Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Alqualos posted:

When it comes to weapons, Deus Ex: HR is very similar to the original. I mean, heavy weaponry takes too much space, there is too little ammo for automatic weaponry (you kill a guy with an assault rifle before he even makes a single shot only to find out 3 ammo in his clip, really?), and the game is mostly tuned for pistols. One good step forward is new non-lethal and/or silent weaponry, though. It always frustrated me how the stealth pistol couldn't kill a lone guard in a single headshot at point-blank range.

I'd say it's actually a bit worse-the rocket launcher in the original took up a bunch of space, but your inventory was large enough that you could carry it without real issue, and brought real additional capabilities to the table in the form of being a fantastic lockpick.

The enemies lacking ammunition for automatic weaponry, though, is kind of aggravating, because the combat rifle and SMG require quite a lot of fire.

Also annoying is that for the jack-of-all-trades weapon, the combat rifle isn't useful for stealth runs because it loses its one-hit-headshot-kills on helmeted enemies, while the pistol keeps it. The seeking system is kind of neat, though. I've been playing through HR trying to use the loud lethal weapons more, and a lot of them are kind of fun but also make me sad that the pistol, which I kept just for picking off isolated guards, is often a better way to defeat an encounter.

I did learn that the revolver + damage upgrades + exploding rounds kills medium guards in a single headshot, though, and if you use a loud lethal weapon and instantly kill a guard, they become Alarmed but don't go Hostile, which means that the shotgun can be a surprisingly effective "stealth" weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gas mines are also great in the last level. Just toss one out in a choke point, fire a round in the air, and wait for all the lemmings to run into the green smog

Alqualos
Jul 7, 2009

Eye of the Beholder
These lemmings have the tendency to run one-by-one, though, so there's a good chance only one of them will run into the trap. But then again, mines are not exactly my thing, so maybe it's not that much of an issue, I don't know.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Panchaea is the worst level in a pretty good game, but I'll let it off the hook for giving me a decent place to use those 400 heavy rifle bullets I'd been hoarding since Alice Garden Pods.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game's plot is kind of a clusterfuck of different conspirators, none of whom are on the same table as each other.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Willie Tomg posted:

Panchaea is the worst level in a pretty good game, but I'll let it off the hook for giving me a decent place to use those 400 heavy rifle bullets I'd been hoarding since Alice Garden Pods.

That's the way I beat that level because I didn't have any gas grenades and sucked at sneaking :-(

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well considering how things turn out they were all gonna die one way or another :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Willie Tomg posted:

This is bar none the best room to have a laser rifle in. "Let me just point this thing there..."

• Locked thread