Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alex433999
Aug 16, 2014
Recently, a friend was using his mac to view some torrent streams online.
Within a few minutes, we recieved a pop-up called "web-media-support.com"
It's the typical rogue "call our tech support number 1-844-780-6781"
I'm familiar with this type of scam, as I have fallen prey to it in the past. However,
malwarebytes succeeded in solving my problem, it did not detect the threat on my friends computer.
It prevents use of Safari at all. He claims to have not downloaded anything recently,
internet cannot be used at all on it: the browser opens to a page called "cookthefood.com"
and from there it opens another pop up in the form of an unclosable window that gives the phone number.
Force quitting did nothing, restarting also did nothing.
tl;dr friend has adware/ransomware on his mac, malwarebytes couldn't remove it. Need help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

What version of OS X and Safari exactly?

I think I did a complete cleaning using http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner-mac once and that might've removed it.

• Locked thread