Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Deal, buster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
New episode! Finally! I wanted this to go up on Halloween but I've been sick for like a week now, head all filled up with at least one kind of humor. It would've made for bad audio so I delayed until I sounded a bit better.

Part 5: Mummies to Placate, Getting Chummy with Great Bay

In this episode, Simply Simon and I go up against a menagerie of spooks and scares like the horrible mummies or the giant eyeball, but we bravely conquer our fears of undead far too slow to ever be a real threat and of the monster literally made out of the weakest part of the body and 'finish up' Great Bay Temple, while getting a few chores done along the way.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 4, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
By the way, in this episode I get the Great Fairy Sword and I didn't really talk about it, so I'll mention a few things here. Normally you get this sword pretty late in the game, but obviously since I've 'done' stone tower I can get it now. And it's pretty useful! The swords in this game do have a damage stat, with the Kokiri Sword doing 1 damage per slash, and each sword upgrade adds 1 more damage (Razr = 2, Gilded = 3). The Great Fairy Sword is 1 more than the gilded, at 4 damage, making it the best sword. And since jump attacks do double the base damage, a jump attack with the fairy sword does 8 damage, equivalent to 8 Kokiri Sword slashes. Pretty good!

It's also a C button item, and this can actually be pretty significant in regards to glitches. At the very least it means I can always trigger the infinite sword glitch, even if I don't have a sword on B (and don't have sticks). It also acts like the Biggoron sword in OoT, where Link doesn't slash it when he pulls it out, which is also actually helpful for a few things.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's too bad you get the Great Fairy Sword so late in the game because there's really nothing left to use it on. The only boss left is Majora and if you're doing all Masks, you'll have Fierce Deity for that.

Speaking of which, what damage value are associated with the Fierce Deity's Sword and the little buzzsaws it throws out? Is it 4 or 5?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FPzero posted:

It's too bad you get the Great Fairy Sword so late in the game because there's really nothing left to use it on. The only boss left is Majora and if you're doing all Masks, you'll have Fierce Deity for that.

Speaking of which, what damage value are associated with the Fierce Deity's Sword and the little buzzsaws it throws out? Is it 4 or 5?
You can carve up a bunch of minibosses with it, though. That's nice. And you can always refight bosses if you want to!

Oh, and I tried to remember the Great Bay miniboss' name during the vid, but I failed. Then as I went to sleep that night, I remembered! ...the German name. From the mentioned guide. It's Warzenauge! Wart-eye!

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

FPzero posted:

The Fierce Deity Sword is as strong as the Great Fairy Sword, 4 damage for slashes, 8 for jump attacks. The energy saws it throws do 6 damage, so stronger than any slash but not stronger than jump attacks. You can shoot them so fast though so they usually kill faster.

Simply Simon posted:

Oh, and I tried to remember the Great Bay miniboss' name during the vid, but I failed. Then as I went to sleep that night, I remembered! ...the German name. From the mentioned guide. It's Warzenauge! Wart-eye!

The German boss names are pretty good, I'm pretty sure you've mentioned some before? I love them all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That was a good episode. You aren't playing this game properly. This is a good thing.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
After what you did to the Great Bay Temple, I'm particularly looking forward to you breaking apart Snowhead. :allears:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DoctorKill posted:

The Fierce Deity Sword is as strong as the Great Fairy Sword, 4 damage for slashes, 8 for jump attacks. The energy saws it throws do 6 damage, so stronger than any slash but not stronger than jump attacks. You can shoot them so fast though so they usually kill faster.

The German boss names are pretty good, I'm pretty sure you've mentioned some before? I love them all.
I think I listed all the OoT boss subtitles in that thread, yeah. The MM ones aren't too exciting. To recall:

Willenloser Dschungelkrieger Odolwa (mindless jungle warrior)
Stählerner Alptraum Goht (steel nightmare, okay that one owns)
Versklavter Wächter der Meere Gyorg (enslaved guardian of the seas, gently caress you anyway, should have been called Fickfisch)
Seelenlose Wüstenkriecher Twinmold (soulless desert creepers)

I looked up the other miniboss names and they're eh. "Zaurob" for wizzrobe is pretty funny (portmanteau of Zauberer and Robe, wizard and robe, so very faithful), the eye is apparently official just "Die Warze" (the wart), and the Gekko's (the frog miniboss of great bay) bubble is called "Schizo-Schleim" (schleim = slime) :v:.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
... we are not actually going to fight any of the bosses are we?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I only did this temple for the first time a few months ago (3ds version, never got past Snowhead on the original), so it's interesting to see the same stuff getting done completely differently here.

I can think of a few places where I'd have loved to know that Bombchus worked underwater.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 5, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Morroque posted:

... we are not actually going to fight any of the bosses are we?

I'm guessing we are, but near the end. Fighting a boss changes its side of the world map completely, so this might set some flags Doctor Shill doesn't want to trigger yet.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Can you burn gibdos in A Link to the Past with the lantern in some way? I'm 100% certain the fire rod and bombos medallion instantly kills them and does not reveal a skeleton.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Can you burn gibdos in A Link to the Past with the lantern in some way? I'm 100% certain the fire rod and bombos medallion instantly kills them and does not reveal a skeleton.
Whoops, you are right and I misremembered. You can reveal the Stalfos as early as Link's Awakening, though, in the Oracles too, Minish Cap and Link Between Worlds (maybe I confused those ones with LttP's).

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Since I was late AGAIN for the last episode (according to my arbitrary calendar) here's another episode already! This time me and Zeikier are walkin' in the winter wonderland of Snowhead Temple.

Part 6: Snowhead, Cold Dread, Goht's Dead, Gold Tread

The audio in this one is actually a bit rough, there were a lot of pops that ended up in the recording that I couldn't just take out. Turns out audio editing software isn't actually magic! I'm kind of disappointed. I dealt with them as best I could, they are now closer to snaps and crackles instead of pops, but let me know if this rice krispie poo poo is no good. If it's too bad I could... redo the episode I guess? We'll see.

In any case, I would say the tricks in Snowhead are a little more 'grounded,' there's nothing too crazy going on. The way I get into Snowhead is pretty involved, and if you've ever seen a speedrun you'll know how I do it, but I also really hate doing it so I don't want to give it too much credit. If you've enjoyed the temples so far though I think you'll enjoy this one too.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Poor Chad. I hope he's doing okay. :ohdear:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I've noticed several times you'll just drop a bomb, throw it off wherever, and then go do something unrelated, what's going on there? A misfire, or some sort of weird luck manipulation, or what?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ArcMage posted:

I've noticed several times you'll just drop a bomb, throw it off wherever, and then go do something unrelated, what's going on there? A misfire, or some sort of weird luck manipulation, or what?

He's activating Infinite Sword Glitch off it by interrupting a sword slash with picking up a bomb.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

ArcMage posted:

Am I stabbing the bomb? I'm using it to get Infinite Sword Glitch, if you interrupt a crouch stab on a specific frame of the animation by picking something up (or talking to something, or getting hit in the shield by something), you activate the glitch. I don't always have a use for the bomb afterwards so I throw it away sometimes. If you're asking about the part where I just pulled out a bomb and threw it offscreen, that was me accidentally pulling out a bomb, so yeah it's a misfire.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Also, related question -- why do you sometimes use bombs when you have plenty of chus left? Do you want to save your chus for later, or do they actually give you different heights or distances in your hover?

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Well they do have kind of different uses for heights / distances? It's always easier and faster to move with bombchus because I have direct control over when they explode, since they explode when I shield. I have to time when I jump away from a bomb, since I have to be in it's blast radius when it explodes. You have way more control over chus so they are definitely much better for hovering (although I can use bombs for megaflipping).

But I can really only restock bombchus at the store, unlike bombs which are found everywhere (and filled by bomb bag upgrades), so I have to manage their use to minimize shop trips. I didn't completely plan out every single chu I use though so I kind of winged it for some parts. In this case I wanted a whole bunch of chus to hover over the Goron Race rock.

By the way, I also had to use the blast mask that one time I hovered off of it because the one weakness chus have is that under certain circumstances they cling to walls / floors / slopes and scuttle away, meaning you can't hover off them. That area above the rock is one of those areas, so I just had to use to mask, which always explodes. I also pause buffered there because the timing of hovering off the mask is different - it's more precise. That and it's long cool down time makes it not very useful for hovering, usually.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Goht always gave me a lot of trouble so it was good to see him taken out so easily

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I just found this thread and watched the first video. I loved your OoT LP and was looking forward to this one eventually showing up. Should be a fun time!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Goht was always my favorite boss just because it's so fun to fight him the intended way. This was a neat alternative and I can't believe you one-rounded him! That sword is just too strong!

e: Actually, I was really hoping that the Epona warp in Showhead would take her to the Goht fight so you could fight him while on horseback. THAT would have been awesome to see.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

DoctorKill posted:

By the way, I also had to use the blast mask that one time I hovered off of it because the one weakness chus have is that under certain circumstances they cling to walls / floors / slopes and scuttle away, meaning you can't hover off them. That area above the rock is one of those areas, so I just had to use to mask, which always explodes. I also pause buffered there because the timing of hovering off the mask is different - it's more precise. That and it's long cool down time makes it not very useful for hovering, usually.

I don't think I mentioned it in the video at the time, but Low% for this game only gets the Bomb mask and use it for hovers. And before the wrong statue glitch was discovered, back when you had to hover up stone tower, which normally takes like 10 minutes or something turns into like 6 hours because you have to constantly wait for the bomb mask to recharge.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, with the getting into Snowhead trick, it sounded like if you fell off, you couldn't try it ever again. I'm assuming if you make your way back through a fairy fountain to the mountain top, then you get another try, right? It'd just take a lot of time.

And an unrelated question about that saving on Epona glitch: what happens if you play Epona's song while on Epona?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, with the getting into Snowhead trick, it sounded like if you fell off, you couldn't try it ever again. I'm assuming if you make your way back through a fairy fountain to the mountain top, then you get another try, right? It'd just take a lot of time.

Most of the time speedrunners will just abort runs if they make a major mistake that loses them a lot of time.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Carbon dioxide posted:

And an unrelated question about that saving on Epona glitch: what happens if you play Epona's song while on Epona?

Yeah there's nothing physically stopping me from trying again, when I say I "couldn't try again" there I meant I couldn't redo the trick right then, from the fairy fountain. I'd have to fly away, buy more chus, get back to the fairy fountain, hover again, etc., which is a huge waste of time. I was actually lucky, I did fail the trick once but it was from getting hit by a snowball, and the wind wasn't blowing so I fell into the void close to the fountain entrance, which sets me back there. Where you 'spawn' after you void is determined by what point of the map you void at, which is usually far away because of the wind blowing you.

Some aspect of this is different in the Japanese version in a way that gives you more leeway, I don't know if it's because you void out faster and thus closer to the fountain, or if you always spawn back where you entered or something.

Oh and if you play Epona's song on Epona nothing probably happens, but I haven't specifically tried it.

MissileWaster posted:

I don't think I mentioned it in the video at the time, but Low% for this game only gets the Bomb mask and use it for hovers. And before the wrong statue glitch was discovered, back when you had to hover up stone tower, which normally takes like 10 minutes or something turns into like 6 hours because you have to constantly wait for the bomb mask to recharge.

Yeah I only know of one person who's actually done a Low% run and I have watched it, but I tuned away when he did the stone tower hover. It takes about 30-40 minutes of straight hovering, which is pretty bad. You would still do this method even now that they've found the owl glitch, because in low% you never get the song of soaring.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I'm kinda sad there's no way to get Epona into Goht's room (if I'm not mistaken). Epona vs. Goht would be the best thing ever.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DoctorKill posted:

Yeah I only know of one person who's actually done a Low% run and I have watched it, but I tuned away when he did the stone tower hover. It takes about 30-40 minutes of straight hovering, which is pretty bad. You would still do this method even now that they've found the owl glitch, because in low% you never get the song of soaring.

Do they count bomb and bomb bag as two separate items in a low%, then? I can't imagine why you'd use the mask over bombs if they weren't.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

fool_of_sound posted:

Do they count bomb and bomb bag as two separate items in a low%, then? I can't imagine why you'd use the mask over bombs if they weren't.

I assume it's because the bomb mask is an unlimited quantity of bombs, and you need to do some large hovers in low% which the bomb bag wouldn't give enough explosives to do.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
You can skip buying the bomb bag 20 and just buy the bomb bag 30 which is enough to do the hovers, but bombs and bomb bag do actually count as two separate items according to the "rules."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ephraim225 posted:

I'm kinda sad there's no way to get Epona into Goht's room (if I'm not mistaken). Epona vs. Goht would be the best thing ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyH_u5l3LQ

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
So when I first mentioned doing this LP someone suggested doing something to make the Goron race more interesting. Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to glitch your way through it... in real time. By using emulation tools you can record impossibly precise controller inputs that a normal human can't do in real life, and actually 'win' the Goron race as a human. While I sort of know how to do something like this, it would take me a really long time to figure out how to do it properly - luckily, someone has already done it!

Here's a video, by a guy named GlitchesAndStuff, who's a somewhat prominent Zelda glitcher. He's found a lot of cool stuff for both OoT and MM, and he occasionally makes these "tool assisted" videos to show off neat glitches. In this case he uses a HESS (or HISS he calls it) to move backwards really fast and do the race. He uses computer tools to both keep up the proper controller inputs but to also manage the rng so that none of the Gorons hit him.

Unfortunately, doing it this way means you can't actually get the gold dust prize. You have to trigger the 0th day glitch I've shown before, to 'mix forms,' so that you can talk to the baby as a Goron but the race loads as a human. But doing this resets all quest triggers, including the Goron race being open, so while it starts the race, it doesn't load the end properly and you don't get anything. It's neat to watch though.

And don't ask how he wears the Goron mask as a regular mask, I'm not too sure on that.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I love that shield glitch so much.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

DoctorKill posted:

And don't ask how he wears the Goron mask as a regular mask, I'm not too sure on that.

I consider this the canonical way Link wearing the masks actually looks like, while everyone just sees the spirit of the mask instead of some kid wearing a dumb mask and we're just seeing beyond the veil in that video. :v:

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
So I've got a question for y'all. We're actually getting kinda close to the end - there are gonna be 9 episodes, so we're 2/3rds of the way done. However, I've been thinking about doing a bonus thing after this main LP. Specifically, I was thinking about doing a playthrough of something called the Majora's Mask Randomizer. What that is is a mod to the game that randomizes all items you get, i.e. masks, weapons, upgrades. So if you pick up deku nuts, or grab a mask from somewhere, the game will instead randomly give you some other item, like fire arrows, or the biggest bomb bag. You can guess this makes playing through it pretty different! For instance, it wouldn't be a good idea to enter a temple until I've already found the item the temple normally gives you.

If I were to do this, I would probably attempt to get all masks and upgrades, as well as beat the game obviously. I would also probably comment while playing, along with some other people, and probably not edit the episodes too much. So it would look a little more like a regular LP, but I'd still be doing tricks and probably filling in any information I didn't get to in this main videos. I would also maybe stream it? Not sure.

Does that sound interesting to you guys? Is it worth doing?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy poo poo, yeah, I would watch the hell out of that. Anything that involves more Majora's Mask is a great idea.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
That sounds fantastic, please do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Do it and also try to give us a live insight into your routing process as the game continually fucks you over.

• Locked thread