Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Lasher posted:

Really interested in getting this for the Xbox, but I don't have a microphone and hopefully will never have to speak to anyone ever because I have a voice like a shitted in pair of keks.

Is communication essential for this or should I not bother?

It's pretty important on the highest difficulties but you can probably clear normal easily and hard as long as you get a mildly intelligent group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

PSA about the docks map, in the warehouse where you have to throw exploding barrels into the central structure: there is a little ledge made of planks that get you close enough to the center to throw the barrel into the middle spot. If you do not throw it from there, you will miss and make everyone take another minute or so to get another barrel ready. Stop causing me to lose every run because you try the same throw from the side 5 loving times and can't get it through your thick goddam head that it will never work. Do not then call me an idiot and/or rear end in a top hat for coming down to personally throw the barrel in because "that's not how you do this map".

Sorry, I am salty about bad elf pubbies.

always grab a barrel and do that one the instant you get into that warehouse first, while there's still 5 barrels spawning

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

In an MMO or PvP centric game something like the BP exploit would be unacceptable.

In a casual, PvE only team game who gives a gently caress. If you are a sane person whose life isn't ruled by loot you can just not do it and it will never have any effect on you.

the problem becomes when playing with strangers it becomes expected to go along with it because if you don't you get kicked, and it artificially inflates what people expect your gear to be like

President Ark
May 16, 2010

dogstile posted:

I was really, really sad that there isn't actually a bossfight with him. I wanted to smash his face in with a hammer. Even if he was just a normal rat in a fight and it was just you smashing your way through a crowd of rats to get to him and then bonking him on the face (the energy shield he has means you can't shoot him) it'd be more satisfying than "hah, he falls and dies, you win"

on the other hand, seeing as skaven are Starscream: The Species and grey seers are The Most Starscream, having him die by falling into a pit offscreen instead of you personally murdering him opens the way for him to return as a character later - either a boss fight or whatever

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Coolguye posted:

This is from a few pages back but this thread moves quick nowadays. Do note that the decision to nuke Fantasy came shortly after some major court decisions that ruled that GW could not trademark the orcs and elves in Fantasy, as they were altogether too generic and the concepts too disseminated to allow them protections. The alternative would have been to allow potential legal action against pretty much anyone who had elves hanging out in forests in their books.

The 40k franchise is different because everything is highly stylized, and even the paper-thin translations (space elves, and orcs with a twisted sense of humor) have unique names as their primary monikers (Eldar and Orks).

Games Workshop retains their position through monopolistic control of their IPs. If they can't enforce their cut of an IP, they don't have any use for it. Age of Sigmar has everything as highly stylized as 40k, and therefore everything's enforceable.

two counterpoints:

1. they still renamed a bunch of factions in 40k to dumb poo poo (i.e. imperial guard to something dumb like "astra militarum") so that they could copyright them

2. sure, they can rename all the factions, but that doesn't mean they also have to nuke the rules and entire setting and replace the rules with a bunch of whose-line-is-it-anyway no-points bullshit system and also literally end the world and replace it with wibbly wobbly nonsense

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Did he literally shot himself in the foot, or is the position of the pistol just an unfortunate coincidence? I'd also mock the 2 pistols 1 hand thing, but the Witch Hunter exists.

Carrying multiple one-shot pistols so you could fire multiple times without needing to reload was a real thing real pirates did.

I mean, it was usually like three, maybe six tops, not the 64 Victor might be carrying around, but still.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Holy poo poo I went straight from a white quality handgun on the soldier to an orange "Pfalz Harquebuss" handgun. On the first outing I popped two stormvermin's heads in one shot.

My face: :aaa:

Also I'm pretty sure it's one-shotting stormvermin even on body shots in Hard. I'm guessing that won't hold up in nightmare but boy howdy is it nice right now.

It might still one shot them on nightmare... but on that difficulty it'll also oneshot your teammates because nightmare/cata have friendly fire on ranged attacks. :unsmigghh:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Radish posted:

Sorry I don't know how to play this game I just bought I guess!!

"this x reeks of ignorance" is something the elf says

President Ark
May 16, 2010

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I'm having a tough time getting used to two-handed weapons, is it just getting into a rhythm with charge attacks and letting faster melee clean up or is there something I'm missing? I feel totally ineffective out there when I'm actually using the weapon.

Use charge attacks liberally, most 2h weapons (particularly the soldier's greathammer) have really amazing sweeping/cleaving attacks as their charge. There is kind of a rhythm - charge a short distance away from group, walk forward into group, release charge, then immediately backdodge to avoid any rats you missed/stormvermin who don't get knocked on their rear end. Repeat as needed.

e: And don't do full charges, even a minimally-charged swing will still bowl everything over on its rear end and kill slaves in one or two swings.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 2, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Krinkle posted:

Three blue sword and shields for the guard. One two handed hammer. One two handed flamberge. I told myself I was fine with any of them but I wanted that legendary guard gear.

1.5% heroic killing blow on a 2 handed hammer? Only activates on charged attacks? There isn't a heroic killing blow on a regular attack instead of a charge, is there?

heroic KB is charged only, but can kill anything (including rat ogres). there's a regular kb that works on regular attacks but it can't kill rat ogres.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Cool. I'm an rear end in a top hat to assholes then, I'll readily admit.

so don't pretend what you're doing is cool and good then

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Liberal_L33t posted:

Regarding the grudge-raker, I think the whole "ranged weapons are for special skaven, melee is for clanrats and hordes" meta is something that the community has imposed by way of groupthink more than an actual intended gameplay dynamic. I've actually had people bitch at me for bringing a (blue!!) grudge-raker on hard even though I'm packing a two-handed warhammer that smashes up stormvermin like nobody's business and wiping out half the skavenslave hordes five-per-shot. Likewise, the witchhunter's dual pistols strike me as an example of a ranged weapon that it's just stupid to "save" for special rats; it seems pretty obvious that the devs intended them to be emptied into onrushing crowds.

I mean, jesus; the reason I stopped playing MOBAs is because of the aggressive, insistent metagaming by the community. Do we have to let Vermintide get taken over by this straight-jacketing bullshit too?

SO yeah, upgrade the gently caress out of that grudgeraker and kill some hordes with it.

it probably doesn't help that on nightmare+ firing ranged weapons willy-nilly is dangerous because they have ranged friendly fire

President Ark
May 16, 2010

the grudgeraker with reload speed and spread reduction owns because it's still decent at long range as long as you're not trying to get sicknasty esports headshots and it does comparable damage to the handgun to multiple skaven at close range and has a much higher effective rate of fire because every reload is two shots instead of one

that one i wouldn't use over another orange with those two mods but 1) it's an orange and gonna own anyway, 2) health on kill + penetration on a shotgun seems like a pretty cool combination

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Vargs posted:

Spent several hours bashing our heads against nightmare Wheat & Chaff the other day, come back today and we finished first try on an ultra smooth and easy run. Then we proceeded to complete nightmare Well Watch + Supply and Demand first shot as well, no problem. I almost feel like Fatshark secretly made the game 90% easier over the past 24 hours that I haven't touched Vermintide.

Glad to have nightmare completion out of the way though. Now I can get back to doing things that are at least slightly more loot-profitable than NM Wheat&Chaff/Well Watch/White Rat, which are pretty loving dire in that regard.

people play video games worse when they're angry/tired/frustrated

this is also why you shouldn't be a dick to people needlessly, because you're just shooting yourself in the foot

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Mr Cuddles posted:

Can anybody tell me the best way to kill storm vermin as a dwarf with mace and shield?

what is your ranged weapon

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

If you think about it the Skaven move about in tunnels. Kind of like snakes...

Tunnel Snakes?

skaven hate snakes, a snake god beat the poo poo out of their rat god once

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i dont hear anything much at all (its just some "racht/keit" gibberish, but a few of my friends claim its RAT. KING.

skaven don't have one king (he'd get murdered pretty much immediately), it's a council, so that wouldn't make any sense

President Ark
May 16, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

Thats actually pretty awesome. Are there any good Skaven story wise? The Stormvermin are my favorite mob from any game ever.

If you mean "good" as in terms of morality... not really, they're a race of furry sociopaths with a complete disregard for life. If they do something that has a positive result for the world at large, it's probably by accident - most (in)famously, one of the top Grey Seers, Thanquol, is monstrously unlucky in terms of his schemes going wrong (but he always manages to get away, usually at the expensive of his minions - in the tabletop, he even has a ridiculous ward save that, if it prevents damage, kills another skaven near him) to the point that a Slann mage-priest (aztec toad demigod/priest) had Thanquol at his mercy but let him live because he prophesized that Thanquol being alive would ultimately harm the Skaven way more than him being dead.

Someone told me once that they're a race of Starscreams and they're basically right.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 5, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

the funny thing is the beam isn't even that safe; globadiers and ratling gunners can and will gently caress you up on it

President Ark
May 16, 2010

i'm pretty sure "draught" is pronounced "health potion"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Skandranon posted:

It was set by accident, how does one change it after the fact?

mods can do it

President Ark
May 16, 2010

AndroidHub posted:

Just to make sure this isn't confirmation bias on my part, fusing stuff does pull from the type of weapons put in an not just a random weapon right?

it's 20% to get any given weapon you put into it, so 5 of one thing = 100% of that thing, 4 of one thing and 1 of another = 80%/20%, etc

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Last night some random pub decided to give the genius advice of "stick together", so I refused:

didn't change your steam name to John Rambo, 0/10

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Deport The Irish posted:

Does this game have a full release date yet? I'm intrigued but leery about getting games in early access/alpha/pre alpha/beta/words have no meaning.

it was released a month ago dude

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Nebiros posted:

New DLC confirmed. Ratling Guns spun up too long will randomly spin and fire on their own units or explode. (Please do this Fatshark, Skaven are funniest when they're exploding themselves. It's why I played them)

i'm pretty sure if a ratling gun fires long enough it will eventually explode, which is a failsafe for if it pins everyone down at the end of a long hallway and everyone's out of ammo

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Modi1024 posted:

Is that actually a thing in the cannon?

Yes. They mostly stick to conventional rats, but hanging out in sewers and so on means they have the most knowledge of the Skaven among imperial citizens (skaven being regarded as a kind of boogeyman)... and, since they were generally weirdos before choosing the profession that involves hanging out in sewers all the time, are usually regarded as nutjobs and all reports of giant rats walking like men written off as conspiracy theories and/or madness.

Also canon is that part of their starting equipment in the RPG they were introduced in is "a small, but vicious dog".

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Geight posted:

Does this game have any sort of dynamic map features other than the positioning of pickups?

there are a couple spots in maps where you'll be sent down one of two paths - one i can think of off the top of my head is on supply and demand shortly before you get to the park with the fountain that leads to the carpenter's guild with the grimoire

other than that, no

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

So let me get this straight: The Skaven are a race of large-nosed literal vermin untermensch who go around stabbing people in the back and poisoning wells, causing problems for the German empire and whose presence in a certain location is necessary to bring about the end times?

i'm pretty sure they're supposed to be nazis, given all the mad science, poison gas, and their symbol used to look a hell of a lot more like a swastika (it was originally just a three-armed swastika)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Martout posted:

Got roger, three gunners, a globadier and a packmaster on well defence all at once. Fastest wipe I ever saw!

Occasionally the AI director will just go "no you know what, no, gently caress you guys!" and welp v:shobon:v

to be fair to the AI director, the well defence mission will spawn roger 100% of the time between the third and fourth well sequences

President Ark
May 16, 2010

re: slayers using ranged weapons - there's nothing specifically disallowing it considering there's these guys who use a brace of pistols like saltzpyre does

most slayers just prefer fighting up close because it has a higher chance of leading to a glorious death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Polyseme posted:

I'm still waiting for Thanquol's assistant as legit-human-child as a party member.

realtalk, i could see an eshin assassin as a character whose shtick is thinking the current skaven/chaos plan to Literally Blow Up The Planet And Kill All Life is dumb because, y'know, he's on the planet, and working with the crew to assist them

• Locked thread