Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

RickVoid posted:

Speaking of Malek, you better have found a way.
Who do you think I am? My drill will pierce the heavens! But seriously, do you really think they'll just let me go if I let them kill her? Might as well just kill'em all. This is Iron Man, so no 100% guarantee, though, but I can give you 99%. Oh, and she's Malik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Alqualos posted:

Speaking of which, I'm on vacation starting on November the 2nd, so if you don't mind, I can start posting multiple updates each day. But I'm not sure if that's a good idea. What do you think?

If you can do it without burning out, go hog wild!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

Speaking of Malek, you better have found a way.
Yeah now that's a bit I'm looking forward to. I don't think I ever managed to pull it off on the first try; then again I tend to forget where all these fuckers lurk.

Malik is great. This game's characterization is pretty minimal so I'm not sure what makes her so likeable but she's the one character I never could act as a douche to.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Is there a benefit to talking Sandoval out of suicide or is it just the moral thing to do (which nets you extra experience)?

It's been very long since I played through this game but I can't remember me finding the bunker and Sandoval. Setting off that Praxis trap I vaguely can remember though :v:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Malik is great. This game's characterization is pretty minimal so I'm not sure what makes her so likeable but she's the one character I never could act as a douche to.

She's the only character who doesn't act like a douche to you at any point. Normally that'd be a pretty low bar but the cyberfuture is not a friendly place for old cops.

(On the kind of a plot hole side, Picus is owned wholly by Darrow and the world knows that so it's a wonder that Sarif never asks him why Picus has such a boner for loving them over.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SIGSEGV posted:

(On the kind of a plot hole side, Picus is owned wholly by Darrow and the world knows that so it's a wonder that Sarif never asks him why Picus has such a boner for loving them over.)
Picus is run by Everett and Sarif is is at least aware of the Illuminati. You don't ask questions about the Illuminati.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Then he should know not to trust Darrow.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Trogdos! posted:

Is there a benefit to talking Sandoval out of suicide or is it just the moral thing to do (which nets you extra experience)?
I have no idea. On my first playthroughs I never even got a chance to talk him out because of some bug that triggered a different cutscene, where he attacks me instead of trying to kill himself. It's supposed to happen if you don't talk to Taggart, but happens sometimes if you do. It's unclear what triggers that bug, but it seems to be timing, so that's why I ran like mad to Taggart and then to Sandoval, even though I usually do side quests first.

Once I realized it's a bug and found a way to talk to Sandoval, I never failed to talk him out. There is certainly no benefit in talking him out except for XP, but there could be something you lose if he kills himself. But I doubt.

SIGSEGV posted:

Then he should know not to trust Darrow.
I don't think anyone knows that Darrow actually works for the Illuminati, Sarif included. Darrow was once the leading augmentation scientist and entrepreneur, then he sold off everything and founded Panchaea later.

The only thing that is suspicious is that Picus News is being rather positive about Darrow and negative about augmentations. But it could be easily attributed to the fact that Darrow is no longer in augmentation business.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I thought he at least still had Darrow Industries on account of him profiting from global warming still being a point brought up by the crazy radio host with Darrow benefiting if Panchaea works or fails, that's why I think he still has at least stock in Picus, thus making him suspect anyhow.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Alqualos posted:

Who do you think I am? My drill will pierce the heavens! But seriously, do you really think they'll just let me go if I let them kill her? Might as well just kill'em all. This is Iron Man, so no 100% guarantee, though, but I can give you 99%. Oh, and she's Malik.

This is the best reply I could have hoped for. Awesome.

I had no idea you could talk Sandoval down, he always just attacked me so it was kill him or knock him out and... yeah, he dies.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

RickVoid posted:

This is the best reply I could have hoped for. Awesome.

Honestly, most of that whole section isn't too difficult as long as you know it's coming. A couple of gas grenades and an EMP grenade will solve almost all of your problems in about five seconds, and if you're not going for pacifist you can deal with the rest (plus, Jensen is usually dealing with guards, or attacks against him solo, so pacifism is the moral right call; these people are trying to blow up an innocent woman, they deserve what they get). I'd expect that it's actually not that difficult a section to Iron Man even, since most enemies are focused on the Bee.

OP, is there a reason why you don't do any quick inventory management to pick up and use bigger cyberboost packs when you find them? Sure, they're not as efficient as single bars (although personally I like the double-packs for mid-cloak refills), your reasons for not carrying them are sound, but there's only a very brief downside to scarfing them down, and then it means you don't have to wait around next time it would need to recharge.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Downing an entire jar of protein powder is gross.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

RickVoid posted:

I had no idea you could talk Sandoval down, he always just attacked me so it was kill him or knock him out and... yeah, he dies.
That's exactly the bug I was talking about. I usually cloak-and-stun-gun him in such cases. But he's only supposed to attack you if you hacked into Taggart's computer, not if you convince Taggart. I had no idea too until I read the wiki, and even then it took me some time to figure out how to avoid this bug.

WFGuy posted:

OP, is there a reason why you don't do any quick inventory management to pick up and use bigger cyberboost packs when you find them?
The main reason is that most of the time I'll just spend that extra cell on the next take-down or punch-trough-wall. I pick them up when I know I'll need both cells soon enough, like I did in Montreal. And what did you mean by the quick inventory management? I'm not going to spend a precious belt slot on that packs if you meant that.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Alqualos posted:

The main reason is that most of the time I'll just spend that extra cell on the next take-down or punch-trough-wall. I pick them up when I know I'll need both cells soon enough, like I did in Montreal. And what did you mean by the quick inventory management? I'm not going to spend a precious belt slot on that packs if you meant that.

I meant the 'open inventory, drop a weapon, pick up item, use item, pick up weapon'. Maybe it's just because I'm an obsessive hoarder that it only seems to take a few seconds to do. No, there's not much need to get more inventory space boosts unless you like picking up guns to sell to get money to buy more Praxis (rinse, repeat).

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is there a max level in this game? Can you get every Aug and enough praxis kits to max them out?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
This looks pretty fun, despite a few shortcomings, Human Revolution is an excellent game. It's a shame your videos aren't in widescreen, kinda feels like watching the VHS version of that one movie you really enjoyed in theaters.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Aces High posted:

Is there a max level in this game? Can you get every Aug and enough praxis kits to max them out?

I'm not sure it's possible to do so in one playthrough without being very anal about experience all the time but there's a NG+ option which is pretty nice. (Also the first time you go to a limb clinic Sarif is all sad you didn't buy any praxis kits even though you're completely twinked out.)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I don't go in for shipping stuff.

That said, here's my favorite DX:HR fanart:
http://doubleleaf.deviantart.com/art/Commission-Cereal-Time-286325790

:3:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aces High posted:

You can but you need a VERY EXACT route of augs and you need to hack everything, takedown everyone, explore everything, read everything and so on. It is honestly a chore and super unnecessary, you get enough Praxis points just doing the story. With side quests, and whatever extra exp you can scrape up you can easily get all the powers you need.

Case in point, I'm pretty sure the OP has everything he needs to clear the game. The rest of the powers are a nice bonus: something to help with inventory management, seeing through walls and make hacking easier. I don't think he needs anything else like batteries or aim stabilizer.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

The Casualty posted:

This looks pretty fun, despite a few shortcomings, Human Revolution is an excellent game. It's a shame your videos aren't in widescreen, kinda feels like watching the VHS version of that one movie you really enjoyed in theaters.
I was actually thinking about buying a second display just for that, but it seems to be pretty late for that now.

If it wasn't written down there, I'd never guessed it's Malik. Adam doesn't look himself too, but at least he's recognizable. That being said, excellent Fanart anyway.

SSNeoman posted:

You can but you need a VERY EXACT route of augs and you need to hack everything, takedown everyone, explore everything, read everything and so on.
In the DC, you get this way even more than you can handle. There's a limit on how many Praxis you can have by the end of Missing Link, and if you get everything, you'll exceed it even before Missing Link. And I'm not exactly sure whether you can get every Praxis by Panchaea, this limit considered. It's 62 Praxis, IIRC.

Moreover, there are in fact augs that make life harder, not easier. At least one: cones of vision. They just clutter the radar. And there are plenty of totally useless augs, like Hacking Analyze or Cooldown Timer.

SSNeoman posted:

Case in point, I'm pretty sure the OP has everything he needs to clear the game. The rest of the powers are a nice bonus: something to help with inventory management, seeing through walls and make hacking easier. I don't think he needs anything else like batteries or aim stabilizer.
Right, I'm planning to get Hacking Stealth and longer sprint. Oh, and full inventory. I'm kind of low on Praxis right now, meaning that I usually get these even before Detroit part 2. I usually had Hacking Stealth, the longest sprint by the time I get here, and see-through-walls in Montreal. And I'm kind of low on cash, which makes me think whether I should buy those two Praxis in Hengsha or just save the cash for Missing Link.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 8.2: Back to Detroit (Radford and White)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq7ZAlrkDYA

This turned out to be slightly longer than usual, but this time there was no point in breaking it up. It is mostly talks and usual run-around, with some shooting and sneaking included.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hah, I never knew you could convince Radford to live. That's pretty cool.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 9.1: Back to Hengsha (Malik and Tong Sr.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry7NU--Da5w

This is a nice balanced update, with some serious shooting action, run-around, talks, sneaking and one gently caress-up.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm interested in how you're gonna do the Zelazny quest. I felt that one was the weakest in the game by far. But I've seen that I missed several other routes in other quests, so maybe the same story is here too.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

SSNeoman posted:

I'm interested in how you're gonna do the Zelazny quest. I felt that one was the weakest in the game by far. But I've seen that I missed several other routes in other quests, so maybe the same story is here too.
I'm afraid I'm going to disappoint you. The update is coming up within a few hours or even less, but don't expect much of that particular quest. It is indeed weak. Just kill them, knock them out or let them go. That's it. About the only fun part of it for this LP is that "Zelazny" means "made of iron", which makes him another Iron Man.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 9.2: Back to Hengsha (Terrorists, Zelazny and Tong Jr.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bflA8LKko

This is another well-balanced update. No crazy shooting this time, though. All perfect stealth. Well, not so perfect sometimes, but still. And some usual talks and run-around typical for every city update.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Hah, I never knew you could convince Radford to live. That's pretty cool.

Hope he comes back in the sequel.

"You know what the difference is between you and me? I asked... FOR THIS!" *arm cannon*

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Speedball posted:

Hope he comes back in the sequel.
Pretty unlikely. I've read somewhere that they decided to make the sequel as independent from the player's actions and decisions as possible. Which means, no Radford, no Malik, no Zelazny, and no clear mention of what ending the player chose because the truth somehow came out anyway. About the only thing they couldn't get away with is that Jensen obviously didn't choose to die in Panchaea, given that he's still the protagonist.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 10: Belltower Port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4BGHBB9rQA

This turned out to be pretty boring, mainly because of me running around like a moron and being extra careful because the way I chose for this mission is not exactly predictable. The good news is that it's relatively short. And then, on to Missing Link!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ah well. I do like that Zelazny calls you out on using your CASIE. I think only he and Malik do, but it's a nice change from duping everyone else.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Not only Zelazny and Malik, but also Братан. There's even an achievement for that.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 11: Hei Zhen Zhu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5BqNR5lps

This one is a must-watch. And that's all I'm going to say.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 12.1: RBS loading bays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZFoTVbVCkk

This one is a must-watch too, albeit for a different reason. Some sneaky action included, although it's not so perfect at the beginning, and one absolutely hilarious moment towards the end. Plus some plot talks.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Did you know you can zap the source of any of the security lasers with the stun gun and cause it to fry out? Same thing with the cameras.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
I knew about EMP grenades, but never thought to extend it to the stun gun. Is it temporary? And I suppose it doesn't trigger the alarm, does it?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Alqualos posted:

Part 11: Hei Zhen Zhu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t5BqNR5lps

This one is a must-watch. And that's all I'm going to say.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Alqualos posted:

I knew about EMP grenades, but never thought to extend it to the stun gun. Is it temporary? And I suppose it doesn't trigger the alarm, does it?

Shooting the cameras might trigger the alarm, I forget. But laser hubs hit with stun rounds go out, stay out. No alarms.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jensen's bloodied look was so unnerving. I was worried some of his machine parts were ripping into or out of his flesh parts.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I was close to yelling "EAT THE CANDY BAR! EAT THE CANDY BAR!" at my screen during the typhoon laser bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Alqualos posted:

The stun gun temporarily disables any and all robots, turrets, cameras, and other security systems without triggering alarms. It's super useful.

• Locked thread