Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

DoctorKill posted:

Dish is actually being very modest, to tell you the truth this LP is mostly him. Between scripting out every word we say and the constant iterations he makes on the bot that is actually playing the game (to make it seem more realistic), he spends around 40-50 hours a week on this venture. I don't even physically speak anymore, I gave him sound samples of me saying all possible English phonemes and he just stitches them all together to make audio. I'm just coasting right now, poo poo's great.

New episode! I thought Dish did a great job making up my audio, everything you crafted sounds exactly like stuff I would say!

Part 11: Stone Tower more like Bone Boner

We finished all over Great Bay in the last episode, and in this one we take in Stone Tower. Since we already have the light arrows, the dungeon let's us come inside easily, and we penetrate its depths, turn it inside out, and deal with its one eyed monster, before the episode comes to a premature and unsatisfying ending, all the while having a nice conversation about how people see innuendo everywhere, even when it's not there.

I had a bit of trouble finding a good stopping point for this episode so it's stops before we complete Stone Tower, that'll be for next time. We get all the fairies though, and I get to show off a few things new things, mostly bat-related. We also talk about Dark Souls, because people can't play video games anymore without referencing it.

At this point we're all pretty sure it's Dish's bot that's posting in the thread too. The real Doctor Kill retired to the Bahamas weeks ago. Occasionally, Dish sends him a post card.

So is this the first time you've actually had the Razor Sword in your inventory, or am I forgetting something? I'm curious if there's any point to getting another bottle of gold dust and heading back to the blacksmith in the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

KieranWalker posted:

So is this the first time you've actually had the Razor Sword in your inventory, or am I forgetting something? I'm curious if there's any point to getting another bottle of gold dust and heading back to the blacksmith in the mountains.

First time I've had it in my inventory, but I've activated its trigger already. And no, there is no point to using the blacksmith, I've already activated the gilded sword trigger by buying it at the curiosity shop. I think it was a quiver.

Sidenote: I plan on making a bonus video, and I need a commentator! It won't be a randomizer thing, consider it a bonus video to the main LP, so it'll be post-commentary. I know there are extra people who have offered that I haven't used yet but they've never contacted me or left me a way to contact them! I want to record this on Thursday or Friday, so if you can do that let me know (sorry it's a bit short notice).

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
What time-zone are you in?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

does ocarina of time have a randomizer mod too

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

ninjewtsu posted:

If not, surely you could just use javascript or python or any other thing to generate Action Replay codes to swap things up randomly? Probably a bit of work to find the memory values to alter.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I can do Friday, any time all day, as long as we wrap before 10 PM CST. You already have me on skype

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

death .cab for qt posted:

I can do Friday, any time all day, as long as we wrap before 10 PM CST. You already have me on skype

You should log in then, because I sent you a message before I made that post and you haven't been online since!

Megaspel posted:

What time-zone are you in?

So I did technically ask death .cab first, but if he doesn't show up or something you can be a backup! I'm in MST (GMT-7), and my Skype is on the first page somewhere.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

ninjewtsu posted:

Yes there is but it's a much different one. A guy named mzxrules, who has done a lot of Ocarina of Time code dissection, made a romhack that randomized all the entrance values of the game and called it Beta Quest. So any time you go into a loading zone, instead of going where it's supposed to take you, you end up at a random other entrance. That makes it a much different experience.

And yes, I did think about doing an LP, but I think Beta Quest is much less oriented toward doing one, because there's a lot of dead time where you're just going in and out of entrance after entrance, just trying to find a useful area. It can also take a really long or really short time to complete: if I want to beat all the bosses, that can take 6-8 hours, but if I want to beat Ganon, that could potentially happen in 10 minutes. I couldn't really think of a good focus for it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Still probably more fun than Master Quest

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DoctorKill posted:

You should log in then, because I sent you a message before I made that post and you haven't been online since!

So I did technically ask death .cab first, but if he doesn't show up or something you can be a backup! I'm in MST (GMT-7), and my Skype is on the first page somewhere.

Slype destroys my CPU so i havent been on in a bit. Should be all good to go though.

Also, why not both?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DoctorKill posted:

Yes there is but it's a much different one. A guy named mzxrules, who has done a lot of Ocarina of Time code dissection, made a romhack that randomized all the entrance values of the game and called it Beta Quest. So any time you go into a loading zone, instead of going where it's supposed to take you, you end up at a random other entrance. That makes it a much different experience.

And yes, I did think about doing an LP, but I think Beta Quest is much less oriented toward doing one, because there's a lot of dead time where you're just going in and out of entrance after entrance, just trying to find a useful area. It can also take a really long or really short time to complete: if I want to beat all the bosses, that can take 6-8 hours, but if I want to beat Ganon, that could potentially happen in 10 minutes. I couldn't really think of a good focus for it.

"Map a new Hyrule until Dish opens fanfiction.net out of boredom. Race to finish before the author obviously did in their own hand."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
There's actually a spreadsheet tool if you want to track the exits it takes you to. Dr. Kill, M.D. was thinking of doing it like this before we realized it would be even more boring and unwatchable than the MM Randomizer... so of course we're recording a session this weekend.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Just to clear things up though, I'm just recording the spreadsheet tool as I update it, not the gameplay or commentary.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Part 12: Horse

The final episode of the Simon saga! Will our heroes finally beat Stone Tower? Will they stop talking about phalluses for even a second? Will they find the loving Kafei Mask loving ANYWHERE Jesus Christ are you kidding me?

...Tune in to find out!

We're done with all the dungeons so this episode is mostly cleaning up stuff around the world, so it's a mostly chill adventure. We're close enough to the end that I can say with certainty that there are only gonna be 2 episodes left! If things go poorly, maybe three, but I'm banking on 2. We're almost done! Let me know if there's a heart piece somewhere you want to see me get for whatever reason, I don't promise I'll actually get it but maybe we can talk and think about it for a bit.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 4, 2016

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Since you didn't try it in the video, I feel like it's worth mentioning that the Randomizer makes it so you can wear the Fierce Deity's Mask anywhere.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So if you got the Fierce Deity's Mask, is it possible another mask is in its original place thus locking you out of it getting whatever it is?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

So if you got the Fierce Deity's Mask, is it possible another mask is in its original place thus locking you out of it getting whatever it is?

He said he didn't need to turn in every mask to get the Fierce Deity Mask, so maybe that's another change in this hack?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Goht 3DS wasn't as fun as Goht 64, but overall not too bad. You could make an argument that Odolwa 3DS was better, though I missed him dancing in his idle stance. That puts them head and shoulders above Gyorg and Twinmold 3DS.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Nihilarian posted:

Goht 3DS wasn't as fun as Goht 64, but overall not too bad. You could make an argument that Odolwa 3DS was better, though I missed him dancing in his idle stance. That puts them head and shoulders above Gyorg and Twinmold 3DS.

3DS Gyorg is completely unforgivable, though. The new second phase of that fight took me almost 12 hours of slowed down time to complete. By the time I won, I had one hour of ingame time left, which resulted in me missing getting to the fairy fountain in time. It was great having to go back through the temple a second time!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

He said he didn't need to turn in every mask to get the Fierce Deity Mask, so maybe that's another change in this hack?

Oh whoops, I missed that!

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Yeah that's right, you just receive the item from moon kid, you don't have to turn in a bunch of masks. This is really good because if he didn't do that, you could easily never be able to get that item, plus it means you can skip the moon trials.

CaptianKatsura posted:

Since you didn't try it in the video, I feel like it's worth mentioning that the Randomizer makes it so you can wear the Fierce Deity's Mask anywhere.

And yeah this is true but since we've beaten most of the bosses then there's not much to use it on! If I remember, I'll play around with it a little bit next time we record.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just wanna s/o to Simon for refusing to end an LP video without saying "Thank you for your attention", that's some dedication.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

death .cab for qt posted:

Just wanna s/o to Simon for refusing to end an LP video without saying "Thank you for your attention", that's some dedication.
well thank you for yours <3

Nihilarian posted:

Gyorg 3DS is good because it's not Gyorg 64. I would rather fight Ornstein and Smough and Ornstein and Smough than Gyorg 64 though, so take that with a grain of salt (also, say it 10 times fast!). And Twinmold 3DS owns what is wrong with you.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Simply Simon posted:

well thank you for yours <3

Gyorg 3DS is good because it's not Gyorg 64. I would rather fight Ornstein and Smough and Ornstein and Smough than Gyorg 64 though, so take that with a grain of salt (also, say it 10 times fast!). And Twinmold 3DS owns what is wrong with you.

The prospect of a 4-on-1 fight makes me shudder.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Bonus: Hither into Stone Tower, No Quivering, No Bow Nor Bowing

Here's that bonus video I mentioned! Coming along for the ride is death .cab for qt, and we go into Stone Tower YET AGAIN, but this time to show off how a proper "Reverse Dungeon Order" route would have worked. This episode shows how to get all the fairies of Stone Tower (the most involved part of the dungeon) without having to enter Woodfall first to get the bow. It's pretty complicated!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
"Complicated" is right.

Now, I'm curious about something. Is the inverted Stone Tower (not the temple, but the tower itself) a different map from the normal tower? I'm just fascinated by pondering how the inversion thing works mechanically in the game engine. I imagine the interior of the temple just sets a flag as to whether Link's going to be on the floor or the ceiling...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
That was crazy. You're playing this game at a level where I borderline expect you to just start placing actors wherever you want and calling event triggers on demand. Transform Majora's Mask into your own personal garry's mod.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

And Twinmold 3DS owns what is wrong with you.
I spent like half an hour desperately trying to punch him enough to get him to the part where you can actually damage him, over and over and over again. That was the first time I actually looked something up for MM3DS, because I was hoping I'd gotten the wrong idea and you were supposed to do something else, but nope.

other than Goht I don't have any particular fondness for the 64 bosses, I'm more impressed that they actually found ways to make them worse

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That was crazy. You're playing this game at a level where I borderline expect you to just start placing actors wherever you want and calling event triggers on demand. Transform Majora's Mask into your own personal garry's mod.

It's not entirely unprecedented. Someone made Mario Maker inside of Super Mario World by placing some shells in specific places and a lot of frame-perfect TAS inputs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Megaspel posted:

It's not entirely unprecedented. Someone made Mario Maker inside of Super Mario World by placing some shells in specific places and a lot of frame-perfect TAS inputs.

Check this one out.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Megaspel posted:

there's a different smw run where he uses the ace bug to program a game of snake using smw sprites. there's also a yoshi's (island?) run where he uses ace to program an entire shell with commands that launch different animations and games. it's really impressive what people can do with a little bit of assembly programming skill and a whole lot of free time.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Reminds me a lot of the pokemon GBC game glitches. I couldn't find the specific bug I was thinking about that involves faffing with inventory item order and stuff since there are so many bugs for those games.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

KieranWalker posted:

Now, I'm curious about something. Is the inverted Stone Tower (not the temple, but the tower itself) a different map from the normal tower? I'm just fascinated by pondering how the inversion thing works mechanically in the game engine. I imagine the interior of the temple just sets a flag as to whether Link's going to be on the floor or the ceiling...

Not really sure on that one honestly, it's probably a different map that just shares flags since that seems easier to program, but I don't know. Somewhat related to this though, I've mentioned that the Giant's Mask works by transporting you to a different map that just makes you seem big. Turns out this other map is directly above the normal map, far far above, and with enough hovering you can get up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKvTZoPStho

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Someone has made some custom code to in fact do stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/antiformant/status/687717302154870785

https://twitter.com/antiformant/status/687854472148602880

https://twitter.com/antiformant/status/686954242972622848

Literal assembly code that I think he injects directly into the roms. I don't really know how that works though.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Megaspel posted:

Reminds me a lot of the pokemon GBC game glitches. I couldn't find the specific bug I was thinking about that involves faffing with inventory item order and stuff since there are so many bugs for those games.

Yeah the R/B 151 pokemon speedrun uses arbitrary execution like that to spawn pokemon you can't catch in that version. Some runs use more of it, but it's evidently really easy to gently caress up and crash your game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DoctorKill posted:

Not really sure on that one honestly, it's probably a different map that just shares flags since that seems easier to program, but I don't know.

That would be the logical way to do it. When you activate or open a chest, have a flag that makes a dummy chest appear/open on the ceiling of the counterpart map. Very straightforward. It's pretty clearly a different map as enemy and item layouts and other effects (water, skylights, wind, lava, etc) change between the two. What doesn't make any goddamn sense at all is why the "dummy" chests are fully functional and contain the items found in their right-side-up counterparts. That is just really puzzling to me. I don't get it at all :psyduck:

I'm sure some data miner in the game's community knows the answer. I'd be interested to learn it!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Mak0rz posted:

That would be the logical way to do it. When you activate or open a chest, have a flag that makes a dummy chest appear/open on the ceiling of the counterpart map. Very straightforward. It's pretty clearly a different map as enemy and item layouts and other effects (water, skylights, wind, lava, etc) change between the two. What doesn't make any goddamn sense at all is why the "dummy" chests are fully functional and contain the items found in their right-side-up counterparts. That is just really puzzling to me. I don't get it at all :psyduck:

I'm sure some data miner in the game's community knows the answer. I'd be interested to learn it!

I dunno, I think it would probably be pretty easily and handily explained by someone taking the contents of the map and flipping them all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

They're almost certainly fully-functional (albeit upside-down) chests tied to the same object ID as is in the regular chest. Why bother making a dummy object that you then have to make certain is properly updated, when you can just invert a real one? Nobody should be able to open them anyway.

Cheez posted:

I dunno, I think it would probably be pretty easily and handily explained by someone taking the contents of the map and flipping them all.

This, however, I suspect is not the case. I mean yes, intuitively it makes sense to work this way, but I expect that too much of the map design must take into account the foibles of the physics engine (which is directionally oriented due to gravity) for an inverted map to cleanly work. You'd end up having to add a bunch of patches to say "okay, use the inverted map, but in this room, adjust this wall vertex by (X, y)" and at that point you might as well just make a whole new map and do your customizations that way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

They're almost certainly fully-functional (albeit upside-down) chests tied to the same object ID as is in the regular chest.

Oh, yeah that makes way more sense actually. I obviously don't know much about how the game is built :downs:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The two Stone Tower levels are indeed different -- Z_INISIE_N and Z_INISIE_R. I imagine the graphics between them is the same, but the collision is different. I could actually spend a bit of time adapting zelview to view MM scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah the R/B 151 pokemon speedrun uses arbitrary execution like that to spawn pokemon you can't catch in that version. Some runs use more of it, but it's evidently really easy to gently caress up and crash your game.

The first three generations of Pokemon games all have some manner of ACE in them, although I think the version the Gen 3 games have is so convoluted and slow it's faster to beat the game normally, so the speedruns don't use it.

• Locked thread