Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Alqualos posted:

Where this LP will really shine is Missing Link, assuming I get that far (which shouldn't be that hard).
Going to do Factory Zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I appreciate that you aren't skipping the dialogue and cutscenes. I know showing off the plot isn't really your main focus, but I don't have the entire game memorized like most challenge run videos seem to expect me to, so it's nice to see what's going on between the action.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Aces High posted:

What made Highland Park so difficult? Is it just the usual "first big mission, low-level" brickwall that most RPGs tend to have?
It's the combination of powerful enemies and not yet fully developed augs. Imagine what would happen if I screw up that first detention block with a boxguard. In the best case, I'd have to hide inside that vent. Assuming they don't kill me before I get there. Cloak level 1 doesn't help much. I screwed up once the open area at the beginning. OK, I thought, this scaffolding looks like a perfect place to hide until things calm down. So I got there and waited, looking at my radar. The next thing I knew is that someone shot me with a shotgun at point-blank range. Apparently it was one of those drat sneakers turned invisible, so I couldn't see him on the radar. And of course I had no See Invisible aug.

Another time I screwed up the second detention block. Shot that patrolling guard when he was looking at me. Turned everyone hostile. Had to hide inside the armory, where they didn't bother looking. Then I repeated the whole process and got through safely. But when I got to those FEMA rats, they got hostile right when they saw me! Apparently they remember the fact that alarm was activated, and treat anyone suspicious as an enemy without warning. Had to run ahead to the boss before any more enemies showed up.

So yeah, it's kind of like most RPGs, but with the additional fact that you have the most powerful enemies here. Excluding heavies, but sneakers are way more trouble if you ask me. That would be like playing Fallout 2 and having to deal with Enclave soldiers somewhere in the Den. And that's exactly what makes sneaking particularly effective here.

anilEhilated posted:

Going to do Factory Zero?

Er, this is not exactly compatible with an Iron Man run. No. But still, having to sneak around with virtually no weapons or augs is something when you don't have an option to reload. This makes Hei Zhen Zhu pretty awesome. And I have a couple of hilarious tricks for RBS in stock too.

Alqualos fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 18, 2015

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 4.1: Hengsha (whores, Hengsha Court Gardens and the Hive)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNGHkmUjw8U

The rest of Hengsha run-around is coming up today as well. There is nothing particularly interesting here except the plot and the city itself. It's mostly the usual run-around and talks.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 4.2: Hengsha (Lee and Jaya)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa3uWfezBq0

This update is the last for this weekend and it ends at Alice Garden Pods just before action starts. So the run-around in Hengsha is complete now. Except for run-around and talks, there is one minor gently caress-up in this update where I barely got out unscathed. I don't think it was a life-threatening situation, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hengsha is pretty easy in general. The way you play I don't really see you getting in trouble until... I'd guess Montreal, that level is a bitch.
These videos are really making me want to replay this with an explosive-happy Jensen or something.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
There are some hard moments in Die Young Medical too. And the beginning of Alice Garden Pods ambush. As for Montreal, there is only one hard moment, but it's really, really hard. But the thing is, I believe I've mastered all of the hard moments at the game, so I'd expect if I ever run into trouble that will be in a place where one would least expect that, because of some stupid mistake, like one I made when getting back from Jaya in the last update. The best thing about this LP is that even I have no idea when things get wrong (if they get wrong at all).

I'm experiencing some problems with the last video. I get an error when I try to open it in HD, either after a few moments of playback or right away. Hope it's a temporary error.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'm only through the first few videos - I like weird challenge runs of games, so this attracted my attention, I like the fact you're going 'mostly stealthy', games like this deserve that. Is there any reason you're recording in 4:3 and not widescreen? Its not a huge deal but most monitors are 16:9 - if you play in 4:3, I would recommend widescreen (I don't know what kind of monitor/recording setup you have, though) because its a littler easier. I'm not saying to purchase a new monitor for a Let's Play, though :)

quick edit: Sometimes I'll browse other windows when watching this, so when I flip back I have to pause to read your commentary if I'm using the small viewer. Could you maybe provide a polsy link on your updates? It makes it a lot more readable, and eliminates the black vertical bars when using the small viewer.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 18, 2015

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

ProfessorBooty posted:

Is there any reason you're recording in 4:3 and not widescreen?
The reason is quite simple. I only have a 19" 4:3 monitor. It's pretty old, but it's a very good professional NEC MultiSync LCD 1990SXi so I don't want to just throw it away just because. And I'm used to 4:3, although I suspect I'll have to get used to 16:9 once it's time to finally buy a new one. I also have a huge 55" windescreen TV, but with my myopia it's good for movies but not so much for games—pretty hard to read subtitles and other things, and there's no way I'm wearing glasses during playing, it's more than enough of eye strain as it is. And besides, maximum comfort is needed for an Iron Man run, so sitting on a sofa in front of the TV with an unfamiliar wireless keyboard on my knees is not a viable option.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Could you maybe provide a polsy link on your updates?
Done. In the OP. I'll also be adding one to each of the individual updates.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Because of Alqualos's playthrough, I installed the Director's Cut to play through the game again (the last time I played through DXHR was the vanilla version) and I found something new and interesting: You can actually bluff the FEMA dudes at Highland Park-you need to choose the 'deep cover operative' and the 'I'm not telling a suit top secret information' dialogue choices, but you can do it. They even give you the access code to the door behind them.

And if you have the reflex booster aug, you can then punch both of them in the face for a handy 125 XP.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
I'm enjoying this LP, Alqualos! I like how the bums were whistling the Deus Ex theme in ep 2.1, nice touch.

For those of us who have never played Deus Ex HR, can you explain how hacking works?

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I like how the bums were whistling the Deus Ex theme in ep 2.1, nice touch.
Er, where exactly? I don't think I've seen any bums in 2.1. And I thought the only character whistling the Deus Ex theme is Tracer Tong.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

For those of us who have never played Deus Ex HR, can you explain how hacking works?
Oh, it's stupidly simple. You just capture the nodes one by one. You need to capture all of the greenies or all of the reds (security system nodes). Each time you capture a node, you have some chance to be detected. The chance depends on your hacking stealth level and on the level of the node. Once detected, the reds start to trace you. If they reach you, the hacking fails and the alarm triggers. You can disconnect early to prevent the alarm, but you still lose a hacking attempt (the number of attempts depends on the device security rating). The time needed to capture a node depends on your capture skill and the node level. You can also capture data stores which contain XP, money or hacking software. There are also API nodes that can slow down enemy trace (SPAM), decrease data store nodes level (Clearance), decrease the nearby nodes level (Soften) or randomly redistribute levels of the nearby nodes (Transfer). The nodes are connected by "bridges" which can be bidirectional or unidirectional, which means that you can only proceed from one side to another, but not the other way around. The red nodes are often protected by unidirectional bridges, which means they can capture you, but you can't capture them. That makes some sense because if you win by capturing all of them, you automatically get all of the data store contents (by capturing all of the security nodes you basically become the owner of the whole network).

Speaking about hacking software, there are two types. A Nuke captures a single node of any level with zero detection chance, a Stop halts enemy backtrace for a few seconds (five, I think)—of course, it only works if you have been already detected, otherwise you just can't use Stop at all. You replenish your software by capturing data store nodes or by finding it in random places or by buying it. In Hengsha updates you can see how I sometimes waste one or two Stops simply because I fail to notice one of the greenies or mistake a unidirectional bridge for a bidirectional one, thus taking the wrong route. Stop is my favorite software, by the way, since you can use the gained time for anything. Nuke just gives you a single node, but it is incredibly useful for high-level nodes.

There are various hacking augs, but useful ones are capture and stealth. Capture allows you to hack higher level devices. If your capture aug level is lower than a device level, you can't even enter the hacking minigame. Capture also includes specials such as turret and bot control. I currently have Turret Domination, but not bot one. Hacking stealth decreases the chance of being detected, making it easier to capture data store nodes and thus to replenish your software supply. There is also the useless hacking analyze aug which is awful because it just gives you useless information. And there is also the hacking fortify aug which is annoying because you can increase strength of the captured nodes, thus slowing enemy backtrace and giving you more time, but this activity requires some of your time by itself and it is also increases the chance of detection, which makes it even more useless. The security systems use this ability, though, by fortifying the nodes on the way, as the backtrace moves towards you, which makes Stop even more useful because if you're quick enough, you can capture those nodes before they are fortified, and that is much quicker.

Oh, and there are AUDs which just quickly hack any device with no effort whatsoever. They were added in the DC apparently to give some balance to the players who don't develop hacking, but even for skilled hackers AUDs are extremely useful for stealth. You really don't want to be seen by an enemy while hacking.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

talking about game mechanics I notice a lot of times when you get into certain dialogues with people it is now "pick the right dialogue choice to continue" and in a lot of other LPs by this point (or even earlier) people have installed CASSIE. Is it actually necessary at all once you know how all the dialogue trees work? Do you still need it for the end game where you confront Taggart (or whichever character is voiced by Mr. Ratburn) or is everything able to be done without that Aug?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Aces High posted:

talking about game mechanics I notice a lot of times when you get into certain dialogues with people it is now "pick the right dialogue choice to continue" and in a lot of other LPs by this point (or even earlier) people have installed CASSIE. Is it actually necessary at all once you know how all the dialogue trees work? Do you still need it for the end game where you confront Taggart (or whichever character is voiced by Mr. Ratburn) or is everything able to be done without that Aug?

You can win every dialogue without the CASIE, it just brings up some additional options. Furthermore, in some sidequests, having a CASIE opens up certain interesting benefits-in the Cloak&Dagger sidequest we saw in Detroit, for example, you can get O'Malley to give you a thousand credits as an advance for the assassination with the CASIE.

Also, it has unique dialogue lines which are always great.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If you have the social aug and are talking to Malik, she tells you not to dare use it on her (but you can, you sociopathic jerk). I think it actually loses you a certain conversation late in the game, but that's probably just hearsay on my part.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
That's right, CASIE provides fun dialogues sometimes (Malik, Zelazny, "Братан"), additional info (a guard in TYM, Mengyao) or some marginally useful stuff like money (that bouncer—although a punch in the face works just as well, provided you have 2000 to begin with, then again O'Malley). There is one time where you can gain additional XP by using the wrong choice of pheromones, we'll get to it if I have Praxis points to spare, which I probably will. Every dialogue challenge, however, can be won without CASIE, but they are randomized pretty well, so you'll have to get through them many times before you actually understand how every option works. Or may or may not work. That being said, the hardest dialogue was probably Haas and I'm already past that. Taggart is pretty hard too, but as far as I can see there is only one right last option, and the only time I hosed up that dialogue was when I chose another one.

I think I'll get CASIE on the second visit to Detroit, if only to save Radford, get more info from Michelle and get that additional XP, even though it probably won't matter any more. Later it will be useful to get additional plot info from Mengyao, but then I don't plan to get CASIE back in Missing Link or afterwards. There is only one dialogue after Missing Link, and it doesn't matter at all whether I win or lose there.

As far as Malik goes, I don't think you lose anything. In fact, you can't even actually use it. You try it, and then she says something like "If you ever think of using it, I'll punch you" to which you reply "I wouldn't dream of it", and that's just it.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Alqualos posted:

I think I'll get CASIE on the second visit to Detroit, if only to save Radford, get more info from Michelle and get that additional XP, even though it probably won't matter any more. Later it will be useful to get additional plot info from Mengyao, but then I don't plan to get CASIE back in Missing Link or afterwards. There is only one dialogue after Missing Link, and it doesn't matter at all whether I win or lose there.

Why not get it for Missing Link? The CASIE unlocks 2 additional Praxis kits and some other gear from the vendor in Missing Link, and there's not much to do with cash after Missing Link, so if you have the cash to spare it's basically a free augmentation.

wiegieman posted:

If you have the social aug and are talking to Malik, she tells you not to dare use it on her (but you can, you sociopathic jerk). I think it actually loses you a certain conversation late in the game, but that's probably just hearsay on my part.

If Alqualos had used the CASIE on Haas, the next time he returned to Detroit Haas would be waiting for Jensen in the lobby, with a gun, in the hopes of killing him. This is, I believe, the only time a CASIE interaction leads to a negative consequence.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

MJ12 posted:

If Alqualos had used the CASIE on Haas, the next time he returned to Detroit Haas would be waiting for Jensen in the lobby, with a gun, in the hopes of killing him. This is, I believe, the only time a CASIE interaction leads to a negative consequence.

Out of curiosity I wiki'd Haas and it seems that the wiki disagrees with that, stating that in the second encounter with Haas he will pull a gun on you if you tell him to gently caress off, or if you blackmailed him back at the station.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

MJ12 posted:

Why not get it for Missing Link? The CASIE unlocks 2 additional Praxis kits and some other gear from the vendor in Missing Link, and there's not much to do with cash after Missing Link, so if you have the cash to spare it's basically a free augmentation.
So I have to spend 2 Praxis kits only to be able to spend some cash to get it back? It somehow disagrees with my definition of "free". And there is also the LIMB kiosk in Panchaea that sells Praxis kits, so it's not exactly true that you have nothing to do with cash. Still, it's true it's only cash that I lose. But what do I get in exchange? Only some additional dialogue? "Roman gods and Illuminati" and such stuff? I'd rather get some Praxis points in Panchaea for Aim Stabilizer (marginally useful for the last boss) or something. Anyway, it'll depend on how much money I'll have by then. And, more importantly, if I even have enough spare Praxis points by the time I reach Quinn's, which is unlikely because I rarely have more than one spare Praxis in Missing Link.

Trogdos! posted:

Out of curiosity I wiki'd Haas and it seems that the wiki disagrees with that, stating that in the second encounter with Haas he will pull a gun on you if you tell him to gently caress off, or if you blackmailed him back at the station.
Blackmail is exactly what CASIE does for Haas, and you can't blackmail him without CASIE. I had no idea that he pulls a gun for that, though. Still, it makes perfect sense.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Alqualos posted:

So I have to spend 2 Praxis kits only to be able to spend some cash to get it back? It somehow disagrees with my definition of "free". And there is also the LIMB kiosk in Panchaea that sells Praxis kits, so it's not exactly true that you have nothing to do with cash. Still, it's true it's only cash that I lose. But what do I get in exchange? Only some additional dialogue? "Roman gods and Illuminati" and such stuff? I'd rather get some Praxis points in Panchaea for Aim Stabilizer (marginally useful for the last boss) or something. Anyway, it'll depend on how much money I'll have by then. And, more importantly, if I even have enough spare Praxis points by the time I reach Quinn's, which is unlikely because I rarely have more than one spare Praxis in Missing Link.

The CASIE also allows you to get a pretty useful door code from Keitner, which makes one of the objectives much, much easier, as well as some extra gear.

And I say it's free because it's not like you're going to be doing anything with the cash you have (and it's pretty easy to have 15000+ cash at that point anyways), so there's no real opportunity cost. You get the praxis back, you get a very useful code straight-out via Keitner, and you lose basically nothing in return given that you tend to have 2+ saved Praxis points most of the time. I mean, obviously if you need the points to not die, that's one thing, but I wouldn't just rule it out.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
It's easy to have 15000+ cash if you explore everywhere, but it's not what I'm doing. I think I'll have around 10000 at best. I can spend it there or in Panchaea. Both choices don't really give anything that useful, so I can go with either, provided that actually have two Praxis points to spare at that stage. Which I usually don't because my strategy for Missing Link requires lots of Praxis already. But maybe, just maybe I'll have one Praxis to spare by the time I get to Quinn's, then I can buy another one from him and get CASIE. But that would be after the conversation with Geveret Keitner, so it's only for giggles and the plot.

And neither that code nor the extra goods are anywhere useful to me. The goods include mostly weapon upgrades and the code assumes that I use frontal assault tactics, which is not exactly what is needed for Iron Man, so I'd rather use the sneaky way where that particular code is pretty much useless.

Come to think of it, there is a Praxis in the loading bay 1. If I get it then go to Quinn immediately and buy another one there, I guess I can get CASIE, provided I have enough cash. I guess I'll have to think about that when I actually get there.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Slowly catching up on the videos. Best part of the run so far is a toss up between you skipping almost the entirety of the Highland Park surface via a door that I had no loving clue was there (literally threw my hands in the air at that point because I had no frigging clue where you were at first, then I started swearing when I realized you were already at the goddamned elevator) and dunking on Barrett with the turrets. The boss fights were the worst part of the original release, so glad they fixed them for the DC.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, the Barrett turret fun show was a riot.

I've somehow never seen Barrett's computer before and I didn't even remember there were FEMA people in there.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Alqualos posted:

Er, where exactly? I don't think I've seen any bums in 2.1. And I thought the only character whistling the Deus Ex theme is Tracer Tong.
Sorry, it was actually in 2.2, around 11:35. That graffiti artist or someone around there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7JnecQCeo

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I always use the death and taxes line. Jensen's disnissive delivery really sells it :allears:

I pay the guy though. He may be a tool, but his heart is in the right place. 1000 credits is nothing and I'm usually swimming in them by the time I get to that point.
(I'm the weirdo who obsessivly sells every gun I find to shops, even if it takes multiple trips)

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Sorry, it was actually in 2.2, around 11:35. That graffiti artist or someone around there.
Wow. I never noticed it because it sounds changed somehow, but once you know about it, it is quite distinguishable.

SSNeoman posted:

I always use the death and taxes line. Jensen's disnissive delivery really sells it :allears:
I usually don't choose the death and taxes line, but only because Mr. X'es reaction to that is annoying. And I don't quite understand Jensen's reaction to the whole spy movie thing. The guy is trying to protect himself, and his way of doing it isn't entirely useless.

SSNeoman posted:

I pay the guy though. He may be a tool, but his heart is in the right place. 1000 credits is nothing and I'm usually swimming in them by the time I get to that point.
(I'm the weirdo who obsessivly sells every gun I find to shops, even if it takes multiple trips)
I usually pay him as well, but not in Iron Man mode because of the role-playing reasons. I mean, you are on a very dangerous mission where every piece of equipment and/or information matters, so you wouldn't just give money away to a random guy? Although if I was selling every gun, I'd probably pay him anyway, but that's too much for me.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 5: Alice Garden Pods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVv3wlipuj0

This update is quite short, but fun. Flawless sneaky action included.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 6.1: Die Young Medical Lower Tower and the Pangu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxwQJWNjTHE

This one is also short. Nothing special about it, just the usual sneaking.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ah Narhari Kahn. I always make sure to punch him in the face every opportunity I get. Dude is such an rear end in a top hat.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
I usually snipe him from that vent. Works well in Iron Man mode too because there's little risk involved. But this time I chose the ghost bonus instead.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 6.2: Die Young Medical Upper Tower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttAilinkRdA

This one contains one serious gently caress-up. But the good news is that I'm still alive and kicking. Some hilarious sneaky action included too.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 7.1: Montreal Upper Levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPFdkMGWqWs

The usual sneaky action. Plus some unorthodox way to avoid enemies.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 7.2: Montreal Secret Lair, Fedorova Included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeZk4aD6NZk

Another short update. This one has another gently caress-up, although it's not as serious as it seems because I was prepared for that. Fedorova is quite boring, on the other hand.

This is all I have recorded by now. Maybe there will be another Detroit update soon, maybe not.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
You might as well just put out one 90-minute video, rather than five smaller ones in less than a day :) Well OK, I guess it'll be better for anyone watching the LP after it's finished, so maybe not, but for people following along live, it's the same thing.

But it's good to know that in the grimdark cyberfuture, every architect uses the same construction, cladding, and fitting companies, all books are written by or about Hugh Darrow, and the only time anyone emails, it's either to discuss nefarious plots or share secret passwords. Sterling work, society.

I've been wondering. Is there some challenge-related reason why you're constantly in energy starvation? Or are there just no energy consumables like the bio-cells from earlier games?

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Ghostwoods posted:

You might as well just put out one 90-minute video, rather than five smaller ones in less than a day :) Well OK, I guess it'll be better for anyone watching the LP after it's finished, so maybe not, but for people following along live, it's the same thing.

I try to keep video length below 30 minutes if possible, and I also try to separate missions. I'd say it's the other way around: for people watching videos in sequence, it doesn't really matter whether it's a big video or smaller ones combined into a playlist. But for people that don't have much free time it's easier to watch one video now, another one later, rather than trying to remember where they were or to refrain from watching because they only have 20 minutes now, but the next video is almost an hour long.

And besides, I never know in advance how many updates I'm about to produce during a weekend, and I can't estimate time until I edit them. Plus, it's easier for me to edit smaller videos.

Ghostwoods posted:

But it's good to know that in the grimdark cyberfuture, every architect uses the same construction, cladding, and fitting companies, all books are written by or about Hugh Darrow, and the only time anyone emails, it's either to discuss nefarious plots or share secret passwords. Sterling work, society.
Er, not exactly. There are a lot of different emails, I'm just skipping most of them because I don't explore much. I remember e-mails written to friends, colleagues, SPAM, broadcasts from bosses and so on. As far as emails go, this game is fine. Pocket secretaries with top secret codes lying around is another thing, though.

Ghostwoods posted:

I've been wondering. Is there some challenge-related reason why you're constantly in energy starvation? Or are there just no energy consumables like the bio-cells from earlier games?
Because the energy management is pretty much hosed up! Energy cells recharge by themselves, but on the highest difficulty (and in the original version) only the last cell always do. Others recharge only if not spent fully. In order to recharge more, I have to eat a candy bar (a consumable that restores one cell), which I sometimes do. But because of the free recharge, candy bars are pretty rare. I currently have about 15 of them and I was spending them sparingly (sometimes too sparingly as you can obviously see).

So the problem is, if I have one cell and take someone down, this cell recharges. But if I had two cells to begin with, I'll end up with only one because take-down uses one full cell. They could easily fix that in the Director's Cut version by making take-down use 99% of a cell, so it would not be considered fully depleted and therefore recharge, unless you spent some energy on something different, like cloak. But instead of making it that simple, they "fixed" it by making two cells recharge for free! Since the game was designed for one recharging cell, this breaks the game completely, allowing for infinite free cloaked take-downs and other such things. That's why I have to play on the highest difficulty, where it was left unchanged.

Beside candy bars, there are energy packs and energy jars that restore more. But they occupy more inventory space and are useless because I have only two cells and one is being recharged for free. There are augs that give up to five cells in total, which would make those consumables useful, but only the last cell would recharge anyway, so there's not much difference between having five cells or having two and eating candy bars on the run. Except that you can forget to do that, like I did in the last update. Anyway, because the game punishes me for having more than one energy cell charged, I usually don't get more cells. And there are more useful things to spend Praxis on.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Yeah, I did notice a few Nigerian scam emails and some "all staff" bits and pieces. (I'm watching the sped-up sections at quarter speed, because I'm (a) still interested and (b) insane).

Alqualos posted:

Because the energy management is pretty much hosed up! [snip]

Huh. Interesting. I guess I can see where the design team were going on that, but at the same time it feels a little self-defeating.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alqualos posted:

And I don't quite understand Jensen's reaction to the whole spy movie thing. The guy is trying to protect himself, and his way of doing it isn't entirely useless.

There's a lotnof reasons for Jensen's dismissive attitude:
1) you'll note that the security question didn't actually do its job. Anon X even mentioned that Jensen was supposed to be a girl, but since he knew the password he must have been ok. If it was someone from Belltower, dude woulda been hosed.
And note that he gives you the info regardless whether you play along. So je just does this to pretend to be a cool spy.
2) this technique only works when the password is used as part of a conversation. So you should have something like
"Man it is hot outside. The weather is scorching."
"Yes, but it's not as sticky as two summers ago."
It should sounds more natural, and any awkward phrases should be interpretable as a dialect quirk of the speaker. Which brings us to...
3) don't use phrases, quotes or proverbs. If someone else could have seen or heard it, then the chances of them being able to guess the password increases. Anon X took the worst of both worlds by using a Chinese proverb, cause he's a dork.
4) it's 2027. Spies stopped doing this since the 1950s and for good reason. If you want to drop off information discreetly, use dead drops. Which is an idea even petty criminals use. With the advent of wireless communication, this type of password check os basically obsolete.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Ghostwoods posted:

(I'm watching the sped-up sections at quarter speed, because I'm (a) still interested and (b) insane).
Should be third speed if that's an option, because I speed up three times. But I'd just pause on interesting moments instead.

SSNeoman posted:

There's a lotnof reasons for Jensen's dismissive attitude:
1) you'll note that the security question didn't actually do its job. Anon X even mentioned that Jensen was supposed to be a girl, but since he knew the password he must have been ok. If it was someone from Belltower, dude woulda been hosed.
And note that he gives you the info regardless whether you play along. So je just does this to pretend to be a cool spy.
But Jensen picks up that attitude even before this all happens. I can agree with the rest of your reasons, though. And I had no idea this was a Chinese proverb.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Alqualos posted:

But Jensen picks up that attitude even before this all happens. I can agree with the rest of your reasons, though. And I had no idea this was a Chinese proverb.

Jensen has simply had it with all of the legitimate cloak and dagger bullshit he's dealing with, so a couple of people playing at being spies is just so drat ridiculous he can't even. He likes Malek, and she's really earnest about the whole thing so he wants to help her out so he tones it down with her, but the moron at Limb is a giant douche in a channer hat and he just lets him have it.

Speaking of Malek, you better have found a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 8.1: Back To Detroit (Taggart and Sandoval)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlrL-gRPCTI

This one is mostly run-around and two dialogue challenges. But some sneaking and shooting included too. I have the whole Detroit recorded by now, so there will be one more update during this week once I'm done editing it. And then back to Hengsha on the next weekend! Speaking of which, I'm on vacation starting on November the 2nd, so if you don't mind, I can start posting multiple updates each day. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea. What do you think?

• Locked thread