Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Noragami Aragoto is the second season of Bones' adaptation of the manga Noragami, following last year's first season. It follows Hiyori Iki, a middle school student who, after saving a stronger from a car accident, finds herself embroiled in a world of gods, spirits, and phantoms accompanied by an incredibly minor god named Yato who's just looking to get paid.

This season of the anime adapts an arc of the manga focusing around the character of Bishamon and her grudge against Yato. Good stuff.

PV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AojrwQeiM2U

Dramatis Personae

Yato (Hiroshi Kamiya)
A minor Shinto god who does odd jobs to pay for his dream of having his own shrine. The divine equivalent of Fiverr. Kind of an idiot.

Hiyori Iki (Maaya Uchida)
A middle school student who, after saving Yato from a car accident, gains the ability to astrally project herself as a half-phantom. Problem is, she can't control it. Tolerates Yato, I guess.

Yukine (Yuki Kaji)
Yato's current Regalia, which is kinda like a weapon from Soul Eater except made from a dead guy's soul. Turns into a katana. Was kind of a piece of poo poo in the first season, less so now.

Kofuku (Aki Toyosaki)
A god of poverty and friend to the three main characters. Looks cute, but will totally suck your wallet dry. Her and her Regalia are very cute together.

Daikoku (Daisuke Ono)
Kofuku's Regalia. Seems scary, but he's actually a nice guy. Turns into a paper fan. Likes Hiyori and Yukine, hates Yato.

Bishamonten (Miyuki Sawashiro)
Aka Bishamon aka Veena. One of the deadliest war gods. Suuuuper hates Yato, which is the basis for this season. Has 8 combat Regalia and a bunch of other ones that just hang at her house.

Phantoms
Beings from the spirit world (or the Far Shore) that influence humans and other beings in the living world (the Near Shore). These guys are bad news and taking care of them is a major part of a god's duties. Hiyori is half-one due to her astral projection.

Why should I watch Noragami?
*Really cool setting and use of Shinto mythology
*Slick action like whoa
*It's actually pretty drat funny
*Characters are great too
*You get to hear Hiroshi Kamiya be an idiot, which is worth the price of admission!

Noragami is licensed by Funimation, and you can watch the first season on Funimation and Hulu (dubbed is free, sub requires membership, which is oddly the opposite of what they usually do) or Netflix (subbed only) and episodes of Aragoto stream on Funimation Fridays at 1:05 ET.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The first season was solid fun, and I've every expectation that the second will follow suit. If folks haven't watched the inter-season OVAs, they should.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Waffleman_ posted:

Why should I watch Noragami?
*Really cool setting and use of Shinto mythology
*Slick action like whoa
*It's actually pretty drat funny
*Characters are great too
*You get to hear Hiroshi Kamiya be an idiot, which is worth the price of admission!
*Catchy OP songs
*Funky soundtrack
*ED songs by Tia and ryo(supercell)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Delivery God Yato at your service!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love that the first fight of the season is against a baby's reflection.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show is on the edge of enjoyable and forgettable. Alas, I'm buckled in for another season.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
So, I stopped watching S1 around the start of the filler arc. Do i have to go back and finish that up before I start S2?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Naaaaah. It's fine.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Filler arc was useless and its actually better if you didnt watch it since it was just a using a bunch of the themes that were being touched on this season but that bones didn't know how they would materialize so they just cobbled them into something.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm reader for silly heroic god adventures with a cat-girl-spirit :ghost:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:cmon: half the fun is put forward by Taku Iwasaki's music!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

:cmon: half the fun is put forward by Taku Iwasaki's music!

Oh jeez I feel dumb for not realizing that he also did the Gatchaman Crowds/Insight music.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm surprised they're making the villain obvious from the start rather than making this a whodunnit. It just seems like the perfect setup for one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Episode 2, aka "You Won't Sass Me Like That When I Can Summon Wolves"

Edit: Reference because I think it's something only I have ever gotten and I love mentioning it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCZATqd86I

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 14, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That was some pretty brutal death by wolves right there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

About to watch episode 3, but I present TimeToWatchAnime.gif

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I need to get caught up but was hoping episode 1 and 2 both showing up on Hulu finally might mean I wouldn't have to resort to files to watch episode 3 in a timely fashion. I was starting to wonder if Funi had decided to keep it as an exclusive on their site or something.
edit: it's already on there, yay

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 17, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gettin' some major Othello vibes here. Hopefully with a happier ending.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow Bishamon was just gonna shoot Yuikine right in the face huh

hoping Hiyori will be the wild card that wrecks all the schemes with wrestling moves

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Every episode this season has just had some kinda gut punch in it.

Also Kugu was straight loving that poo poo when Kazuma stood up to Bishamon.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Every episode this season has just had some kinda gut punch in it.

I think that's why I like this show so much. Not really the gut punch part but that the characters are really easy to get invested in and care about.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
blushing Yato best Yato

Yukine :ohdear:

(=ↀωↀ=)✧

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMUZozVQ2U

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bishamon posted:

Speak of me as I am. Nothing extenuate,
Nor set down aught in malice. Then must you speak
Of one that loved not wisely, but too well.
Of one not easily jealous, but being wrought,
Perplexed in the extreme. Of one whose hand,
Like the base Indian, threw a pearl away
Richer than all his tribe. Of one whose subdued eyes,
Albeit unused to the melting mood,
Drop tears as fast as the Arabian trees
Their medicinal gum.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Actually not that bad?

The vocals could be a bit louder, but I liked it.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The Oral Cigarettes is a great band name. I laugh every time I see it in the OP.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So finally we get some answers to some big questions, but a bigger one gets presented to us at the same time:

What does it mean that Yato "obeyed" Nora?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Suddenly, squeaking belly buttons

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Veena is kinda dumb.

Also: :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This whole thing would be solved if these two just talked to each other.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

a side effect of being near immortal is that it takes a loving huge amount of time to actually process things and change. A running theme in the series is how stubborn gods are in their ways. There is a way to accelerate the process though...depends on how you look at it

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Watched the first three episodes of the new season. It's at least as good as the first, so far. I am upset with Yukine for taking out his pain on another who is suffering, and with the doctor for making my friends unhappy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Aiha managed to come back from that? :stare:

Girl is hardcore.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Aiha managed to come back from that? :stare:

Girl is hardcore.

Yeah. And I'm glad she did.

That was a pretty good ending. And Bishamon has even learned something from the whole mess!

Oh, and Nora is once again up to no good, of course. She is awesome.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Awww, Yato finally has his very own shrine. :unsmith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Awww, Yato finally has his very own shrine. :unsmith:

That scene was, how they say, adorable :3: my colded jaded anime heart managed to feel some warmth there

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I liked the first season of Noragami well enough, but the second season has been a huge step up, geez.

Also Ebisu is actually kind of hilarious for an antagonist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

madmac posted:

I liked the first season of Noragami well enough, but the second season has been a huge step up, geez.

Also Ebisu is actually kind of hilarious for an antagonist.

Are we even sure he's an antagonist? We still don't know what the purpose of his Phantom research is, and a lot of the stuff so far seems to suggest he's being framed by someone more malevolent.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Waffleman_ posted:

Episode 2, aka "You Won't Sass Me Like That When I Can Summon Wolves"

Edit: Reference because I think it's something only I have ever gotten and I love mentioning it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCZATqd86I

I played in a Pathfinder game a few years back and had a Summoner that had "You won't sass me like that when I can summon wolves" on a spellbook in the nearest approximation of it I could muster in Latin. Your post is literally the only other mention I've seen of the song and that made my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
This most recent episode wasn't one of my favorites of the series.

They're really stretching it with the "Soul Call" thing to pull Yato and Bishamonten out of the underworld. "You need to be able to see vents and be alive and have a connection to the god in question and...", from there they might as well have gone with requirements to have purple eyes and black hair and be over the age of 13 but under the age of 16 and have a given name beginning with "ひ" and ..... etc.

Then there's the revelation of Yato's true name which just falls completely flat. I had thought maybe Yaboku was an actual element of the Buddhist pantheon, but 5 minutes of wikiing and googling stuff seems to suggest that it's entirely a fictional god. That being the case, they should have put a bit more effort into Hiyori's research at the library trying to figure out just who the hell Yato was, especially given Yato's apparent motivation of "Oh, I didn't tell them because if they knew who I was they would have hated me and abandoned me". Then again, if I spoke/read Japanese, maybe it would be an alternate kana reading or one of the predecessors of the katakana 'to' in his name, but more wiki'ing doesn't seem to suggest that. Either way, it fell flat.

One way or another, it just didn't work for me.

• Locked thread