Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really like how the Skaven aren't just zombies with a different coat of paint. Having Slave Rats run off when alone and duck in a shadow hoping you don't see them so they can shiv you in the back or seeing them get others to attack it you is pretty neat as well as the Skaven setting up ambushes. Also this beta build they've really made the Gutter Runner not want to be seen. If you fire at him in the distance he'll run off instead of just pouncing blindly like a Hunter in L4D and if you don't kill him after knocking him off someone he'll toss a smokebomb and vanish before making another strike

Pierson posted:

Can anyone talk about the loot they got for winning? Is it all just straight up plus-or-minus stats in there or can it change the way a character plays.

Different weapons change playstyles then the abilities you unlock in the forge on weapons give bonuses. Blocking might recover your stamina, killing enemies might give health etc. Here is a good list on the official fourms of all the traits people have found so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Had a really good team tonight that got both Grimoire and all three Tomes. I ended up with a blue axe for the dwarf :getin:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

First DLC will be mandated by Games Workshop and it will be a Sigmarine who will remind every how glorious the age of sigmar is

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

And grinding just doesn't make sense anyway. Its not like payday 2 where you were getting money and skills to unlock and you know what you'd be getting for sure. If you grind in this game it's for a random weapon for a random class at a random level. You'd basically be grinding to get weapons to grind with and with no idea if this grind session would be worth it over actually playing the game on a different level

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Skandranon posted:

I find the rat ogre to be harder than the tank in L4D, for a few reasons. One, everyone had equal range opportunities in L4D, so it was easy to have 3 people laying down fire on the tank while one person ran around, whereas with the rat ogre almost everyone has to get in melee to do significant damage. Two, the molotov was almost meant for bringing down the tank, so you just needed to set it on fire and dodge for a bit. Three, there seems to be a much higher chance of getting rat ogre + specials/ambush at the same time, vs getting tank + specials/ambush in L4D.

The rat ogre also changes targets. A NPC tank in L4D would stick to one target unless another player basically rubbed their face against it by hitting it with a melee weapon. Rat Ogres seem all too happy to go after someone else in range once it whaps someone away. If one person is kiting it while someone at range blasts away at it it'll also leap towards the other person instead so you have to be prepared to move and block which most players aren't

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 13, 2015

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

They have seem to have the Skaven increased their non-mob states too. Just cleared out a small wave of them and the last one looked at us and turned tail running for another group which was pretty awesome. Typically before this patch they'd only do that if they were found alone for the first time never pulling a "gently caress this" after their fellows were killed

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I've heard rumblings that the Dwarf has like a secret ability to his shield shove that causes what amounts to a taunt for rats hit? Is that true? He does seem like the tank class

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I really like Stormvermin. It actually makes you learn their cool melee system and dodge system to do well. Of course most pubbies still treat this like L4D and just mash attack over and over no matter what they face but you get the few who you can see blocking, dodging, and aiming power strikes at the head and neck

The melee combat feels great too. Once you get blocking and dodging down there's a great flow to combat with even Slaverats. Anyone know if the beta will run off an installation of the full game or still the closed beta client?

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 15, 2015

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah a lot of players treat this game like L4D so far. Run as fast as you can to the exit and just mash fire over and over with melee. You can squeak (heh rat joke) out a win in easy like that but if you don't learn blocking, dodging, and timing heavy attacks you're gonna be hosed on anything harder

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

All progress from this beta will carry as long as there isn't some massive technical bug where they have to rest to fix it

I'm hoping they'll do Skaven playable DLC cause Skavens helping man-things to beat other Skavens is completely true to Skaven nature. Skaven are the best

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

I tried the Empire guy with a sword and board. The combat feels loose on first impression. Like a slash just kind of hits everything on screen with a very forgiving range, and the push seems to go way out. Is it like Chivarly where you do more damage based on where within your swing the hit connects?

Some guy was talking about dice a lot too. Kept asking if we were getting them when he picked them up. No idea what he meant, but the end of mission screen said something about bonus dice so I guess we got them too. Should I be looking for dice too or let other dudes worry about that?

That's because you're using the shield and sword. You have a really wide range because you are basically being a tank. You're damage is meh but you hit and bash in a wide arc to get a lot of Skaven attention and your block has a lot of stamina to handle all the heat your being on yourself. Also depending on where your arc is and a rats location will depend if you hit them. Some weapons swing out from the shoulders so rats right against you on your side will get hit but then as you swing your arc will reach a lot further in front if you. Also if a Stormvermin is in a group of clan or slave rats their armor will stop your arc from continuing as you swing so keep an eye out for that

One last Stormvermin note is that they can shove just like you. When they do you get shoved back slightly but it'll also interrupt an attack or a block. If you're facing two at once it's not uncommon for one to do a big wind up attack and the other to shove you to break your block as it's about to go off. Or shove you into a group of clan rats

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 17, 2015

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Witch Hunter and the elf feel like high damage classes for single targets. They can put the hurt on Stormvermin and ogres pretty hard. For a L4D comparison they're the sniper rifles compared to the shotguns

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Games smashing it right now on Steam that's pretty awesome! Though a lot of people need to unlearn poo poo they've learned from other horde games like Killing Floor and L4D cause I'm seeing a lot of people face tanking Stormvermin and just mash attack while they get pummeled

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm hoping that they add in steam trading fo weapons cause that would be pretty neat to be able to trade blues you don't give a poo poo about for blues for a class you play

Also the staff for the Brightwizard that makes me shoot super fast and basically makes me a badguy from DBZ is pretty great

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Kanos posted:

You can set it so allied outlines are on all the time so you never mistake your little dwarf buddy for a disgusting rat monster ever again.

Uh dwarfs are disgusting rat monsters anyway so :shrug:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Theswarms posted:

Brightwizard question, when charging a fireball/bolt with the altfire does it matter if you let it complete the charging animation or can you just fire it straight away for full effect?

You can let it go for a smaller effect. If you let the entire animation play through it'll be bigger/stronger

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Do we know what causes the loot table to sometimes improve, seemingly at random? I've had Hard runs where there are two possible oranges instead of one, for example.

Your personal performance during the mission. The better you do with killing/aiding teammates the better your rewards

dogstile posted:

I just call them hunters, because that's what they basically are.

I find them tougher then hunters since these fuckers will actively runaway and hide if you spot them to come back for another go

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I can't seem to run the game right now I keep getting an error when I try to launch in game. Anyone else having issues?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Atleast there won't be an Age of Sigmar video game because such a thing would only steal sales from the tabletop game/figures! :v:

You say that like AoS is actually moving product or anything

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah getting downed even on normal can really easily cause a cascade of death for your team. It's not like L4D where the zombies stick to the down person. Just one or two clam rats can take out a player then suddenly the ten rats they'd normally handle pile on other players and that can overwhelm people really fast. If Youre in the red and you think an ambush or event is coming you should heal. Also if you a couple rats eyeing you but cowering back kill those ficked cause the minute the see your back they charge at you

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

We know that there are at least Grey Seers. We've seen promotional art and footage of them but no one knows what they do

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Drythe posted:

They count any video game revenue as accidental. They don't believe video games get people interested in their table top product which is where they make their money. They also don't believe in market research and that they set the market.

GW is dumb.

I hope they go bankrupt and sell the IP to someone competent.

Example of GW being dumb: everyone like the setting and characters of Vermintide? Technically this setting no longer exists GW literally blew up the world of Warhammer and replaced it with fantasy gold faceless robot looking things that are the blandest poo poo possible

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The only good thing seems to be that since the good setting is now "dead" to GW they are quicker to license it out so we get games like Vermintide and the upcoming Total War game at least

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This is what they replaced everything with. The entire army, including heros, all look like this either with different weapons or some have really stupid looking angel wings

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Drythe posted:

Also remember the new rules have dumb rear end poo poo like you have a bigger mustache take an extra roll or poo poo equally retarded.

That's only for the old pre-AoS legacy armies where their stated goal for those rules is either make them so embarrassing or unfun to play against people will stop playing those armies out of embarrassment and/or because no one will want to play with them

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Drythe posted:

That doesn't make it any better, so my point still stands, AoS has new dumb rear end rules. Now amended to being dumb rear end rules for dumb rear end reasons.

Oh no I agree. AoS is purestrain poo poo. It's just even worse for people who had armies before AoS destroyed everything cause now their armies are made to purposely be terrible

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Well they're pretty dumb then cause the horn exploit got fixed last patch

And yeah exploits are the most boring loving thing. I didn't get cheesing events in L4D and I don't get it here. If you don't want to play parts of a game don't play the game?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I got a blue wizard sword with a big knock back ability and rolled 10% chance on kill to lower over charge. I've become a burning engine of death :getin:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think ambushes have set points instead of randomly happening like a hoard. Just blew up the gate in the tower map and my friend noticed a lot of Skaven seemingly lining up in the roof tops above the path way to the staircase that leads to the tavern. He says that might be an ambush and I say those are random like hoardes. He fires his crossbow and takes one out and as soon as it happens an ambush starts and they all start jumping off the roofs for us. I've also noticed some rats backing off around a corner and when a player rounds them there's a group waiting and as soon as you round the bend an ambush starts. Anyone knows how ambushes start?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Snatch Duster posted:

Apparently there is a pacing director. However, I think there might be set points and the director spawns some hordes if the group takes too long or is moving too quickly.

^^I suppose so but it played the ambush scream when it happened so that's why I was wondering ^^

I get that but I didn't know if the Skaven phdtically set up for an ambush or if it's just a sound que that spawns a hoard instantly. It ałways seems like for ambushes there's a pre-existing group for it but that might just be confirmation bias

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Given how badly the idea of a cage freaks the elf out I'm guessing she's had a run in with Dark Elfs

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

sarmhan posted:

No microtransactions planned, from the CEO. The CEO is also a WHFB nerd with 4 armies.

Did anyone ask him how he feels about Age of Sigmar? :v:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

You know the answer.

If they put in Scrunt DLC I don't think I could ever play anything else. All the other characters dialogue would be them awkwardly trying to acknowledge the Scrunt as little as possible

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Drythe posted:

lmao the loading screens say when you see a loot rat ignore the plight of your teammates and charge it headon for it's glorious loot

I am guilty of this. D-does this mean the worst pubbie was inside me this entire time? :ohdear:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Where the hell is he storing 26 pistols?

E. Elf: "Ammo here, lumberfoots" *grabs a stack of arrows*

WH: "Hold up guys, I need to load and store 30 musket pistols"

None of your drat business, Sam Kruber

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So any news on if there really are any special Skaven they were not included in the beta? I kept seeing people say that but never saw anything official about it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The first mutation ever released will be Packed With Rats and it will replaced every normal Skaven with a Packmaster

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Trier posted:

I was one dice away from getting blue drakefire pistols. ONE. And it wasn't one short, either. It was one too many. :argh:

Guess what I got this morning? :getin:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

If this is actually the reason behind the name/difficulty I'll laugh so hard.

I assumed this was actually the case :v: If you haven't learned the mechanics of combat when you go to wheat and chaff you're gonna get destroyed. There is no camping a doorway in that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The issue I have with the BP exploit isn't that people are grinding out high level loot. That's fine personally I think it takes away from the fun but it's a personal thing. The issue I have is that now all these pubbies who only know how to exploit that one thing have really high levels like they've been playing through the game at higher difficulties but when they join anything over normal they completely fall apart. Levels you could use to gauge someone before a match started if they had ever done high difficulties but now you have to wait to see if they're a massive gently caress up in game which is a waste of everyone's time involved

• Locked thread