Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Acne Rain posted:

If I failed to be impressed by Gaim for the first 20 episodes will future episodes change my mind
I've liked two other urobouchi outings but usually I like the characters better.

E: sick to my stomach, considering finishing it while I can't seem to manage other tasks

No, future episodes very likely won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Acne Rain posted:

I watched more gaim.

Past episode 20, the plot becomes INSANE and far more Urobouchi, so I've warmed up to it despite not liking Kouta or Kaito.

I'm getting the sense that this is the Kamen Rider version of Deep Space 9.
DS9 got a mixed reception of high praise on its own terms and scorn from fans for 1) being more serialized than previous trek (which Gaim kinda is instead of being two part stories) 2) Handling more difficult situations where there was no right answer 3) Having good characters end up doing the wrong thing and living with it, going against the vision of the larger series.
(um wait, also it's about a community based around a wormhole and exploring the new world in it. and the series has local political conflicts while slowly revealing a main threat beyond the wormhole...:crossarms:)

problem is Kouta is not The Sisko, there is no The Sisko so far.
actually I'm kind of getting the feeling I'm supposed to hate him.

also forget any of the collectibles, I want all the juices and parfaits from this show.

e: wizard is voyager

Color me a bit surprised, but I thought the plot had already gotten going by episode 20 because by then you've learned the secret of Helheim and Kaitou is recruited by Ryoma. And Micchy's... started really becoming scum. It isn't that into the plot I guess, but the episodes were already very serial by then.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I do hope Ghost steers more toward Drive than Wizard.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Justin_Brett posted:

I remember that guy who said "Gaim has just been so disappointing so far!" after its first episode.

I mean, it kind of was ultimately, but still.

In all fairness, most of them were pretty bad dancers.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Okay, I know this is going to get me torn a new rear end in a top hat, but honestly, and it may just be natural favoritism towards the version I experienced Shinkenger with for the first time, but I honestly think TV-N's version of SHINKENGER ENDGAME SPOILERS DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED IT HOLY poo poo Takeru's belief that "he's nothing" holds more emotional power than OT's "He has nothing." It's a subtle but important distinction that I think really goes a long way in selling Takeru basically having a loving death wish that's based primarily in self-loathing. I'm aware that translation is a factor but honestly with OT's penchant for character writing and localization I feel that saying "That's not what they're saying at all TV-N's translation is bullshit" on such a nuanced distinction is not really a compelling argument.

I dunno, maybe TV-N's overly literal dialogue feels like a better fit to me at certain moments because of Shinkenger's love of theatrics (down to having kabuki stagehands as recurring characters).

Like I'm glad we translated attack names and got rid of Takeru going "Truth...my..." at THE pivotal moment of his arc, and of loving course I'm never gonna recommend TV-N to anyone, but poo poo, I just feel like a part of the story TV-N told me there was has been lost, and goddammit I actually liked a small but significant part of that invented story.

I feel the same way, only about Decade. The way TVN translate's his dialog seems so goony and overly theatrical, it's just perfect for his character.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I am just in love with Star Ninninjer's upgraded form.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

"Akiko is funny and I like when she hits Shotaro with the slipper." - my little brother, a member of the target audience

That said, I genuinely like Akiko, especially in her interactions with Ryu in the Accel movie. She's cute and funny and makes some fantastic faces, and she owns in the dream episode. I would've liked her to become a bit more Chief-like, but she's cool whenever she takes initiative and I still liked her plenty.

I hated her interactions with Ryu in the Accel movie, but mainly because it was incredibly demeaning to the relationship they built up during the series.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Poison Mushroom posted:

Is there any way to get less Decade? Like, erase it from my mind?

That is literally crazy talk.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Son Ryo posted:

Decade had a Faiz that was worse than Faiz. That alone should be grounds for erasing it from existence.

I'm also a huge fan of the real Kuuga and not at all comfortable with the treatment Kuuga got in that show, but that's less important.

That had Decade playing tennis, so that can't go.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Poison Mushroom posted:

I don't accept "there is a good scene (that you can watch on youtube)" as an argument in favor of a series' quality.

Same reason the Giant Enemy Crab scene doesn't count.

Edit I still stand by the opinion that Kabuto has the largest suit quality:show quality gap. All the suits just look so loving slick, and I will love the aesthetics of TheBee until the day I die.

Mostly it's the sheer absurdity of what the show calls a plot and the gooniness of Tsukasa and Kaitoh that endears itself to me. Not to mention that belt. Everyone loves their first Rider show after all.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jeez, the Youkai really are getting lamer and lamer aren't they? This time, the way to gather fear was just to break stuff that could be easily repaired.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

LightningKimba posted:

Out of wonder, what ARE the best suit designs sentai had?

I'm a big fan of Abaranger. Core colors with some detailing, but fairly minimal. Frankly Abarekiller is my favorite costume ever.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Stallion Cabana posted:

I was impressed that Nininger managed to go like 13 episodes before going back to the thesis of the series; "Be more like Takaharu. He is the strongest and lives the best and everyone should love him. Those 13 episodes were pretty good though.

I think that's what I'm going to end up taking from Nininger. "Parts of this show were mediocre to good. Parts of it were awful. It averages out to bad."

Unless these last 8ish episodes are super surprising.

It feels like it averages out to be forgettable. I can't believe it's up to episode 40 now when it feels like there's barely been 20 episodes of content.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Ask Me For Warez posted:

So, its pretty much Kamen Rider Wizard?

Ninninger's still been kind of bearable to watch. Although I may just have low standards that Wizard couldn't even meet.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Haha, Zyuohger's megazord is a minecraft megazord?! Awesome

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hope it's good if only to set up the Saban's Saban Cinematic Universe with Masked Rider, Big Bad Beetleborg, VR Troopers and Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog.

Followed by a Kickstarter for Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Twelve by Pies posted:

Going into the Ninninger/Drive crossover felt weird because since Ninninger had focused almost completely on Takaharu, the other characters were just kind of "there" since their personalities hadn't been established fully yet. Zyuohger doesn't feel like it has that problem, all the characters feel unique with their own traits already since Yamato isn't getting all the focus, so I feel like this will be a lot more enjoyable.

Well, plus that crossover also had to shoehorn in a tie with Kamen Rider Grad Prix. Although will this cross-over involve Kamen Rider 1?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Is it bad that I want Momotaros to show up and think Boost is a long lost cousin?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

mateo360 posted:

and here's mine

You've got a Star Trek poster. Nerd.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Serious Frolicking posted:

So are both episodes completely skippable crossover fluff?

You can probably skip the Zyuohger one, but don't skip the Ghost episode. It moved the plot along and at some point I'd forgotten it was even a crossover episode until Yamato shows up.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

jivjov posted:

I'm loving it...but I loved ToQger, so our tastes may not align.

I'm finding Zyuoh kind of boring so far and I loved ToQger too. But I also don't think the cast isn't really gelling with each other yet. Except for that Sela/Leo episode and that just tells me she dislikes him on some level.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

AzraelNewtype posted:

Did you forget that Kaito had a Genesis Driver for ages? OOO is really the odd man out here, going way, way back. Faiz too, like you said, but Agito and Ryuki before it did, as did Blade, Kabuto (sort of, Gattack is so late it's basically a power up on its own), Den-O, Kiva, and Decade (counting DiEnd's movie poo poo) after. Not sure about Hibiki, to be honest, but that show's main power up was about ruining what made that show interesting, so it barely matters.

Yeah, Accel had Trial form, Meteor had Meteor Storm, and Beast had Hyper.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

John McClane posted:

To be fair, Ghost hasn't had the pirate ship lizard for the last 20 episodes.

Didn't Ghost use the lizard ship when the Gundaris came out?

edit: Man I cannot wait for some hammy-fisted dialog when it comes time for the Decade Eyecon.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 1, 2016

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

Is Amazons worth watching if I haven't seen the original?

I'm enjoying it. The closest analogy I can think of is comparing Daredevil/Jessica Jones to Arrow/Flash.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Huh, I thought that Fourze only mentioned the showa riders.

Tomoko's tablet also has a picture of a wrecked Fuuto Tower .

Twelve by Pies posted:

The W movie is canon to the series (the episode after the movie released has them talk about the destruction of Fuuto Tower, which happened in the movie) and OOO shows up in that to fight one of the Dopants. In addition OOO shows up in the Movie War with Fourze where he gets Double Rocket, which we know is canon because during his training with Virgo he uses it.

Wizard is a bit of an oddity because while he's definitely in Ultimatum with Fourze, his crossover with Gaim in Fateful Sengoku isn't part of the main Gaim series since a Crack appears during the dance-off, and the existence of Cracks being a secret was a big plot point in the series, plus Takatora sees Micchy transform into Ryugen.

But yeah ultimately it doesn't matter in the series, what's "canon" doesn't really matter and as MST3K puts it, "Just repeat to yourself 'It's just a show, I should really just relax.'"

It seems like they tried to link the series through Foundation X and also doing a pass the torch thing. The finale ending credits for OOOs and Fourze had some visual link to the next series. Hina walks past Kengo holding a switch and Mio sees Haruto's ring.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 19, 2016

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Found this twitter account from DnD https://twitter.com/GIGABEETLE

https://twitter.com/GIGABEETLE/status/726790708431036420

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

nerdman42 posted:

Kirihiko and Shotaro bonding over how much they love Fuuto is the funniest and later saddest thing in the world and I almost wish that scene lasted longer. I guessed Saeko would pull a black widow on Kirihiko and that didn’t any less sad. I’ll miss that loser.

He gets a talk show though, so that's a nice conclusion.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Some Numbers posted:

:allears:

I love hearing people's reactions to Terui.

I know. I can't wait for nerdman to requote his first impression of Accel when he gets to the end of the series.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Eponymous posted:

I always thought it was kind of weird how Terui's arc ended up being a total validation of revenge. He finds the guy he wants to murder, murders the poo poo out of him, and is immediately shown laughing and playing with kids. I mean, the guy totally deserved it, and that kind of emotional closure could realistically do somebody a lot of good, but... this is kind of a kid's show.

I didn't really view it that way. His fighting for revenge nearly gets him killed, e.g., when he takes on Weather and Double does the double maximum drive to try to ward off Weather. It's only when he's fighting to save the life of that bird scientist woman does his need for revenge get overtaken by his need to protect someone. Only then can he actually defeat Isaka.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Potsticker posted:

I was with you until here at the very end, so here's some words on Decade on why a person might want to give it a try or skip it.

First off, it's a shorter series than most. Only about 30 episodes rather than the normal length of 50. It's a sort of anniversary show that sort of visits the previous nine Rider series (And eventually a couple of older classic series) in these Alternate Reality worlds. Now Decade has two major sins and if you're going to skip it or dislike it, it'll probably be for one of these reasons. The first one, and probably the worst, is that it does a terrible job with all the series that it's supposed to be celebrating. None of the AR worlds are really anything more than vaguely similar to the series they represent with similarly named characters, but the main characters all have these debilitating problems so that Decade can swoop in and fix things. It's really kind of horrible.

The second is that Decade has no plot. Or rather, the plot makes no sense. It sets up the premise well enough to get things rolling, but by the end of the series and the movies you're left with no resolution and a lot of contradictory information. Eventually they even make fun of this, but that doesn't make it any better. But despite these things, Decade has one of the best casts of characters. The main character, the heroine, and the secondary rider all really shine and are absolutely fabulous in their roles. They have great chemistry with each other and when the plot for an episode is mediocre it still feels worth watching. The music, the costumes, the belts, it's all great.

I enjoyed the heck out of because Kadoya Tsukasa is a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone. If you're going to watch it, I almost recommend the TVN subs because their goonish way of translating sometimes also feels like a perfect match for Tsukasa and Kaitoh.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I love the bit where Terui uses the Cyclone memory in the Engineblade though.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

nerdman42 posted:

Its weird hearing all this praise for Drive when the only thing I heard about it before entering this thread was "its not very good"

Edit: granted, he told me he was burned out on toku after reccing W, OOO, and Fourze, so that could've been a factor

Drive kind of took awhile to get moving. I'd say its pacing was better than OOO's but not as good as W's or Ghost's. I think I'd honestly say the B-cast kept me in the show as much as the conflict between Drive and the Roidmudes. The last third of the show though is just fantastic.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

jivjov posted:

Seconding this. I watched 8 or so episodes, took a break...ended up binging 9-20 and staying current on the weekly after that. Drive takes some time to......get up to speed

I think that's around when Chase turns and you get introduced to 001. The story definitely accelerates after that.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

deadly_pudding posted:

Foundation X could have been hecka neat if they kept on top of it. I kinda expected them to show up again in Gaim, but nope. Thread completely gone.

I guess the business model of "let debtor turn themselves into a demi-god and then pressure that person for money" is actually pretty self-destructive.

Was Foundation X even in Wizard?

edit: Maybe it's a long shot, but I really hope the Kamen Rider Chaser movie is about the cop, who Chaser copied, becoming a Kamen Rider after being introduced to Shinnosuke and the special crimes unit.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 10, 2016

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Uh, so a movie about an unrelated guy who just looks the same but never did anything heroic or become best buds with Chase?

Sure. He comes across footage of Chase fighting as a Kamen Rider and thinks there's an android who has done more to help people than he has. He starts feeling the need to smash justice in monsters' faces through rider kicks and goes to steal a Mach Driver.

The way Chase went out was awesome and heroic and I like the idea that the human he copied decides to follow in those footsteps rather than just have writers resurrect Chase.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Blaze Dragon posted:

You do realize that the Chaser movie happens during the series, not after, right?

Nope. Haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Yep, that Chase movie was filled with most of the fan service I could want.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I don't recall ToQger beating us over the head with how great Right was at everything though. Probably because none of the ToQgers were competing so they didn't have to talk about how great Red was and how they needed to surpass him.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Cliff Racer posted:

Its obviously too early to say how the whole show will be but at this point to me its clearly the best since Gokaiger. I was honestly getting ready to give up on sentai but this has me hooked.

They're certainly the most awesomely dressed since Gokaiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

RealFoxy posted:

It sounds so un-genuine but I'd love another mini season of Decade to wrap up some of the lingering stories and such. He kinda never got an ending.

I want Decade to show up in a two-parter in every series so he can make some sanctimonious speech and then do a final form ride for the current rider. I bet Drive would have had an awesome final form ride.

• Locked thread