Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

In case you were curious about the new Garo anime, it's pretty bad but the music is loving great.

RE: the new subs of the original Garo, were the old ones done by GomenRider just a TV-N scrub? I think I remember reading that somewhere but I have no idea if it's legit or not.

I'm pretty sure Gomen Rider redid them. They could be a bit clunky though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think that's because the general consensus is, with the majority of the Heisei Rider series after Agito, that they'd be fine/good/great if it wasn't for X.

Usually X is "a lovely ending" or "going off the rails", which Ryuki and Faiz, and Kabuto and Den-O are most guilty of.

Agito is fine but introduces us to the world of Inoue and all of his writing gimmicks for better and worse, and often the fight scenes REALLY suffered, being shoved to the end of an episode and then ending abruptly.

Blade is likely the best Heisei Rider series as a whole, post Kuuga- only ITS x factor is the fact that it's subs are presently incoherent.

For better or worse, while as of Double things got super formulaic and increasingly toy centric with Kamen Rider, it's also gotten a lot more stable. Now instead of having half of a good series and half of an awful one (Hibiki, Kiva, in two different ways!) we just get either Good, Okay, or Bad seasons. W being the stand out of the new group, Wizard being the low point, the others all vying for whatever position they land in.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Though to be fair, Kuuga did that too at times. In fact, Kuuga's finale is (I believe) the only episode in the entire franchise where a Kamen Rider makes no appearance whatsoever.

See, here's the difference. Kuuga did that every now and again, yes, though often it was in the build up to a much bigger fight- Agito does it on a pretty regular basis, at the last two minutes, and then resolves it in the opening of the next episode really fast. If it bothers to. Some times it just forgets the fights happened.

Also, the fact that Kuuga did not appear in the finale is entirely story related and quite appropriate. I don't know why you would even want Kuuga to be in the finale. It was more of an epilogue anyways.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, I looked him up because I couldn't remember just which KRs he was responsible for (answer: way too loving many), and I learned two three things:

1. Toshiki Inoue even looks like an evil scientist in a Kamen Rider series.

2. He's also behind the anime of Yu-Gi-Oh, which explains so much.

Edit for 3. And Zyuranger and Timeranger? What? :psyduck:

I can only imagine he wasn't the main force behind those two in the last one.

He WAS the main guy behind Jetman which explains way too much for my burning hate for that stupid show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's sad is this kind of thing is not out of the usual for him.

I have a lot of issues with Jetman- like, a lot- but after it turned Fo Serious Yo, one of the first things to happen is the Black Condor cornering White Swan in an elevator, physically not allowing her to leave, and getting very, very touchy and rapey around her.

So the fact that Inoue, when not constrained by a kids TV show label, when he's already pulling poo poo like that, would pull poo poo like that? Not a surprise.

AND HEY GUYS NOW HE'S ONE OF THE WRITERS OF THE NEW GARO ANIME

loving JOY TO THE WORLD

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omnicrom posted:

Honestly I think it's mostly because of Jetman. As much as Burkion hates the poo poo out of Jetman a LOT of Sentai fans hold it in very high regard consider it one of the best in the franchise. To a certain tedious portion of the fanbase Jetman was the last good SERIOUS MATURE sentai series before Zyuranger ruined it forever by making their kid's show a show for kids. Also people remember Agito fondly. Really Inoue has been steadily employed for years, so sadly he isn't going anywhere.

I can have a reputation of being one of the grognards who only likes older things and SERIOUS MATURE stuff.

While I prefer serious over silly, especially the weird self referential stuff Sentai tends to devolve into, I have never had any illusions about Super Sentai being a kids show. I mean, for the love of Christ, the single most serious and dramatic Sentai series, Liveman, had a weaponized skateboard because it's a show literally made for kids.

Jetman was a show I really wanted to watch and enjoy because I heard a lot of good things about it. And then I watched it and holy poo poo nope.

I have no idea how anyone thinks this is a serious mature ANYTHING. People like to joke about the Noodlecup monster, but the problem is that he's not a joke- he's literally just a MOTW and if anything, his episode was one of the more straight faced ones! Hell at least his design was good- the other stupid monsters in the entire first half of Jetman are all god awful and unimaginative, often just giving whatever object it is a generic green monster man body and being done with it.

When things do get serious, it's not actually serious- it's melodramatic soap opera fair that is peak Inoue. The majority of the cast are unlikable, the action sucks, the giant robots AND monsters are boring- Jetman is an awful Sentai series.

At least Zyuranger had fantastically creative monsters and good action scenes, never mind how I feel about the children of the week plots and tone. I seriously do not understand how Jetman has the reputation it has. The entire first half is filled with stuff that would fit better in Carranger or GoOnger, and when it does get 'serious' it's really awful and boring. The final episode can also sit and spin for all its worth.

Bioman best Sentai for the record. Insane nonstop action with lasers and explosions 24/7 every day.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FortMax posted:

Bioman 40

Monster and Juo steal a car to go on a joyride. And Juo seems to watch The Beverly Hillbillies.

AS WELL HE SHOULD

(thank you)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FortMax posted:

In the last week, I've gotten scripts for the rest of the episodes. Only thing I don't have yet is the movie.

You are a saint and I love you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Two batches, 4 seeds currently. So the entire series is completed.

I guess I'll have to watch the final few episodes again.

When I watched RX it was with the HK subs, which were pretty decent for HK subs (so long as you didn't want to know anyone's name and didn't care about grammar TOO much) and then I think the person doing them got a stroke or something and some one else picked up where he left off and just made up a bunch of bullshit about Superman RX and I THINK some homophobic slurs?

Maybe this will make me reappreciate and like RX!

It's not going to but hey I believe in giving a series a proper chance.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Black Superman Black RX has arrived! And with him stands

Black Superman V3!
Black Superman!
Black Superman (again!)
and yamaxun

But what force could possibly ever call forth such mighty Supermen of superior Blackness?

Strongest Queer Guy?!

STRONGEST QUEER GUY, JIfuckyoufuckyoufuckyou

This is

EXACTLY

the quality of the last few episodes of the HK RX subs. They honestly made the entire show worth it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, if your world needs saving 4 black supermen and yamaxun seem like they could handle it.

Saving specifically from the Strongest Queer Guy, this cannot be understated.

It's like a really awful South Park joke

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reds posted:

MFC just put out the first six episodes of Space Sheriff Gavan, by the way.

Time to see just how trippy Makuu Space can get.

Trippy enough that not a single modern take has EVER managed to surpass it.

Space Sheriff Gavan is a series I truly adore and love the hell out of, with HK subs that are just kind of bad but still understandable, so this is super exciting for me.

It's also a series that is loving awful to try to marathon watch because of how much footage it recycles.

Transformation stock footage is always a little bit annoying but usually it doesn't stop the flow of an episode, and some times it can even work WITH the flow of an episode.

Gavan's transformation is fine the first few times, but HOLY poo poo it gets obnoxious over his series. There you go, having a nice fun action packed episode, and then he does an awesome pose and transforms! And then the episode stops, the narrator kicks in, and you spend TWICE AS LONG OR LONGER seeing what you've already seen.

Still some of the best Toku ever made though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cernunnos posted:

Anything as good as "Black Superman Black RX" and "STRONGEST QUEER GUY" in those HK subs?

Nah, they're the more intelligible style while still being bad. I think Space Sheriff became Universal Sargent, Gavan became Gaban (usually) and the BEMs became Weirdos. Other than that it was mostly a bunch of garbled English that was technically understandable.

The one fun thing was that Makku was changed to Satan, so Gavan was fighting Don Horror leader of Satan for the entire run.

The real problem was the video quality- they were not great! Well that and some episodes the subs decided to become gray blocks that kinda looked like the shape of words but you know how that goes. Or you don't. Either way!

I had gotten the Sharivan HK dvds but they were awful. The rips looked like they were straight from a poor VHS tape and some times the episode would just fastforward randomly and it just made the entire thing unwatchable, and I've never been able to find a decent quality Sharivan online.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Hey! That costume and those effects cost a LOT OF MONEY you better believe we're gonna show them as often as possible to get our money's worth! You think those sets look cheap for fun? No! We took money from the set budget to make that shiny-rear end-bastard and then they told us it was barely going to be in the show! Man, you rotten kids today with your dirt bikes and and your....your... poo poo....what else do kids like these days? Yoshi? Do you know?

(the toku producer scene, chapter 2, scene 3.)

That does bring to mind another thing about Gavan that I love.

Note that I love costumes, I love suit acting. I always have it's what got me into the whole thing to start. So I take notice and do research on a lot of the stuff behind certain things.

It's why the lame Jetman monsters piss me off so much because so many of them are so cheap and generic and awful.

Gavan has one of the best designs ever for a toku hero, one that's not at all dated beyond the buttons on his chest. The problem was that Gavan's also one of the only toku heroes to have a costume that COULD NEVER BE USED IN A SERIES. At least not when he was first made.

Gavan is supposed to be chrome all over, and you can see this, very briefly, in some of the opening shots, some of the promo shots, and the early stock footage of the finisher attack.

What you can also see is why they could never use the chrome hero suit in the series proper- even with as little use as it got it already looked damaged as all hell and would have been a NIGHTMARE to film.

The Hero Suit for a production that requires heavy costume work is the one that's used for close ups and big important moments. In classic Toku, up to at the least the 90s, it's also the suit you see used the least, often in just the first episode or first few, and then it might come back in the last few episodes.

Otherwise the suit you see is the Stunt Suit, which is made of cheaper materials and is generally lower quality and can get pretty beaten up.

The use of the two still happens to this day, though they do a better job of hiding the stunt suit then they ever tried to back in the day. It does, however, make the use of the stunt suit all the more glaring, as anyone who remembers the really bad Birth suit or some of the Gaim suits can attest.

Back in the day the stunt suit was used primarily, and it did help give the series a certain feeling of progression. Notably with Kamen Rider Black, by the end of the series the stunt suit was dirty, beaten up, damaged, and just worn out looking which lent itself to his rebirth perfectly in the final few episodes where they brought back the hero suit, which was all nice and clean looking.

Gavan never ever ever used the Hero suit for the series, and the stunt suit was made of a much different material than any other Metal Hero. He's got a very soft, rubber feel to his design, and the color is this weird off white or gray depending on which suit they're using. It makes the suit look entirely different compared to what it should look like, though there are advantages to it. Notably the biggest one, it's able to shrug off those millions of explosions per minute it has to every episode!

So anyone who is watching Gavan from Gokaiger to this and wondering what is wrong with his suit- there you go!

The only other toku hero I can think of with a difference this extreme between Stunt and Hero suit would be the original Kikaider.

The original Kikaider had a lot of techy detail in his hero suit and the circuits and gears across his suit were done much better, plus he had light up eyes. The Stunt Suit got rid of most of the techy detail and turned the circuits into just random undetailed bands on parts of his body.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Literally The Worst posted:

didnt the gavan movie retcon the buttons as like medals

I'm going to be entirely honest with you.

The Gavan movie wasn't that great outside of the times when original Gavan beat the poo poo out of new Gavan for being a pansy.

So I may or may not remember very little from that movie beyond original Gavan beating the poo poo out of new Gavan for being a pansy.

I will also say this!

The Sharivan movie is a war crime against tokustatsu and Metal Heroes in general and should be dragged into a dark alley and shot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I still haven't watched Gavan or Sharivan yet, but is the Shaider movie good? I'll watch it eventually either way, just for Iwanaga, but it'd be good to know if I should look forward to it or not.

Holy poo poo I didn't even know the Shaider movie was out.

Uh, I'll get back to you!

EDIT: Oh holy poo poo I combined the Sharivan and Shaider movies in my head.

No wonder I had such a knee jerk hateful reaction when trying to remember what the Sharivan movie was about.

Uh, Shaider is...

Okay. Here's the thing. The Gavan movie is pretty well stand alone beyond introducing new Sharivans and Shaiders. The Sharivan movie is really weird because it has no idea what kind of movie it wants to be but it sets up an interesting plot that gets carried over into Shaider.

Shaider on the flip side is very consistent with what it wants to be, which is very light hearted and comedic- it just shits all over that plot and makes the entire 'trilogy' feel like a wet fart. So if you don't mind a really silly conclusion that utterly destroys the story, the Shaider movie is at the very least better than Sharivan.

The Gavan movie is the best of the lot if only because it's actually consistent.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 4, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

im like 90% sure that was the explanation for the new gavan not having any buttons on his chest

Honestly that could very well be it, I just could have sworn they actually did something in the original series. Like holograms or some poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shaezerus posted:

I personally loved the Sharivan movie. :colbert: Then again most pre-2000s tokusatsu just doesn't grab me for one reason or another so I'm not in a place to stack it up to the source material or its franchise.

Also it's got Ryoma Baba being a smug prick and that alone is worth price of admission because he is so good at it.

The weirdest thing about the Sharivan movie for me was how disparate it was with its tone. You have literal crime bosses and drug dealers and gangsters and stuff, the weird subversion of the usual 'hero gets second win and defeats the badguy who was using drugs to make himself more powerful' by having the HERO be the one using the drugs... and more bloodshed than I've seen in Toku in a LONG rear end time...

But also a very weirdly soft take on how the heroes win. Namely they just...arrest the bad guys. That's not how the Space Sheriffs...work and it especially doesn't work with how the Gavan movie was or the tone this very movie was trying to present.

The entire thing just kind of left me feeling cold. It was too half hearted I think. I liked the idea of Horror Girl being behind all of it because that's hilarious and a great call back to the fact that she's the only survivor of the Makku, but then Shaider happened and that got washed down the drain.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FortMax posted:

The Space Sheriffs, Juspion and Spielban each had three distinct suits for their heroes. The chrome hero suit (which for Juspion was almost entirely limited to the end credits), a stunt suit made of glossy hard plastic, and a different stunt suit made from some sort of flexible plastic. And depending on what was required for the shot, they'd mix and match the hard and soft suits.

And the soft suits really stood out. Toei tried to lessen this with Sharivan by having sparkly stuff in the soft stunt suit, but it didn't really work that well.

Yeah, the white suit for Gavan is the plastic one and the gray is the soft one I think- I wasn't even aware they had a chrome suit for Juspion to be honest!

With Gavan the soft suit was the one used most for his series. Sharivan I never noticed the difference between his soft and plastic suits, but that's more because I've only seen Sharivan with the poo poo quality DVDs I mentioned.

I'm a sucker for chrome and super shiny things, so I love the idea of it, but it was such a terrible concept to try to take into tokustatsu especially at this point. Even nowadays I don't think they could make a series using the Gavan chrome suit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

There'd be a lot of CG like GARO, but GARO has enough shiny gold suit action that I don't think it's off the table. Maybe it wouldn't work with shows that are supposed to run full years though. Also GARO shows that they finally have enough CG skill/budget in Japan to fake it pretty well, as it's legit pretty okay in GOLDSTORM. It had to be though, because they only had one suit actor.

Everything I hear about Goldstorm just makes me sadder and sadder. At least the effects are getting better... :smith:

I'll be doing my watch through of Goldstorm as soon as I and fellow goon Seer are done with season 4. We've taken a sporadic approach to watching it mostly due to work and such. Season 4, for the record, is really fantastic. Gonza should be in every series and should always get a focus episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Jetman had that episode with the bus that made people kill themselves which was awesome.

Also the final battle was awesome and ULTIMATE ENDING SPOILER DON'T READ UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN JETMAN OR GOKAIGERGai's death is a really great message on how life is really loving fragile and can be extinguished at random and the ultimate victory is to be lucky/determined enough to have our final moments be filled with peace and meaning.

That's cute.

You're cute.

The Bus episode is one of the worst episodes of Sentai I have ever seen. Good job picking that first.

Why?

Any other series, *ANY* other Sentai, it could have been a stand out. There's a mysterious force killing people every time they go into a tunnel! WHAT COULD IT BE! Tense, atmospheric, serious-

Any other Sentai it could have worked. Except for Jetman.

ESPECIALLY Jetman.

First and foremost, let's get the most pedantic poo poo out of the way. Why the gently caress are they taking a bus to Yellow's farm? They have jets. It's in their name. They literally can fly there in five minutes. White does not like Yellow enough to waste that much time with him.

She's literally kicked him in the nuts for no reason and abused him on several occasions just a scant few episodes earlier.

Second, and the most damning of all- Our heroes are loving stupid and act like idiots and get people killed. Our heroes act like they're scared and confused and helpless, but they just keep RIDING THE BUS WHILE PEOPLE DIE HORRIBLY.

They never think, hey, let's stop the bus, get out, and call for backup. Something weird is going on here.

That should have been their number one option- instead it never, EVER occurs to them! The first time some one died, that should have been it! NOPE. Instead we're just gonna keep riding this bus and keep watching people die pointlessly!

Third, why didn't the bus loving kill them! They were in as much danger as anyone else, they sure as gently caress weren't in a position to stop it, and the bus HAD to of known that they were White and Yellow! It NEVER attempted to kill them even though presumably that's what it was supposed to do. Like it never even tried. It just kept killing everyone else around them and they let it do that.

Fourth and most damning of all, the thing that kills the entire episode- There was no mystery our heroes are dumb as bricks. Broken bricks that can't even be useful for holding poo poo up.

The villain's entire MO, their entire theme, every single teeny tiny plot they've ever done in the whole of the series up to this point, and we are in the double digits by this episode, have been every day objects turned into monsters.

Including objects that appear to be normal but are secretly monsters.

Including objects that are big enough to have people inside of them.

THERE WAS A MONSTER BUILDING.

THERE WAS A MONSTER JET IN THE SECOND GODDAMN EPISODE

The very instant some one died they should have realized that at least SOME part of the bus was a monster, maybe the seat cushions, if not the entire thing.

This is like the Ghost Busters getting on a ghost bus and not realizing that it's a ghost bus WHILE IT ACTS LIKE A GHOST BUS THE ENTIRE GODDAMN TIME until it calls itself a Ghost Bus.

ALL THEY EVER DEAL WITH ARE OBJECTS TURNED INTO MONSTERS WHY ARE THEY SO STUPID. No child on EARTH would have been fooled by this half baked idea, and they stretch it out for the entire God drat episode.

And then

Just to Top Off this whole loving travesty of an episode

THE BUS LOOKS STUPID AS poo poo.

The inside of it is nice what little we see with lots of Thing tentacles and weird fleshy bits

But the outside?

It's a bus with a growly face and red eyes and the generic bumpy green monster arms and legs

OH NO

WHATEVER WILL WE

Go to hell Bus episode.

Go all the way to Hell.

The action sucked the heroes were worse than worthless the villains sucked the MONSTER sucked the writing was god awful even for abysmally low standards that Jetman set for itself, and worst of all

Gai was the best character because he didn't say a drat thing the entire time he was on screen but just looked really sad to be going to Yellow's farm at the end.

For one brief shining moment Gai, I feel for you bro.

The other I won't touch on because I think the loving BUS EPISODE rant is enough bile from me today on this particular topic. Just that no, it's not that great, and no it doesn't carry any great meaning, because Inoue is a hack who gets lucky and goes for shock value more than anything meaningful.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

burkion continues to be the wrongest human being to not come from bizarro-earth

You don't know where I come from

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cernunnos posted:

I've always been under the assumption that you came from an alternate universe where the events of Bioman were a thing that actually happened. :v:

jivjov posted:

Burk actually comes from Makuu Space. That's why his posts are so non-Euclidian.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

What the hell happened? LTW has a good opinion and Burkion is spouting crazy stuff about Jetman being bad?

If this is bizarro world I don't want to leave because here Ghost has been pretty good.

Be fair

I never once said anything bad about that man's abs.

Those are a gift for all

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FortMax posted:

Sharivan hard suit:

Sharivan soft suit:

Juspion hero suit:

Holy poo poo that soft suit. That is so much worse than Gavan's. It's kind of amazing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am so happy I never got into these collectible gimmicks. That Metalder is so tempting for so many reasons.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm still working on my original tokusatsu inspired comic.

Lot of stuff going on in the preproduction stuff but soon I hope to have a pretty exciting announcement about it. And then next month MORE announcements! Wee!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still think Kamen Rider Super 1 is the lightest of the Rider series.

Not that anyone is subbing it right now but you know.

Well the second half of Super 1.

Where he fights basketball men and bars of soap.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Soon it will be finished.

Soon it will be done.

I can't loving wait. Going to be so good!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So in the spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas and mostly because I want to as celebration for Bioman nearing completion- Gather round everybody! It's time for the origins of Burk and his love for Toku and Bioman in particular!

So for the first four months of my existence I was believed to be an ulcer, then I was born a full month later than I was supposed to, and then I caught scarlet fever shortly there after.

None of those are jokes and all of that is true.

I pretty well have to start that early, because I have been a fan of tokusatsu for longer than I can remember. Mostly thanks to my grandfather being a big Godzilla fan, I was introduced to it at basically infancy and have never really strayed. Godzilla is the alpha and omega of so much of my interests and obsessions- I know for a fact that the reason I watched MMPR initially was because of Godzilla. The Dragon Zord was my favorite thing in that show but I also just loved the giant monsters and robots fighting it out. I remember being less interested in episodes at the time when the Dragon Zord WOULDN'T be in it and I wanted a Dragon Zord toy for Christmas for many, many, many years. Never did get one.

Regardless! As I grew older I grew to love Power Rangers for just being Power Rangers and not just my Dragonzord affections, though Godzilla would still tie me into the toku genre as a whole many more times later. When I was still but a child in the 90s, there was a Monstervision Godzilla Marathon that my dad recorded for me on an 8 hour VHS tape. It got me a whole bunch of Godzilla movies I had never seen, and at the end of that tape were three episodes of my now favorite Super hero in the world- UltraSeven.

I was hooked on UltraSeven but wasn't able to catch anymore episodes because of how weird TNT scheduled their poo poo. So for the next decade that tape was my sole glimpse into tokusatsu that existed beyond the Fox channel.

Ultraman Tiga caught my eye because it reminded me a LOT of UltraSeven and got me to look up info on it on the Internets in the super early 2000s- it never occurred to me to do so before the. I joined a Godzilla fan forum, got involved in the community, and met a like minded toku nerd. Well I met several but one in particular is to blame here.

It was the mid 2000s and I was looking up stuff about various weird and wonderful sounding Tokustatsu series, but all I had was dial up so actually watching any of them was, to say the least, difficult. So that friend I made on the forum and I got to talking and we decided to do some trading and stuff.

He sent me DVDs he made of various VHS transfers he had, including some movies I hadn't heard of before, but most importantly some episodes of UltraSeven the TNT dub that I didn't get to see back in the day and some MST3K.

On one of the discs, he included the only episode of Super Sentai he had, an English Dubbed version of Bioman.

It was one of my favorite things ever and it would be YEARS before I could see more. I enjoy good violence, creative villains, cool monsters, and fun action in my super hero work. It's one reason why UltraSeven is the king of it all.

I don't care if the story is particularly deep so long as it is fun and inoffensive. Bioman presented a near perfect first episode to me, with great foot soldiers, instantly interesting main villains, and fairly interesting main heroes. Plus fire swords, flying rigs, and an extended giant robot throw down.

It was everything I ever wanted and asked for from a Super Sentai or Power Ranger series. The dub wasn't entirely terrible either, considerably more serious than the UltraSeven dub, if with worse voice actors.

From here I looked into various places where I could find other tokusatsu series online- I slowly but surely downloaded the first episode of Kamen Rider Fiaz from TvN, which I remember taking literally a month or more due to dial up bullshit.

Then I found a website that sold bootleg DVDs of toku stuff, and the first things I got from it were an English subbed 90s UltraSeven movie, part of the 99 UltraSeven Evolution series, and my first real Kamen Rider- ZO!

After that I nabbed Kamen Rider Black and Space Sheriff Sharivan, the former of which became a favorite of mine and the latter, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, was nigh unwatchable. The last thing I grabbed from that website was the 2001-2002 portion of the UltraSeven Evolution series, also English Subbed.

Finally near the late end of 2009, I got actual internet that wasn't loving Dial Up, and I got to look into all of those series I had read about for years and years but never gotten to see like a really fat goon in a bacon and candy store.

One of the very first I tracked down was, of course, more English dubbed Bioman. I also tried to get into Jetman which I heard many great things about, though the subs for it at the time were apparently worse than TvN from what I remember reading so I never bothered with it much.

Then years later I discovered GUIS fansubs and others and their Sentai work. The rest is history.

Bioman is seriously, to me, the perfect 1980s Sentai. The only real knock against it is a lack of MOTW...but instead it had long running villains and a different giant robot monster every episode. The character work isn't great, but it doesn't really have to be especially compared to other shows of the era. The team exudes competence and the villains are just as competent and menacing. Bio Hunter Silva is a fantastic out of nowhere threat to throw into the mix that exploits continuity in a pretty fun way that wouldn't become common until much later. None of the characters are particularly annoying, and even the comic relief villains can be extremely cool and have some very awesome traits, like loyalty.

It's also decidedly the first real actually Serious Super Sentai, completing the step away from the overt silliness that Dynaman began the march from. Everything is played straight and it's a glorious fun show because of it.

It might not be the best Sentai, but it is my favorite because I can enjoy every episode without hesitation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You guys just want me to do an episode by episode love review of this show don't you

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FortMax posted:

We're doing Changeman and Flashman after we get the remaining Bioman episodes out.

Changeman I'm not AS excited about because tehre are some decent subs done by DeadFish that I happen to still have.

Flashman I am ecstatic about

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

Well, you most certainly don't have a complete set of Changeman subs from DeadFish, because they skipped a few episodes. If GUIS' release is basically just those, plus muxing/styling the DeadFish subs against the newer raws to match, it will still be a worthwhile release.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong- I'd love to have better quality for the episodes and the episodes that got passed over.

But it's the same reason why I wouldn't be AS excited about Metalder subs being done, when simultaneously Jiban subs got announced. I have fairly decent versions of one, don't have the other!

Jiban is a really good show by the by

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

Hikikimori's?

I really hope that Akari will create a tech based rider suit at some point for the monk. It would be a fun thematic thing to do....but it's never going to happen is it?

Does she have a penis? Even a hypothetical one like Chase?

No?

Then I'm sorry she cannot be a Rider because Japan is awful.

Well be a Rider and LIVE anyways.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RED ALERT

RED ALERT

RED ALERT

BEST EARLY HEISEI RIDER SERIES INCOMING

THIS IS NOT A DRILL THIS IS NOT A DRILL

gently caress yes gently caress yes gently caress yes gently caress YES

For all of the problems Nexus had with its conclusion, this is still the best loving thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ignis posted:

I am probably missing an in-joke or something here

More of a personal joke. When I was watching Ultraman Nexus for the first time, it reminded me so much of the tone and style that a lot of Heisei Rider tried for before Den-O, only it did it SO much better.

That and Nexus loves his Rider Kicks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To celebrate further Bioman have

FURTHER ULTRAMAN NEXUS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRZIx9Hp_Ro

Such a fantastic time to be a toku fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVsk7CApVk

For those who don't know how awesome the first theme song is.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 2, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

You sure it doesn't feel more to you like a post-Decade Rider? Because, well, take a look at these credits.

I wish Post Decade Rider was like Nexus.

I wish more Toku could be like Nexus.

Honest question because I genuinely don't know- have you seen Nexus before, Az?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well I mean I like it so it's clearly more like the old things I like and not like the new things I hate.

Speaking of Pre-Den O poo poo, I watched Ryuki recently and boy that show is a roller-coaster when it comes to quality. When it's good it's great but boy when it's not it's some really poorly made, poorly shot poo poo.

You really love to antagonize me about really dumb poo poo you seem to think I believe.

I'm not sure why. There are plenty of newer series that I love- including Garo season 4 which is fantastic. Seriously man, I'm talking about a...well it used to be new...modern series and comparing it to Modern Series. The only reason I draw the distinction between New Heisei Rider and Old is because of the very obvious, very stark tone shift between them. There is a huge difference between what Double tried to do and what Blade tried to do.

Nexus falls more in line with the latter in tone and feel.

I don't want to say much about Nexus because half of the joy is experiencing the batshit plot twists and character developments and the sheer tone and themes of the series yourself. Just know that it's way more like Agito than it is Double.

Imagine if you removed Inoue from Agito but kept the quality. It's kind of like that but better and more depressing. loving Faust man.

Nexus' main problem was that it was written as an adult show and aimed at an older audience- but got screwed over and put on the kids timeslot by the network.

This isn't bullshit from me complaining about Japanese kids shows either- this is literally the truth. The show did not do well at all in its time slot because of what they did with it, so it got cancelled ten episodes early, making the ending rushed. Still a better ending then most of Heisei Rider though.

Ironically when they later aired it on Late Night timeslots it did much, much better, and paved the way for other adult Tsuburaya shows, like Ultra Q Dark Fantasy and UltraSeven X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm just poking fun at you because like 90% of the time you talk about how good something is you qualify it by comparing it to the older stuff that you have a very obvious love that you gravitate to.

To be more serious, Nexus feels more like the newer Garo shows or the more serious moments in Gaim or Drive. There's a lot more clarity, for lack of a better word, with how the story and characters unfold and express themselves than something like Ryuki or Faiz, which plays characters and story beats really weirdly close to their chest.

I'm expressing this thought pretty badly, but I guess it just feels a bit more purposeful than early Heisei era Rider's which felt very amateurish, like they were feeling out what they wanted to do when it came to story/script and their overall production.

I have a hard time comparing Nexus and Gaim mostly because of the silliness of Gaim.

Though you do have a point with the more serious side of Gaim- Imagine if Gaim got to be serious 90% of the time. Like, death of Sid serious, Michi going nutso Serious.

That's about how Nexus averages out.

Garo isn't a bad comparison either, though with one huge difference I don't want to spoil.

EDIT: Oh one absolutely huge thing

Do not watch TV Nihon's subs of Nexus.

They're either Blade territory or worse.

They honest to God get a major, HOLY poo poo, plot point completely wrong and make it the exact opposite of what it was supposed to be. Thankfully you won't have to worry about those subs for much longer and there were better subs done by a different group anyways! Or at least more accurate subs

Burkion fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 2, 2015

• Locked thread