Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

This most recent episode wasn't one of my favorites of the series.

They're really stretching it with the "Soul Call" thing to pull Yato and Bishamonten out of the underworld. "You need to be able to see vents and be alive and have a connection to the god in question and...", from there they might as well have gone with requirements to have purple eyes and black hair and be over the age of 13 but under the age of 16 and have a given name beginning with "ひ" and ..... etc.

Then there's the revelation of Yato's true name which just falls completely flat. I had thought maybe Yaboku was an actual element of the Buddhist pantheon, but 5 minutes of wikiing and googling stuff seems to suggest that it's entirely a fictional god. That being the case, they should have put a bit more effort into Hiyori's research at the library trying to figure out just who the hell Yato was, especially given Yato's apparent motivation of "Oh, I didn't tell them because if they knew who I was they would have hated me and abandoned me". Then again, if I spoke/read Japanese, maybe it would be an alternate kana reading or one of the predecessors of the katakana 'to' in his name, but more wiki'ing doesn't seem to suggest that. Either way, it fell flat.

One way or another, it just didn't work for me.

Manga spoilers MANGA SPOILERS

Yato is aware of his origins, he was created as a "wish" from a single man that wants to eradicate all the gods in the world. His "father". Later on the series the gods find him such a large threat that they dont even want to try to stop him because he's completely broken when he's wielding Nora. Yato's name is just something his father came up with, Yato's first Regalia misread his name's kanji and thought they meant Yato instead of Yaboku. Yato liked it so he started calling himself that.

I really should catch up with the anime again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

This most recent episode wasn't one of my favorites of the series.

They're really stretching it with the "Soul Call" thing to pull Yato and Bishamonten out of the underworld. "You need to be able to see vents and be alive and have a connection to the god in question and...", from there they might as well have gone with requirements to have purple eyes and black hair and be over the age of 13 but under the age of 16 and have a given name beginning with "ひ" and ..... etc.

Then there's the revelation of Yato's true name which just falls completely flat. I had thought maybe Yaboku was an actual element of the Buddhist pantheon, but 5 minutes of wikiing and googling stuff seems to suggest that it's entirely a fictional god. That being the case, they should have put a bit more effort into Hiyori's research at the library trying to figure out just who the hell Yato was, especially given Yato's apparent motivation of "Oh, I didn't tell them because if they knew who I was they would have hated me and abandoned me". Then again, if I spoke/read Japanese, maybe it would be an alternate kana reading or one of the predecessors of the katakana 'to' in his name, but more wiki'ing doesn't seem to suggest that. Either way, it fell flat.

One way or another, it just didn't work for me.

I'm assuming that a Soul Call is just the Japanese version of what a medium does, going to spiritually-sensitive areas and calling souls from the underworld to chat to. It's a pretty common element in a bunch of folkloric traditions. Only Hiyori had the support team to make it work a lot better. As for Yaboku, 'boku' is indeed an alternative reading of the 'to' character. Hence why the camera focused on the name on Hiyori's shrine when she worked it out. The peculiarities of the Japanese language make it a reasonable guess to make, kind of like how someone fruitlessly trying to summon a guy called Ramsbottom might eventually try calling for Ramsbotham instead.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fun S2. I hope there'll be a S3 maybe?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Alder posted:

Fun S2. I hope there'll be a S3 maybe?

I think they have enough source material right now to do another season, but it might not have a good cutoff point since the arc is on going.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, the anime already placed some of the more important pieces for a third season. I hope that this is a good sign.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

All I ask is whoever makes the inevitable S3 thread to please use the "No You shut the gently caress up dad" tag.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Just finished. This was a good upgrade over season 1. I'd look forward to a season 3 this time.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I like Nora.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You'll love the arcs after this then.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Very good. I just hope we won't have to wait almost 2 years for the next season. Or I have to start reading the manga...

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Anime ends around chapter 38. There are 61 chapters translated.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Very good. I just hope we won't have to wait almost 2 years for the next season. Or I have to start reading the manga...

Manga is nice too :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Anime ends around chapter 38. There are 61 chapters translated.

Theoretically, that's enough for another season (if we assume twenty chapters per cour), but I hear we're right in the middle of a big story arc without a natural end-point, so we might have to wait until they can animate all that in one go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Heyghiss!

Great season. Loved the op and Ed. Heyghiss

• Locked thread