit insane storyline that doesn't quite work.

Notable exception is MGS3 which had just the right amount of Kojima insanity.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Mass Effect series is severely hampered by ~*choice*~ leading to all sorts of dumb solutions that make no sense. Like most of the ME2 cast being unplayable in ME3 because they might have died during the suicide mission. Choices that the game trumps up as very important but in the end usually results in getting some war points (or w/e it was called) from one party or the other, practically making no difference. Why should I care about the ultimate fate of race <X> when I never get to see what they are going to do anyway?

For example, I decided to give that Reaper thingie at the end of ME2 to Cerberus because it seemed like the best bet to gain an actual edge on them. Given how (unrealistically) large of a threat Cerberus was in ME3 I was expecting it to be a huge deal. IIRC it was just a couple of lines of dialogue and then I got some war points from one source or the other, the end. Why give me a choice if it's not going to really matter anyway?

Anyway, the gameplay was fun and there's a bunch of characters that I really liked but at the start of ME2 I decided to not take its story seriously at all because of the above issues.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

By and large story choices = dumb, gameplay choices = good.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Citadel DLC is the best part of the entire ME series, but ME2 is still the best overall.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Well the Batarians are actually Indians caste loving slavers so who cares right?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Cyron posted:

pretty mush, their a race of assholes who use slavery as a culture defense. them dying is great.

Funniest part is that every single Batarian AFAIK was complete scum up until ME3 where you meet a Batarian in the lobby who seems like a decent person. Even real life countries that actually do that poo poo have a ton of people in it who are as disgusted by it as everyone else generally.

Bioware is racist against Batarians is what I'm saying.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Halfway through ME2 I stopped because even though it's prettier and more fun, the story blows chunks. Going with a universe ending plot instead of it being Universe Cop 2 was a terrible decision. Dear Bioware, your lore writers suck, which means I couldn't give a poo poo about saving your universe.

ME2's overall story is incredibly bad but it had some cool characters and fun gameplay.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Theories on how 'cave people' actually lived are as scientifically sound as a FF7 fanfic.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

OOOOO-HO-HO-HO-HO

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

It's like Square-Enix has a long history of making questionable business choices, or something.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The saddest part is how they could just literally license an emulator or program one themselves and call it a day. But that would be too logical.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

Are there animes that actually mention the atrocities committed by Japan in WW2?

Not that I know of because A) it pisses off conservative Japanese because B) China and North/South Korea use it as political ammunition, leading to fun stuff like Chinese nationalists thrashing Japanese shops and cars while the cops look on for 10 minutes before intervening because of some diplomatic spat over a tiny island with oil and gas surrounding it. Their sentiment is generally "yeah we did some bad poo poo but so did they and we already apologized for that publically 20+ years ago so why do they keep bringing it up?" I'm not saying it's a smart stance but that's the way it is.

Note that WW2 was a terrible time for the Japanese, I do remember some anime in an alternative universe where Japan never lost the war and it was basically portrayed as Nazi Germany without ethnic cleansing, but I forgot the name. All things considered most Japanese prefer to just not talk about it in public.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

There's so many animes that deal with the effects of the war on Japan, you'd think they might mention the reasons why.

At least they don't turn the victims of their massacres into sports team mascots.

The reasons why are almost always implied, not directly discussed, because it's less painful that way. In my experience other 'controversial' issues are often dealt in a similar matter. It doesn't necessarily mean that they believe nothing bad happened, it's often quite the opposite.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I remember playing it as a kid, it's baller.

EDIT: 30 FPS cops have curated this game, lmao

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm more shocked by the fact that there are people out there who thought "Yes, this is the man I'm willing to invest my hard earned money in".

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Imp zone is gbs for the nerdy kids who pretend they're cool. Hth

All of SA is like that but it's a bit more complex.

The rest > GBS > ADTRW > Pet Island >>>>>>>> TCC

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you're posts

:(

Lurdiak posted:

Sorry that was uncalled for.

:)

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The Dreamcast failed because it was a lovely console with only a couple of good games, hth.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

From what little I've seen on streams it's a lot like the Super Robot Wars series. They just dump all of their popular IPs in it and make up a batshit insane story.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

+ Great gameplay
+ Nice story
+ Fun characters
+ Good graphics & sound

- No gigantic banners of it on our site

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I remember when Nintendo Power docked some points for Mega Man X3 being "too much like other mega man games" being the first time I realized game reviewers didn't know what the hell they were doing.

Oh no, not more of the thing I really like. :(

Well that and the fact that they rarely seem to actually play the game to completion.

Also a weird obsession with subjects like ludonarrative dissonance, Citizen Kane and women's rights.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm waiting on Edge to support plugins so I can block ads. It's pretty fast from what I've seen.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Didn't they say that Hitler did his thing because of the Templars or something.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

The Holocaust happened because Henry Ford gave Hitler superpowers with an ancient alien artifact.

lmao

That's just, wow.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Are you playing the Scholar of the First Sin edition? They ramped up the difficulty by quite a bit due to some nasty enemy placements, especially in the earlier areas.

Anyway the rapier and mace are the best weapons you can get early, and just plain great weapons for the entire game if upgraded.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Do you like Star Trek?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I like it when games give me the choice whether or not to kill the main bad guy when I've already killed a hundred of his mooks. I guess killing is only bad if the NPC has a name.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

I believe that all games are good by nature but are corrupted by their environments.

Don't listen to this left-wing liberal hippie garbage.

Some games are just born bad.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The overarching ME plot is retarded anyway so who really cares honestly.

It should just be about Wrex, Renegade actions only.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

MUGEN fanpacks are now getting commercial releases? Well more characters for saltybet either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQJmR37s454

A couple more anime based 2D fighters have been released the last couple of years although they are usually Japan only. Unless you are a massive weeaboo you aren't really missing out IMO. Apparently they are relatively cheap to make and the otaku crowd loves them 2D fighters.

EDIT: I don't mean the super popular shonen fighters (DBZ, Naruto etc), those are actually good.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yeah there was that last anime fighting game with a really hilariously ridiculous name... what was it... ah here it is... Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIGgbs030k

Wait are any of the Dragonball/Naruto games any good? I heard Xenoverse is ok... but the Naruto games on steam seem to have gotten a rather mixed reception.

Though I see what you mean in that the Dragonballs and Narutos and One Pieces can get medium budget 3D fighting games and Dynasty Warriors clones made whereas these other anime fighters are basically MUGEN ports with anime fanart drawn by flash artists and appear to have a combined budget lower than Skullgirls.

I haven't actually played the shonen fighters myself but like you said they have a bigger budget and they generally seem to have been received well afaik.

Note that the weeaboo fighters often have ridiculously high prices (I think last time I checked out the Japanese PSN store some of them were upwards to 8,000 yen, lmao).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I too wish to include women in this terrible hobby.

• Locked thread