Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Hello, I'm Doctor Kill, AKA Doctor Thrill: Like a Roller Coaster™, and I'm going to show you how to play Majora's Mask Super Wrong.

What is Majora's Mask?
Majora's Mask (MM) is a web 2.0 media experience that relies on collaborative social media experimentation to communicate insightful and meaningful messages through the simplistic, childish medium of action adventure video games.

Pretty sure Majora's Mask has been LP'd before
Yeah but they haven't dones it the way I does it.

You've got me hooked pal, tell me more about this Let Us Play
The point of this LP is to play Majora's Mask all messed up. If you watched my Ocarina of Time LP (found here), then the general concept should be familiar, but basically I want to show off the glitches of this game and how you can use them to still accomplish the many goals this game has.

To that extent I made a few vague and arbitrary rules to help me outline what I can show off, while still keeping it somewhat focused so I don't have to show off literally every little thing in the game:

1. I will be collecting all masks and items, but not necessarily item upgrades.
2. I will try to use as many glitches as I can to get those things, as long as it isn't too tedious or boring to do.
3. I will not be collecting all heart pieces
4. I will complete all the main dungeons, but not necessarily the side dungeons.
5. I will be 'finishing' dungeons in reverse order, by which I mean collecting the map, compass, dungeon item, and fairies, then getting to the boss room. But for various reasons I won't always beat the boss at that point.
6. I will not be using the deku, goron, or zora forms in their respective dungeons, with 3 specific exceptions (none of the exceptions are the bosses).

Anything else?
Knowing the general progression of the game and its sidequests will probably help in understanding why the glitches I do are significant. However, as glitches happen, I'll do my best to explain how they work as well as what is 'normally' supposed to happen or what is being skipped, to help people who aren't as familiar with the game.

And just to clarify, everything shown off in these videos will be me directly playing the game, with no cheats activated or anything like that. You should be able to replicate any of it on any console version, though I play on Virtual Console for speed and ease.

And if you want to learn more about Majora's Mask glitches, be sure to check out ZeldaSpeedRuns, that's where I learned a lot of what I'm going to show off!

Spoiler Policy
This is LP is focused on glitches, not story. A lot of people really enjoy the MM story / narrative, but more than likely there won't be any focus on it. As such, I don't care about any spoilers, spoilers are allowed, especially because I'll be doing so many things out of order anyway.

In fact, not only are they allowed, they are mandatory. Every post must have a spoiler, from any work of fiction. Make sure you tell me who dies in book 5 of game of thrones before you contribute anything to the thread. If you don't you will be probated, banned, then fired out of a cannon.

VIDEOS

FULL LP PLAYLIST

Part 1: Saving Ladies from Aliens and Raiders (feat. WilliamAnderson)

Part 2: Hiding from Pirates, Chiding the Spiders (feat. Word on the Wind)

Part 3: Exploring the Moors and Soaring to Gorons. (feat. ChaosArgate)

Part 4: Power through Stone Tower at Zero Hour (feat. MissileWaster)

Part 5: Mummies to Placate, Getting Chummy with Great Bay (feat. Simply Simon)

Part 6: Snowhead, Cold Dread, Goht's Dead, Gold Tread (feat. Zeikier)

Part 7: Grave Rob Em, Blaze Problems, Slaying Mobs Like It's Sodom (feat. Azzanadra)

Part 8: Gyorg's Bubbly Grasp, it's a Troubled Task, so's the Couple's Mask (feat. liquidypoo)

Part 9: Spin to Win and Twinmold Folds, a Sword to Gore Majora up (feat. Toiwat)

BONUS

Bonus: Hither into Stone Tower, No Quivering, No Bow Nor Bowing

Here are some pictures of Cremia hugging various Links awkwardly.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

What is this thing that you are doing?
Majora's Mask Randomizer is a mod / romhack made by a person named DeathBasket that randomizes the location of all inventory items in the game. Masks, weapons, trade items, and upgrades are all shuffled around, with a few exceptions to prevent an unwinnable state, and only among themselves, so things like heart pieces and rupees aren't affected. Bottled items are also randomized among themselves, since mechanically you can't switch those with a non bottle item, but it does mean that catching, say, a fish could give you something like Chateau Romani.

This is meant as a companion LP to the Majora's Mask Super Wrong LP, so I would suggest watching that before watching these, if only because I refer to the 'main LP' an awful lot and because that's where I explained all the cool tricks I'll be doing.

Why are you doing this thing?
Because it'll be fun!

What's the end goal here?
I'm aiming to again collect all masks and inventory items, but also all inventory upgrades as well, though in rare cases items can be unobtainable. I still wont get all heart pieces, but I may get a few if they're interesting. Of course I'll also beat the game.

There will obviously be some retreading on stuff I did in the main LP but the randomness should keep things interesting. And unlike my previous LPs, me and my commentators will commentate as I play, live! This means I will route on the fly, often with disastrous consequences, while my talking buddies berate me for actually being very bad at this video game and hiding it for so long. Fun stuff!

Suspicious Dish will be joining me for the entire LP, and we'll have a different third commentator every few episodes.

VIDEOS

FULL LP PLAYLIST

With Suspicious Dish and Artix:

Part 1: I Get My rear end Kicked By A Tree

Part 2: My Run Gets Screwed Up Already

Part 3: Sure Wish I Had the Zora Mask

With Suspicious Dish and crowe / corn in the bible:

Part 4: You Are Tearing Me Apart, Majora

Part 5: Really Bad Graveyard Time with Bats and Fire

Part 6: Learning New Instabilities of the Randomizer

With Suspicious Dish and ChaosArgate:

Part 7: Breaking Weapon Laws, Fighting Aliens, Peddling Conspiracies

Part 8: The Spiders Are All In Tune

Part 9: Stoned in Pirates Fortress, Making Some Unagi

With Suspicious Dish and SimplySimon:

Part 10: I Want to Beat Great Bay, I Want to Eat the Moon.

Part 11: Stone Tower more like Bone Boner

Part 12: Horse

With Suspicious Dish and ThornBrain:

Part 13: A Couple of Tasks to get the Couple's Mask

Final: Majora the Major A-Hole

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 2, 2016

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Part 1: Saving Ladies from Aliens and Raiders (feat. WilliamAnderson)

We finally get started! I had planned to get this LP going like two months ago, but I had a hard time deciding on how I wanted to route it. I'm still not completely happy with it but I think it'll be a fun ride regardless.

I do have some extra notes! First off, I've started to try out Adobe Premiere for extra video options, but I've been using VirtualDub for all my recording, and its AVI files don't always play nice with Premiere, and I can't figure out why. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. My codecs seem to be updated. In any case, I was wondering what other people use to record, and what they would use to de-interlace and scale. Would it still be AVIsynth?

Also, I decided to do some picture-in-picture stuff, to show off things while cutscenes or tedious events happen. This way there's still one consistent stream of gameplay, which I think suits Majora's Mask, while I can still cut away to show off other things. How do you guys feel about that? Should I keep doing it, or does it seem kinda pointless? Too much visual information on the screen? The alternative would be to skip cutscenes or speed through them.

I'm also debating on letting co-commentators watch the episode before we record, so they know what's going to happen. I'm hoping it might help them keep up a little so they can talk / contribute more, at the cost of live reactions. Good idea or bad idea?

One last thing, ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT. I need a few more commentators to fill out all the episodes I've planned, but I especially need one for the next episode! It'll be focused on Great Bay and Pirate Fortress. So if someone wants to do that, and can record in the next week, please tell me! Tell me your skype name or add me yourself (I'm doctor-kill on skype). First come first serve. I do need a few others for later episodes as well.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 12, 2015

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

YESSSSS.

Loved your OoT LP, totally looking forward to this one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh boy, this is gonna be a good ride! :allears:

Edit: Here's my spoiler, Aghanhim is really Ganon.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 6, 2015

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Loved the OoT thread; fuckin' bookmarked and ready to go on this one.

DoctorKill posted:

In fact, not only are they allowed, they are mandatory. Every post must have a spoiler, from any work of fiction. Make sure you tell me who dies in book 5 of game of thrones before you contribute anything to the thread. If you don't you will be probated, banned, then fired out of a cannon.

Halfway through season 5 of The Walking Dead, Beth gets shot in the head. Right in the noggin.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh poo poo, here we go. I loved the Ocarina playthrough even if I didn't like the game itself very much, but MM is one of my favorite games of all time so this is going to be great.

DoctorKill posted:

Golbez is actually Cecil's brother, it's a really hosed up family.

Artix fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 6, 2015

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm excited for this. MM is my favorite zelda and there is some absolute crazy poo poo you can do in it glitch-wise.

Tetra is actually one of Zelda's descendants and carries around half the triforce of wisdom.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Hello again, friend.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Oh hell yes. Loved the first thread and have been looking forward to this one for a while.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This is going to be really good. :allears:

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Should be interesting, if Ocarina is anything to go by.

Darth Vader kills Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Oh man, I am so excited for this LP! I loved the last one so much.

The Bald Soprano always wears her hair in the same style.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Gonna be cool as hell.

e: snape kills dumbledore

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 6, 2015

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

You're killing this run more than Snape Voldemort kills Dumbledore Snape.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
This is sure to be just as great as when you tricked everyone by only having five medallions in the last LP and ended it by retconning the whole thing out of the canon timeline.

How's that?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Yessssss, ground floor. Loved your OoT run to bits and I'm amped to see you destroy Majora's Mask.

The younger Bob is actually Megabyte, who's become a Trojan Horse virus.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I believe that the reason why the aliens all died at the 0th day glitch is because those aliens aren't supposed to live when it becomes dawn. So they're only meant to be "alive" at night, when this minigame is going on, and when you complete it by surviving until dawn, all remaining aliens just get killed offscreen as soon as dawn breaks. Since you changed it to Dawn through the 0th day, they all died and you won! Congratulations link! :shepface:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

I believe that the reason why the aliens all died at the 0th day glitch is because those aliens aren't supposed to live when it becomes dawn. So they're only meant to be "alive" at night, when this minigame is going on, and when you complete it by surviving until dawn, all remaining aliens just get killed offscreen as soon as dawn breaks. Since you changed it to Dawn through the 0th day, they all died and you won! Congratulations link! :shepface:

I think the other trick is that if you advance time there might be backup code to ensure they Win but when you 0th day you're never going forward so it never goes "Oh just fast forward them to kidnap anyone"

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I've been eagerly anticipating this!

Also, I would like to spoil that Rosebud isn't a person.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I had a fun time by the way. My spoiler is that Romeo and Juliet die at the end.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Does anything else interesting happen on the 0th day? Is it like the mythical 4th day? Also, there's a wacky thing you can do with the dying Zora if you move his body in a very specific location you didn't show off.

Spoiler: The "Zelda timeline" is an artificial attempt by a desperate fandom to weave together basic fairy tails into something more meaningful just so they can argue about it on the internet.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
There's a lot of effects caused by 0th day that I'll be going over in other episodes, but it's hard to use them extensively. The game transitions back into 1st day whenever you load a new area. Because the timer isn't right some events or actors aren't in their proper place, but that specific consequence isn't used for anything else besides the aliens. For instance, Malon isn't on the ranch in 0th day, and talking to some of the people in town, who have day specific dialogue, can softlock or crash the game.

And do you mean picking up the Zora? Yeah, in the English version you hold A to 'grab' the zora and push him to land, in Japanese you just swim against him to push him. Because of that you can get him really close to shore, then pick him up like a pot or crate. But then his walking cutscene / animation happens in your hands, and because he can't move to the spot he needs to go to the game stays in that cutscene forever, making you have to reset.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 7, 2015

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Oh man so pumped for this. That OOT lp was amazing.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I literally never get tired of watching Zelda glitch videos.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
The instakill aliens and that Gorman Brothers minigame were spectacular.

And it's only the first update. :allears:

best friend massage
Sep 12, 2010
Really enjoyed the OoT LP you did, definitely looking forward to this one!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This gonna be good. Definitely up for another video, since your LP got me on a real 3D Zelda splurge.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Oh man, I completely forgot that this was going to be a thing after the OOT run. Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game and seeing all the weird ways this can be broken is going to be great.

Also, you're the first person that I've seen do the 0th day glitch and explain it more than, "It makes it the first day but not." So thanks for that, because it was one of the few glitches that I never really understood what was causing it to happen.

DoctorKill posted:

There's a lot of effects caused by 0th day that I'll be going over in other episodes, but it's hard to use them extensively. The game transitions back into 1st day whenever you load a new area. Because the timer isn't right some events or actors aren't in their proper place, but that specific consequence isn't used for anything else besides the aliens. For instance, Malon isn't on the ranch in 0th day, and talking to some of the people in town, who have day specific dialogue, can softlock or crash the game.

I have a theory about what actually may be happening with the 0th day glitch. I haven't looked at the game logic specifically, but I am a programmer by trade, so take this as you will.

Basically, my theory is Link is dead there are actually 7 days in the game's timeline. You have 3 as manditory Deku Link, then the three proper days, then the credits.

Deku Day 1 ----- Deku Day2----- Deku Day 3-----||---Day 1 ----Day 2----Day 3----|| ---New day (credits)

The || indicate the game over state of the moon crashing down.

When you play the Song of time, it will always bring you to Day 1, right in the middle of the game's timeline. However, when you save at the fake owl statue, the location that is stored for the player is bad, because that owl statue doesn't "exist" in the game sense. This probably corrupts some of the ram safely (as in not causing a crash) and results in you paying the Mayor a visit.

As for some of the actors not being in their proper spot could be due to the game determining their location by the game's date and time. In fact, I'm almost positive that's how it's done. The postman will always be in the exact location at any given time, and when spoken to, time stops.

Anyway, when you successfully complete the 0th day glitch, the game actually sends you back to Deku Day 1 instead of Day 1. That could explain why some of the actors are in odd spots, and some will crash the game if you talk to them. If you talk to the towns people that you normally wouldn't be able to during the Deku Phase, the game probably looks up what day it is to see what they should say. If it's Day 1, 2 or 3, the game will find a match for what that character says, but if it's Deku Day 1, 2, or 3, the game won't find a match, and softlock.

This might also be the reason why certain things are missing from the overworld when Deku Link glitches past the guard. It's still the Deku phase of days, and because you're not supposed to be out there during the Deku Phase, some actors don't load in properly, like the ice in front of the Goron area.

In short, the actors' existence and positions are dependent on which day it is. Actors you wouldn't encounter or talk to during the Deku Phase don't have data for those three days, causing seemingly odd behavior because the 3 days during the Deku phase are different from the main 3 days.

E: Oh man, I just remembered that the original concept for this game was to take place over seven days. If the change from 7 days to 3 days was made after the game had started being programmed, then the structure could have been in place to accommodate 7 days of events, which could actually make this plausible.

S: John was the demons.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 7, 2015

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Oh man, I only just found your Ocarina of Time LP on the archive and loved it, so I'm pretty hyped to be on the ground floor of this one - especially since Majora's mask is pretty much my favorite game in the series.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Oh hell yes, the OOT thread was a blast, and I can't wait to see this one too. :dance:

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Looking forward to seeing if you ditch the introduction gimmick for this series because everything else about these is immaculate. Also The World's power is to stop time.
e: new intro gimmick is way better if it persists, thumbs up emoticon

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 8, 2015

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Velocity Raptor posted:

A really interesting explanation for how this game functions.

That's a pretty neat programming theory on how "time" works in this game. Like you said, makes sense if MM was supposed to have a 7 day cycle. Wouldn't surprise me if they cut it down to 3 days not just due to dev time constraints and core gameplay design, but also because the more complex you make a game like this the more potential for things to not work properly. And considering how much they had to account for in the release version with the 3 day cycle, 7 days would probably have been a nightmare to work on.

Mr. Soop fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 8, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Velocity Raptor posted:

Programmin' stuff

Just so you know, there are lots of other effects that 0th day causes that I haven't gotten to yet! So you may have jumped the gun on guessing at the programming, I haven't given you guys the whole picture yet. Not that I don't appreciate your thoughts, they were interesting.

However, based on my understanding I don't think you're on quite the right track. The deku cycle is different in a number of ways obviously, but I don't think it's mapped out in a timeline-like fashion, being before the 'real' three day cycle. It's more like a modification of the regular three day cycle, the modifications being time moving faster and certain actors not being where they should be. I think this is actually contingent on whether or not you have the ocarina slot filled in your inventory, but I'm not too sure on that. Or the rest of it really, maybe you nailed it. Being in 0th day doesn't speed up the timer or remove the enemies in Termina field though so I have my doubts that it's putting you in the 'deku' cycle.

In any case, saving at the hidden owl statue has been known about for a while, as well as how it throws you into the Mayor's house. The saving mechanic was an added feature in the English version and probably wasn't tested extensively so there's a lot of weird stuff that happens when you mess with it. I believe the trick behind it is that saving at an invalid statue messes up a particular index of where you should start when you load the game, but I don't know why it would lead to all the effects it does. 0th day is pretty strange and I don't know for sure how much the 'community' knows about it.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Oh this is gonna be fun. Incidentally I'd totally be up for co-commenting if you're cool with that. I'll poke you on Skype.
---

Oh, and Rosebud was the sled.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
Yesssss, I was just watching majora's mask in two pauses and was thinking about watching the three day LP again and I get this. I don't think I will ever tire of seeing weird glitchy Majora's Mask speedruns. I just wish there was a lot more playing around with the glitches instead of it just being purely speedrun routed stuff (like the mayor's warp example)

Also spoiler, house of leaves was a book about a movie about a fictional life about a book

Forer fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 8, 2015

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

:neckbeard: Your OoT wrongplay LP was super entertaining, and I am excited to watch this one, especially from the start.

Luke fon Fabre is the clone and Asch is the original. Sync and Ion are both clones of the original Ion.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

DoctorKill posted:

In any case, saving at the hidden owl statue has been known about for a while, as well as how it throws you into the Mayor's house. The saving mechanic was an added feature in the English version and probably wasn't tested extensively so there's a lot of weird stuff that happens when you mess with it. I believe the trick behind it is that saving at an invalid statue messes up a particular index of where you should start when you load the game, but I don't know why it would lead to all the effects it does. 0th day is pretty strange and I don't know for sure how much the 'community' knows about it.

Every owl statue must include information about where it is so the game can spawn you in the right place. The "hidden" owl statue doesn't have that information filled out correctly, so you get "random" data instead (not actually random, just not pulled from a valid owl statue data record), which happens to dump you in the mayor's office. That part at least is straightforward. The rest...presumably someone knows what's going on, but I don't.

Frodo lives.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What happens if you trigger Cremia's hug as a Deku?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Oh sorry, I could've answered that way earlier! My bad. If you are an alternate form she still hugs you, but the animation is based off some midway point on your body, so it can warp the model somewhat to get it to fit. As a deku you just float a little bit and his huge honking head clips through Cremia. As Fierce Deity his knees buckle and his feet shove through the floor, and half of Cremia is inside him.

Note that this is how big Fierce Deity Link actually is compared to Cremia:

• Locked thread