Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

As an ALT in Japan, this song is a constant part of my life and it kills me that I can't watch this video til I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A nine-man team sounds amazing and I hope they're all in every episode.

Only if they're characterized as strongly as the Zyuohgers.

I really can't stress enough how much I love Leo. He's the token "manly" one but his actor never drops below 120%, the way he runs into almost every big scene on all fours every time has never failed to get at least a smile out of me.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I went and saw Heisei Generations VS Pac-Man Long Name Film this past weekend. I understood most of it, even with my weak Japanese, since a good half of the film was action and fanservice and it was fairly light on the plot.

An interesting, potentially spoiler-y thing depending on how canon this movie ends up being and what ends up being rewritten for the series:

Apparently Emu was Patient Zero for the Bugstar Virus six years ago. This is revealed prior to his forced transformation into Mighty Brothers via a Proto-Gashat+Mighty Action X combo, which was an incredibly cool sequence.

The rest was pretty neat but nothing groundbreaking. The three nameless antagonists were all really cool, although their fights were actually better prior to transforming into monsters. Really cool martial arts (and wrestling!) stuff.

Also, regardless of the actual quality of Wizard's series, hearing his theme kick on before he walks into frame is just loving cool. He also gets to be snarky and fun rather than brooding, which was nice.

Also also, even though Kouta's actor didn't appear in the movie itself, between this and Movie Wars Full Throttle, I love Gaim just goofing around and doing crazy poo poo in movies because he's a God. Always a great gag.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like the putties but Goldar looks like absolute poo poo. Fits the mineral/earth control theme sure, but geez what a bad design.

Cranston approved of the script so I'll give it a chance, but we'll see how it goes as far as acting and direction go. That's where it looks like it may fall.

That, and the morphing sequence/roll call. If there are no poses and the suits just form on them, the movie can be somehow Oscar worthy in every other scene and it will have still failed.

EDIT: Just morphing sequence actually, has Power Rangers ever done a Roll Call really well? At least they tried with "MEGAFORCE (COLOR), READY!" but that's still pretty weak compared to Sentai calls.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Dino Charge?

I'll look it up, thanks! I only saw the first episode so I'm not sure how they did their roll calls.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Dino Charge is really good.

Just watched a roll call and I'll agree, that was as close to a Sentai roll call as I've ever seen in a Power Rangers show and really well done. May have to give that one a watch!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, his big moment in a recent episode was fantastic and led to my favorite non-Kyoryuger non-helmetless roll call in recent memory. Those are a lot of qualifiers, I know, but it truly was great.

Also they refine the downer gag and it becomes less frequent and executed much better as the show goes on, it became a consistent source of laughs later on.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm currently living in Japan, and last night I was scrolling through the "New Releases" section of Netflix. Do you know what I found there?

Goddamn Kamen Rider W.

I don't know how long this has been a thing since I've been living here for six months, but I did some searches and apparently there's a decent selection of Riders and Sentai on there. The Sentai is sparser, just Gokaiger, Gobusters, and maybe Kyoryuger? But there's a fair few Riders, I think W, OOO, Fourze, Drive, Kabuto, Den-O, and Kiva. As well as a bunch of movies for both factions.

Sadly they're all Japanese only with no subs, but there's something special about whole Toku series' up for stream on Netflix, complete with English summary blurbs because Netflix is nothing if not cruel.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Interesting. So, with a VPN, I could conceivably watch them on my Netflix?

I'm not certain, sadly. I posted about this on a Facebook group too and one person said they were able to access the Japanese Netflix selections through a VPN, and thus see the Toku, but they weren't able to actually stream/watch them.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

I just wish she wasn't in a suit. That lady was decent at acting, seems like wasted potential.

She's also gorgeous. Just sayin'.

Also, I just watched Zyuohger 46 and holy goddamn hell that may be one of the single best episodes of Sentai in recent memory. How are more people not raving about how good that was?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Dude can cut the squishiest of desserts into equal parts I'm sure cancer is nothin'.

Hiiro's character progression has been so low-key post-Graphite I'm looking forward to them finally giving the guy some major frame-time to show it off.

We saw Dan upgrading Taddle Quest in his lab in the episode before yesterday's, so I'm sure his time has to be coming soon.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It could be the worst thing ever and I'd still be hyped based on how good the designs are and how good Zyuohger was.

Plus, I mean, I watched Ninninger which is basically an unspoken promise to watch all Sentai from now on since "C'mon, I made it through Ninninger."

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just caught the first episode of Kyuranger. Pacing is probably a thing they should work on. They crammed so much into that episode, holy poo poo.

They definitely put way too much into one episode but somehow it ended up being super entertaining, YOSSHA LUCKY

The episode definitely could have been split into two with Blue's story and Red's recruitment of him getting a bit more time to develop, not to mention the initial three, but alas they gotta show off that robot. Hopefully things slow down from here and we get some flashbacks to show how the Orion crew came together. But in all honesty it'll probably be Gold and Silver next episode, and heck maybe Raptor gets her powers too. I'm definitely excited for the character focus episodes though, two rounds of those will get us halfway through the dang series.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kyurangers is just going too fast for me. I'll watch next week's ep since it seems Taurus will have stuff going for him, but i'm getting ready to drop it, even if the visuals are amazing and Golden Josuke is cool.

Unless you really really hate it, I'd at least wait til the full crew is assembled. I don't know how toyetic this one will be, but I think once they have all their members they hopefully can calm down a bit and let them breathe. I think the cast has way too much potential to drop based on the early episodes- after all, ToQger only became great during its last arc and while Zyuohger was fun all the way through it really became outstanding during and after the Whale arc. Of course, don't watch it if you don't enjoy it, but I think Kyuranger at least has a somewhat (from a business/kids marketing angle) understandable reason for moving so fast this early on. Once they've shown off their many many toys, they can build the story.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Dexie posted:

If they drop it again, I'm going to be rather upset.

Same. I watched Double and OOOs and Fourze all really close together before Wizard came out and the thread connecting them all, like X doing research on Core Medals near the end of W and such, was just so cool and it was really disappointing when it up and vanished with Wizard.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I watch the current stuff, then during my free time I have been watching Heisei Riders from Kuuga onward, then Sentai I've been watching in reverse order for whatever reason. I jumped in with Gokaiger so I've watched Goseiger and Shinkenger since then, next is Go-onger. I certainly wouldn't recommend it, but since Sentai lacks that clear divide I figure it's fine to watch whatever since all it complicates is Versus movies.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

This is either going to be amazingly bad, or surprisingly good. Either way, at least it'll be more interesting than 1YA.

Wait, is this referring to 100 Years After? The one with Pro Bowler Hearthrob Utchy?? That thing was wonderful.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Agreed. I'm also surprised how much I'm enjoying these goofy aliens. I thought Naga and the Dragon Captain would be annoying but they're played well enough that their goofs come across pretty fun and not just grating.

Also one the beat sentai OPs. Above Go-bus and even Gokai for me.

Go-Bus still stands as my favorite, especially at karaoke, but I agree this one is a treat. It's got a great sense of fun.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I watch all of the movies available and am a little sad that there are still some Drive specials I haven't seen. So I will watch the Ghost movie, despite my ambivalence towards the series itself.

I really want to see the Zyuohger VS Ninninger movie though, despite Ninninger, so I can't wait for that one to come out on video since I missed it in theatres.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah same here. I really want to watch Sakurai and Tomari's adventures on the time train.
Wait, what? Was there a Den-O/Drive special?

I was referring to the last two Type Tokujo and Type Lupin specials, which as far as I know haven't been subbed anywhere yet. If I am wrong, someone please correct me I want to watch them

EDIT: Unless you mean the continuing adventures of Faiz, Zeronos, and Drive in Kamen Rider #4, that one was subbed by TV Nihon and was pretty interesting! Kamen Rider #4: Gou Dies A Lot.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I did mean Kamen Rider 4, I looked on TVN but I didn't immediately see it, because I had forgotten about their obsession with not putting anything in English. So it didn't immediately occur to me that "Sangou/Youngou" was what I was looking for.

It also does seem that TVN has subbed the Type Tokujo special from what I'm seeing.

Yeah, it's often tricky to find stuff on TVN's tracker. If it's not left in Japanese, it is bundled together with another episode/movie and usually poorly labeled. For example, the Zyuohger Animal Wars/Doubutsu Taisen specials were fantastic but probably were missed by most since they'd have to get the episode that they were packaged with.

As for Tokujo, thanks! I'll have to check it again. I downloaded and watched the first two parts, but there are supposedly four total.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Naga saying How Frustrating while smiling like a loving maniac is one of many reasons why I am in love with Kyuranger.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

Going through Kamen Rider Drive due to not having more Ex-Aid.

Got to the Kamen Rider 3 movie and Shocker!Otta makes me very uncomfortable.

EDIT: WHY IS EVERYONE DYING

EDIT 2: well that was utter nonsense. But I did like Kamen Rider 3 a lot. Shame we'll never see him again.

Has anyone subbed Kamen Rider 4 yet?

Yep! It's available through TVN only though, so naturally you have to search their tracker for Kamen Rider Yongou. It's an enjoyable special, I think. More Drive is always welcome.

Also if you've seen Gaim, the Drive section and final section of Movie Wars Full Throttle are wonderful.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I thought it was decent enough. It's TVN, so the main flaw for me is just the stiff, literal translations and leaving in random Japanese VS Over-Time's complete translation and more charming character voice and localization. As far as I could tell there weren't any blatant inaccuracies, but my Japanese is just so-so.

As for Full Throttle, while I could take or leave the actual ties to Gaim as a series, it just cracks me up nowdays when Gaim comes back and just does ridiculous poo poo because he's a god. Drive and Gaim just palling around in the car in space (after de-transforming to fit into it) was just really funny.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

still enjoying Drive. But like.

What's the purpose of the "HOLD IT!" on Chaser's axe? It feels like an excuse to draw out the fight and, in universe, rather impractical.

Is it just a case of Rinna being Rinna?

It's a street sign joke, that's all there is to it. Gotta wait to cross the road man.

I will say that it does pay off in a big way. I look forward to hearing your thoughts then.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'd recommend W, OOO, or Fourze for riders.

I would agree, but stress that it should be watched W->OOO->Fourze.

W is the best of the bunch so it isn't great if you want increasing quality, but OOO and Fourze are wonderful too and watching them in order lets you enjoy the crossover movies properly and get the full experience out of Mega Max once you hit Fourze, which is just the best.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

I kept waiting for Onari's backstory arc, where it'd be revealed how Takeru's dad changed his yankee ways into monkhood.

That's how it works on my headcanon anyways :shobon:

That would have been so good.

I mean, anything would have been better than Literally Nothing, but now I specifically want that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

In other news, Ex-Aid's getting its opening back. There goes that quality.

I really like how good Ex-Aid is right now.

That said, if I have to choose between maintaining Ex-Aid's current quality, or getting Excite back in full every week...

I'd have to think about it. I really like that song.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Amazons had its ups and downs, I think it slowed a bit in the middle and then really picked up at the end, but overall I really liked it.

The fights are pretty quick, occasionally brutally cool but usually just over, but I really liked the characters. Jin was the coolest from the start, but the rest grew on me throughout. And then they went and tugged on all of the threads they'd been weaving and managed to pull off some really great stuff with them near the end. Got some tears out of me, anyway. I'm really looking forward to the next season.

EDIT: Note that while I enjoyed it, the main reason I watched it was so that I could appreciate their cameo in the upcoming Super Hero Wars movie. I have no idea how they'll mesh with the current weeklies, but I look forward to seeing it.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 27, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The first GoRider episode was great, it was wonderful seeing Another Agito again.

Also, the Genm specials with the Legend Rider and Video Game Gashats has been really entertaining and completely loving shameless with the merch hocking and I love it.

I really want new episodes of both, Ex-Aid specials are hecka fun.

Also regarding Kyu 8 with Dragon Boss - For some reason I completely forgot they had colors in their Ranger names so when he introduced himself as Draco Violet I flipped out thinking that, with him both lacking a -Star title and having a different naming convention, that maybe he was the lone survivor of a completely different Sentai team and that's why he started out having such a traditional looking morphed form and such, which to me is a seriously cool idea. I can't wait to see him formally become a Kyuranger and get his cape in the next one.

This series is so much fun.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

I just like that his suit is a kitbashed ToQ 7; complete with the belt buckle train pass.

Haha, Jesus, it really is. I knew he looked familiar somehow, but I did not expect that to be the reason why.

EDIT: Also I looked up his voice actor just now and finding out he was Yato in Noragami makes a lot of sense, I did not expect him to also be Law from One Piece and Akashi from Kuroko's Basketball, which I was just watching last night. Bless that wacky dragon man.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 7, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

BELIEVE IN AMAZON

Can't wait to watch this when I get home, I didn't even realize it'd started. Also, GoRider episode 2. Toku hype.

Also, if anyone was curious about the Amazons cameo in Super Duper Hero Taisen, don't expect much: Ex-Aid gets set up to fight against Alpha, Omega, and Neos in the game world but they don't say anything but "What are you doing?" like once or do anything Amazonsy the entire time. Ex-Aid just gets his rear end kicked by them repeatedly until he decides to start punching through walls until he finds a power-up that swaps his HP (by then at one bar left) with theirs (full) and then he one shots all three. Which was kind of funny, but still enormously disappointing.

Also, on a slightly less spoilery note, at one point ZyuohTiger/Amu fights Kamen Rider Stronger in the game world and oh dear his suit is looking rough. The rubber is all spider-webbed and looks like it'll fall apart any day now. Poor Stronger and his giant floaty. Speaking of which, the big black piece on Pegasus Armor in Kyuranger was looking a little bent by the end of its own introduction episode. I wonder if that's why it hasn't reappeared yet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Burkion posted:

Yeah that sounds exactly like what they'd do to them in an Ex-Aid movie.

Or really any crossover movie.

Never mind the fact that Jin murdered Neos' Amazon family

Yikes. Welp, maybe the writer of the movie wasn't told anything about their characters. More spoilers- This all happens inside of a video game world created by a kid, so you could write it off as them just being game obstacles and not their real selves.

Except that is entirely negated by characters like Momotaros, KyoryuGold, BeetBuster, ect who all show up within the game world and retain their in-series personalities, so, no, it's just really dumb. Whether or not the game world character will act like their real self or just a mindless suit programmed to fight aimlessly until defeated is just up to chance. It really could have been an interesting movie but they keep wasting the potential these big crossovers have by focusing on stories about random new kids and cameos rather than the huge pool of interesting characters they already have to draw from.

That said, while the Kyurangers are wasted and have almost no screen time in the movie, Naga gets the most of it and even a bit of story relevance, and he is always wonderful to watch.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Was it a bad movie? I remember enjoying it okay at the time, but to be fair that was a long time ago and back when I first got into Toku so I do not remember all that much of it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

You think? I find Kotaro pretty annoying. It doesn't help that he doesn't fit with the series' own lore, we had an actual explanation of why Xiao can transform despite not being one of the Nine Ultimate Saviours, but Kotaro can because...he can. At least say "oh yeah we gave that Constellation Blaster the same technology that the Ryutsueder has".

I thought the end of Episode 9 was Xiao being formally accepted by the Draco Kyu Globe and gaining the ability to transform normally like the other nine without it being forced like it originally was. I have not seen 10 yet to judge, but I am guessing from the preview that something similar will happen to Kotaro and Big Bear.

I cannot wait to see 10 to see how Kotaro fights though, since the preview makes it seem like he just flails his scarf around.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kyuranger is really oddly disproportionate with its characters, like I don't feel like I truly know anything about the blue ranger and I got hooked with big black wrestling robot, but he hasn't had wrestling poo poo onscreen besides flashback mentions. That said, the stories are really charming and nice, with a "cool factor" oozing in every minute.

Agreed. We know very little about any of the Kyurangers which would usually bother me but the show is just so much goddamn fun that I cannot fault it for not developing them enough yet. Dragon Ma-Star is fantastic and I hope we delve a bit into each of their backstories once we finish introducing rangers. Spada used to be my least favorite, and he still probably is, but I like him a lot more after his focus episode. Oui, chef!

This is the absolute best thing.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anyone on the fence about GoRider needs to hop off it and watch all of it, god drat that was such a good time. It has minor spoilers for Agito and big spoilers for Gaim and Blade, but if you've seen those or don't mind it's so worth watching. Luckily while I haven't seen Blade, a friend of mine had filled me in before watching it so I could appreciate what they do with it, which is so much better than crossover/cameos usually get. It's almost a shame how much better those three specials are together than Ultra Super Hero Wars was as a movie.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

FeatherFloat posted:

TV-Nihon did the subs for it, so while yeah, it's TV-N, the subs are perfectly comprehensible.

I was really pleased with how they used Kenzaki in this, and I say that as someone whose favorite season is Blade.

Yeah, TVN is the only source for it at the moment so that can be a dealbreaker for some people. But I understand enough Japanese to watch unsubbed movies and I didn't notice any glaring mistakes. Yeah the writing is stiff and awkward and TVN are terrible and I'd never recommend them over any other source, but I want to see everything. So for things like GoRider, or Rider #4 and the Genm specials, if the options are rolling the dice on TVN's quality or not being able to watch it at all, I'll take the risk.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

There's non-TVN subs for all but one Genm special (the Taiko no Tatsujin special), and if that's anything like the Ichigo Eyecon special, you're not missing out much

Oh, well dang shows what I know. Thanks! I'll have to track that down. I've only seen the first two, I wasn't aware that the last one was out let alone subbed. I never saw the Ichigo eyecon special either though, for some reason it has difficult to keep track of when and where these dang specials are released.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignis posted:

No, you misread me, I meant that special's only been subbed by TVN. The first two do have non-TVN subs.

For what it's worth, this is the best thing about that one

Oh no, I read you right, I am just bad at specifying what I'm talking about haha. The first two sentences were about the first two specials and my intent to find the alternate subs, then I moved on to discussing my surprise that the 3rd special had been subbed at all since I wasn't aware of it before. Sorry about that!

Sadly the tweet video is blocked here, but from the text it sounds amazing. Hibiki's taiko was the best part of Decade so I imagine the same will hold true for these specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please send help, I cannot stop marathoning Kuuga. I'm up to ep 11 already and having a blast, even if some of the drama can be really ham-handed.

The fastest and easiest way to quit marathoning Kuuga is to finish Kuuga. -thumbs up-

• Locked thread