Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Oh man, I completely forgot that this was going to be a thing after the OOT run. Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game and seeing all the weird ways this can be broken is going to be great.

Also, you're the first person that I've seen do the 0th day glitch and explain it more than, "It makes it the first day but not." So thanks for that, because it was one of the few glitches that I never really understood what was causing it to happen.

DoctorKill posted:

There's a lot of effects caused by 0th day that I'll be going over in other episodes, but it's hard to use them extensively. The game transitions back into 1st day whenever you load a new area. Because the timer isn't right some events or actors aren't in their proper place, but that specific consequence isn't used for anything else besides the aliens. For instance, Malon isn't on the ranch in 0th day, and talking to some of the people in town, who have day specific dialogue, can softlock or crash the game.

I have a theory about what actually may be happening with the 0th day glitch. I haven't looked at the game logic specifically, but I am a programmer by trade, so take this as you will.

Basically, my theory is Link is dead there are actually 7 days in the game's timeline. You have 3 as manditory Deku Link, then the three proper days, then the credits.

Deku Day 1 ----- Deku Day2----- Deku Day 3-----||---Day 1 ----Day 2----Day 3----|| ---New day (credits)

The || indicate the game over state of the moon crashing down.

When you play the Song of time, it will always bring you to Day 1, right in the middle of the game's timeline. However, when you save at the fake owl statue, the location that is stored for the player is bad, because that owl statue doesn't "exist" in the game sense. This probably corrupts some of the ram safely (as in not causing a crash) and results in you paying the Mayor a visit.

As for some of the actors not being in their proper spot could be due to the game determining their location by the game's date and time. In fact, I'm almost positive that's how it's done. The postman will always be in the exact location at any given time, and when spoken to, time stops.

Anyway, when you successfully complete the 0th day glitch, the game actually sends you back to Deku Day 1 instead of Day 1. That could explain why some of the actors are in odd spots, and some will crash the game if you talk to them. If you talk to the towns people that you normally wouldn't be able to during the Deku Phase, the game probably looks up what day it is to see what they should say. If it's Day 1, 2 or 3, the game will find a match for what that character says, but if it's Deku Day 1, 2, or 3, the game won't find a match, and softlock.

This might also be the reason why certain things are missing from the overworld when Deku Link glitches past the guard. It's still the Deku phase of days, and because you're not supposed to be out there during the Deku Phase, some actors don't load in properly, like the ice in front of the Goron area.

In short, the actors' existence and positions are dependent on which day it is. Actors you wouldn't encounter or talk to during the Deku Phase don't have data for those three days, causing seemingly odd behavior because the 3 days during the Deku phase are different from the main 3 days.

E: Oh man, I just remembered that the original concept for this game was to take place over seven days. If the change from 7 days to 3 days was made after the game had started being programmed, then the structure could have been in place to accommodate 7 days of events, which could actually make this plausible.

S: John was the demons.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread