Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grondoth posted:

I really wonder how everything's gonna shake out as the game matures. There's so many obviously broken things in this game that baffle me, which makes me think they're more focused on making things work than making things fair.
Although I realllly think hero power is a mistake. It's going to change the nature of the game completely, and make balancing along the experience very difficult. It's maybe my only worry, because it's a fundamental part of the gameplay that obfuscates differences in character loadouts and means there's no way to depower yourself. In V1 you could always throw on worse items. There's lots linked to it, but that can be changed(like having a power level to get into difficulties), but its presence will always be there and will make things confusing.

I prefer working games vs. fair games in pretty much any/all aspects. I'm not to fussed that there are broken things in a co-op game either. Fatshark also have a good track record for fixing things. I don't see how powerlevel will make it more difficult to balance anything. I'd go as far and say it *should* do the opposite. Right now I think the biggest problems are things just not working as intended from a coding perspective. With the large balance sweeps they've done in the recent patches they seem to be on top of the most egregiously broken things.

Currently they've made one of the best rat/man smash games. Problems begin to arise depending on where on the min/max spectrum you fall ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

ok you can lick the chaos spawn but just this once

:lsd: :slick: :catdrugs: :slick: :lsd:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
420 melee kills w/ Dual Dagger Shade.

Kills rats/bad mans erryday.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hexenritter posted:

Of course I know there's a mute button, but I've had some genuinely good games with people who aren't shitlords and who can communicate so I'm not one to just automute everyone because of the occasional lovely pub.

Also, I was using those particular terms in my post there more to create a simple, easy archetype to identify the guy by. If you're an east coast millennial I don't automatically hate you, so don't worry.

edit: oh gently caress you all lol

General rule of thumb is mute 100% of the people you don't know when playing a multiplayer game, and about 85% of the people you know :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Whole game feels like it's not really ready for primetime. Yeah, beta, sure, but a good 2/3 of the maps are completely untested and major features aren't going to be ready on launch day.

Is there a wiki, guide, or resource to help digest what arbitrary power thresholds you need to meet on a per-difficulty basis to not feel gimpy?

Play game, smash rats, open boxes, have fun.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

No poo poo? I had no idea it was him, totally doing it then.

Yeah, I usually listen to other music when playing games but the music here is so good and atmospheric it's hard not to leave it on.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

am i reading this right? it goes live at like 4pm est?

Timezones are hard.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Digirat posted:

The game’s design is worse than the first almost across the board...:words:

Is this just a spicy hot take or are you being serious?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
That's a shame. The game is better pretty much across any metric that matters except for "Is the same as Vermintide 1"

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Giant Isopod posted:

It's currently failing in the available hats metric, but I have faith

:same:

Atoramos posted:

Digirat cares a whole lot about the first game and how it balances/plays at the hardest difficulties, and its players like him that kept Vermintide 1 going as long as it did with as many updates as it got. More than likely he's right about a buncha stuff like how the new specials/shield rats are gonna effect handling large hordes of rats and such.

That said I poured like 80 hours into the first game and already 30 into the second and I don't think I'm ever going to hit a point where I'll care about any of it, because for my level of play the game's good and fun.

Caring about a good game is fine, but projecting a bunch of stuff from the first game onto its sequel is silly Especially with wide sweeping statements like "The design of this game is total bollocks."

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

speaking of projecting

he actually called out the additions to the mechanics as specifically what he has issues with, especially the hero power thing, which is dumb, bad, and baddumb. perhaps even dumbbad.

like i disagree with digirat on a bunch (just hit my ? if you want to see us arguing) but people are ragging on him for a bunch of poo poo they wished he said rather than what he actually said.

What part of entire design bad bad did I not comprehend here? :) When you start with a broad, spicy hot take like that.....

He's been projecting VT1 --> VT2 for pages here.

Hero power is fine. At least from my perspective. Number goes up, things die faster, better, harder. I move up difficulty things get tougher until numbers go up. I even managed to get a few random champion runs completed by 1) making number go up 2)rolling traits that a) suit my play style b) fit my build. There's nothing overly complex here. It might break some brain s further if you absolutely have to min/max every aspect of your character. But I'm not like that but can appreciate if someone is.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
When playing games, have fun. When fun is no longer had move on.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Digirat posted:

I’ve never called it “total bollocks” and wouldn’t still be here saying it’s a good game if it was. the problem is that it’s worse than the first game, a statement that really isn’t sweeping at all when I’ve explained numerous reasons why over loving weeks here. You’ve spent longer misrepresenting those reasons as all being “different than the first game” than you have actually reading them, so forgive me if I have a hard time taking a single word you post seriously

Dude, don't make me quote what you wrote. I don't feel like scrolling down :P. You literally said something to the effect of the game's design is bad across the board. How else is someone supposed to read that as? Yeah you've spent weeks posting about how V2 isn't V1 in gameplay and mechanics. I happen to disagree with pretty much everything you've said. Mostly because we don't and probably never will see eye to eye on what makes a game fun for us. That's ok.

V2 is a better game across any worthwhile metric for what makes a good + fun game for me and probably a really good chunk of other players.

Game play is tight. Movement/combat/character classes/etc.

Combat is a significantly better than the first game both from a look and feel perspective and actual game mechanics (changes to push/block, staggering, how many enemies you can cleave depending on weapon time, weapon weight, etc, etc).

Loot is not even in the same category anymore.

We have an entirely new enemy to fight

We have way more specials to fight.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

you have been willfully misinterpreting every single not-entirely-positive thing that has been said about this game as curmudgeonly salt making GBS threads on the game's entire existence since you started posting here and posting junk like "just have fun with it until you're not" like the rest of us aren't doing literally the same thing between here and the discord. you don't even do this to me so much because i incessantly drop in 'don't get me wrong....' clauses precisely because junk like this is happening, but it still is super obnoxious and toxic. like just stop man, you are not smart or insightful when you do this junk and it makes it really loving hard to talk about a game that we're on a games forum in a games topic to talk about.

it didn't in VT1 and i see no reason why it would here

Here's the thing. If you don't want generally broad characterisation don't post things like "the entire game's deisgn is bad" and then get mad that someone calls you out for it.

I nor anyone else is saying the game is perfect. It doesn't have to be either. But from my perspective there's been pages of "discussion" that basically amounts to new thing not like old thing. Maybe I've misread the posts or the the tone but that's the way I've read it. I also happen to think that the VT2 is leaps and bounds better in concrete ways I've already listed and specifically in a number of ways that me and Digi don't see eye to eye about.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

if you want to set rules like this, don't get touchy when someone calls you out for being too proud to ask questions or clarify points instead of just taking as gospel whatever extreme reading that goes into your brain at first glaze. digirat literally already responded to you by saying that isn't what he said, i told you even before that that isn't what he said, this is not a discussion, this poo poo you're spouting isn't what he or anyone else said, yet you're continuing to pretend like it totally was guys, seriously.

your entire function in this thread has been to come in, get a first-grader's comprehension of what's being posted, respond smugly, and ignore all context surrounding the topic. like, loving stop, you're being an idiot.

Are you being wilfully ignorant here? It's literally what he said. There's no mental gymnastics required my man. Let me help you out a bit.

Digirat posted:

The game’s design is worse than the first almost across the board...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Let's pretend I empty quoted this back at you for the same reason for the next x pages and call it a day. We're not going to move the needle in any appreciable way. I disagree with the majority of his opinions on the game.

Unlucky7 posted:

Look, speaking as someone who WAS slightly scared off by Digirats posting, suck it up and get over it.

I'm good. :)

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

you still have a first grader's reading comprehension because the entire point here is i do not want to 'move the needle' on your opinions, i could not possibly care less what your opinions are.

this isn't an 'agree to disagree' cop-out, you're acting like a child and i'm asking you to knock it the gently caress off. if you can't, then just do everyone a favor and stay the hell out of the new thread.

Dude I'm not sure why you're being stupidly aggressive, or why you constantly feel the need to post about it. I get it you don't like me or how I post. Get over it. Add me to ignore or whatever it is you need to do. Stop posting if you don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

I don't know who is worse but some how you are both idiot children

I learned from the best daddy.

• Locked thread