Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

fishmech posted:

the one person i know who's actively kept it is a dude who travels across the country by car for some service thing, all over rear end-end nowhere places with cell service too unreliable for internet streaming and where the only terrestrial radio is the conservative talk radio, the two jesus stations, and a corporate country station.

you found the edgiest of edge cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

fishmech posted:

the one person i know who's actively kept it is a dude who travels across the country by car for some service thing, all over rear end-end nowhere places with cell service too unreliable for internet streaming and where the only terrestrial radio is the conservative talk radio, the two jesus stations, and a corporate country station.

as a person who once was this person driving long trips for work several hours a day and losing terrestrial radio stations constantly it is the poo poo
they also used to include the online streaming for free but got wise to it and started adding a fee for that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
wow an old school CGAtar

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

Silver Alicorn posted:

wow an old school CGAtar
oh yah forgot i had it. avs off for work browsing but thank you goon sire

i miss the old phone tech guy we subbed work out to at my old job. super nice guy and would take the time out from what he was working on and answer questions about the phone system and wiring. it seemed to me like a lot of the landline peculiarisms and various handling systems you could only learn in the field with a senior tech

we were renovating a building and he laughed when he showed up because he originally did all of the wiring in that particular unit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Awia posted:

who listens to the radio tho?

i listen to the radio while i'm driving. easier than janitoring music on my ipod.

OPB/NPR, local independent super-hippie station, local independent all-classical music, OPB (formerly community college) jazz, and then the FM "news"/talk radio for when i want to know if there's a big freeway pileup

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

minivanmegafun posted:

also everyone I know who canceled xm/Sirius continued to have their car served for months/years afterwards, apparently they're not very good at deactivating receivers

This happens in any media where they're selling ad space or access to third parties. They want to make sure that when they say, "We have X number of customers you'll be able to reach," that X is the largest number possible. The marginal cost of delivering content to a single user is often lower than the possible amount of value they can generate from that user. So deactivating all non-paying subscribers could actually cost them a tangible amount of money in revenue from third parties for advertising/access.

This is why lots of magazines give away free subscriptions or end up continuing to deliver to non-paying subscribers.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ErIog posted:

This happens in any media where they're selling ad space or access to third parties. They want to make sure that when they say, "We have X number of customers you'll be able to reach," that X is the largest number possible. The marginal cost of delivering content to a single user is often lower than the possible amount of value they can generate from that user. So deactivating all non-paying subscribers could actually cost them a tangible amount of money in revenue from third parties for advertising/access.

This is why lots of magazines give away free subscriptions or end up continuing to deliver to non-paying subscribers.

eh im pretty sure this is a more direct sat radio issue. im pretty sure i read a 2600 article about getting free sat radio by turning off your service and keeping your receiver off for 6 months or some other tedious amount of time.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Trabisnikof posted:

i read a 2600 article

lmao

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

ErIog posted:

there's no advertising on satellite radio though

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ahmeni posted:

yeah it's mostly an Australian thing he's talking about because ATSC is the major tv distribution method in this country. it was p nice to start but they're slowly replacing channels from a single 1080 feed into a couple 720s because the only alternative is dropping $100+ a month for cable via the Foxtel monopoly
this is why Netflix is doing so well here that it impacts internet quality in the evenings

DVB but I'm guessing that was just a brain fart

also foxtel is only $25/mo for the pov pack now, but that also gets you crappy quality

still probably better than OTA now that they waste 500 kbps for the phone&win channel and 700 kbps for the horse racing channel

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 11, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

there's no advertising on satellite radio though

i have some bad news for you

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zines are cool ok

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Trabisnikof posted:

eh im pretty sure this is a more direct sat radio issue. im pretty sure i read a 2600 article about getting free sat radio by turning off your service and keeping your receiver off for 6 months or some other tedious amount of time.

it's a broadcast medium, so activation and deactivation of specific receivers is (or was) handled by just rolling through the ESNs of all the receivers to be activated or deactivated on a side channel for x number of days after the activation or deactivation. outside that window, if the receiver had been activated, but shut off during the deactivation roll, it would remain active indefinitely

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you'd think they'd just replace all the encryption keys on a regular interval and make the side channel continuously cycle through the current & next master encryption keys encrypted with each subscriber unit's unique key

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes, that would have been a better design, but remember xm and serius are janky crap from the turn of the century. to my knowledge they're still maintaining legacy compatibility with their old receivers too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fishmech posted:

uk digital radio and us satellite radio end up with most channels using the same amount of quality, and it's real bad

most uk digital radio stations use 128 kbps MP2 when you really need like 192 or 256 for cd quality.
most sirius/xm music channels get 40 to 64 kbps channels but since they're using he-aac it's about on par with the 128 kbps british radio

in the old days sirius used some weird proprietary format that was worse than the he-aac format, although they did have slightly more bandwidth for each channel

in comparison, US/Canada "hd radio" format uses a he-aac derived codec at 40 or 60 kbps for AM digital radio, and 125-150 kbps signal on FM. and if you listen, you'll notice that they usually have one high bandwidth subchannel simulcasting the analog, and then a lower bandwidth signal or two for simulcasting an am station or a different audio program. a station can also go full digital and have 300 kbps to play with, but there's like 2 of those across the continent. you could get like 3 really nice quality simultaneous music channels or a single 5.1 surrpund channel out of that. also many of the ones that operate in analog-digital mode just have a single really high bandwidth signal for the simulcast.

sirius/xm must use a loving terrible he-aac encoder then because apple's encoder @ 48-64 kbps vbr isn't bad at all. i mean you can tell that it's compressed, but i'd say it sounds on par with roughly 92 kbps aac-lc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Awia posted:

who listens to the radio tho?

People who work? Berp boop work doesn't count because they have to have their anime songs.

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i listen to the radio while i'm driving. easier than janitoring music on my ipod.

OPB/NPR, local independent super-hippie station, local independent all-classical music, OPB (formerly community college) jazz, and then the FM "news"/talk radio for when i want to know if there's a big freeway pileup

gently caress, being able to find kmhd by aimlessly tuning the radio while I'm driving is one of the main things I miss after moving from Portland to Seattle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are IMTS phones anachronistic enough for this thred?

http://www.wb6nvh.com/Carphone.htm

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jonny 290 posted:

Yes, for gods sake someone please talk about telephones again instead of xm radio or whatever

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I have a land line because when earthquakes hit everyone in SF overloads the cell towers and you cannot place a loving telephone call to save your life but the land line is always fine.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor is an interesting anachronism

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

if you plug that dangling wire into one of those sockets and crank the big knob, it rings that phone :D

wanna crank that knob

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I worked on some old rear end ships where we still had sound powered telephones

basically you'd have a dial where you chose which number you wanted to call (e.g. 1 was the bridge, 2 engine room, 3 captain's room, etc etc) and a crank to make it ring. then you held a button down and spoke in this heavy handset

it was a single line shared across the ships so if you got lucky you could pick up and listen in on such riveting conversation as "hey good morning it's 3:30" or "generator 2 was running a bit hot so I took it off the board"

the best thing with that though was if you mistakenly rang the captain at 3:00 when you meant to ring the engine room, you just flicked the selector to chief engineer, rang him too, and you could listen to the two having an argument over who woke up who

(I never had the balls to do this)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FrozenVent posted:

I worked on some old rear end ships where we still had sound powered telephones

basically you'd have a dial where you chose which number you wanted to call (e.g. 1 was the bridge, 2 engine room, 3 captain's room, etc etc) and a crank to make it ring. then you held a button down and spoke in this heavy handset

it was a single line shared across the ships so if you got lucky you could pick up and listen in on such riveting conversation as "hey good morning it's 3:30" or "generator 2 was running a bit hot so I took it off the board"

the best thing with that though was if you mistakenly rang the captain at 3:00 when you meant to ring the engine room, you just flicked the selector to chief engineer, rang him too, and you could listen to the two having an argument over who woke up who

(I never had the balls to do this)

this sounds like a sweet system

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

rotor posted:

I have a land line because when earthquakes hit everyone in SF overloads the cell towers and you cannot place a loving telephone call to save your life but the land line is always fine.

verizon is working hard to rip up all their copper where they have fiber to make sure no one can reliably place phone calls ever again

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jonny 290 posted:

this is really interesting

we threw away a bunch of radiotelephones designed for use with OLT (Offentlig Landmobil Telefoni) about two months ago when we cleaned the basement at the local ham radio club

manual switching system, to receive calls you had to listen to a calling channel everywhere you went and then if someone called you an annoyed sounding lady would yell at you to switch to some other channel to take the call
don't know if they allowed handovers at all, it would definitely require switching to the calling/operator channel to have them transfer it manually

also if you wanted to call someone from a landline you'd better know roughly where they were, otherwise they'd have to try every transmitter in the county until they answered

pretty sure they eventually added a selcal system, but i think that was around the time the glorious Nordisk MobilTelefoni system was introduced with ~digital~ in band signalling and automatic handover

i'm not sure if all radios were duplex, but i have one which included duplex filters tuned to ~163 and 171 MHz

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

well that explains the phone handset with a button and an xlr looking connector on it that mysteriously appeared in the hackerspace

it may be that exact goddamn model

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

longview posted:

manual switching system, to receive calls you had to listen to a calling channel everywhere you went and then if someone called you an annoyed sounding lady would yell at you to switch to some other channel to take the call
don't know if they allowed handovers at all, it would definitely require switching to the calling/operator channel to have them transfer it manually

the Canadian coast guard will still (or at least they did a few years ago) patch phone calls through to marine radios for like fishermen and stuff. it's a duplex thing so you can listen in to the shore side of the conversation if you're not a nice person... and transmit over the other ship if you really want to be a dickhole

anybody ever had to deal with fax polling?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Captain Foo posted:

this sounds like a sweet system

Sound Powered phones are sweet. And they're still heavily used on US Navy warships for just that reason.

:phoneb::phoneline::phone:

So how sound powered phones work is one of the simplest electrical engineering concepts. Your voice causes a transducer to vibrate which generates an electrical signal, signal goes down a wire and the same style of transducer on the opposite end recreates your voice. No external power system required, its quite literally sound powered.

Now in practice there are cool setups of these things and they're great for any sort of high reliability short range communication. What I've used consist of a three part system: Matrices, Growlers with Handsets, and Jacks and Headsets .

The Matrices are backbone. Mechanically they're simple, but they don't look it. When you have more than one phone you want to tie them all together. You could just wire an arbitrary number in parallel but that gets messy if you have grounds or more than one spot that wants to talk at once. So you connect them to a matrix, which is just a giant bank of on/off toggles. Each line coming in can be toggled onto any bus, and all the lines on a single bus become connected and can communicate.

Have a grounded line? Toggle it off and the rest of the system is fine. Coordinating something complex? Toggle those lines to their own bus so everyone else can get on without interrupting it constantly.

This is a classic bakelite growler box and phone. All hail bakelite! The indestructible material of the future! Smash peoples faces and sheet metal with ease!

Growlers are fun. They make an obnoxious warbling sound. This is the solution to how you alert someone since there is no power to ring a bell. You make your own electricity. You crank a handle which spins a dynamo and it sends raw noisy low voltage across the wire. Each location on the selector knob sends the growl to a different station. That can be quite a bit of fun depending on how you have it set up.

This leads me to my favorite and most amusing setup for these things. Normally I figure most people would just have the phones on party lines for the few times they're needed. Now on a submarine we had two big party lines that were kept very formal and it worked great. But sometimes you just need to have those long drawn out conversations, for those we had something special.

Each of the 16 station selector positions on the growler was turned into its own little matrix. So that any phone selected, for example, to station 9 would be connected to station 9 and through 9 all other phones also selected to 9. Made for on the fly conference calling and isolated 1 on 1's. But since the selector switch was now serving dual purpose as the matrix this left talking with a slight risk. The growler signal would also be transmitted over the voice line and should someone growl your station while you were using it you and your conversation partner would both be treated to an ear splitting howl. Etiquette required you check the line and announce beforehand that you were placing a call to prevent this. People tend to be too lazy for etiquette. Similar painful sounds could be made by holding the transmit button and smashing the phone on the nearest metallic object.

Phones can get intense. Multiple party lines for different services, directed lines, alert lines, lines which will be sent to an amplifier box and broadcast through loud speakers.

Lastly are just the Headsets. Maybe not everywhere can have its own box. So you run strings of these heavy duty phone jacks to places of interest. They're aligned in the matrix to wherever you need them and you just plug in and go.

The handsets and headsets themselves are just the two (generally interchangeable) transducers, a transmit button, and a little capacitive filter. Handsets are normally setup so that both the ear and mouthpiece are connected when the button is pressed, this prevents signal degradation from having all the handsets active on the line all the time. Headsets (In the navy at least) only transmit when you press the button but are always listening, as its assumed if you've plugged in the headset its for something you're actively participating in.

Why go through all this trouble? Because its reliable in a way its very hard to convey in a meaningful way to people used to "reliable" technology. Loss of power, fire, emp, electronic jamming, they'll work until they're underwater.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm the Home Roam Man.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

M_Gargantua posted:

Similar painful sounds could be made by holding the transmit button and smashing the phone on the nearest metallic object.

usn_recreation.txt

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

FrozenVent posted:

the Canadian coast guard will still (or at least they did a few years ago) patch phone calls through to marine radios for like fishermen and stuff. it's a duplex thing so you can listen in to the shore side of the conversation if you're not a nice person... and transmit over the other ship if you really want to be a dickhole

anybody ever had to deal with fax polling?

pretty sure most if not all marine radio services offer radiotelephone calls still, but i've never had the chance to try it despite having a marine VHF license

i have an old marine VHF which included some kind of selcall/ANI thing, not sure how that system worked, there was no DTMF pad on it so I assume it either auto-transmitter the subscriber ID to the operator or it worked as a selcall. it also included a nice handset with PTT button, which is always nice to have in general

they also did duplex telephony over MF/HF, or at least the navy used to. I have an Elektrisk Bureau :norway: HF transmitter and somewhat matching ITT Mackay receiver, the service and installation manual includes descriptions of how to wire it into the ships telephone system and what kind of duplex filters should be used

iirc they did downlink around 1800 kHz and transmit around 2200 or so. no idea if that could be automatically connected or if the ships radio operator had to set it up with the land station operator

a later version of the exciter module included a remote control connector to set the frequency, which suggests some degree of automation

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
some of the offices in the hospital complex my doctor's at have an emergency sound powered phone system to be used in case of emergency or the failure of their ip phones and backup pots phones

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

M_Gargantua posted:

a freakin' sweet post

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

also if you take out the bit from a drill it'll fit just right on the axle of the growler box crank 👹

longview posted:

iirc they did downlink around 1800 kHz and transmit around 2200 or so. no idea if that could be automatically connected or if the ships radio operator had to set it up with the land station operator

a later version of the exciter module included a remote control connector to set the frequency, which suggests some degree of automation

it's a giant pain in the rear end

so the modern (gmdss) way to do it in theory is this:

you place a DSC call to the other station with the frequency pair you want to use
receiving station accepts the call and their receiver tunes to the frequency
you talk

in practice it goes like this:
your friend emails you that he needs to test his loving gmdss
you tell him to go gently caress himself
he promises you a few drinks or whatever
you check that the antenna is clear
you turn on the loving thing
it doesn't loving work
the distress message alarm goes off
you spend half an hour loving with it
bumfuck egypt coast guard sends out a safety of shipping broadcast so the alarm goes off
you type in the other guy's mmsi, which is like a bazillion digit
it doesn't work
the distress message alarm goes off (some random fuckhead acknowledging the earlier message)
you accidentally trigger the distress call function and freak the gently caress out
the urgent message alarm goes off but thankfully it's not from you
you pull out the loving manual, which is a two inch think binder
you throw the loving manual at a wall
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
your friend has managed to send you a DSC call
you acknowledge it
poo poo you pushed the wrong button better start over
the distress alarm goes off
you pick up the sat phone and call your friend to tell him to go gently caress himself, seriously.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck anything more complicated than simplex bridge to bridge poo poo

there's also some way to set up telex over radio using gmdss but I repressed those memories

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

radio faxes are cool though receiving those things was a loving art

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

mishaq posted:

i like how between consumer voip running over internet connections with no qos and highly compressed cellular phone codecs, making phone call in 2015 is worse quality than 1990

higher bitrate codecs ("HD voice") at least are becoming more prevalent but still lol

also the death of landlines leaves many with no form of communication in long periods of electricity being down. the lovely battery backup units on fiber/cable voip lines last 8 hours at best

HD voice / volte / whatever tmo uses is the bomb, first time I made a call with it was like :wth::peanut:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think calls made in hangouts sound way better but they were worse on my wifes phone apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FrozenVent posted:

also if you take out the bit from a drill it'll fit just right on the axle of the growler box crank 👹

it's a giant pain in the rear end

so the modern (gmdss) way to do it in theory is this:

you place a DSC call to the other station with the frequency pair you want to use
receiving station accepts the call and their receiver tunes to the frequency
you talk

in practice it goes like this:
your friend emails you that he needs to test his loving gmdss
you tell him to go gently caress himself
he promises you a few drinks or whatever
you check that the antenna is clear
you turn on the loving thing
it doesn't loving work
you spend half an hour loving with it
bumfuck egypt coast guard sends out a safety of shipping broadcast so the alarm goes off
you type in the other guy's mmsi, which is like a bazillion digit
it doesn't work
the distress message alarm goes off (some random fuckhead acknowledging the earlier message)
you accidentally trigger the distress call function and freak the gently caress out
the urgent message alarm goes off but thankfully it's not from you
you pull out the loving manual, which is a two inch think binder
you throw the loving manual at a wall
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
your friend has managed to send you a DSC call
you acknowledge it
poo poo you pushed the wrong button better start over
the distress alarm goes off
you pick up the sat phone and call your friend to tell him to go gently caress himself, seriously.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck anything more complicated than simplex bridge to bridge poo poo

there's also some way to set up telex over radio using gmdss but I repressed those memories

I'm lolling

• Locked thread