Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ChickenHeart posted:

A "This character can only receive X damage from a single attack" trait on bosses/monsters would probably work better.

The more I fight them, the more I come to love the inclusion of elite threats mixed in with hordes; armored enemies and berserkers do a fantastic job of forcing players to be mindful of their positioning, and often demand an immediate response in the thick of combat in order to avoid damage. I want to see Fatshark expand on that concept in the future.

The problem is that in the case of berserkers and plague monks, the "immediate response" is to blast them with a blunderbuss or grudgeraker and kill them outright, or just block and hope someone else takes care of it. Berserkers are really bad about sneaking in through a horde and getting 2-3 hits on you before you can identify it, because you're not hitstunning them period. If they don't change their look at least give them a distinctive audio queue like the Plague Monks. They need to be screaming the entire time like Serious Sam Kamakazes in a pitch or cadence that is discernible from the rest of the huddled mass of Eagles fans that want to titty twist you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

toasterwarrior posted:

Huntsman's active ability makes Kruber reload super fast and makes every projectile he fires a crit. Crits pierce armor, and for some reason each pellet the Blunderbuss counts not only as a crit but also hit as hard as a Handgun shot. Considering that the Blunderbuss fires a lot of pellets and that Kruber also does not suffer from ranged damage distance falloff, this turns his Blunderbuss into a fast-firing spreadshot of extremely powerful bullets, which mulches bosses and everything.

Kruber in general definitely needs some tuning. Huntsman is so obnoxiously good and Knight is complete rubbish with mercenary being somewhere in the middle. I kind of think that the Non-Huntsman Krubers would work better if Mercenary had the charge and Knight had the temp health shout to better play up both's advantages (the former being getting in there and cleaving the poo poo out of everyone and tilting him way more melee offensively, the latter being an immovable brick shithouse)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr E posted:

Which staff should I be using with the second Sienna class? I like the beam and bolt staff but it seems like I'll overheat quickly with the bolt staff.

Beam staff seems anemic and weak. Fireball staff is totally 100% fine for what it does. Bolt staff is also fine, with the caveat that if you get an orange bolt staff with -heat on crit then you've now got a endless death belching hellgun should you stack crit on your other trinkets.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Third World Reggin posted:

Go grab one of the armored training dummies in your base. There are 5 dummies in there and two are armored. Go cling it about and you should be able to find out. It really helps with new weapons.

If a target is armored, it doesn't matter if it is skaven or chaos. Armor is armor.

Except when it comes to ranged weapons. Chaos Warrior armor blocks all ranged fire that's not a headshot or from the Bardain/Kruber's rifle unless you're rocking a strength potion. Even stuff that normally penetrates armor like the longbow and bolt staff get soaked on body shots to a chaos warrior.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Is there a good breakdown somewhere of how to do melee combat for Vermintide? I feel like I’m lacking in that department

From the first game, but still relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs7V_quitpk

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Any axe and the 2h hammers (along with a couple of edge cases like the falchion) are dedicated can openers. All of their attacks (light or otherwise) will punch through armor and do damage regardless of anything else. ALL melee weapons can punch through armor on charged attacks, but do varying amounts of damage based on if the attack is a wide sweep (does lower damage, think Kruber and Sienna's longsword or the elf's dual swords) or more of an overhead crushing attack (does more damage, think elf single sword, Bardain or Kruber's 1h mace w/o shield, and the elf double daggers).

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 7, 2018

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tenzarin posted:

Saltz feels pretty weak to me. What is his good stuff?

Get to bounty hunter, get the repeater pistol, and laugh as you now have a delete button for most things between that and your pistol shot special.

Don't underestimate guys abilities because he doesn't have a Warhammer or an unending bolt staff massacre lined up. The rapier is among the fastest weapons in the game and gets work done on hordes while having an oh poo poo button for someone getting pounced. The hatchet is still quick and will also be a stout can opener. The falchion serves as a middle ground between spammy fast weapon and hardened armor slayer. The ranged weapons are all useful and well rounded (if maybe short on ammo for the brace) and reasonably accurate.

Which hunter is very much a support type guy with his active, but it makes everyone real good while it's up. Bounty hunter gets the previously mentioned delete button and generally crits like crazy. Zealot is.... Ehh, I'm not real familiar with that one, someone else could sound off on it though.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tenzarin posted:

Nah it feels like the dwarf, the elf, and kruber can all handle getting surrounded. Lol at pubs doing any striking or crowd controlling, its all face rolling.

It gets more important at the higher difficulties when you can't just kill everything dead in 2 hits and the huntsman / sienna can't just wildly fire indiscriminately anymore due to friendly fire.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So is stagger level solely linked to character power or is it still also influenced by weapon type as well? Will my falchion shove like a shield and mace given the same power level?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Willie Tomg posted:

Its both and also power thresholds to do things get more stringent on higher difficulty. So: Rapier; lovely base stagger, that gets less lovely with more power level. Think of it like rolling devestating blow in VT1, except you eventually get it just for playing Saltz. Then you go to champion or whatever, and its Dodge City again.

yea i have hype for this game i havent had since my teenly days, and i just straight-up disagree that the variable and divergent enemy types are Bad For Vermintide, but opaque power levels have a lotta room for improvement no two ways about it and berserkers as they presently exist are BS and so on and so on and so on.

birds fly, bees buzz, vermintide is full of jank. we all know this. game is still a drat sight better than 1 was on release, ESPECIALLY regarding the loot.

Yeah, disregarding anything else, I am having fun with the game. I know the broken poo poo like the Huntsman + Shotgun, some of the crit nonsense, the waywatcher in general, and the like are all going to get tuned up in time. Quick Play alone for the loot bonus gives you a reason not to just blindly, dumbly play the same :airquote: easy :airquote: map/exploit over and over again in order to get easy loot like you seen happen in Vermintide 1 and Payday 2.

I'm kind of nervous that less than half of the maps have been playtested, especially with Empire in Flames and War Camp being way out of whack with the others from this and the previous beta. EiF really needs some guaranteed ammo and like 1-2 health kits right before the drop into the estate because that map is super savage right now and War Camp has kind of the opposite problem with it being far too easy.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I assume one will be put up with the new thread shortly.

I've still got my OP draft saved (look at my post history in the thread to find it) and ready to blow out whenever. Barring someone giving me a more clever pun I'm naming it Vermintide 2: Finding Dawri.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Launch day thread is here if some jerk didn't steal my thunder! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851244

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stanley Pain posted:

Are you being wilfully ignorant here? It's literally what he said. There's no mental gymnastics required my man. Let me help you out a bit.

Did you not get to the end of that post or did you just read the first sentence?

quote:

In spite of all of this it’s still a really good-feeling action game for just $30 from a dev who will probably support it really well, so it’s well worth it imo, but you’ve posted that you didn’t like the first one in the past so I’m not so sure 2 is for you.

Regardless, don't bring this drama into the new thread or I will lose my poo poo.

• Locked thread