Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'll have to look into one of them - W's intro looks good, but Kuuga can't be much worse than MMPR. :v:

Speaking of which, it's time for a flower monster.

Here's the thing about Kuuga.

Kuuga is a very, very unique series. It's one that has a message and it is entirely about that message from start to finish.

You may not catch on immediately, but you will by the end. I don't think it's as FUN as some other shows, but it is without a doubt one of the best made and best pulled off series in the franchise.

Everything is intentionally downplayed. The monster designs are subdued and basic, the fight scenes are really gritty and kind of, for lack of a better term, realistic, and the villain plots are not goofy take over the world schemes.

They're serial killers. The villains of the show are murderers, just straight up. And they kill a lot of people, some times in some truly horrific ways.

It is likely the third most serious in the entire franchise, behind Kamen Rider Amazons and Kamen Rider Shin.

Kamen Rider Amazons, for the record, is a good one if you want something serious, but with the style of Modern Rider.

Season 1 is really good, but season 2 is SO much better on every level. It's also a show with a message that it does not flinch from.

Kuuga is more impressive to me, I think, because it pulled off what it did on TV, but it's a ridiculously good show that revived Kamen Rider and has kept it going to this day.

If you don't mind skewing older, V3 is my personal favorite series of them all. Kamen Rider Black might be right up your alley, though.

It's not too much older than MMPR, it's got better production values, and it is both extremely serious, but also extremely fun. It has an energy and flair to its action scenes that no series has touched since, and most of its monsters are REALLY good.

The downside with Black is that the head writer quit after the second episode because of the stress the show brought him, so roughly half of the episodes are filler. You can either boil it down to the core story episodes, which I can help you with if you'd like, or just blast through expecting some good storyline bits mixed in with a lot of MOTW stuff.

If the entire series could have been focused on the storyline, it'd likely top out Kuuga and V3 for my favorite Rider series.

As it stands, it's about equal with Kuuga, depending on if I want something complete or something fun.

Though as I look back on Amazons, that lurks in the distance waiting to usurp both Kuuga and Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Caphi posted:

If you want something that's nothing but fun Fourze is really charming. It's not real deep, but it's very... gleeful. Watch out for your star sign in it, unless you're Pisces, because I swear to god, no one in crap genre media respects Pisces.

Piss Cuss.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Burkion posted:

If you don't mind skewing older, V3 is my personal favorite series of them all. Kamen Rider Black might be right up your alley, though.

I was actually going to say, Masked Rider is on Netflix. That seems related to Black, if I'm not mistaken?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've been owned, it's not on Netflix at all

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was actually going to say, Masked Rider is on Netflix. That seems related to Black, if I'm not mistaken?

Masked Rider is an adaptation of Black RX, the sequel to Black.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

Oh boy. Okay.

I'll keep this brief.

So, Masked Rider is based on Kamen Rider Black RX, which is the sort of sequel series to Kamen Rider Black.

As in, it was a Metal Hero series unrelated that they slapped Kamen Rider Black onto because Kamen Rider Black was ridiculously popular. It was a whole thing.

Anyways.

Masked Rider was originally going to be a more serious thing, which you can see shades of in the MMPR Masked Rider crossover at the start of season 3. The problem was threefold.

First- the actor they got for Dax is possibly the worst actor in all of Power Rangers.

Second- Kamen Rider Black RX is a ridiculously light hearted, silly show most of the time. I say most of the time because gently caress you RX, I'm not getting into that right now.

Third- They couldn't get Masked Rider made the way they wanted, so they turned it into a sitcom with a ferbie mascot and made it even sillier and even more light hearted.

I do not recommend watching Masked Rider except for a laugh.

Kamen Rider Black though, might be right up your alley. RX as well- for all my issues with what it is as a sequel, the show itself is fine until the ending and has some great monster suits and the way RX kills bad guys is possibly the coolest thing in all of Toku.

RX is just a poo poo sequel to Black.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjwK0wuSKIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmsJKR8ePrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTzdpMbGHww

RX why can't you be better than you are

RX why you hurt me so much

RX why

Why RX

Why can't you WAKE UP THE HERO!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
watch ghost

everyone loves ghost, it has infinite potential

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pyroi posted:

watch ghost

everyone loves ghost, it has infinite potential

I hate this because there actually were times when Ghost had potential.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Caphi posted:

I bounced off of Kuuga's weird oldschool direction/pacing, so I guess now we have to fight. Meet me in the warehouse next to the quarry and the river.

Can we pull a sentai and meet in the land of infinite tubes? Kuuga's pacing was near perfect except for some bits in the middle and I love its characters and writing and themes a whole lot. :D

Caphi posted:

Everyone keeps telling me Ghost is gonna get bad but the first twelve episodes were literal silly perfection so I'm concerned about how they're gonna make something so magical turn bad. Is it suddenly gonna get grimdark? :ohdear:

Also, Burkion, I love your posts. I shan't aspire to write such long in-depth essays myself, but I love reading them.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

I'd say that's the biggest difference between Wizard and Ghost. Both are awful, but Ghost can genuinely lie to you and make you think it'll get good. Wizard is mediocre from start to finish, but Ghost has a moment where it becomes genuinely enjoyable...and then it goes back to bad.

Also LizardWizard, I definitely recommend W as a starting point for Kamen Rider. It's well-written, the characters are mostly good (I'll never like Akiko) and you can see how important it was for the franchise in that it got a sequel (as a manga) of all things. Kamen Riders never get sequels! Plus, from W you can watch in order so you can watch the crossover movies which are...mostly 1/3 good, 1/3 terrible, 1/3 ridiculous, but Megamax was 100% great once you get to Fourze.

Skip Wizard and Ghost, as said earlier, neither is good.

Ultraman-wise, I tried Orb and couldn't last an episode. Between the annoying support cast and how it felt like it wanted me to know things about old Ultramen I didn't, it just didn't get my attention. I'll try Mebius though, it must be good to get that much praise, although I fear how much I'll understand when all my Ultraman knowledge is Nexus.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Everyone keeps telling me Ghost is gonna get bad but the first twelve episodes were literal silly perfection so I'm concerned about how they're gonna make something so magical turn bad. Is it suddenly gonna get grimdark? :ohdear:

I wish. But no, Ghost doesn't get grimdark, it doesn't get anything. The best explanation I read was that it had 10 episodes worth of plot, stretched out to the whole series. It's slow, constantly goes back to status quo every time it seems like it'll do something interesting, misuses every character it has, and ultimately accomplishes nothing. It's a story that had potential but wasted it completely.

Also it likes bringing up interesting ideas only to drop them without ever remotely trying to do something with them. Oh, Makoto is dying so his clone will have to take over his life!...no wait the clone can magically kill himself to revive Makoto, so it didn't matter at all. The big bad is also Alain's brother and Takeru's dad's killer, should we kill him or is killing wrong and he should be redeemed? Oh he got taken over by a monster so he has to die anyways, nbd.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 1, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think I'll look into W, then, if I can figure out how one breaks into the exciting world of acquiring sentai shows.

In other news I'm watching Big Bad Beetleborgs, and I love this? I love this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think I'll look into W, then, if I can figure out how one breaks into the exciting world of acquiring sentai shows.

In other news I'm watching Big Bad Beetleborgs, and I love this? I love this.

OZC-Live has you covered.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ghost has a moment where it becomes genuinely enjoyable...and then it goes back to bad.

Skip [...] Ghost, as said earlier, neither is good.

Meet me in the land of tubes from Sentai, we gotta fight. Ghost is good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wish. But no, Ghost doesn't get grimdark, it doesn't get anything. The best explanation I read was that it had 10 episodes worth of plot, stretched out to the whole series. It's slow, constantly goes back to status quo every time it seems like it'll do something interesting, misuses every character it has, and ultimately accomplishes nothing. It's a story that had potential but wasted it completely.

Also it likes bringing up interesting ideas only to drop them without ever remotely trying to do something with them. Oh, Makoto is dying so his clone will have to take over his life!...no wait the clone can magically kill himself to revive Makoto, so it didn't matter at all. The big bad is also Alain's brother and Takeru's dad's killer, should we kill him or is killing wrong and he should be redeemed? Oh he got taken over by a monster so he has to die anyways, nbd.

Aha whoops didn't catch this in time.

Okay: here's where we differ in terms of Ghost love. Ghost so far is a straightforward show about a kid thrust into a life or death situation coping with how he's gonna die soon, and how he's going to live out his days. His intensely silly days. It was heartbreaking to see him prepare for the end, as his family desperately tried to save him. The reboot was an earned reprieve so that he could continue his journey - because he's a good man, who deserves to live - and he's been showing this to the others, by living the life of a hero.

I don't find the plot contrived so far - I mean, it's all intensely silly, but... so is Ex-Aid. And everyone went bananas for Ex-Aid, so...

Also I could watch Ghost's cast spend time in the kitchen for 60 episodes, so, y'know, I'm easily pleased when I adore everyone.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Ghost is the story about a piece of wallpaper and his six life. The middle of Ghost makes it sound like it's going to neat places, but boy howdy does it lose its poo poo and ends up being really, really bland.

I'm actually watching it with some goon friends, and while there's Fun Moments, Takeru is one of the main elements as to why I'm not very fond of Ghost. (And I do apologize if I come across as aloof when I post, I tend to have shyness when it comes to replying to posts I find neato)

EDIT: That said, the actual cast in Ghost is neat, I admit. It makes me wish the focus was on Onari somehow being the Ghost boy, because his character is a lot of fun to see do things. And Akari did lose her annoying disbelief of ghosts early on, as well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Have you watched the full series yet.

Reach the final episode before declaring it good or bad.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ultraman-wise, I tried Orb and couldn't last an episode. Between the annoying support cast and how it felt like it wanted me to know things about old Ultramen I didn't, it just didn't get my attention. I'll try Mebius though, it must be good to get that much praise, although I fear how much I'll understand when all my Ultraman knowledge is Nexus.

The main thing with Mebius is, you don't need to know. They cover most of the basics and keep you rolling with the characters, mixing new and old monsters better than most recent series.

Orb definitely has a problem with its cast of characters. While the lead girl eventually shapes up, her two goofball associates are just dead air the entire time. If they weren't as useless as they are, it'd be a much better show I think. I'm not sure where you thought you needed to know a lot about past Ultra series with Orb though, beyond him using older heroes for his power ups.

Geed, you definitely should watch the Ultraman Zero movies first and foremost. Things just won't make a lot of sense with out it.

Ultraman has always been, for better or worse, more continuity heavy than other shows.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'll have you know I do exactly that before judging a show!

It's why I hate so much

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

LightningKimba posted:

Ghost is the story about a piece of wallpaper and his six life. The middle of Ghost makes it sound like it's going to neat places, but boy howdy does it lose its poo poo and ends up being really, really bland.

I'm actually watching it with some goon friends, and while there's Fun Moments, Takeru is one of the main elements as to why I'm not very fond of Ghost. (And I do apologize if I come across as aloof when I post, I tend to have shyness when it comes to replying to posts I find neato)

EDIT: That said, the actual cast in Ghost is neat, I admit. It makes me wish the focus was on Onari somehow being the Ghost boy, because his character is a lot of fun to see do things. And Akari did lose her annoying disbelief of ghosts early on, as well.

I like Takeru as a character, and I didn't find Akari's rampant disbelief annoying, so... :shobon:

... But also yes. Onari as a protagonist rider would have made for a superior show in all respects, no argument there.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Working on it! Honestly my biggest problem with toku at the moment is that I want to watch every series, ever, and I'm not in a mood where I can pick one for a marathon so it's slow but steady going across the board.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Hemingway To Go! posted:

This this this. Kamen Rider has a lot of episodes to get through/pad out, generally speaking, and even the best seasons can be of inconsistent quality.

I thought Wizard was good in the first 12 or so episodes! And then it didn't go anywhere. Ever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah. It's special for this one, I think. Kyuranger is doing the same thing. There's been less than a dozen unique monster costumes for that series I think, but in both cases it's probably a budget thing since there's also a bunch of "protagonist" costumes.

I have no idea what Kyuranger is doing half the time, either. Some episodes, they fight giant versions of the monster they were just fighting like sentai tradition. Other times, the monster is driving a "mecha" in the form of another monster suit.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Recently in Kyuranger Naga has been turned evil and is going full ham, with tongue wiggling and unique toys to play with. Also time travel is involved?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In Kyuranger, only certain members of the enemy army have the status or device that triggers the monster transformation. Usually, if they're in a mech, it's a member of Jark Matter that has a different rank.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

and back with yelling about Kamen Rider. -oh yeah Kiriya had another friend in his first ep. who doesn't know he's full on Died.
Edit: and now the Ministry has broken into Kuroto's evil lair. -and his game disease is acting up.
Edit: and now the fight's involved REGULAR Looking at least BIKES :allears:
Edit: Aww Hiiro's learned Friendship.

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 1, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Kyuranger is kind of interesting. Despite the characters being goofier than ever and the sets being more colorful, this is the closest they've been to military since go buster, given that they are part of the rebellion and have military ranks and functions.

Quite the change from zyuohger where they lived in a shack in the woods and had no equipment like large mech storage, radars, or road vehicles. Just some cubes.
It wasn't even THEIR shack, they just roomed there and had to pretend they were normal to the shack's owner.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Oh good time for BACKSTORY. and Oh god it's THIS scene
Edit: Oh my god Kuroto is the Biggest rear end in a top hat :allears: And i see his desire to C&D hasn't changed since he was younger.
Edit: HE INFECTED EMU WITH GAME DISEASE FOR HAVING A GOOD IDEA FOR A GAME what a Dick :allears:
Edit: And Taiga and Hiiro still suck Hard at Co-Op i see
Edit: and then things got confusing. Also Mighty Brothers XX still cool. and this was All according to plan for Kuroto. of course. now time for him to Explain said plan. :munch:

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 1, 2017

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'd say that's the biggest difference between Wizard and Ghost. Both are awful, but Ghost can genuinely lie to you and make you think it'll get good. Wizard is mediocre from start to finish, but Ghost has a moment where it becomes genuinely enjoyable...and then it goes back to bad.

Skip Wizard and Ghost, as said earlier, neither is good.

While I like Wizard more than most people (not much, I think it's alright but nothing I'll probably ever watch again), Ghost is the definition of disappointing. The first thirty-odd episodes were... mostly alright, then it just takes a screaming dive off a cliff quality-wise once Infinity Form is introduced and the main writer mostly vanishes from the credits, nobody becomes capable of doing anything other than Takeru (who keeps shouting about humanity's infinite potential nonstop), and the villains become... really repetitive and dumb. There are bad Rider series or Rider series I dislike I'll watch again to riff with friends, and I'm still never touching Ghost again with a ten foot pole just because of how painful that shift is.

As far as first Rider series, I tend to recomend OOO to friends (with a pretty good success rate) since it's a relatively recent show with decent enough effects to not knock people new to toku out of it, a pretty great cast and characters (barring Hina), and good suits and pretty energetic if not admittedly as good as W's fights. There's probably a bit of bias in there because OOO was my gateway to Rider too. Also, OOO, while it has high points and low points, none of the low points are complete misery to sit through.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

And now Kuroto is stripping off his ruined hospital clothes while he gives a motive rant :allears: :munch:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You could always take my gateway into Kamen Rider

Kamen Rider ZO. I won't go into it much here due to time, but if you just want 60 minutes that encapsulates KAMEN RIDER you aren't going to find a much better thing for it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

M.Matsuda posted:

Edit: And Taiga and Hiiro still suck Hard at Co-Op i see
Don't worry, you'll get to perfect co-op soon. :allears:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Post-shower thoughts on Beetleborgs: While goofier than I had imagined, I don't think I dislike it! Minus the rich kid and his sidekick, I think this thing succeeds at being what it wants to be. Don't know why they started with a two-parter though.

Thanks a ton!

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Zedd posted:

Don't worry, you'll get to perfect co-op soon. :allears:

:allears: Hell yes.
meanwhile it's time for Mighty Brothers to get jobbed. i'll miss that gashat.
also Kuroto can just MAKE Copies of Dangerous zombie now. :allears:
Edit: Final stage huh. during episode 22. Parad i'm like Halfway. also EXCITE still a great song :wooper: :dance:
Edit: and looks like both Taddle Fantasty's getting replaced by Taddle Legacy Soonish, And that Kuroto brushed his hair back. -also got a change of clothes.
Edit: and on the preview for 23. Emu what the actual gently caress is that on EX-AID. :allears:
Edit: Extreme Dead or Alive. the Best episode title so far Ex-aid :allears:
Edit: I love how the mooks are just basically dressed in regular clothes. i wonder how cheap they were to costume. :allears: :munch:
Edit: man flashback!Mighty Brothers looked more Kamen Riderish than the current designs. Also guys Maaaybe trying blowing into the new gashat.
Edit: man all i could think when that new gashat was created was "too much pink energy is dangerous"
Edit: :allears: I love this show. Also best jingle so far. thank you Hironobu Kageyama
Edit: clearly the writers have never played Diseaga.
Edit: :munch: this is a really good fight scene :hellyeah:
Edit: also i just realized Maxmium Mighty X here is basically just the Robobot Armor from Kirby, and that's cool :munch:
Edit: TRIPLE FINISHERS AND A GROUP POSE. :hellyeah: :swoon:

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 1, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you want to watch some old 90s Saban US kids TV adaption that isn't Power Rangers, then watch VR Troopers, because while it's made on 20% of MMPR's budget they definitely tried and had an evolving plot.

Masked Rider suffers from a "nobody really cared, nobody wanted to take responsibility" issue through it's whole run.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Emu Reprogrammed a Virus by Kicking it. I love this show :allears:
Edit: :rip: Kuroto, also Jeeze that actor is Selling that screaming. I look forward to SHIN Dan Kuroto
Edit: Poor Emu. also hey there EXCITE :sadpeanut:

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 1, 2017

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Burkion posted:

Oh Xig

Oh why

Oh Xig

You sweet summer child why

I'm 99% sure XIG is the offshoot project of one of TVN's new translators, so :shrug:

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

And it's time for ep 24. And New Character time. As well as Doctor time
Edit: I am already excited to see New guy :allears:
Edit: oh my god i hit Kyuuranger time :allears:
Edit: well that was random. and Adorable :kimchi:
Edit: and Emu got Shot down in Flames because everyone else here SUCKS at Co-Op, can Lucky Come back. he seemed nice.
Edit: Emu. You have a Bike power up. Why did you RUN here. :allears:

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 1, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TFRazorsaw posted:

In Kyuranger, only certain members of the enemy army have the status or device that triggers the monster transformation. Usually, if they're in a mech, it's a member of Jark Matter that has a different rank.

I get this, but as a person who can no longer just innocently watch these shows without thinking about the production and off-stage elements, it sure seems like a wild use of budget.

"Okay guys, this time we're going to make TWO rubber suits, and one will show up for like five minutes!"

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Oh hey People game :dance: :wooper:
Edit: Why are you both so terrible at Co-Op, Hiiro and Taiga.
Edit: Aw yeah Doctor team-up :)
Edit: Graphite :D And EXCITE :dance:
Edit: Oh boy Kamen Rider Chronicle time :allears: :swoon:
Edit: Well episode 25's starting off with a bang :munch:
Edit: and looks like EXCITE's the OP again. :dance:

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 1, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I was idly checking to see if there was a RAH or Medicom Kamen Rider ZO

You know see if I could make a mini shrine to the fucker

There are none. As it turns out, I pretty much have the only two good action figures ever made for the poor guy.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

I just want to take time out of my day to tell you, specifically, that you are a good poster with good ideas and it is rare that I see a post from you that does not generally align with my thoughts on Toku shows. I enjoy reading your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

And aw man the visuals for the OP updated. :allears: :dance:
Edit: Oh god i miss being here for people treating Chronicle like an actual game. (it kind of sucks though. you can't even customize)
Edit: oh my god Poppy's the tutorial fairy :allears: :munch:
Edit: Pokemon Go's ads were better
Edit: Oh My God :allears: this is Amazing (if i was here i'd want EX-Aid's sick hair to customize with)
Edit: I can't decide if Ren is the Best or the Worst. (by the way how Is OOO because i know it has Cake-Boss and he's one of the reasons i want to watch that)
Edit: oh my God :allears: Poor Emu though
Edit: Oh Jeeze :suspense:
Edit: :hellyeah: Poppy's gonna get to be a rider :swoon:

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 1, 2017

• Locked thread