Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
HERE'S SOME OPINIONS ABOUT KARATE BUGMANS

Kamen Rider Decade

Kamen Rider Double/W
A wannabe noir detective and his boyfriend partner, Magic Google Man, fight drug abuse metaphors in Japanese not-Chicago.
Most-recommended entry point into the series. Likes to dip in quality right before another plot moment yanks it back up into being fantastic again.

Kamen Rider OOO
A hobo obsessed with underwear and his boyfriend partner, an evil talking arm, fight greed monsters made of money.
Has a filler-ific middle, but a decent ending and entertaining character interactions throughout, plus some great music. Somehow manages to be even gayer that Double.

Kamen Rider Fourze
A Grease cosplayer who wants to be friends with everyone has adventures in space with a squad of high school stereotypes.
High energy, very optimistic. The characters are the meat and potatoes of the series, so if they don't click for you, may not be enjoyable. Decent entry point.

Kamen Rider Wizard
A wizard who loves donuts Mary Sues his way through people's hopes and dreams.
Has a dragon that turns into a motorcycle and still somehow manages to be boring.

Kamen Rider Gaim
Ken Urobochi's Dancing Fruit Samurai. Starts goofy as poo poo, and then people start dying.
Doesn't really stick the landing, but the story has very little filler. Not a good starter series, unless the above description really stuck with you. Love-it-or-hate-it.
PS: Don't watch the last episode.

Kamen Rider Drive
A car-nerd police officer and his talking belt vs. the robot uprising.
Has the best tragic villain in a Kamen Rider series. Probably not the highest quality series on the list, but it's interesting.

Kamen Rider Ghost
A dying guy with no personality uses the souls of legendary historic figures (and public domain characters) to punch ghosts.
Starts somewhat bad, gets good in the middle, then gets even worse. Good secondary rider is the only reason to watch it, and you'll still weep over the wasted potential.

Kamen Rider Ex-Aid
Doctors with retro game powers punch the Pac-Man Fever out of people. Starts goofy as poo poo, and then people start dying.
Has no right to be as good as it is. Takes a little while to spin up; the first dozen episodes are a bit slow.

Kamen Rider Build
Sports drinks and animals?
Not much info yet. Please be good.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't they do the first episode as a matter of course before deciding?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

I still think Toqger was better at handling the 'Red is the best at everything' phase we're in now, since even if Right was a fair amount of the time, the show seemed to take the piss out of him more sincerely than Ninninger does Taka. Plus he wasn't just the hotblooded idiot trope played straight as an arrow.
I still can't get over that Nin^2 has worse Mary Sue Red issues than Shinkenger (which was literally about four people being the Red Ranger's servants), and Kyoryuger (where Daigo's canonical flaw was that he doesn't have flaws).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wake me up! (Wake me up inside!)

(The URL on the image is pretty good, too.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ignis posted:

You didn't, I quoted the wrong person :sweatdrop:

woops
How's ShinkenAnon doing?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ignis posted:

He's kind of dead and burned out by a year of doing SHT, but he's slowly been doing progress on both Ryuki and Shinken. I'm taking over him on Rider, so that'll lessen up his workload a li'l bit hopefully.
Send him our love. He's almost there with Shinkenger, and I can finally recommend my favorite sentai series to other human beings!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

Drive was good as hell. There's a sad scene wth a sentient toy car in the rain.
This, unironically.

ToQ is kind of divisive, and I've heard Ninnin has some pretty good episodes and some really bad ones, so :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

I still haven't finished Gaim, I'm about 10 episodes off, but it was my favorite Kamen Rider up until I stopped and I don't know how bad the ending has to be the dampen that.
The ending is decent but doesn't really stick the landing, as long as you don't watch the last episode. The last episode is kinda weird and undoes some of the closure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

depending on how much you loved chainsaw foot and the complete mishandling of Launcher, Fourze
I absolutely loved the Fourze version, because Gentaro was actually excited to be a superhero.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe it'll get better! It's not the first KR series to have a clumsy opening and recover, right?

...right?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

PLEASE BE GOOD :shepface:
Toku Thread v3.1: Ghost Please Get Good

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

Was that me or some one else.

Because I mostly bitched about the dancing which was objectively bad and stiff.
It really was. Team Gaim were very obviously not trained dancers, and Team Baron kicked the everloving poo poo out of them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It is so loving weird to see Kaito's actor smiling.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

Kaito as the guy who wants strongness is a normal kamen rider kinda guy but I just do not feel like some even in this setting could have a past that leads them to be a guy who talks and acts like Kaito does (about strength. All. The. Time. He's worse than Worf and his Honor). I guess he fits in better once the story gets more epic in scope, though.

Kouta. What the hell is wrong with Kouta. I liked Madoka as a character. I liked lots of other friendship powered heroes. I liked Gentaro from Fourze. What makes Kouta worse? I think part of it is that he's actually pretty inconsiderate in a way that's not just bumbling, and doesn't so much overcome obstacles as finally cave to what people were trying to tell him to do all along.

But on the former... see, Madoka and Gentaro when their friends were having issues tried to understand them. Kouta when he finds out how batshit his friend is and has been, he makes up this weird narrative/assigned motivation for him and he sticks to it and so far has not learned that thing he made up is completely wrong.

Basically they're both the worst characters but at this point in the series I get the feeling that Gen knew exactly how he was writing these
characters and knew how they would come off to viewers. I'm just kinda not getting why.
If it helps, it takes Kouta like three times learning that lesson for it to actually stick. You may have seen some conversation in the thread about how there was a perfect episode for him to get his final upgrade... like four episodes after he actually gets it. That episode is where it sticks for good. In the mean time, you're better off thinking of Kouta as a naive idiot who literally can't consider the possibility that his friends might be bad people, or his whole worldview collapses.

Kaito, meanwhile is too busy being a Chaos Hero from the Shin Megami Tensei series to care about things like "logic". He does get better, though you have to read between the lines on his actions in the last quarter of the series to really get why and how. He's playing the 'create a world where people like me won't need or even be able to exist' long con.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Even as the pure good guy of the Riders he fails, Zack does the job far better.
Zach could have carried a whole series by himself. He'd make a better main character than Kouta, at least.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

As soon as it stops being the best KR since W.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

He's going to go the Kaito Method of 'You thought I was on your side? gently caress you.' and turn around and jack someone in the jaw.

This I believe.
I would love the hell out of that, not gonna lie.

And man, I still love the suit design for Overlord Kaito.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

I may not be able to last another ten episodes of Akari violently screeching about how ghosts aren't real despite being physically hauled around by them and harassed by her dead crush's intangibility antics.
Those drat hemmoroids!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I like the theory that it's almost certainly going to be for one of the movies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lessail posted:

even though my view of it was lukewarm during it's airing, each year I miss the characters of Fourze more and more :smith:
:smith::hf::smith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kazuraba Kouta's 50-episode quest to stop being a goddamn weenie.

Spoiler alert: He fails.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

Because he's a giant mecha knight metal horse! WHY WOULD YOU NOT INCLUDE THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCmTJVew_tY

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

since they can be as nerdy or dry as you'd expect
Excuse you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjK_kSw1_uY

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I'm glad for the Skull segment of Movie War Core because at least then it wasn't a total waste of my time. Fun fact, the OOOs segment, which I maintain as the worst tokusatsu I have ever watched? Written by Toshiki Inoue. Of loving course
So, I looked him up because I couldn't remember just which KRs he was responsible for (answer: way too loving many), and I learned two three things:

1. Toshiki Inoue even looks like an evil scientist in a Kamen Rider series.

2. He's also behind the anime of Yu-Gi-Oh, which explains so much.

Edit for 3. And Zyuranger and Timeranger? What? :psyduck:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 29, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Why does anyone still let him near television scripts?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there really any reason I need to watch Decade 23 and 24 around Shinkenger 21? I didn't before, I don't plan to now, but I don't remember if I missed anything important.

Also, is the movie any good?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

it's ok. It's not in any way important unless you really want more Decade.
Is there any way to get less Decade? Like, erase it from my mind?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BTW, somebody tell ShinkenAnon we love him.

Dude deserves, like, forty-nine beers.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

V-Men posted:

That had Decade playing tennis, so that can't go.
I don't accept "there is a good scene (that you can watch on youtube)" as an argument in favor of a series' quality.

Same reason the Giant Enemy Crab scene doesn't count.

Edit I still stand by the opinion that Kabuto has the largest suit quality:show quality gap. All the suits just look so loving slick, and I will love the aesthetics of TheBee until the day I die.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

John McClane posted:

I dunno, the Wizard suit looks good as hell and it's hard to get worse than Wizard.
That's true. But I take points off for the forms just being palette swaps. Not even interesting ones, like Fourze's are (Cosmic nonwithstanding), just single-color swaps.

On the subject, we kind of agreed that the mid-season upgrade will always look at least as cool as the final form, but is there a "final form quality : show quality" metric?

I don't think there really is. Fourze has Cosmic, but Double has that monstrosity that looks like it had sex with a Ganbaride machine. Meanwhile, W has Xtreme, which is just kind of boring.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 1, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Why did you mention Double twice?
I meant Decade. :doh:

Dexie posted:

They're not palette swaps though? The helmet and chest gets changed for each one.

Huh. I'll be damned.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, Christ. I was talking with a friend about Shinkenger's cast and I just realized something.

They map almost perfectly to the Kids Next Door.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

You've had the best storage solution all along. It's right between your tummy and your legs.

All of them. At once.
Just imagine the cacophony that comes from turning into OrangeTigerCyclone States, Type Speed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, but look how well that worked for Freeza and the Saiyans.
Hey, it got Cell built.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh, there are a bunch of rider shows I haven't seen, but a cowardly lead is new to me.
If you want to keep from getting burnt out on the concept, avoid Den -O like the goddamn plague.

(Of course, Den -O is currently TVN only so you should probably avoid it either way.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

everythingWasBees posted:

So how did Drive turn it, and how is Ghost going so far?
Drive turned out very well. The actual last-episode was kind of superfluous, but the series itself ended well and thematically, and Drive inarguably has the best, most nuanced and interesting villains of any recent KR series.

Ghost has had a couple really good episodes so far, but there's some minor red flags that are personally keeping me from saying too much one way or the other just yet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Should I catch up on ghost?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What's wrong with that? Ninninger is using all the colors of the redbow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

Is that

Going to be a thing

Because that's gorgeous

I mean I could be enough of a nerd to say that WELL HE SHOULD HAVE PINK EYES AND HIGHLIGHTS AND TEAL COLORS INSTEAD OF GREEN

But thankfully I'm also way more of a nerd to recognize that as a straight up Sakurajima homage, which is my personal favorite look for the original Kamen Rider anyways.
"Roadshow".

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Was Wild Force any good? I remember it fairly fondly, but I was also like 12 at the time. (Same story for Lost Galaxy, actually.)

• Locked thread