Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

DeathSandwich posted:

White Lion or a Brettonian Knight.
Or dwarf Slayer

If they do make a White Lion, I would like to see him get some extra mobility as his unique mechanic instead of straight up ranged options. White Lions generally use a two-handed axe, spear, or poleaxe if my memory serves, so perhaps:
-Make his number 1 slot his close-range melee stance complete with the standard normal and strong attacks you see today.
-Make number 2 slot his high mobility/specialty stance complete with a leap/pounce. It would create a sort of risk and reward game play we see with the Bright Wizard. He could also open fun vertical movement options by doing this.
"Blocking" in the specialty stance could have you raise your polearm as you would with a pike wall. You can't push, but every time someone tries to hit you, they get skewered.
Or maybe he could throw his spear type weapon and leap to retrieve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

If you are just stepping into Hard difficulty, try the Waterfront mission. It's pretty easy, short, has a variety of mechanics to practice, and its rat ogre spawn point is in a wide-open area. There's also not a lot of obstacles breaking line of sight, so you can snipe specials pretty easily to carry bad players.

It's even doable solo with bots. It's how I introduced my buds to Hard. First time completion.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Musluk posted:

Found the elf.

If you think "special sniper" when you think of the Elf, you might be that Elf.

Go try something that goes boom and tell me who the special snipers are.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

So, playing in Nightmare. A hooker grabs one of your friends. There are dozens of rats between you and your swiftly dying teammate. You've got no shot. If the hook rat gets away, he's sure to do it again. What do you do?

Shoot the hostage:commissar:

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

It is the elf, isn't it?

Yes

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Yeah I think on paper the Bow and x-box come out pretty even with handguns over time, but functionally, you are using your ranged weapon to pick off key targets then switching back to melee. In that situation, where you need all your damage right away, handguns just win out. If they buffed Scavenger on bows and x-bows (bolts and arrows are much more easily retrievable on the go) so that ammo wasn't such a big deal, their windows of usefulness might be different.

Maybe in situations like a rat ogre spawn or sitting next to an ammo box during a swarm, bows are superior, but I'm unsure. I haven't done math to come to this conclusion.

Edit: On a separate note, has anyone gotten a brace of pistols for the WH with reduced spread, and is it as amazing as I imagine?

Elpato fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 29, 2015

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Got a longbow with 15% increased attacke speed. It's like having a decent swiftbow. Yayyyyy

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I know grudge-rakers aren't exactly the most popular thing around this place but:

I may have lucked into some pretty synergistic traits on this thing. What do you guys think? Worth upgrading?

Also, I"m loving the two-handed axe on the dwarf nowadays. One shot clan rats on hard with the sweep and :black101:

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Two things that I've been experimenting with:

:black101: Has anyone developed a best practice for destroying mission objects (support chains/pillars)?

When I'm doing it solo, I shave a good 5 to 10 seconds of my time destroying these things by using rapier, one-handed hammer, battle-scepter, or one-handed axe charged attacks. The thing these all have in common is fast, armor piercing charge attacks. Spamming fast, normal attacks seem to take significantly more time to down an object even with these weapons.

Perhaps these things count as having some form of armor? If that's the case, my demolition speed with armor piercing, two-handers is still noticeably slower due to slower attack speeds. I haven't gotten to test it super scientifically. Maybe you guys have some anecdotal experience that we can all benefit from as well.

:black101: For that matter, what about gates/board barriers? I've found that anything with a vertical attack seems to be a bit faster for boards. My one-handed hammer is especially good for this (charged attack). Perhaps the boards have individual hit-boxes that you can *ding* all at once with vertical attacks? I don't break down a lot of gates.

All I've got is anecdotes here. Maybe someone else has better research.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Krinkle posted:

Yes, but, I assumed all weapons do? It never occurred to me it was only the fire sword.

Yesterday I was 2-h dwarfing it in nightmare and I completely humiliated myself. Is the charge up for 2 handed hammer longer than for the shield? I can't explain why I can't get in the rhythm, and I hope to god there were lag effects, because every loving time I turned around it was six rats stabbing me and I swear to god I checked my blind spots before shooting that packmaster there shouldn't have been any, let alone six rats stabbing my kidneys but every goddamn time there were.

I assume it has to do with the attack speed stat on the charged attack. Rapier can charged attack like twice for every two-hander charged attack.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

It's happening, guys! Pubbie runs are now smoother than my bot runs!

It's happening!

Pubbies never change. The AI shits itself as soon as it sees a ratling gunner now. :suicide:

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Backhand posted:

I fired up Nightmare Enemy Below last night, and left it up for a good 10 minutes trying to find a group. One guy joined and was legitimately interested in making it work.

No one else.

Success for Nightmare Enemy Below is contingent on where the rogre spawns. If it's in the first room with the round drain, you're golden. If it's in the tunnels, God help you.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

If the rogre stood still and let it be a straight up DPS race, melee would win the race hands down. In the real world though, he's all over the place, bonking, jumping, running. That's why the WH pistols are the best use of your narrow strength potion window. Never have to catch up to the rogre. Never have to stop pulling the trigger.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I like the Bright Wizard, because I like the idea of ranged crowd control. She's got that in spades. Flame river staff is best staff.

Anyone have the definitive word on what gear power level does? My experiments with target dummies tell me that higher gear score gets you higher damage, but does it affect anything else?

Elpato fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Did my first few veteran missions last night on the new(ish) swamp map. Seems like the director on that map likes to throw like half a dozen specials at you right when you meet your first boss.

It spawned:
Flamethrower Roger
Chaos warrior
Warpfire thrower
Ratling gunner
Warpstorm dude

The next run was similar except the boss was a chaos spawn and we had two chaos warriors over the course of the fight.

It was nasty AF.

Is there a limit on how many specials they can send your way at once? plz don’t limit it. This was hilarious

• Locked thread