Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I liked Ep 1 but in its rush to establish itself tonally,it does the actual origin story a disservice

Shoulda been a two parter

I'm still looking forward to more, the groundwork they've lain here is fairly interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Okay yeah they're definitely going for a lighter tone and I'm liking it so far. I could use a lighter rider show right now!

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Bronze Octodad balancing plates on his head.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Between the shoddy wirework and the recycled effects I'm sort of worried about ghost's budget.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
That said, if this show is about saving people from demonic possession with the power of hugs? I can't be too mad at it.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't accept "there is a good scene (that you can watch on youtube)" as an argument in favor of a series' quality.

Same reason the Giant Enemy Crab scene doesn't count.

Edit I still stand by the opinion that Kabuto has the largest suit quality:show quality gap. All the suits just look so loving slick, and I will love the aesthetics of TheBee until the day I die.

I dunno, the Wizard suit looks good as hell and it's hard to get worse than Wizard.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I think Ghost is GOING to be good, it's just front-loading most of the setup that normally takes most toku shows like 25 episodes to get across.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I think part of it is that ghost lore and mythology is just different in Japan? It's not a 1:1 thing from there to Poltergeist.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
It's actually a really hard thing to do in a serialised show.
We've finished our first arc and returned to our status quo from the start of the show, but none of the character growth we've seen has been invalidated.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
....I like Gekiranger....

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Reports are saying that Ninnin will have the worst sales since Timeranger.

And nobody shed a single tear.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I'm quite fond of Ghost and I still wouldn't skip Drive for it.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I think that the old sage guy and Yurusen are the weakest parts of Ghost so far: they have a chance to add to scenes or give Takeru some direction to help flesh him out and...they're just there saying vague poo poo.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Miu should have been the protagonist of Fourze. :colbert:

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Dexie posted:

POWAH

DIZER

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Looks like Amazon is the next Rider to get a tribute for Super Hero Year, more details in 8 days.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
J's hand pose is one of my favorite poses.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
To be fair, Ghost hasn't had the pirate ship lizard for the last 20 episodes.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I watched Amazons.

It was good.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Specifically
I'm glad we spent so much time with Tokusatsu Special Unit 2. It made the overwhelming power of Alpha feel really weighty and important.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I have no idea where I heard this but wasn't the Foundation X plot originally intended to be a much bigger factor in all three shows?

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

nerdman42 posted:

The villains immediately seem a lot more interesting at least. The only thing I remember liking about the Greed was Weird Puppet Guy and the Green Jacket rear end in a top hat becoming the most devious and interesting one.

I'm not super fond of the plucky girl sidekick so far, but Shotaro and Phillip are great and need to kiss already.

Weird puppet guy is in Amazons and is the Hot Dad analogue in Ultraman X

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Larryb posted:

Same actor, don't remember who he was in Amazons though.

He's the director of international sales or whatever, Tachibana.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
The thing that bugs me about them is that they push a lot of the defining elements of the zyuranger costumes to the background in lieu of elements seen in modern western superheroes: accenting instead of contrast, techno-organic imagery, and so on.

The only thing the old costumes really kept as a primary design element were the sculpted lips, which I found terrible to begin with.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
They never really committed to it, which made every token appearance even worse.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
It was DEFINITELY intentional, to show how goddamn serious the Ganma take themselves (when they should not be taken seriously, just like basically every character on this show.)

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Mr. Belt is legit.

And his English is spotless.

That's because the dude is Japanese-American and grew up in California.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I hope that KR and Sentai continue to lean into the weird English and Americanisms of the past few series. Give me more fat Japanese-Canadian dudes like Ramires.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

that was like half of the joke though

Yeah this was Funny and Good imo

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

More superhero shows need to be about being a hero because it's right and not because you feel bad about a thing, namaste bitches

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
sounds like you should start with Agito, imo

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I thought there was a blade sub, did it stall out??

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
So I finished amazons, and I really like it overall. But it feels like a show that for a bunch of hasty rewrites in the back half when they realize they had a season 2. Is that just me?

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Burkion posted:

Garo is fantastic. Season 1 has one of the strongest finales of any toku and the first movie that caps it off is wonderful.

Avoid season 3 and 5 if you can help it.

The Metal Hero series are sadly not subbed very far, unless you want not great HK subs. Juspion is pretty fantastic but is also a huge outlier because it's all about fighting giant monsters- It's pretty far along though so you could start it without trouble. You might recognize the lead actor as the one who played the temporary Evil Ranger-Sorta character in Bioman.

With HK subs, even then the most you might stumble into is Space Sheriff Gavan, which has good subs up to a certain point, Sharivan and Shaider. Shaider might not fit with your tastes too well though, it's kind of made of drugs and is very silly.

Changeman and Liveman are both great 80s Sentai.

Kuuga is a great Rider series, though if you don't mind one that's a bit older, if you can track down V3 he's my absolute favorite above even Kuuga and Black, who I rank as my second favorite equally.

And if I can suggest something not on the table

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-nexus

Ultraman Nexus.

Watch Ultraman Nexus.

It's officially subbed and licensed. You don't have to worry about the history of the franchise at all. It's entirely in the same vein as Black only even more serious and twisted.

The only problem is the very last episode because they had to shove an entire 10 episode arc into 24 minutes because gently caress that TV network shoving Nexus into the kids time slot.

Nexus is a great awesome show and deserves a look see.

I started watching nexus last week and BOY are cr's subs some rough riding

show's pretty okay through thre eor four eps

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Ghost's first half was super compelling to me, because they introduced as many toys as quickly as they could, just to get them out of the way so they could get into the proper plot.
And then after the first arc was finished, they just dragged their heels forever. Igor is not a villain that needed to be around for more than 5 episodes, the Demia project plot is nothing. And because they're dragging it out so long you start to see that their characterization of Takeru is super thin! They could have been doing a lot more with the character and it's mostly squandered.

The cast has good chemistry and it's got a lot of style, so I'm still comfortable saying I like Ghost a fair amount. But it's such a waste of

heh

potential

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

I AM EDISON

I AM EDISON

ARE YOU EDISON

This owned actually

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
So a group picked up Kiva recently and seem to be committed to getting it done

I think that means that Faiz and Decade are the only heisei shows without a scrub going? (This is assuming Sub Vent and OrangeLion are still committed to Ryuki and Den-O)

John McClane fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 10, 2016

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
https://raillersubs.wordpress.com

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
YoY is already up to 46 on kabuto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Just noticed krdl.info is shutting down in October