Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Bad Seafood posted:

Battle Hopper was the true hero of Kamen Rider Black and it was dumb they replaced him with some other motorcycle.

This has been my ten cent toku opinion.

This man is 100% correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I still can't get over that Nin^2 has worse Mary Sue Red issues than Shinkenger (which was literally about four people being the Red Ranger's servants), and Kyoryuger (where Daigo's canonical flaw was that he doesn't have flaws).

That's because Daigo was supportive and cool, and Shithead just doesn't appear to even notice other people.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
re: Juspion.

So, earlier someone said that Megabeast empire was subbing Juspion. I looked into it and saw this:

this decided it for me. I have to see in what show the producers said "yeah, this is good and cool and makes 100% sense, let's do this."

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

Embrace it. Love it. Never look back from the Juspion

Just in time, as I've caught up on Winspector (Hurry Weeaboo Shotgun, I'm jonesin for more Winspector.)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

mikeycp posted:

and edison was a jackass of epic proportions. what's your point?

so... secondary rider then?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
gently caress y'all, I loved the ghost of Ticket.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Re: Ghost episode 1.

I can't be the only one who likes his Tokusatsu just a little bit on the cheap and lovely side, can I? It adds to the charm of it, when the costumes are a bit silly and cheap looking, and the sound mixing is a little off, and you can see the puppeteer's hand and that kinda thing.

That being said, the Ghost suit is really well made, the close up of his hand/glove showed some beautiful sturdy stitching, the suit looks like it was made for the long haul. (Which, considering the first episode final fight took place on Showa Beach and he got dumped in the water right off the bat, is a good thing.)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So, when can we start ripping poo poo up on Drive?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Serious Frolicking posted:

After V is profoundly unfunny. Like, I appreciate what they are going for, but it all just falls so flat.

I feel like it tries to do what Sunred did, but without the same charm.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Elfgames posted:

The only problem i had with ghost episode 3 is the horrible wire work while he's floating he was basically dangling on the wires and lightly bumping into the ganma it was awful.

it was funny as hell when the ghost of Cochise cut his wire and he dropped to the ground like a stone.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hey, them effects is expensive, they're gonna get their money's worth out of them. It's like Amazon, where they rented a foam-sprayer, so they had to use it in EVERY fight, to maximize their investment.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

He's making a joke.

Some times they used koolaid too.

Seriously though, watch Amazon, count the number of foam-sprayer incidents.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is there really any reason I need to watch Decade 23 and 24 around Shinkenger 21? I didn't before, I don't plan to now, but I don't remember if I missed anything important.

Also, is the movie any good?

it's ok. It's not in any way important unless you really want more Decade.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Literally The Worst posted:

spandex satan is our lord do not belittle him

samurai ha-oh: still the funniest ultramech

Hey, was just looking at the Op again for the link to blade, and I noticed there's no link to RX!

Stone Subs did a really decent job of translating the portugese subs to english and has completed/nearly completed the series. No page up, but it's available on nyaa as always.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

didn't even know anyone was doing RX, i'll ad it to the op

Two batches, 4 seeds currently. So the entire series is completed.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

Trippy enough that not a single modern take has EVER managed to surpass it.

Space Sheriff Gavan is a series I truly adore and love the hell out of, with HK subs that are just kind of bad but still understandable, so this is super exciting for me.

It's also a series that is loving awful to try to marathon watch because of how much footage it recycles.

Transformation stock footage is always a little bit annoying but usually it doesn't stop the flow of an episode, and some times it can even work WITH the flow of an episode.

Gavan's transformation is fine the first few times, but HOLY poo poo it gets obnoxious over his series. There you go, having a nice fun action packed episode, and then he does an awesome pose and transforms! And then the episode stops, the narrator kicks in, and you spend TWICE AS LONG OR LONGER seeing what you've already seen.

Still some of the best Toku ever made though.

Hey! That costume and those effects cost a LOT OF MONEY you better believe we're gonna show them as often as possible to get our money's worth! You think those sets look cheap for fun? No! We took money from the set budget to make that shiny-rear end-bastard and then they told us it was barely going to be in the show! Man, you rotten kids today with your dirt bikes and and your....your... poo poo....what else do kids like these days? Yoshi? Do you know?

(the toku producer scene, chapter 2, scene 3.)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So we watched the first episode last night and I'm already hooked on it. This is a good series and everyone should be watching it.

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 4, 2015

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Holy crap, wish MFC would hurry up and put out MORE GAVAN I need it in my life!!!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

jivjov posted:

It only takes 50 milliseconds to subtitle Gavan

Wait! Let's see that again!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't need it, I don't need it.

BUT I WANT IT.

Edit: He comes with Yurusen god drat it's CUTE

Yeah, I do need this.

Also, Ghost is Ok, it's not good, it's not bad, it's watchable, but pretty standard so far.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cool, now where's more Gavan?!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

AzraelNewtype posted:

It would help if you asked someone involved with Gavan in any way, instead of a group of people who aren't.

I mean, it wouldn't help get them any faster, or make them like you any more, but at least you'd be pissing up the correct rope?

Aw, cut me some slack, I like pissing up ropes.

Non-comedy answer: Apologies, forgot you guys get a lot of poo poo from the spergiest of spergs, so comedy isn't always obvious or welcome. Any ideas on what you'd like to do after Liveman, cause these have been really great!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

:toot: Another one in the can, Almost done now! 3 episodes left, right?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

IT'S LIKE CHRISTMAS COME EARLY!!!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

:eyepop: That looks fantastic

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

...and you've been bad this year! (that's why you're getting Ninninger)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Acne Rain posted:

Well I guess I'll look forward to the next Ghost. I thought the series would get better upon actually explaining its plot.

But last episode was kind of waaaaaay too soon to pull the "OK I trust you and will now actually tell you the plotACK I DIED" trope. It's kind of hilariously lame.

(I also kind of wish ghost would do more with its spooky ghosts theme, toqger and drive were so wonderfully on point with trains and cars. Nothing feels all that ghostly here. Kind of hope the GHOST DIMENSION will make the ganma feel just a little more like ghosts)

It's way better than Bleach.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

FortMax posted:

Amazing hit after amazing hit

Goddamn, thank you and your team for seriously kicking rear end on the releases. You guys make it a great time to be toku fans, seriously.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

jivjov posted:

Was it just me or was a lot of the fight in Ghost 11 taking place in locations they used for the Overlord's hangout in Helheim from Gaim?

Not just you, it definitely was! I was thinking that they were going to pull a Cid on Javel there when they took out Newton.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
His transformation sequence was amazing this time. 11 and 12 have been pretty drat good.

It's no Gavan, which, has been completely crazy amazing in the same amount of episodes, but it's still starting to grow into its own.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

jivjov posted:

For me After V is less about parodying Sentai directly (like Akibaranger was) and more just a literal after-work drama of these second rate heroes, and their interactions with the Evil Organization. The comedy comes from that rather than the Sentai stuff.

That said, finally seeing a full transformation and roll call was pretty great.

So it's like Sunred?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'm very sad that ghost 13 isn't up yet, but also am hopeful that the translation team is using this extra time to get themselves some time off and really just relax. Mainly because no one ever says 'you know what guys, we know you're people to, so please just relax and thanks for doing this for us people who can't understand the language.'

So.

You know what guys? I know you're people too, so please just relax and thanks for doing this for people like me who can't understand the language of the stupid kids show that I love to watch.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So is this it, is that abortion of a sentai finally over? Or does it still limp along for another two episodes until something better comes along?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Nininger was straight up bullshit and it only makes me want to watch Kakuranger to get the taste out of my mouth.

gently caress you, Nininger.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dexie posted:

gently caress Ninninger, watch Ghost instead.

Necrom's debut was pretty radical. They're doing some cool things with him. :stare:

Oh believe me, I am.

In addition to Ghost, I am watching Winspector and Gavan as they are released, both of them are pretty great.

Gavan is the best though, I highly recommend it if you have any love for Tokusatsu at all, it's just amazing all the time.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If you were hoping Ninninger at least had a good final battle, boy do I have bad news for you.

It wasn't a solo job by Takaharu, but still managed to be worse than both Kyoryuger and ToQger.

Considering the series was worse than both of those throughout, at least it's consistent.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

AzraelNewtype posted:

(guess who didn't actually watch a single episode of this show at a rate slower than zipping through every 50 frames to find trim points, welp me)

That still makes you a martyr in my book, that show was awful. You guys were wasted on that piece of dreck.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Fourze was cool and good, and so was Drive. If you hate these series, you're clearly a shocker plant who hates fun and niceness and wants to steal the smiles of everyone.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Elfgames posted:

pugs are man's greatest sin

edit also i never said i didn't like fourze i thought it was pretty okay same as wizard, i just felt that it was really bland outside of gentaro (and i was reminded that meteor's belt was pretty cool i had forgotten that) and the secondary cast is increadably awful

Thanks for the reminder that you have poor as gently caress taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Iirc that was something to do with that suit being far more comfortable and not back pain inducing than the base suit

Yeah, the Kiva suit was really unbalanced and clunky. They used real metal on the right leg, which made it look great, but a bitch to fight in.

• Locked thread