Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, so I just watched some people playing a board game at about 2:30 AM when I really should be sleeping. Guess you guys are doing something right.

It does help that you're playing Catan, my favorite board game. I have to say, you guys are being incredibly gracious when it comes to trading. Just straight one for one swaps all the time. Whenever I played, people would make sure they got a 2:1 return on their stuff, at least before the harbors come into play, and god forbid you want some brick or ore and you don't have a tile to get some from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mzbundifund posted:

What's trading futures? Making trades based on promising to give resources you don't have yet once you get them?

Yeah, that's about the gist of it. Since there was no technical limit on just what you could do in negotiations, you could do all sorts of crazy poo poo. Imagine "Give me the resources I need to build a settlement there and I'll give you 50% of the resources I get over the next two rolls" or some stuff like that, and then somebody rolls a seven and you have to give up resources and you spend half an hour arguing that you losing resources (a negative gain) means that your trading partner should make up 50% of the loss to you.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I could very much get behind D&D encounters being described more like "you enter the room and encounter two fuckfaces".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

It's not a board game video without somebody loving up rules. That's like a physical constant or something.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

God bless the ability to draw on the table.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'd be down for giving it a shot, at least if we wouldn't be starting this year. I don't own Tabletop Simulator yet, but I am sort of interested in getting it and Christmas is coming up, so it seems like as good a time as any to get that and a somewhat proper mic.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

"I won't cheat", he says, moving his Sanity up two steps from 3 to 5 when the card only says to gain one. The evidence is on tape!

The T posted:

While I'd like to start in December, Round 1 doesn't have to have every match played in December. As long as you'll be ready by like... the 2nd week of January, I'll sign you up!

So something I should have said, and this applies to both of you, post your Skype so I can get in touch with you and bug you!

Yeah, I think I can work with January. Things could go wrong, but that's the future, it can always go wrong. My Skype is "themcd37593", but getting in touch or bugging me is much easier over my Steam, where my ID is "themcd".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Manic X posted:

That would be a horrible rule, since you'd have to keep reminding yourself what your starting value was everytime you would get the stat boost.

I thought the starting values were marked on the thing you use to track your stats.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

On that topic, I've got some test footage going that looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZJOZNQb6BU (might still be processing when you read this)

However, that's about 1,5 GB per minute (using Lagarith at 1280x720 and 60 FPS), which given a maximum hard drive space of 450 GB (of which I currently have 14 GB free) is going to be kind of tricky. I can probably free up a lot of space by just moving all my other Steam games and ROMs to my external hard drive, but even then I'm not going to get a whole lot of time in total. So either cutting quality or cutting FPS would be a big help.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Door opening mechanism chat being interrupted by "what's our quest again anyway" cracked me the gently caress up.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SubNat posted:

Now, on the note of Colt Express, the other players were nice enough to oblige me to running 2 rounds of the game back to back when we recorded it.
This was not as good of an idea as I had hoped it was, as it meant that we ended up with 1 pretty good round, and 1 where we were getting a bit tired, a bit unfocused, and pretty miserable.

So although I'm quite sure I know what your answers will be, do y'all want me to upload the second round as well? ( It's a team variant of the game, so it's pretty different from the first, which was why I originally wished to do it. )

Just want to point out that we would really appreciate some feedback regarding this - the people involved seem kind of split between "christ that was a lovely round, just trash it" and "eh, gently caress it, we already got the poo poo recorded, might as well put it up, maybe somebody will like it".

Or in other words and more general, would you want more content, but lower quality content at times, or less content, but high quality content (you know, relatively speaking har har self deprecating humor).

So if you're reading this and regularly enjoy the videos, please drop a line - after all, we're doing this for you!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 23, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'm just going to quote an earlier post of mine.

TheMcD posted:

It's not a board game video without somebody loving up rules. That's like a physical constant or something.

Of course, my LP debut would be privy to the biggest fuckup yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

curiousCat posted:

I could if you need another, though I'm not too familiar with newer cards.

As of right now, we're only playing with the Base Set cards, so it's only the oldest ones imaginable.

• Locked thread