Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
If no candidate manages to receive a majority of delegates in the convention, then the convention is called "brokered" because a series of votes and deals will be required to actually get a candidate. It will be amazing for the sort of people who post on internet forums about politics because it will be a prime form of political entertainment, especially if Donald "Presidential Apprentice" Trump is involved.

On the Republican side, Donald Trump is winning in most of the polling, but with only one-quarter to one-third of the vote. Depending on what happens in the winner-take-all states after March 15th, and especially if Ben Carson solidifies his hold on the Evangelical religious bloc of the Republican Party, it's entirely possible if not likely that no candidate will emerge with a majority going into the convention, and the Republican slapfight will take place on a national stage.

The Democratic primary is currently a two-horse race, so a brokered convention is much less likely. If Biden actually runs, however, he would probably take votes mostly from frontrunner Hillary Clinton, thus making it more likely for a brokered convention to happen there as well, thus providing the answer to the question that has haunted so many of us: in the case of a Sanders/Biden ticket, who would Hillary Clinton pick as her VP choice to counter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A GOP convention going to more than one nomination voting round is pretty much all I've wanted in life

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What's that?? My god, that's Mitt Romney's theme!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
If Trump gets outmaneuvered at the convention he seems more than spiteful enough to run as a third party candidate regardless of what commitments he's made or hasn't made.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
How long has it been since this happened in either party?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Pet Rock Band posted:

How long has it been since this happened in either party?

It's never happened. But the Trumpocalypse could definitely trigger one.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

point of return posted:

didn't it happen pretty regularly in the 19th century? i know 1860 was brokered as hell for both parties

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

When we say "never happened" we usually mean "after 1968", because that's when we actually began to have primaries with votes that matter.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
It's almost happened a few times

I think that if it looks like there will be a brokered convention, the deals and such will all happen before the convention so as to avoid the worst case scenario

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
They'll have settled for Rubio by then.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

if trump was worth a poo poo he claims to be, he'd hold the country hostage like Pablo did if they didn't let him join their club

Tomato Burger
Jun 18, 2007
The secret is granola.

Aliquid posted:

*Mitt strolls down the center aisle wearing sunglasses and chugging a Natty Ice as "Back in Black" blasts over the convention speakers. *

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuT15bo3iP8

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tomato Burger posted:

*Mitt strolls down the center aisle wearing a sweater and chugging a diet vanilla Coke as "All Out of Love" blasts over the convention speakers. *

FTFY

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

does diet coke still have caffeine in it?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Duckbag posted:

does diet coke still have caffeine in it?

All I know is that its one of the many, many elements that makes up Mitt's life as the ur-square.

quote:

Which leads to the most pressing question of all as you're ushered into the sprawling kitchen/family room of the Romneys' Belmont home: Can a decidedly nonteetotaling non-Mormon get a before-dinner drink around here?

The good news is, yes, you can.

The bad news? It's Diet Vanilla Coke.

No kidding. It's a new product, and Mitt, clad in the same checked button-down shirt and ironed jeans he wore on those ubiquitous campaign “work days,” is staging his own taste test.

“Who wants to try it?” he asks, pouring samples of Vanilla Coke and Diet Vanilla Coke into juice glasses. First Lady Ann Romney, barefoot and in casual black pants and a red sweater, smiles and rolls her eyes at her husband's Dick Clark-like enthusiasm. (Say, kids, can you dance to this one?) But son Tagg and his wife, Jennifer, are game. They sample both and make their choices. And there's a trace of fatherly pride as the governor-elect of Massachusetts announces: “Tagg got it right.”

:mitt:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

That's amazing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

quote:

Breakfast is cereal, egg whites, and toast without butter.

:stare:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Seriously, the dude's a real-life Mormon Ned Flanders.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wednesday: literally gagged thinking about Mitt Romney's breakfast

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

point of return posted:

1976 on the Republican side and 1972 on the Democratic side were the most recent ones for each party.

EDIT: 1980 for the Democrats.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Mittens would be endearingly square if he wasn't a useless plutocrat corporate raider

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Patter Song posted:

1976 on the Republican side and 1972 on the Democratic side were the most recent ones for each party.

EDIT: 1980 for the Democrats.

wait really? there was a brokered convention for the party with the incumbent president?

edit:

oh god I forgot, it's my main man Teddy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Democratic_National_Convention

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol :mitt: went to Burger King and ordered a Big Mac.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The ad before the video led me to this: https://store.nwtmint.com/product_details/6401/_Obombie_Obama_Zombie_Coin_mdash_In_Government_We_Trust_mdash_Silver/

:lol:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'd buy one of these ironically if I had the money.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
reminder that "brokered convention, donald trump the kingmaker" is the absolute most hilarious possible outcome of the primary elections

and the most profitable, if you're a liquor distillery

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Highly valuable treasure trove of some of the most learned Americans: urbandictionary.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Originally read the title as "borked convention"

Still just as likely

• Locked thread