Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

True. I think every suit has at least one fan.

Maybe not Meteor Storm. Does anybody like Meteor Storm?

*raises hand*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have no problem with subs that get creative to get the tone and characterization across, but when you get to stuff like "eoten", or changing mythological references to made up names, or making a character cockney for no drat reason, that's a step too far.

tldr I guess we're lucky this group doesn't do the same poo poo commie does

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Change things to get meaning across. To inform. To give a sense of what the Japanese version is trying to express while also make it flow better.

Just don't invent stuff whole hog.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Trini seems to have a personality for the first time in ever, at least.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

It's good to know that the Helheim props from Kamen Rider Gaim are getting maximum use though. They also made an appearance in Zyuuranger too iirc.

I hope nobody ate the fruit on Garu's planet.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Looking at the Kamen Sentai GoRiders.

This. This is art.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The GoRiders should be supporting characters from various Kamen Rider shows and movies.

Have pink turn out to be Mayu Tachibana.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ninninger would have been better if Kasumi were the red ranger.

but to Takaharu's credit he made me like Daigo a lot more by comparison.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

That's

Sort of like a compliment.

I thought Daigo stretched the bounds of "how much can you build up and focus on the red before it becomes overbearing".

Then Takaharu came along and moved the goalposts, basically.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm catching up on Ex-Aid and

What kind of bullshit mood whiplash is episode 12?!

I'll be over in my corner not weeping.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm fully caught up on Ex-Aid, barring the most recent Japanese episode.

It's good to enjoy Rider again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Really no one writing Ex-Aid knows how game development works.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Now you've put the idea of Date and Nico meeting in my head, and no one would survive that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well, I mean, american surgeons do that too. It was the subject of several Scrubs episodes at least.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

His is the sword that cleaves tumors.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I watched the Beast Riders special

Please tell me the Ouja figuarts comes with a lead pipe, and if not, recommendations for how to give him one

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So the Kamen Rider Brave Special is about the tonal dissonance between 00's Heise Rider and 10's Heisei Rider.

also

Hiiro will apparently work healing magic to get rid of his assistants' horrifying disfiguring injuries but Emu needs to heal from being beaten with a pipe like a normal person.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

sometimes I remember we never got a "Kamen Ride OOO Returns: Kamen Rider Birth" and it makes me sad.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's not like the alien worlds would have looked much different anyway. There's only so often you can reuse Gaim's props before people notice.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean.

Well off people do things that are illogical because the people beneath them showed something good about themselves all the drat time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Going through Kamen Rider Drive due to not having more Ex-Aid.

Got to the Kamen Rider 3 movie and Shocker!Otta makes me very uncomfortable.

EDIT: WHY IS EVERYONE DYING

EDIT 2: well that was utter nonsense. But I did like Kamen Rider 3 a lot. Shame we'll never see him again.

Has anyone subbed Kamen Rider 4 yet?

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Mar 15, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I watched that earlier. It made me feel better about Gaim's ending.

Ugh. Is the sub at least passable for TVN though?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Please buckle up, Mr. God."

I guess I'll suffer through it to find out how Gou comes back, though.

And more Faiz suffering is always fun.

EDIT - I'm only a few minutes in and we have Shocker Combatmen in lab coats.

LAB COATS.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 15, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so does someone who knows more about Showa wanna explain to me what the Great Leader's deal is?

I know he's some sort of nebulous entity that takes whatever form is convenient but is there an explanation for why he's this way?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Huh. Neat.

He's a bit like a Lovecraftian Wile E. Coyote then.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Decade and Narutaki make a lot more sense if you consider them to be sentient literary agents, who change to fit the roles of the story they inhabit. Decade is literally the embodiment of a Kamen Rider, with all the contradictions, positives, and negatives that entails. He's simultaneously heroic and selfish, simple but convoluted, a destroyer and a creator, a Rider and Shocker at the same time. While Narutaki is "the enemy".

I hope they never explain what their deal is.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So that's Kamen Rider 4 down.

For someone who's never watched a moment of Faiz, they did a pretty good job of making me sad about Takumi's ultimate fate.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm seriously considering braving TVN's lovely work to find out.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

did anyone ever do scrubs of 555?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hrm.

Do I wanna brave it or not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd honestly prefer to find out for myself to be honest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I heard about Kaixa. Makes me wonder why Takumi was mourning him in the Taisen stuff to be honest.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's how I first watched Shinkenger.

It's amazing I still love it so much.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, that was odd. I can rationalize it with Takumi having issues in general with people dying, including many of the people he fights, but Kusaka is the worst and Takumi was the one person always onto his crap in the series. Plus, Takumi is a giant pile of self-worth issues and self-loathing (less after the series) and he'd probably be easy to convince his life was worth less than someone else's. Still, Takumi's actor was in character enough I mostly rolled with it. Plus, it got us the scene of Kusaka's angry ghost (perfectly in jackass character) being destroyed by the light of a Rider transformation, and I will treasure that. (KR #4 still mentions Kusaka like that, but it makes me much happier by also mentioning Kiba in the same sentence, who makes much more sense.)

so basically, Takumi was all "Kusaka was an rear end in a top hat, but he was MY rear end in a top hat"?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd honestly be more bothered by the whole thing about characters not talking to each other in Rider shows if it weren't a particular aspect of Japanese culture that people are more private with feelings and problems like this. Not to mention, the newer Heisei series don't really avoid it either, so I don't get why people single out the earlier stuff.

On top of that, while I'm no expert on 555, it seems like these people barely trust each other to start with.

Obviously you can go too far with it (like everything I've seen of Kiva) but it's something to keep in mind.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

still enjoying Drive. But like.

What's the purpose of the "HOLD IT!" on Chaser's axe? It feels like an excuse to draw out the fight and, in universe, rather impractical.

Is it just a case of Rinna being Rinna?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just wondered if there was a practical reason or if it was a gag. Like it might be charging up or something.

But okeedoke, I'll keep an eye out.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

God, I want Nira to just die or get hit by a truck or something. What a tiresome character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

why would that be frustrating? I mean. Not every series has to use the convention that a rider is hard locked to their particular belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm really gonna need to see how this is done in operation before I can form an opinion, but like

I can think of multiple instances in non-Inoue stories where that happens, so again.

I need to see it for myself to know the context. EDIT - I'm not discounting what you guys are saying, but these movies have made me honestly interested in Takumi and I wanna see what his story is like for myself. In the end, you have to form your own opinion.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 16, 2017

• Locked thread