Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Check the CPU and GPU temperatures with programs that can read the onboard thermal sensors, the Asus software doesn't do this so doesn't produce useful temperature readings.* Try CPU ID Hardware Monitor for CPU temperatures. If that looks good, make sure all the power cables are connected to the motherboard (24-pin and 8-pin) and try updating the motherboard BIOS. If that doesn't help, try disabling Asus surge protection. It seems like it has a hair-trigger sometimes.

*I've actually researched this and I don't know how Asus generates the CPU temperature their monitoring software displays. It's not from any of the on-die thermal sensors (and it's not offset), it reads significantly below the CPU temperature, and seems to lag it somewhat in time. I've heard some people say it reads a sensor near the CPU socket and applies a conversion factor to approximate CPU temperature, which seems idiotic but would explain the readings. The temperature reading that actually matters is what monitoring programs call the Package Temperature, which is the highest reading any of the CPU temperature sensors are currently showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That's likely an unconnected sensor, you might try shutting the system down and letting it cool for awhile, then checking in the BIOS immediately after turning it on to see what it is, I bet it is still around that temperature. The CPU temperature doesn't seem too bad depending on what you're doing, but yeah feel free to reseat. You should see a square imprint where the heatsink squished the thermal paste out of the way due to pressure.

• Locked thread