Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

SSNeoman posted:

I was close to yelling "EAT THE CANDY BAR! EAT THE CANDY BAR!" at my screen during the typhoon laser bit.
But really it wasn't necessary. I shouldn't even have turned on the cloak back then. Should have saved it just in case I realize I'm trapped. Although these typhoon turrets are a real bitch. They insta-kill even with 200 HP. Not sure if armor helps, but I didn't have any. I wonder if the turrets will be disabled later because I don't want to deal with them on the way back. It kind of breaks some of my plans for that moment. Although by that time I will probably able to destroy them with frag grenades or something. I'm starting to regret I don't have an upgraded revolver with me. Or maybe I should have dropped off that rocket launcher somewhere close. Oh well, I'm sure I'll think of something.

Where I should have eaten a candy bar is during that gently caress-up at Hei Zhen Zhu. Or used the stun gun instead of the pistol. The shotgun isn't something you really want to gently caress around with at close distances. As far as I can tell from the video, the guy shot me only once, and my HP dropped from 200 to 67. One more shot and I would have been done for.

So, to sum it up, the stun gun temporarily disables bots, cameras and turrets (not very useful in my playing style), and permanently disables lasers (could be useful, but I usually know some other way to deal with them), no alarms triggered in any of these cases, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 12.2: RBS Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it9fwMwkyGM

This one is definitely weaker than the previous ones, but I guess that could be said about any other update. Sneaking and talking included.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 12.3: RBS Detention and Interrogation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-YrTqepsQ

This is the usual ninja action, plus some talks and plot.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The HZZ and RBS are amazing but there's this one thing I really hate about them. Those biometric scanner things that take thirty minutes to do their thing.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
There is only one scanner on HZZ and you can only pass it once, so no big deal there. In RBS, yes, a different story. But if you ask me, the most annoying thing is those voices repeating over and over the same things. "Rifleman Bank Station Control confirmed", "Entering restricted areas will result in termination and prosecution", "I'm not a terrorist! You are the terrorists!" and so on.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I don't mind the PA or ship AI pilot but the prisoners still doing it after the guards have been punched to sleep, yeah.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, those rooms and the backtracking needed are two flaws of that DLC. It's a shame, really, because it's very good otherwise and this could be circumvented by just a bit more map layout planning.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
It's a matter of personal preference. The lack of backtracking in modern games saddens me deeply, so I'm actually glad to see that. Although I mean not exactly backtracking, but exploration aspect. That is, if you have a set of points, say, A, B, C and D, and in an abstract modern game you navigate from A to B then to D with optional C in between B and D, that's the worst thing for me. If you go from A to B, then to C, then back to B and then to D, that's better. But the best is when you can go from A to either B or C, then to D, then back to A via a different route, skipping both B and C altogether, and then once you've visited the remaining point (if any), you roam around freely between them, discovering many other interesting points in the process, so it no longer feels like you're running from point to point. I really miss those maze-like levels from the 90s, and that's why I especially like Deus Ex cities, although they are way to small for my taste.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Jesus, this LP is progressing fast.

And yeah, I like backtracking in an explorative sense. Games where you get new abilities or whatnot that let you expand on existing areas. The better Metroid or Castlevania games, the Resident Evil remake, all good examples of it.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Speedball posted:

Jesus, this LP is progressing fast.
Ha-ha. I warned you that I'm on vacation since yesterday, and nobody minded fast pacing. It'll be complete very soon. One way or another. In the meantime...

Part 12.4: RBS Action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShefXebgP20

This is another of all-in-one updates. Ninja action, open shootouts, sneaking, plot and more.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I would love an explanation for Quinn's circle-thing on his face. Some kind of cybernetic...something... but it's really distracting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind backtracking when it serves to build a sense of a cohesive area; not when it forces you to double back through the level you literally just cleared out. The "get eye to Quinn" goal is just that. This game is generally good about not going too much overboard with it while giving you plenty of opportunity to explore, just... not this time.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

Speedball posted:

I would love an explanation for Quinn's circle-thing on his face. Some kind of cybernetic...something... but it's really distracting.
Looks like a scar from an augmentation surgery to me. I don't think there's an official explanation.

anilEhilated posted:

I don't mind backtracking when it serves to build a sense of a cohesive area; not when it forces you to double back through the level you literally just cleared out. The "get eye to Quinn" goal is just that.
On that particular moment I agree. Although the fact that there are new guards out there can be rather surprising and makes the backtracking isn't that trivial. And it's not like it's a very long trip. Still, you can at least get the eye beforehand, so it would also be nice to be able to get it modified beforehand too. Like, "Oh, Quinn, I found this in Burke's office. Can you make anything useful of it?"

But if you ask me, all these maps are too linear anyway for my taste. Take RBS, for example. Bay 2, bay 1, admin, detention, interrogation, back to detention, admin, detention, interrogation, restricted wing, interrogation, detention, admin, bay 1, bay 2, bay 3, bay 2—in that exact order! Oh well, the bay 2 is connected to the admin directly which can be used to skip the bay 1 on the way back and/or visit the admin before even going to the bay 1. But that's about it. When I look at your avatar, I always remember the original Shadow Warrior and how linear is the remake as compared to it, even when Lo Wang complains about "old school poo poo".

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think I actually talked about that a bit when I LP'd that game and as such it's a topic I tried to get to the bottom of. In the end, I figure, open-ended shooter levels are out now because they tend to get in the way of either storytelling or difficulty curve. With Shadow Warrior, while there's still some non-linear levels in the remake (or at least parts of them, in a choose-your-next-key way), it's hard to do anything as open-ended since players don't really have the patience to wander all around the area to find that one key that unravels it whole thing (allowing you to get the next key and so on and so on). It also relies on having its fights designed quite well to go in sequence. In most cases anyway.

There's also the issue of actually rewarding exploration which in itself requires a game to have a more complex system - just rare ammo won't do it and in the original Shadow Warrior it was a design quirk: if I remember correctly, they didn't really know the order of the levels until late in the development so you can find all guns on every map, hence all the secrets.

HR is actually pretty good about this at least in the beginning, with stuff like how many ways you can approach Derelict Row. As it progresses it sadly gets more linear and/or uninteresting: the worst culprit of that is, in my opinion, the area following the DLC - sure, your build is finished by then, but there's no reason not to stuff the place full of interesting lore bits to give you some motivation to not just blaze through it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 3, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Btw OP, I meant to ask but why don't you hack the alarm panels? It's not necessary seeing as you don't get caught, but hey, exp is exp.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

SSNeoman posted:

Btw OP, I meant to ask but why don't you hack the alarm panels? It's not necessary seeing as you don't get caught, but hey, exp is exp.
And you wouldn't mind watching endless hacking? But to tell the truth, I always forget they're hackable. And besides, for this LP I tend to reduce hacking and exploration to minimum because otherwise it'd be endless. Maybe some of you don't mind, but I'd get tired even before I got to the mid-game.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I think I actually talked about that a bit when I LP'd that game and as such it's a topic I tried to get to the bottom of. In the end, I figure, open-ended shooter levels are out now because they tend to get in the way of either storytelling or difficulty curve.
Not really. Take Thief series for example (I'm talking first three games here). Excellent story, even some scripted events during the missions, but still absolutely non-linear and free to roam. No, I think the true reason is that linear levels is much easier to design, which means cheaper, which means more revenue.

anilEhilated posted:

With Shadow Warrior, while there's still some non-linear levels in the remake (or at least parts of them, in a choose-your-next-key way), it's hard to do anything as open-ended since players don't really have the patience to wander all around the area to find that one key that unravels it whole thing (allowing you to get the next key and so on and so on).
Some levels, yes, especially the graveyard and the first level of the shipyard. Under close inspection, both are pretty linear as well, but you'll have to explore a bit to figure it out. By modern standards, it's quite good, as is the whole game. But I like HR design much more.

anilEhilated posted:

It also relies on having its fights designed quite well to go in sequence. In most cases anyway.
The fights can happen in any sequence, really. It doesn't matter. And the players... there are many kinds of players. Old school game were very popular despite the mazes, which means there are players out there who enjoy it. Nobody asks for Descent-like 3D mazes (although I wouldn't mind even that), but Half-Life style endless styled windy hallway is another extreme. Especially for games like Thief 4.

anilEhilated posted:

There's also the issue of actually rewarding exploration which in itself requires a game to have a more complex system - just rare ammo won't do it and in the original Shadow Warrior it was a design quirk: if I remember correctly, they didn't really know the order of the levels until late in the development so you can find all guns on every map, hence all the secrets.
Not all guns, just most basic ones. It'll be a while before you can find a Rail Gun even if you find all the secrets. And the secrets themselves were awesome, not like that karma/money crap. I believe there was only one secret with a Ki crystal.

anilEhilated posted:

HR is actually pretty good about this at least in the beginning, with stuff like how many ways you can approach Derelict Row. As it progresses it sadly gets more linear and/or uninteresting: the worst culprit of that is, in my opinion, the area following the DLC - sure, your build is finished by then, but there's no reason not to stuff the place full of interesting lore bits to give you some motivation to not just blaze through it.
Derelict Row is a city mission, and cities are great overall. But separate missions are all linear, starting with the first one. The good thing is there are alternative routes between checkpoints, which kind of makes up for the linearity.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I agree with most of those so I'm just going to correct one nitpick about the original Shadow Warrior: the reason you can't find the railgun in the early levels is that it was exclusive to the retail version as opposed to the shareware demo (which IIRC had the first seven maps). Duke 3D did the same thing with the shrinker, freezer and devastator. Hell, Doom did it with plasma and BFG.

Another point I'd content is the fights in remake being playable in any order - sure, that works, but most of them actually escalate through the level. It's not just that you get a big setpiece battle at the end, but they tend to become gradually harder and again more complicated enemy combinations.
One exception being chapter 13 but, well, gently caress chapter 13.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Oh, well. Fights were always something like ambiance for me, so it's no wonder I haven't noticed that. As far as weapons go... ditto. I don't care much about weapon progression, as soon as the game keeps balance, which most first-person games do.

And I was perfectly OK with Chapter 13. Thus ends this derailing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You're not playing Director's Cut, I see. Jensen only regenerates one energy bar, not two.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
I'm playing Director's Cut on the highest difficulty where energy management is the same as in the original. That's exactly the reason why I'm playing on the highest difficulty. I have already explained it somewhere in this thread.

Part 13: Singapore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMJ78pNyaNE

This one is kind of boring, I guess, as compared to Missing Link. But it still contains a couple of exciting moments. It's mostly sneaking and some talking.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oops, sorry, guess I missed that.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Part 14 (final): Panchaea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vt84aeunKk

It's finally done! During earlier upgrades, a couple of times I was quite close to dying, but I still made it through the whole game.

This last update is pretty boring, but that's Panchaea. Fending off numerous enemies who can't jump over obstacles, can't shoot and are completely retarded is not exactly what is needed to make a fun mission. And the fourth boss is the silliest ever.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I forgot how utterly colorless and white Meagan Reed's room was. It's like Namine's room from Kingdom Hearts. Weird.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like the Hyron fight style-wise, the whole concept is pretty cool. Just wish it wasn't quite so easy to cheese it.

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
The concept is OK. Looks nice too. But even if I didn't use the laser rifle and not entered the code it would be just a matter of destroying turrets and bots and killing crazy guards, neither of which is anywhere hard and/or fun.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Nice LP, Alqualos! Masterful sneaking. This LP really reminded me how horrifying the game's plot is. Turning kidnapped people into human CPUs, with like 99% failure rate? drat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Trogdos! posted:

Nice LP, Alqualos! Masterful sneaking. This LP really reminded me how horrifying the game's plot is. Turning kidnapped people into human CPUs, with like 99% failure rate? drat.

Why only women? Something about brain hormones?

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
Because Burke is sexist?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Alqualos posted:

Because Burke is sexist?

Entirely possible!

Panchaea as a massive counter to global warming is an interesting idea. I'm not sure how well it would work, but... yeah.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
So, what's the reason behind disabling the reticle?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Why didn't you use the PEPS? It's nonlethal and blasts whole crowds.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

Entirely possible!

Panchaea as a massive counter to global warming is an interesting idea. I'm not sure how well it would work, but... yeah.
Was it ever mentioned how it was supposed to work?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

It's also finicky as hell because it has a weird damage formula that mostly depends on distance. Not something I'd feel comfortable using in an Iron Man run; not to mention it's loud which removes most of the appeal of nonlethal weaponry.
Basically stunning a whole crowd for a couple seconds won't do much more than give you time to switch to something better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

I think it was supposed to be a massive heat sink for the entire ocean. Once it kicked into action the whole sea around it would start to freeze.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Speedball posted:

I think it was supposed to be a massive heat sink for the entire ocean. Once it kicked into action the whole sea around it would start to freeze.

That plus carbon sequestration--you could pull out CO2 from the air, and dump it below the ocean floor. But mostly it was "iron seeding" and handwavy near-futuretech--assuming it wasn't a scam from the start.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

16:25 -- "This is fuckin' boring."

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

SovietPotatoe posted:

So, what's the reason behind disabling the reticle?
Someone complained about it in Sandcastle, so I decided to switch it on only when necessary.

Speedball posted:

It's too unreliable and occupies a lot of space. Useful in Panchaea, though, but the stun gun and tranq rile work just as well. And besides, it's Iron Man, not Pacifist. I used the Pepsi in my Pacifist run, but even then it wasn't particularly useful. Now if I wanted to try some new non-lethal weaponry, I'd rather go with gas mines.

In fact, one weapon that could be very useful in an Iron Man run which I didn't use is the revolver. It's kind of poor man's rocket launcher! Noisy, but still very useful when you need to fend off some turrets and/or small bots. Could have used against those Typhoon turrets, for example, but I'm not sure that the guards in the loading bays wouldn't hear me. And those turrets in the detention aren't really in the way because they only have two beams each.

Another useful weapon could be the shotgun for blind fire from cover. I usually used the stun gun in such cases, but it takes a while to reload if you miss, and that could be bad. So this time I simply decided to avoid that tactics (except for the MCB hideout), but sometimes you end up in such situation involuntarily. But then again, it's too noisy and takes too much space.

When it comes to weapons, Deus Ex: HR is very similar to the original. I mean, heavy weaponry takes too much space, there is too little ammo for automatic weaponry (you kill a guy with an assault rifle before he even makes a single shot only to find out 3 ammo in his clip, really?), and the game is mostly tuned for pistols. One good step forward is new non-lethal and/or silent weaponry, though. It always frustrated me how the stealth pistol couldn't kill a lone guard in a single headshot at point-blank range.

Sylphosaurus posted:

"...and it's time that we as a species step up to make things better. Our best chance at doing it is to modify ocean temperatures through combination of iron seeding and geo-thermal managment."

Did I mention how annoying those repetitive voices are? Well, Picus News is one of them.

But my favorite line about Panchaea is, of course, "You mean—if it doesn't kill us all."

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Great run, Alqualos. A triumph of preparation over brute force - I was wondering for a long time if you'd really need that many non-lethal options for Panchaea, but I guess I forgot quite how many not-zombies it throws at you. They must've blurred together in my memories.

Are you going to take a break from DX:HR after this playthrough? I figure you must've played it quiiiite a few times at this point, judging by the competency and by how many little details you used that I still had no idea about.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Also, the launch confirm codes are a homage to Captain Kirk's self-destruct codes, His is 0-0-0-Destruct-0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder

WFGuy posted:

Are you going to take a break from DX:HR after this playthrough? I figure you must've played it quiiiite a few times at this point, judging by the competency and by how many little details you used that I still had no idea about.
Of course I'm going to take a break. Although maybe I'll give it another go lately, trying to get full XP this time, but that won't be an LP because it would be too boring to watch and because there is some full XP video guide somewhere around.

Iron Man run took me a while indeed. First was a practice run when I figured out the best ways to do every difficult moment. Then I tried to Iron Man it a few times. Let me think... I'm not sure about the order and if I haven't missed something, but I had at least this many failures:

• Blew up a mine in O'Malley's apartment trying to disarm it. By that time I haven't figured out yet how useful painkillers and stims are.
  • Mistook the direction in Sarif's Plant and they killed me in the first lab when I was trying to hide.
  • I'm not sure about this one, but I have a feeling I got killed once by the punks in the sewers leading to the Derelict Row.
  • Got discovered in the ground section of Highland Park, hid inside the scaffolding and was shot at point-blank range with a shotgun. Again, no stims or painkillers.
  • Tried to explore around in Montreal, got discovered by a guy just before I took him down. Looked around carefully, didn't see anyone. Thought it was safe and got immediately killed by someone. That's how I figured it out that the radar doesn't show invisible enemies.
  • Got killed by a couple of guards on the deck of Hei Zhen Zhu. They are too close to each other, so I thought maybe I can take one down and shot the other one with the stun gun, but I missed. Later I realized that there was no reason to even go there and that even if I succeeded I'd lost a ghost bonus.
  • Got killed in the loading bay 1 after throwing a gas grenade inside the security booth while some other guards were still around. That's when I figured out that even the guards turned hostile are taken care of almost immediately, they somehow alert the other guards in the area.

Now that I look at it, I regret that I haven't kept the recordings of all that. Would make a nice bonus addition to this LP. Not the whole recordings, of course, just the gently caress-up parts.

After these many failures I figured out I need another practice run. I didn't want to play through the whole game again (which I did at every failure above), so I just decided to continue from the loading bay 1 failure. Perfected RBS, then quickly figured out Singapore and Panchaea, then stopped playing for a while to let the brain "process" all this stuff. The next attempt was a successful one. Even better than this one because I ghosted perfectly through Hei Zhen Zhu. I came up with the gas canister trick for the loading bay 1 later, though, that time I just shot one guy blindly with the stun gun and took down another which worked perfectly too, but was more risky. On the other hand, I got discovered almost immediately when things got hot (I forgot that there is a guard above that looks your way as you exit the detention after dealing with the gas). Took me a lot of run-and-hide to get through the admin section. But other than that, it was almost a perfect run. And only after a while I decided to do this LP.

MA-Horus posted:

Also, the launch confirm codes are a homage to Captain Kirk's self-destruct codes, His is 0-0-0-Destruct-0.
Thanks, I had no idea. It's been so long that I couldn't even remember who Kirk was at first.

• Locked thread