Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FortMax posted:

Blade (starting with ep 22), Boukenger, Decade (eps 1-13), original FMA anime, Angel Cop, Nadesico, and Eureka Seven: AO.

That wouldn't be a bad track record if not for AO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lmao

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

First episode of Ghost was impressively dull, which is a shock to me since I've never seen a Rider show with a bad first episode before. The characters all feel really one-note even by toku standards, couldn't tell you much about them besides the single personality quirk each of them had, and the direction was really poor. Up until I quit watching it felt like they were speeding through all the required plot beats as quickly as possible, like they were dispassionately checking items off a list. The epitome of this was the "afterlife" scene where Takeru wakes up, gets the premise of the show dumped on him along with a Rider belt and a CG mascot, and is shunted back into the real world for the fight scene, which is where I stopped watching after he immediately produced a huge unwieldy sword and started flailing around.

I feel like an idiot for being dismissive of a show to the point that I didn't even finish the first episode, but absolutely nothing about it grabbed me, which is shocking since even the lesser Rider shows have a good opener that gives you a good feel for the characters, their motivation, what's going on, and has a likability and charm to it that'll at least keep you intrigued enough to keep going.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 7, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Shaezerus posted:

That's how almost every first Rider episode goes and by now it's really starting to show. "Normal dude falls into the belt and bumbles through his first fight like (varying degrees of) a complete doofus" hasn't been actually entertaining since Den-O, or depending on how much you loved chainsaw foot and the complete mishandling of Launcher, Fourze.

That's one of the big strengths W has, they just drop it; Shotaro and Philip have been W for some time, they know how their belt works and the show can do interesting things instead of a slogging initial arc of "Why is belt, why I belt, wacky sidekick please help re:belt." Hell even Wizard got that.

Nah, the problem for me is in the execution, not the concept. OOO, Fourze, and Drive have similar opening episodes, but theirs were entertaining because they presented their premises and setting in an interesting way, introduced characters that were entertaining to watch, and had exciting fights, even if they mostly relied on blowing a bunch of CG money to accomplish that.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

V-Men posted:

I hated her interactions with Ryu in the Accel movie, but mainly because it was incredibly demeaning to the relationship they built up during the series.

It was a little dumb in Accel, but Movie War Core is the only time I really disliked how she was written.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

I kinda wish that every episode didn't start with him moping in the basement until someone comes to drag his rear end out.

They're just trying to make him relatable for the secondary audience.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

Does she have a penis? Even a hypothetical one like Chase?

No?

Then I'm sorry she cannot be a Rider because Japan is awful.

Well be a Rider and LIVE anyways.

Also because it's a merchandise-driven show targeted mainly at boys and those tend to be bad about women regardless of country of origin.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

I thought the final battle in Go-Busters was pretty awesome.

Both of them were. :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

So is this new Rider 1 movie a standalone reboot deal like The First/Next or is it in "continuity"?

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 28, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

The real parallel to draw with Takeru is Eiji, our last boring personality-devoid rider held up by the strength of the supporting cast.

Eiji was good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

gently caress everything gently caress Everything gently caress EVERYTHING

God drat It To Hell

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's iconic and lets them keep using the Shocker grunt suits. Plus those actors worked very hard on their "eee!"s, you know?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gigabeetle's good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If anything, Akiko starts out alright-good and gets way, way worse in the post-series stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

She's fine in everything up to and including the end of the show, so I'm comfortable blaming that on the writers of Core and Accel. Especially Core.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

Kamen Rider Stronger on the flip side was meant to go for a full 51 episode series, with the final third of the series planned to bring back Tackle as a full on Kamen Rider, but Stronger was simply out preformed by another series that started up at the same time and aired at the same time on the channel Rider had left.

I would've been happier not knowing this.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

On the other hand, Accel is so good that it manages to survive Akiko being The Worst (tm).

that just makes the subplot stand out even more as opposed to Core just doing its thing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Do you guys really like Meteor that much?

He's fine, it's his arc that's dumb.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Should be noted that you'll have to deal with bad subs for the shows between Agito and W.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You want Gomenrider's, though finding a batch might be a pain.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I rewatched the last ep of Fourze on a whim, and daaaamn the graduation scene. :unsmith:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Holy poo poo, you're already up to :pcgaming:XTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME:pcgaming:?

fixed

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There are actually a fair number of scenes where the staff presents what the show might look like if they gave a gently caress; stuff like Haruto being cocky/sassy, Rinko doing a thing in Phoenix's arc, Koyomi going out that one time.

The fights are also consistently p good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wizard's suits are good, aside from the brightly colored Dragon capes that emphasize how shiny the material is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nerdman42 posted:

Edit: granted, he told me he was burned out on toku after reccing W, OOO, and Fourze, so that could've been a factor

yeah that was me for the last year after keeping up with the airing shows from w to gaim plus a few older series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

W is good and every rider thing is improved by its (non-soulless background suit) presence

e: the meeting of the 'taros in megamax is the franchise's peak

e2: vvv well drat

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:53 on May 8, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

megamax was a pretty amazing piece of fanservice in general for my teenage self that had gotten into Rider by watching W then marathoning OOO to catch up with the broadcast, liked W-Fourze, and had also watched what had been translated of KR '71.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I think W is pretty good at balancing its episodic elements with gradually moving the plot along. Some of the shows to follow are more stop-and-go in that regard.

btw are you watching the movies? they're supplementary*, but all of W's stuff is good. you could've seen Begins Night by now (W section of Movie War 2010), and you can watch W Forever when they start advertising it in the OP.

*W's movies are canon, but it only amounts to a passing reference at the beginning of one episode and special forms appearing in future crossover films

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 8, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

OOO's stuff is mixed. Its portion of Movie War Core is outright bad, Wonderful is worth a watch but weaker than the W and Fourze movies, and its Megamax section is good since all of Megamax is.

e: Nobunaga's Desire (Core) is also a clusterfuck as far as continuity and character writing goes, which would normally be of little concern in Rider, but this was especially bizarre. poo poo like Eiji handing out money, GotouBirth before Date appeared in the show, TaJaDor long before the heroes got a full set, and the existence of a Purple Greed. You tend to see stuff like unfinalized SFX and affectations when Riders make cameos in summer movies, but this seemed like something written in its entirety before they'd pinned down plans for the show.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 8, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/jyudo_fu/status/726688415878500352

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SRF's generally positive about Masked Rider, but yeah, a lot of this stuff looks really slipshod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQYpuINSXyE

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Burkion posted:

Also I lied, TMNT The Next Mutation is the single worst Toku thing Saban ever made.

I'm glad my only encounter with that was watching In Space and thinking "there a girl Turtle :confused:"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mikeycp posted:

dub Amazons

:barf:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Elfgames posted:

aren't you the dude railing aganst the new power rangers movie? this is the exact same thing, it's awful.

Not really? "Fighting drug kingpins and murderous super powered individuals" isn't inherently dark or overly-serious, that's what W already is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

More superhero shows need to be about being a hero because it's right and not because you feel bad about a thing, namaste bitches

be a hero because snowflakes are loving rad - Kamen Rider The First

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

spider-man is driven by guilt not "man gently caress you guys!"

toku spiderman is

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the emissary from hell

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I don't know if I can do much convincing, but Carranger is a much funnier show than people give it credit for. If you enjoy Sentai then it's definitely worth checking out. I would easily put it above Ohranger honestly. The villains look even cheaper and shittier than any other Toku fare, but that's all part of the joke. You're supposed to laugh at how stupid they look and how ridiculous their plans are.

Which might explain why the first half of Turbo is such a goddamned wreck when it tried making monsters like this into serious threats.

yeah I watched a few episodes of carranger subbed and it was great. in the first ep an alien tricks the rear end in a top hat leads into becoming rangers by pretending to die and guilt tripping them. the antagonist's entire motivation is that he wants to impress a chick that wants "earf" turned into fireworks out of airheaded boredom. one early plan involves animating cars and poo poo to make them produce so much noise that it'll piss off the intergalactic community and make them destroy earth. two of the rangers have a petty argument and leave the mech in the middle of a fight.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://jii.moe/41b1oXM7b.webm
carranger is art
https://jii.moe/N1MgiXGX-.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

So are the OZC-live BDs of Kamen Rider W the same subs as Over-Time or what? My first watch years ago was as a TV-N watching moron.

BDs muxed with OT's scripts, yeah.

• Locked thread