Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I noticed how much Ex-Aid reuses their monsters, but I just assumed that's a Kamen Rider thing since this was my first Rider show.

I also noticed how utterly useless they are, often being stage dressing for the battle between the doctors and the regular stable of villains. My favorite was the DoReMiFa Beat monster who was totally chill to peace out and just let Genm and Graphite steal the spotlight.

"Yo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Since we have a theme of "watching old episodes and commenting on them" going on, I'm watching Kyuranger #11 and I'm glad to see Lucky have a luck-flip, because the whole time I've been watching Kyuranger I keep thinking something to the effect of, "what would it be like if these characters were in an early Power Rangers season?" and conclude "well, Zedd would have made a luck reversal monster..."

Edit: Oh, this just turned into another Tremors sequel

This is a cool combination but loving hell if Justin had a Sentai counterpart it's this kid.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 1, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah. It's special for this one, I think. Kyuranger is doing the same thing. There's been less than a dozen unique monster costumes for that series I think, but in both cases it's probably a budget thing since there's also a bunch of "protagonist" costumes.

I have no idea what Kyuranger is doing half the time, either. Some episodes, they fight giant versions of the monster they were just fighting like sentai tradition. Other times, the monster is driving a "mecha" in the form of another monster suit.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was actually going to say, Masked Rider is on Netflix. That seems related to Black, if I'm not mistaken?

If you want to watch some old 90s Saban US kids TV adaption that isn't Power Rangers, then watch VR Troopers, because while it's made on 20% of MMPR's budget they definitely tried and had an evolving plot.

Masked Rider suffers from a "nobody really cared, nobody wanted to take responsibility" issue through it's whole run.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TFRazorsaw posted:

In Kyuranger, only certain members of the enemy army have the status or device that triggers the monster transformation. Usually, if they're in a mech, it's a member of Jark Matter that has a different rank.

I get this, but as a person who can no longer just innocently watch these shows without thinking about the production and off-stage elements, it sure seems like a wild use of budget.

"Okay guys, this time we're going to make TWO rubber suits, and one will show up for like five minutes!"

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I saw a few people keep asking over and over why anyone would play Chronicle, being such a public health hazard as it is. It's like I guess they've never watched one of these shows in a younger, more innocent age and wished they could henshin into a superhero.

And on top of that there's the small issue that Graphite killed who knows how many people that one time he burst a bunch of spores off the rooftops.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Actually I guess that outbreak was solved when Graphite was beaten with co-op the first time.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's been a number of those. Pandemonium Warden of FF11 would be the example most known in Japan, where some particularly large allegiance of guilds spent days with people logging in at all hours and taking shifts attacking a thing and trying to kill it.

The story that got passed around the west a lot was The Sleeper from EverQuest because players actually did beat it by finding a weakness in it's AI routines, then got punished for hacking basically. It's a story that was to the public reflective of how new and untested MMOs were at the time, but to players was reflective of Verant's attitude that players were to suffer punishment and moral hazard and any exploits should be the players fault for exploiting it and not the developers for allowing it to exist.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Stallion Cabana posted:

Everquest 2, I think, had an NPC dragon that was non-hostile but had a health bar; if you attacked it it went hostile and it would oneshot you. like 90 players over 60 hours decided to try and kill it and it caused the server to crash when it got to 25% because that wasn't supposed to be happening.

That was Karaphym the Sleeper from the first EQ. The crash was the first attempt, I think; at some point they actually did it and a small amount of cinematic flavor text appeared and then stopped as soon as it started because the story hadn't been put in the game yet. Then mods showed up and started kicking everyone.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Eventually Masamune would have brought back everything except her love of pastries, and to get that back he would have to slaughter the entire cast.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Ex-Aid was my first KR. The thing that surprises me is that there's very few "filler" episodes, and most of them appear at the start of the show (though the episodic victim stuff probably outlasts it's welcome by episode 20 or so). There's few episodes where the bad guy tries something, the heroes win, and if you missed the episode it's no big deal because none of the major arcs of the season were advanced in any way. Somebody's always trying to kill someone, seek out a new power, turn sides, betray a friend, etc in nearly every episode. While the struggle to create 45 episodes was definitely felt, the pacing and exposition dumps were evenly patted out to make each episode feel important, and none felt like the kind of "good guy uses the same finisher as always, then everyone throws a party" thing I'm so accustomed to.

So, before I get my hopes up, is KR often like that? My plan at the moment is Amazons next, followed by W, then some combination of OOO/Ryuki/Blade/Gaim.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

M.Matsuda posted:

And Kuroto went from 50 lives to FIVE. Kiriya's not messing around :allears:

He was in the low 80s after overworking himself seven or eight times.

You also have to appreciate the seeming unnecessary death from the motorcycle attack, and how Dan just welcomes it. And then spares Kiriya from dying again by absorbing the virus.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 3, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

M.Matsuda posted:

Edit: sooo what was stopping one of them from kicking Masamune in the hand and Taking the gashat from him?

The last time somebody did that, Kiriya died.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Dexie posted:

EDIT: Ahaha wait a minute are you seriously going to tell me that the entire plot of this show got started because young Kuroto got pissy over fanmail and lovely drawings from young Emu? That's so ridiculous it loops back around to being amazing. :allears:

It's an easier out than trying to invent a game-type for Parado's origins. :D

Honestly for a long time I thought he was from Perfect Puzzle and "M" was Knockout Fighter. But then you had a character from a dance game transform with the help of a dating sim and nothing makes sense anymore.

EDIT: I also love how the combined form has to be called "Perfect Knockout" because Puzzle Fighter is a Capcom trademark.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 4, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It may just be the "watching with friends" effect, but the shouting and singing Rider belts have gone from stupid to hilarious for me.

I could live without his shaking the things, but stopping to crank for everything is great

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Last night I found a high resolution image of the lvl 99 Genm cart being given away with the movies, and the label is called "God Maximum Mighty X". What a jingle that's going to have. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Tokusatsu V4: Say the thread!

(Alternatively, say the posting)

• Locked thread