Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
He was nearly killed when unknown mercenaries attacked the company where he worked as the head of security. Now he's back from the dead, with state-of-the-art augmentations, and is set on tracking down those bastards. There's a catch, however. He's alone and the enemies are plentiful. And if he dies, there is no coming back from the dead any more. It is life. It is Iron Man.

The game

Many people are probably familiar with this game. But if you aren't, that's only for the better. This game is a sort of first person shooter/sneaker, where either shooter approach, sneaker approach or mixed approach can be taken for almost every mission. For example, you may just kill all the guards in open shootout, or you may kill them stealthily with a silenced pistol or just knock them out with your fists, or you may avoid them altogether, using conveniently placed air vents and other stuff like that.

My favorite parts of the game are cities. When on missions between cities, the game behaves similar to many modern games, in the sense that even if you have multiple routes available, you still move from point to point along a plot-defined main route. In the cities, you are completely free to roam around. But that would probably make it much harder to make a nice clip for this LP, because I'll need to edit out all that run-around and yet still show the city to watchers.

The main character is Adam Jensen who worked in SWAT, but now works as the security chief of a bio-tech company, Sarif Industries. One of the leading scientists in the company is Adam's ex-girlfriend Megan Reed.

The company develops and makes human augmentations, and Adam is equipped with most of them. The concept was invented by billionaire Hugh Darrow, the idea is to enhance human body to allow it to do various things, like turn invisible, jump higher, hack various electronic devices or even convince people using some sort of pheromones. You'll see in the Prologue the detailed story about how Adam came to be augmented, and later on it is explained why most of his augmentations are turned off in the beginning. To make long story short, it works like in a primitive RPG: you level up, you get a Praxis point, which can be used to upgrade or turn on some augmentations. Upgrades cost 1 point, new augs usually cost 2, but sometimes 1 as well. Leveling is linear: for every 5000 XP Adam gets a Praxis. Praxis points, in the form of software, can also be bought, found or received as quest rewards.

Experience is awarded for various things, like completing an objective (additional bonuses for not being seen and not triggering any alarms), taking out opponents (bonuses for headshots, unarmed and/or non-lethal take-downs) and hacking random devices. For Iron Man run, having as many Praxis as possible is essential, so I'll try to keep XP count high, provided it can be done with no risks involved.

The rules of this LP

It's just as it says. If I die during this playthrough, this LP is over. I have Iron Manned this game once so I have some chance of doing it again, though. I will be following the guide I wrote.

The first priority is to stay alive, of course. Nevertheless, I'm aiming to complete all the quests perfectly (like I did in my previous playthrough). But if I screw up something, there is no going back, of course.

LP format

Video on YouTube with subtitles. English is not my native language, so no voice, sorry.

Update schedule

I'll be posting updates mainly during weekends. The usual plan is one or two updates each weekend. If an update gets too long, however, I split it in two and that makes it two to four updates instead.

The videos

There's a playlist containing all of the updates, and here are the individual videos:

Part 0: The Prologue (intro and silly shooting)—Polsy
Part 1: Sarif Plant (sneaky action)—Polsy
Part 2.1: Introduction to Detroit (talks, some looting)—Polsy
Part 2.2: The Neuropozyne Quest (talks and run-around)—Polsy
Part 2.3: Detroit Police Department (talks, including one dialogue challenge, and run-around)—Polsy
Part 2.4: The Evil Cop Quest and the Rest (action, sniping, talks, run-around)—Polsy
Part 3.1: Highland Park Sneaky Action (sniping, awesome sneaking)—Polsy
Part 3.2: Barrett and Preparations for Hengsha (boss fight, talks, one dialogue challenge)—Polsy
Part 4.1: Hengsha Whores, Court Gardens and the Hive (talks, run-around, sneaking, one dialogue challenge)—Polsy
Part 4.2: Hengsha—Lee and Jaya Quests (talks, run-around, sneaking, one minor gently caress-up)—Polsy
Part 5: Alice Garden Pods (sneaking, some plot)—Polsy
Part 6.1: Die Young Medical Lower Tower and the Pangu (sneaking)—Polsy
Part 6.2: Die Young Medical Upper Tower (hilarious sneaking, an important plot cutscene, one serious gently caress-up)—Polsy
Part 7.1: Montreal Upper Levels (sneaking, some plot, one fun way to avoid enemies)—Polsy
Part 7.2: Montreal Secret Lair, Fedorova Included (sneaking, an important plot cutscene, one gently caress-up)—Polsy
Part 8.1: Back to Detroit (Taggart and Sandoval) (two dialogue challenges, important plot, sneaking, shooting, run-around, all-in-one!)—Polsy
Part 8.2: Back to Detroit (Radford and White) (talks, run-around, some sneaking and shooting)—Polsy
Part 9.1: Back to Hengsha (Malik and Tong Sr.) (pretty much balanced everything)—Polsy
Part 9.2: Back to Hengsha (Terrorists, Zelazny and Tong Jr.) (talks, run-around, some perfect sneaking)—Polsy
Part 10: Belltower Port (useless sneaking, hacking, run-around, pretty boring overall)—Polsy
Part 11: Hei Zhen Zhu (no comments other that it's a must-watch)—Polsy
Part 12.1: RBS loading bays (sneaking, some talks and one hilarious stunt)—Polsy
Part 12.2: RBS Admin (sneaking and talking)—Polsy
Part 12.3: RBS Detention and Interrogation (sneaking, plot)—Polsy
Part 12.4: RBS Action (sneaking, sniping, shooting, talking, everything)—Polsy
Part 13: Singapore (sneaking, some talking)—Polsy
Part 14 (final): Panchaea (boring, as one would expect)—Polsy

Alqualos fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 1: Sarif Plant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuRaRgs9b9M

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe add some information about the game to the OP? I mean, okay, it's HR, it's pretty famous, but there still might be some people who haven't heard of it.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 2.1. Introduction to Detroit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDd89JedMtk

This one turned to be really boring. As well as the upcoming one. They were supposed to be one update, but when I saw they turned out to be about one hour... And most of it is just talk. I'm beginning to wonder if I should cut out all talk and run-around altogether, leaving only action. Because as far as Iron Man concerned, it's only action that matters. And the rest is pretty boring to watch.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I think you can keep treating them like you did this update. If people want to skip a particularly talky part they already can. (But you can put a talky/sneaky/shooty rating in the post itself.)

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 2.2: Detroit—Neuropozyne quest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7JnecQCeo

This one is mostly talk and run-around. Only a couple of fun moments that has nothing to do with Iron Man, one sneaky take-down and some sniping action at about 12:00, but that's pretty easy and boring too. I mostly collected XP and weapon upgrades during these two updates, so maybe the next one will contain more action.

There is nothing really exciting in Detroit anyway (I'm not counting HIghland Park here). The interesting parts are MCB hideout and two visits to Derelict Row, and I'll definitely notify you when I post the updates containing those. However, if I screw up talking with Haas, some exciting action may happen earlier than that!

Alqualos fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 18, 2015

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm really digging this so far. I've always liked the whole Super Cyborg Ninja thing Deus Ex had, but that doesn't mean I was ever any good at it.

Edit: I would really appreciate it if you kept talking in. You can leave notes for when the action restarts for people who want to skip it?

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 5, 2015

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Glad someone actually watches this!

Part 2.3: Detroit Police (talks and run-around)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYLyEKpfIic

This update is one of the boring ones, only talks and looting. The dialogue challenge with Haas is something, though. One of the most unpredictable conversationalists in the whole game. It's actually the second challenge, but I skipped the first one (with Zeke) because I'd have to let Zeke go if I talked to him, which I didn't want.

The video is not HD yet, but it should be soon, when YouTube finishes processing. I'll edit this post when I notice the change. The video is HD now. The next update is coming, and this time it will contain some exciting action! Not too much, but still rather risky.

Alqualos fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 11, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Is Haas really that difficult? I just went with Absolve, Plead, Absolve, Crush or something like that and I know I've done it without crushing on another play-through as well.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Ahundredbux posted:

Is Haas really that difficult? I just went with Absolve, Plead, Absolve, Crush or something like that and I know I've done it without crushing on another play-through as well.

He's unpredictable. Sometimes you Absolve, and then he suddenly gets angry even if he was fine with that the last time you tried that. Sometimes you can do it without Crushing, sometimes you can't. I don't know if you can screw up the conversation entirely even before getting to the last choice. But if you do get to the last choice, then there are all three options and you have to choose carefully because if you pick up the wrong one, he just tells you to gently caress off even if the whole conversation went well before that.

The first time I managed to convince him, he went on about how he wants to get rid of the whole thing or something along these lines. I said to him that we can put it behind us, and it worked well. The next time the conversation went well from the start, but he said that he wants me to say that "it's not his fault". I missed the obvious hint and chose the "put it behind us" line because it worked the first time, and this time I failed. Then I played the game numerous times and each time it was one of the two choices. Now when I decide to do this LP he suddenly goes off with a line I never heard before! Too bad for him I figured it out that it should be the third option that does the trick in this case. But it was obvious to me only because I knew the other lines! If I didn't, imagine how I would feel if he's saying "I blame you for all that" and I just go on, "No, it's your fault". Doesn't look very much like the right choice, does it?

That being said, he's not ridiculously difficult. Just the most difficult dialogue in the whole game, if only because it's the most unpredictable. The dialogue challenges aren't hard in general, but if you don't know every possible option, there is still a probability that you screw up, and in Iron Man it can be very annoying. On the other hand, at least it doesn't kill you instantly.

If I was to rate dialogue challenges, I'd say that top three are Haas, Sarif and Darrow, in that order. Others are ridiculously easy, but these can be tricky from time to time.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 2.4: Detroit Police (action)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b3PGPnsu48

This one has two really exciting moments—the MCB hideout at the beginning and the guards in sewers at about 12:50. There is also some sniping action. Overall, I think this one turned out to be a well-balanced update.

This is the last update for this weekend. See you next weekend in Highland Park—one of the most exciting places for an Iron Man!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, I guess the first rule of iron manning this game is to run away a lot and never jump off a ledge.

Jensen has pretty weak knees until you give him the no fall damage upgrade...

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Alqualos posted:

He's unpredictable. Sometimes you Absolve, and then he suddenly gets angry even if he was fine with that the last time you tried that. Sometimes you can do it without Crushing, sometimes you can't. I don't know if you can screw up the conversation entirely even before getting to the last choice. But if you do get to the last choice, then there are all three options and you have to choose carefully because if you pick up the wrong one, he just tells you to gently caress off even if the whole conversation went well before that.

Well, the trick is to tell him what he wants to hear and then decide if you want him to blame himself or you.

But the way dialogue "bosses" in this game works is pretty cool.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Ahundredbux posted:

Well, the trick is to tell him what he wants to hear and then decide if you want him to blame himself or you.
No, the trick is to figure out whether he wants you to blame him or not. And if he says he blames you, that means he wants you to blame him; if he asks you to tell him it's not his fault, do so; otherwise, if he doesn't say anything about blames and faults, choose the "put it behind" answer. Took me a while to figure it out, though.

Whats untypical about him is that any of the final answers can be the correct one. Most challenges only have one right last answer. As far as I could figure, at least Taggart and Tong work like this, maybe Sarif too. And many others are usually much easier to figure out by listening to what they are saying.

Speedball posted:

So, I guess the first rule of iron manning this game is to run away a lot and never jump off a ledge.
There's more to it than that. And "run away a lot" is a dangerous simplification. In fact, I'd rather say you should never run away unless you are sure that it's a safe thing to do. Take the MCB hideout, for example. If I panicked and tried to run away, the thug standing in the doorway would probably shoot me. And since he has a shotgun, that could mean instant death. Of course, I buffed my HP to 200, but even then I'm not sure I'd survived.

So sometimes you want to run away (if you have an escape plan ready), sometimes you want to stay cool and finish your business first, and sometimes you want to run away again, but not back where you came from, but instead right ahead! This is especially true if there is an elevator or something that triggers end-of-mission (Belltower port is a good example).

Speedball posted:

Jensen has pretty weak knees until you give him the no fall damage upgrade...
That's why I never tried to get that virus next to the fire escape leading to Seurat. And I'm taking Icarus as soon as I get to Hengsha. Assuming I survive Highland Park—it has a couple of tricky moments, one of which is really risky.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Thanks for keeping talky bits in~

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

This seems like a pretty chill LP, hope you make it all the way through. I'd put a list of the updates in the OP though.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I want to add my voice to the talking/reading/&c appreciation team. Its where the game really gets its flavour, if you're watching. Definitely enjoying it!

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Thanks for keeping talky bits in~
It'd be more troublesome to cut them out, actually. The only reason I've asked about them was that I was afraid they'd be too boring to watch. But since nobody minds that, and some actually asked to leave them there, well, that's only less work for me!

Victis posted:

This seems like a pretty chill LP, hope you make it all the way through. I'd put a list of the updates in the OP though.
There's a link to the playlist containing all of the updates. Is that not enough?

If I make it through Highland Park alive, then I'll probably make it all the way to Missing Link, so the next update is a really important one.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I'd personally prefer having all episodes individually in the OP. Nice LP so far!

Jensen / Pritchard banter is one of my favorite parts of this game :v:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Alqualos posted:

No, the trick is to figure out whether he wants you to blame him or not. And if he says he blames you, that means he wants you to blame him; if he asks you to tell him it's not his fault, do so; otherwise, if he doesn't say anything about blames and faults, choose the "put it behind" answer. Took me a while to figure it out, though.

Yeah, that's what I said isn't it :v:

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Trogdos! posted:

I'd personally prefer having all episodes individually in the OP.
Embedded? Wouldn't it be too bulky?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Have you seen the OPs in all the other threads? They get preeeeeeeeetty bulky really quickly

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Aces High posted:

Have you seen the OPs in all the other threads? They get preeeeeeeeetty bulky really quickly

Looked at some threads, but haven't found any OPs with lots of embedded videos. I have seen some with video links, though. How on Earth do you avoid automatically embedding them? I managed to do it by turning off JavaScript, but is there a more elegant solution?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

To just link videos rather than embed them you can copy the address and then paste it with the right click menu rather than a standard ctrl+V if I recall correctly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A like this, I think, I have youtube embed disabled on my account.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN

Alqualos posted:

Embedded? Wouldn't it be too bulky?

No, I meant just linking each video individually rather than just the playlist, just as you seem to have done. Thanks :v:

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

SIGSEGV posted:

To just link videos rather than embed them you can copy the address and then paste it with the right click menu rather than a standard ctrl+V if I recall correctly.
...or just paste by pressing Shift+Insert! Your post has just made me realize that.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Alqualos posted:

...or just paste by pressing Shift+Insert! Your post has just made me realize that.

And I've learned something new too.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

is Deux Ex easier to go silent or to go loud? A lot of LPs I have seen tend to focus more on "Foxiest of the Hounds" runs so is it more challenging to avoid raising alarms?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Aces High posted:

is Deux Ex easier to go silent or to go loud? A lot of LPs I have seen tend to focus more on "Foxiest of the Hounds" runs so is it more challenging to avoid raising alarms?

The Deus Ex games are all easier if you take them slowly and carefully, although not precisely stealthily. The easiest Deus Ex: HR run would probably be stealth + lethal.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

That really depends on the area. The easiest way to through is hybrid - you stealth kill everyone you can and shoot up the rest when you lose the advantage; a silent sniper rifle is really all you ever need to get through the game, especially since the DC version added a lot of stuff to the bossfights.
Foxiest is a bitch of an achievement (hurr) because some things that shouldn't count as alarms do (scripted defense sections, I'm looking at you) and it doesn't always remember to give you the Ghost bonus.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
In fact, Deus Ex: HR is very similar to the original Deus Ex in this sense. You can't go all out shooting the assault rifle because even if you kill the enemy wielding it without letting him fire a single shot, he only has some 1-3 ammo despite the fact that a complete clip is 30 rounds or so. So yeah, ninja style is probably easier. I'd recommend the 10mm pistol instead of the silenced sniper rifle for several reasons. One is that it is more powerful against armored enemies even than the non-silenced sniper rifle! Another that is ammo is far more common. Add to that the stun gun and the tranq rifle and you'll have my weapon set from this LP. The tranq rifle has less range than the sniper rifle, but it is easier to handle without the aim stabilizer and it takes out anyone in a single shot, no headshots needed. The stun gun is perfect for blind fire from cover at point-blank range. Add some grenades to that and you're pretty much invincible.

It also depends on the difficulty. You'll have a lot of trouble surviving open shootouts even on the medium one. So if you're planning a psycho lethal run, you better select the easiest difficulty. On the other hand, because of the messed up energy management in the DC version, for stealthy runs I'd recommend the highest difficulty.

And I totally agree that the tactics depends on the area. To quote Adam, "Whatever works, works". If you're facing a couple of guys who are hard to get close, shoot the farthest one with the tranq rifle, then shoot the remaining one when he tries to revive his buddy. If you're facing a large open area with a turret or a bot, look for the security hub (unless you care about the ghost bonus, but we're talking about the easiest strategy, not the most rewarding one). If there is a convenient shortcut, use it and avoid the fight altogether. If there is an air duct with a barred area, headshoot everyone with the 10mm pistol from there. If you're about to enter a room with a guard facing the door all the time, take cover, open the door and shoot him with the stun gun or the shotgun (if you don't care about being silent at that point) when he gets close. If there are several guards in one place, throw a grenade at them. Et cetera, et cetera.

Back to the LP, there are two Highland Park updates coming today. I made it safely through it, and there is some real classy sneaking action in there!

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
And here is the first one of the promised updates.

Part 3.1: Highland Park—sneaky action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzNtX-l7RCo

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
Yeah, :rip:

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 3.2: Barrett and preparations for Hengsha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p9AuBwr8BQ

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

I wonder what's your augmentation 'plan' as it were. You seem to keep 2 praxis around at all times so you can buy things as necessary-is that just force of habit or is that actually a good idea?

I'm curious as to why you haven't bought dermal armor yet-it has a great upgrade for exploration purposes (electrical immunity) that also is, if I remember, really useful for one of the boss fights. Planning on doing that sometime during Hengsha?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I am honestly surprised that "I never asked for this" or whatever became a meme but this gets nothing.

Easily the one thing I always remember about this game, just the delivery makes it amazing

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

MJ12 posted:

I wonder what's your augmentation 'plan' as it were. You seem to keep 2 praxis around at all times so you can buy things as necessary-is that just force of habit or is that actually a good idea?
It's a really good idea because during different playthroughs I mess up different things and therefore end up with different Praxis count. For example, I once messed up HIghland Park and didn't get the ghost bonus. Now if I desperately need that one aug, but have zero Praxis points to spare, that would be a big trouble. Imagine what would happen if I end up at Barrett's with no turret domination? Or maybe I mess up some stealth action and will immediately need cloak level 3 to get away safely. So I just get all the augs I really need, saving a few points for emergency.

My aug plan is described in my guide with more details in each location section.

MJ12 posted:

I'm curious as to why you haven't bought dermal armor yet-it has a great upgrade for exploration purposes (electrical immunity) that also is, if I remember, really useful for one of the boss fights. Planning on doing that sometime during Hengsha?
Exploration for the sake of exploration is not something you want to do in an Iron Man run. Up to this point, I simply didn't need it. The armor is good, though, for unplanned shootouts—gives more chances to get away safely. I'll definitely need EMP shielding for Fedorova, but I'll try to get it as early as Alice Garden Pods because it's also useful there.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Gotta say I'm really enjoying this LP so far. It manages to be quite subdued and chilled out to watch, but with spikes of nearly unbearable tension sprinkled in. I can't wait to see how it goes in China and beyond, as once Hengsha's over with you'll hit the part of the game where all my attempted ghost runs invariably went to poo poo and I'll be taking plenty of pointers from your playthrough on how to get through it.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
In fact, I think that part will be quite boring (except Alice Garden Pods). Die Young Medical and Montreal are quite hard to sneak through and very dangerous to shoot through, so I'm just going to cloak-and-run most of the hard parts. Although it can be exciting too in some way.

Where this LP will really shine is Missing Link, assuming I get that far (which shouldn't be that hard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

What made Highland Park so difficult? Is it just the usual "first big mission, low-level" brickwall that most RPGs tend to have?

• Locked thread