Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
With Faiz the best way to handle it is to only watch about halfway through and then watch Paradise Lost to act as a finale(I'm kinda biased though as Paradise Lost was one of my first exposures to Rider, and I'm still of the opinion that it's one of the best pre-Decade Rider movies)

Also with Decade, there's an edit of Movie Wars 2010(that cuts out the Double and Crossover segments of the movie) that someone made that I need to dig up that acts as a final episode for Decade that actually works pretty well in that context, with All Riders vs Dai-Shocker being moved to after the series instead of during it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm surprised no one's made any jokes yet about one of the villains looking like Narutaki's Hillbilly/British cousin(seriously seeing that guy's teeth made my mouth hurt)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Never watch Boukenger.

Well I've already watched some of Boukenger, really hope someone besides TVN subs it someday, especially since it has some of my favorite Suit and Mecha designs in the franchise(Ultimate Dai-Bouken is still probably the best full combination mech the franchise has had)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

The Gaim Gaiden showed a bit more about his roots and reinforces the "Kaito thinks that he, himself, is weak" idea. After his father sold the factory, he basically became a drunk (whether it was due to the loss of the factory or the suitcase full of money or both is left vague) and abused him and his mother and drove her to suicide by overdose. Kaito's father in turn does the same, but by hanging.

wow that's dark

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

wut

also got the Shout Factory Zyuranger set for Christmas, and so far it's pretty good, up to episode 5, and it's surprising that they haven't gotten to Daizyujin yet, also Dora Sphinx is rather interesting(the amount of emphasis on his human form leads me to assume it's played by some celebrity, if so does anyone have more info), and Bandora is an amazingly petty villain(it's interesting that she manages to both be more of a threat compared to Rita, but is much goofier too)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

For me at least a good Toku fight is one with a good usage of the character's gimmicks, Lord knows how irritating it is seeing a character who's supposed to be primarily a gun user spend most of the fight using it as an extremely awkward club, this is one of the main things I disliked about OOO, that show was awful in regards to both fight choreography and gimmick usage

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zyuranger has so far had pretty good fight choreography, also for being incredibly goofy, Dora Circe is also pretty drat terrifying, think it has to do with how it's victims react to it's actions(also that fat kid's pants falling off is hilarious)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

mynameishong posted:

Is there any reliable way to see Mechanical Violator Hakaider?

I believe it had an official release on D&D here in the west actually

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

15 episodes into Zyuranger and it continues to be most excellent, Witch Bandora and the Dora Monsters are shaping up to be my favorite Sentai villains, and a serious competitor for favorite Toku villains(got some serious competition from the Kamen Rider side of things though)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

I agree whole heartedly. It's a huge reason why I'm glad the design did change, and is more bulky. It's a sign of respect towards the actor.

I love Fujioka a lot, and I'm super stoked he's getting what seems like a solo movie after 45 years.

It's worth noting that part of the reason for the new suit is probably so they can do a mask off scene, the new suit would look a lot better on him than the original suit would these days

Also it's kinda hilarious that apparently the new Shocker offshoot's main shtick is apparently being in control of World Finances, makes me wonder if a new version of Big Machine will be in charge of it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

They'll probably just go with regular Shocker like usual. Also out of curiousity, where exactly did the Skull Suit grunts commanly associated with Shocker come from? As I seem to remember the grunts in the original Kamen Rider being red-suited men with no masks. In fact I don't remember any of the grunts in the Showa era Kamen Riders looking quite like that (though Destron from V3 is kind of close). Now admitedly I haven't seen the first series all the way through (just what's been subbed and the final episode) so correct me if I'm wrong.

Same page that revealed Rider 1's new suit also revealed that two different Shocker factions are involved this time around, OG Shocker(lead by Ambassador Hell), and Nova Shocker, whose evil specialty is apparently running the global economy from the shadows, also the two don't get along, as for the iconic Shocker grunts, they first appear with a Shocker Commander from Mexico, although they stick around after his defeat until the Original Shocker is replaced by Gel Shocker

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm kinda digging the little announcer voice for the mecha

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elfgames posted:

you guys are being really hard on takeru

probably cause he came right after a really strong main character in Shinnosuke

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah I think that's one of the reasons Hibiki AR is one of the best liked of the ones introduced in Decade(I'm actually kinda surprised they haven't used the existence of the AR worlds as an excuse to replace past Riders with new actors after Decade ended)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raserys posted:

I doubt they're going to skip Furry Sentai, animals are way more marketable here than trains.

It would also mean adapting the next sentai as it happens.

I really hope that after Ninja Steel, Saban will ditch Nickelodeon cause their asinine scheduling is just a terrible thing for the franchise

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Elfgames posted:

yeah but saban got rid of torrin and replaced him with...that thing.

I'll admit I still find it weird that they did that, only reason I can think of is that the Torrin suit must have fallen apart rather quickly after they wrapped up Kyoryuger

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OZC posted:

Those were the black medals from Movie War Core. OOO never used them for a combo though, they just ended up creating the giant flaming evil Rider after whatever the hell happened in OOO's portion of the crossover. I dunno, I tuned out from most of that other than the Skull portion.

I'm still amazed they didn't use those for a movie form, hell they haven't even got one of those magazine only SIC statues like a bunch of other weird miscellaneous crap has

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So if I wanted to buy Battride War 3, which is cheaper, buying a physical copy off PlayAsia or buying it off the JP PSN store?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

AzraelNewtype posted:

It also has fewer lines than an average episode of Ghost, despite the runtime.

Remember that Amazon JP ships games outside of Japan at last.

In the end I decided to just buy it digitally off the JP PSN store after buying the needed Yen through PlayAsia

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

That cat's definitely not coming back, and you know there were people who were trapped in buildings or tripped while running. Genis definitely hosed up that entire town in a big way.

What do you think the Super Sentai villain record for highest ludicrous body count is? I know there was that one guy in Dekaranger that they brought up on charges of Space Landsharking of 13 planets, presumably resulting in the death or displacement of probably at least 100 billion sentient life forms.

Don't know about Sentai, but on the Kamen Rider side of things, it's probably Spider Dopant of all things(at least when not counting any time travel related shenanigans), at least for onscreen kills

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I don't really watch the crossover movies so I can't really compare, but in Kuuga the grongi actually kept track of their kills.

Not a ludicrously high number but still morbid amidst how campy it all was.

As far as I'm aware none of the Grongi kill more than a couple dozen people(not counting that one that goes nuclear for some reason when it blows up), Spider Dopant kills at least several hundred people during his final rampage, possibly even several thousand depending on how many people got killed by the explosions he caused(and this is just with a basic Gaia Memory, can't imagine how much stronger Spider would be using that belt that Nazca uses, or a T2 version)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

gourdcaptain posted:

Ugh, the Spider Dopant thing has always annoyed me because well, it depends on those spider bomb things not going away when the monster is defeated, like happens in most Toku series, and even W itself. Entirely as a justification for Akiko's dad being right in being an absentee father, because you see, otherwise the spider bombs would blow him and her up. Mind you, it's nowhere near the worst thing in Movie Wars Core, but it's annoying.

In terms of monster mass kills, do have to mention when Roshuo in Gaim redirected nuclear missiles launched at him back at USA. And that there's mention at the end of the series of aid work still going on in America. So in other words, either Gaim's not in continuity (which I'm fine with, but Movie Wars/KR Taisen disagree), or the USA's a recovering smoking radioactive crater in future series. Which was eminently amusing when in a few months in Drive, Gou just shows up from America. Queue joking among friends he came from a Fist of the North Star-esque setting.

I just assumed that most of those redirected nukes, while still hitting American territory, mostly hit uninhabited areas(for example most of Nevada and Alaska are uninhabited by humans), cause remember the United States is freaking huge, so assuming Roshuo didn't have a specific target in mind, statistically he probably didn't cause all that much damage(at least in terms of lives lost, probably quite a bit of environmental damage though)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Huh, I thought that Fourze only mentioned the showa riders.

The tablet also shows Kuuga and Agito from my recollection, and all of Fourze's movies are canon to it as well, so at minimum W, OOO, and Wizard are also canon to Fourze

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well we only got a couple years till Double's 10th anniversary, if we get anything then I'd say the odds of Foundation X getting involved are pretty decent

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

I would likely unironically do that if I could

My favorite way to pose my SIC Tackle is with her full Kamen Rider helmet and wearing Stronger's scarf. Just something satisfying about her getting to be a full Rider. Her assuming Stronger's identity is also great.

Man I wish Stronger didn't get cancelled early.

I thought Amazon was the one that got canned early

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Even if you don't watch anything else of Faiz, you should watch it's movie Paradise Lost as it's in my opinion the best Rider movie prior to Decade(with God Speed Love for Kabuto in a close second)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

Got a little burned out on W, so I watched some of the original series to try and reinvigorate myself. There's a lot more emphasis on the "Rider" part of Kamen Rider in this version. Also I'm starting to realize that all the Riders I've seen have gotten their powers from evil people and used it for good. That's an awesome overarching premise.

It probably says a lot about me that I legitimately find Shocker terrifying. People staring at you and giggling menacingly is creepy as gently caress

Pretty much the only main Riders who don't have a direct connection to their antagonist group are Super-1, Black RX, and J off the top of my head

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Is it weird that overall I've preferred the Mecha designs in TOQger, Nininger, and Jyuohger over Go-Busters', and similarly preferred Goseiger's over Gokaiger's, and while I like the three main robots in Shikenger overall(along with the extra robots), I feel any combinations involving more than one of them were incredibly mediocre and half-assed

Overall it just feels that the mecha aspects to Go-Busters and Gokaiger were complete afterthoughts during development and writing to an extent not seen since Dairanger(and at least the ones from Dairanger look good), same with any of the multi mech combinations from Shikenger

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'll never understand what Toei was trying with Kinji. He's an American...with a Japanese name, whose family have Japanese names, who very clearly can't speak a single word in English but has perfect Japanese...

He was just as half-assed as the rest of the show.

It will be interesting to see how Power Rangers Ninja Steel will handle it's version of him

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

I think that a "Kamen Rider" type show could easily survive in the US, at least for a few years. Just not the type of stuff that Toei is currently airing, with the overly talkative belts and questionable suit design changes. I honestly think a show with more MotW seventies style plot beats would do better.

That's not necessarily true, it could work it would just have to be a regular kids show if the regular shows get brought over, although you'd probably have to lean on connections with Power Rangers pretty hard for the first season or two to help establish it

Hell considering how pretty much all toys these days connect to some sort of Web or phone game, the collectable aspect to Rider toylines would work perfectly for that sort of thing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kamen rider is alternately too toyetic and too serious. Market it for adults and they won't care about all the plastic crap it is hawking. Market it for kids and it would end up heavily censored.

There's not really much that you'd need to tone down from the original shows actually, at least for the post Decade series, just edit out the occasional reference to murder and death out as most of them aren't actually all that important to the plots, really you guys are overstating the "maturity" of the franchise, after all the primary demographic for it in Japan is the same demographic as Adventure Time's here in the States

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I say just let Saban take another crack at it(heck Dino Charge has been fairly decent), hell if the new Power Rangers movie does well it's pretty likely that there will be an attempt to bring over more Toku stuff here to the states

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

But really, who is gonna go through all that trouble for a property that would likely never be a huge success? There are still hundreds of unused superhero properties to go through before trying to tap into the superhero boom with some karate bugmen people associate with a lovely, short-lived children's show if they recognize them at all. The only people asking for a kamen rider adaptation are kamen rider fans, and that isn't exactly a large group even among internet nerds.

I'd say there's room for another Live Action Superhero show for kids, currently Power Rangers is the only one on the market, so if Saban can find the opportunity to try again with Kamen Rider you bet they'll take it(probably through a rebrand as Power Rider, especially since they still have the trademark on that to my knowledge, it avoids the stigma that both Masked Rider and unfortunately Kamen Rider have from the previous attempts, and it deepens the ties with Power Rangers that it will need to get started), same if Metal Heroes ever got another TV series that they could twist into a new VR Troopers or Beetleborgs series(hell if necessary Saban could always just use one of those names for a new attempt at Kamen Rider if Power Rider became unavailable for some reason)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

We're talking about an actual total remake, not a Power Rangers deal. So it would use none of the footage from the original

That's something that only really would work for a Theatrical Movie

So basically you're a moron

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jivjov posted:

I'm just happy that they're making the bold decision to include the Radbug in this new reboot.

It's weird that that of all things ended up being one of those things that made the leap from Zyuranger to Mighty Morphing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'll back the recommendation for Zyuranger, it's been fantastic so far, just finished up the arc that introduces Ultimate Daizyujin and it was an amazing trip(wasn't expecting a doofy Frankenstein themed Dora Monster to be the source for some of the best fights this show has had so far)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Ultraman memories time!

I discovered Ultraman through his video game, which thankfully I only rented because it was one of those licensed old school video games that thought difficulty through weird hitboxes and cheap hits made a better video game.

Then I discovered his old, original, dubbed show (not Syber Squad but some dubbing of the Japanese actors) was being shown on KBHK, which before it became a UPN affiliate and put on big-boy pants was a station that ran some weird stuff. I remember being excited when the Degola episode came on, hoping it would teach me something to beat it in the video game. :sweatdrop:

Also it took me about thirty episodes of Syber Squad before I finally recognized that Sam's alter-ego sure looked awfully familiar.

Gridman still has some of my favorite designs in Toku, would love for it to get a proper English release, also I really need to hunt down the the old toyline for it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/ultra-seven

It is indeed!

One important thing though- UltraSeven is not a typical Ultraman series. They did not intend for him to be another Ultraman- his name for the first three or four episodes of production was Redman, in fact. (Due to the kind of cameras they had and the shooting schedule, all of the dialogue had to be dubbed in after the fact, for every episode, so his name wasn't that big a thing to change at the time.)

He only became an Ultraman and part of the franchise retroactively with Return of Ultraman in 1971, partly because they wanted to incorporate one of Tsuburaya's favorite series into the whole thing out of respect and Seven fit well enough with the Ultra franchise that they knew they could do it.

So that's why the show is more like a super fast paced Star Trek, rather than a kaiju fighting series. Also if you're wondering when you watch the first episode- yes, UltraSeven was a major inspiration for Pokemon. You'll see what I mean.

notably Tsuburaya would reuse the name Redman for another Toku series several years later, who is primarily notable for several things; 1.) having 138 episodes, each about 5 minutes in length(due to originally being made as part of a Children's Variety Show) and 2.) every single enemy he fought being reused Ultra monsters

also Tsuburaya is uploading episodes of it onto their YouTube channel(although besides first episode they seem to be only keeping several episodes uploaded at a time for some reason);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUp1zim_GqQ

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

Bug theme isn't that important to Kamen Rider.

It's a thing that you can have or not. Remember, the original 'Kamen' for Kamen Rider was gonna be a skull mask. What a weird world that reality would have been.

Even with the original Riders, and I mean the very original first batch the first 7, Amazon is not bug themed at all. He's a lizard man.

What's important is that Riders take the power of their enemies and use it for justice. It's when you don't do that that it starts becoming a little hazy on how much of a Rider you really are.

Thankfully I don't think we've had a single Rider abandon that yet. I think.

Only main Riders to not follow that are Super-1 and J to my knowledge(technically Black RX also)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Worth mentioning about the Tiga dub; 4Kids only brought it to the states for two reasons, one was that it was ridiculously cheap to do so(thus allowing them to fill a slot in Fox Box for a couple months till they could get something else ready), and the other was to explain a random 2 second gag in an episode of the Kirby anime where he puts on an Ultraman mask, guess they felt it would have been too confusing otherwise:iiam:(and despite all the other edits they did to their series they didn't just edit that gag out)

This is why Tiga's dub is shoddy even by Tokusatsu standards, and also why Tiga only ran for about 10 episodes or so till they quietly canned it

• Locked thread