Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

This Ghost is totally different from the Cameo in Drive 47/48 though, that dude seemed competent and capable, instead of kind of...bumbling?

Isn't that basically every New Rider Cameo though? Just kinda a stock hero persona for the 30 seconds of screentime where they actually talk and not show off their sick new gear.

This one at least has the excuse of obviously happening after Ghost 01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The Gaim/Kikaider crossover had Ryouma putting his brain in an evil robot just for shits and giggles and that alone kinda makes it all worth it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the thing a/b kouta is that he's a very passive character in a more serialized KR series where all the other important characters are trying to actively advance their plots

so a solely reactive hero with no real concrete goals stands out more than in other shows where the villains doing plenty of their own wheel-spinning

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Magiranger's here

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dexie posted:

Then you have their mooks who are amoebas?

clearly they're named off of mobas, which we all know are the bad video games

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man do i feel dumb that it took me until this week's ghost constantly talking about heart over and over for me to notice the lines on specter's suit making a bunch of heartbeat monitor-looking shapes

good ep though, the ending made me real excited to see what's coming next

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I prefer this one because you'd think they would've gotten at least one person who knew English to go "Uh you sure you don't want to use another song?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbqSzH9VIec

i will always hate this clip because it makes me want to watch 555

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Reviews are coming out into the wild for the Power Rangers movie and....WELP.

Spoilers, of course.

I still have to see it.

it basically sounds like an mcu movie so if i'm still somehow willing to pay for those i might as well give mmpr a chance too

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i think it was also to some degree kiriya figuring that they'd need a more long term solution for dealing with the game virus than just getting the CR to bop a bugster whenever they crop up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm enjoying kyuranger as the burgeoning romance between an emotional robot and a robotic emoter

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

So how's she gonna die?

man i was actually excited for a whole five seconds before this brought me down

at least we'll have poppy? they couldn't be dumb enough to introduce two lady riders and kill them both off right? right?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

every movie-advertising crossover is bad and continuity is a joke so i appreciate that they didn't take up entire episodes this time

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

ToQ/Gaim was worth it for the scene of Takatora not noticing the mech battle taking place outside his office.

i can accept this but also want to bring up gaim/kikaider for sengoku going 'hey wouldn't it be sick if i put my brain in this deadly robot'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Orange, Silver, Gold, and Black?

in order: joe, ahim, don, luka

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

(future kyuranger spoilers) gai couldn't mix gold and silver kyurangers because he'd be too busy mixing purple and sky blue

also i'm finally getting around to the last third of zyuohger and man this show picked up a lot once bunglay appeared

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Well I certainly didn't expect THAT at Ex-Aid's recent ending.

same but also the direction it seems to be going from the preview seems pretty loving obvious in retrospect

which i guess is what makes it a good twist

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hmm. Anidex, the site O-T say they've moved their subs to, is either dead or my connection/computer doesn't like it, because I can't access it.

try again, it didn't work for me last night but it seems fine now (probably got messed up with the unexpected rush of traffic of people scrambling to find a nyaa replacement)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

The cast bloat was just way too much. They're down to 8 now (which is exactly enough for their current combined mecha). It still bugs me that Hammy still doesn't have any sort of obvious character quirk.

hammy's quirk is there in the first couple of episodes, she laughs alot at really small things and repeats them back

it's not much of a quirk but it was there

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man this was betrayal week in tokuland something fierce

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sounds like the latest build stuff also mentions it premiering in august so ex-aid won't be running for a full year

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh yeah i ain't complaining, the alternative would be stretching out this final arc with some more MotWs and that'd be annoying

really it's not like these shows are a year-long because they've got a year's worth of story in 'em, they just like adhering to a stable toy schedule

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Motto posted:

Getting around to Ex-Aid and hot drat, Lazer. Getting handed a belt but it turning you into a bike in a modern Heisei show is the most tragic thing I've seen in Rider.

keep watching

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tragedienne posted:

the series hasn't really hit a low point for me.

imo there was a definite lull before parad kills kuroto where the long-term antagonists felt kinda toothless and just kinda appeared and disappeared to sound vaguely menacing and give brave and snipe someone to fight while ex-aid fought the bugster of the week

but that one spoilered thing helped reset the stakes and my interest in the show hasn't really waned since then

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

so there's basically no way kiriya whispered anything but hey i'm just pretending to be evil, play along and get real mad at me

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

kiriya agrees with me that gaim is overrated but emu is a huge urobuchi apologist

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

son of a bitch

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm super mad that i only just last night got the joke for the names of hiiro's gashats

they're all synonyms of the word 'tale'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Huh, I didn't notice that at all. I thought they were just a reference to Square-Enix (Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy) with an unfitting final title.

that's what made me realize it, i was drifting off to sleep thinking about how legacy didn't really fit that pattern and i started thinking about what other jrpgs they could've referenced

and then i remembered the 'tales of' series

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

:sigh:

There go all my high hopes.

a shame that there's only one good writer in all of japan

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

And his name is Gen Urobuchi :twisted:

gah! [rips up a cardboard stand of gaim in anger]

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm always dubious of sequels that don't have much connection to the original creative staff.

maybe wait till we actually know who's on the staff of this sequel to decide if there's 'much connection' then

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

catching up on ex-aid, am i forgetting about something or is the whole 'emu can't use the gamer driver without parad around' drama kinda undercut by there being that special surgery people can undergo to use the gamer driver and emu was the odd one out in not needing it

i haven't seen 40 yet but the preview showed him fighting and i'm not expecting parad to be for reals dead but still, it feels sloppy that none of the characters mentioned that

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Motto posted:

even if they had the time to do that, he wouldn't be able to use hyper muteki

see this is where i feel like i'm forgetting a detail somewhere, why couldn't he use hyper muteki anymore if they did that?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Motto posted:

he needs M's (parad's) power, which is why he couldn't use muteki in the first place before injecting himself to regain it

ohhh right i remember that now, thank you

gently caress this is why watching a serialized toku week-to-week is for scrubs

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

we thought we were getting a buff boy rider but instead we're getting a fuckin nerd

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drive doesn't get really good until kamen rider chase

it's still pretty good up till then tho

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

"Every girl's heart is a Tokimeki Crisis!' is the best jingle IMO.

which subs translate it like that? excite subs does that jingle as 'a maiden's heart goes wild in tokimeki crisis' and i really dig the way that one flows

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i still don't know how i kept watching wizard after 8 goddamn plodding episodes dedicated to introducing his unexciting 'element but more' dragon forms

like, i don't hate wizard as much as this thread does but goddamn was that unforgivable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

gaim is good for awhile but the last third or quarter of it just completely wastes all the good will it'd built up in me

it tries to juggle too many characters leaving a lot of them underbaked and underused(and one major character has alot of their backstory and underlying motivation hiding in a goddamn light novel instead of coming up in the actual show) and it has a lot of cop-out answers for mysteries and tough situations it tries to set up

basically its reach far exceeded its grasp

• Locked thread