Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The sirloin trick is just too good, that's hilarious.

Spoiler: Samus does nothing important in Other M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's too bad the Razor Sword has its 100 hit limitation because it has one of the most unique sword designs in the whole Zelda series in my opinion. Actually it's probably the most unique because I can't think of any other sword that's like it other than the Fierce Deity Sword.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's too bad you get the Great Fairy Sword so late in the game because there's really nothing left to use it on. The only boss left is Majora and if you're doing all Masks, you'll have Fierce Deity for that.

Speaking of which, what damage value are associated with the Fierce Deity's Sword and the little buzzsaws it throws out? Is it 4 or 5?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Goht was always my favorite boss just because it's so fun to fight him the intended way. This was a neat alternative and I can't believe you one-rounded him! That sword is just too strong!

e: Actually, I was really hoping that the Epona warp in Showhead would take her to the Goht fight so you could fight him while on horseback. THAT would have been awesome to see.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yes I love this idea, please do it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

DoctorKill posted:

Wow ok, didn't expect such a quick response. I'll go ahead and do that then.

So I'll probably talk about it when I play it, but it seems there are some checks to avoid impossible situations. Obviously you can't check all possible situations so there could be some issues. But yes I think that can happen, it's not a problem though.

And yeah I've streamed and talked while doing races and stuff, so I'm not too concerned, but I'm not sure the best way to both stream and upload to youtube. Ideally I'd want to stream lower quality while recording high quality, for both audio and video, but I don't really know the best way to do that. So I might just not stream, I'm still thinking about it.

Having watched the first couple of OoT videos you did, I think I can say that your LP really hit a better stride when you had a guest to explain things to and bounce conversation off of. If you're looking to still have guest commentary available, you can always stream with someone there to be amazed at the situations you get into. There's also a way to use a program called VoiceMeeter to send the audio of whatever's happening on your computer through a Skype call for instance, meaning you could have one person in a call with you viewing what you're doing through Skype screen share and also hearing the game audio, all without having to run a stream at the same time. I'm working out this exact setup for a project Faerie Fortune and I are planning and she's the one that taught me how this VoiceMeeter setup works. I know she also uses it for her Pikmin LPs.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That's probably for the best. Majora's Mask can get pretty obtuse with its puzzles sometimes, not to mention the potential to be screwed over by a major item being in any random chest would be very high I'd imagine.

This coming from someone who has played a randomizer of Metroid Prime.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

pointlessone posted:

How on earth would that work? There's only two chances to get the missile launcher (space jump and the actual launcher) that I can think of before you're stuck. I'd love to see someone do a run off this.

It's very hard.

Serious answer, by default it does not randomize the locations of Morph Ball, Missile Launcher and Bombs so you have some chance to progress. However, a lot of settings you will need to have extensive knowledge of the glitches and out of bounds travel methods, otherwise known as wallcrawling. There is a setting on the randomizer that doesn't require any wallcrawling but you still might need to know some of the more basic, less technical speedrun and sequence breaking tricks. On the other hand, it's a lot of fun to blow open a wall in Chozo Ruins and get Plasma Beam.

Most runs are impossible due to beams being trapped behind areas you need that beam to get into but the randomizer can now check for impossible wins and just generate a new run without you even having to play it. It's still very hard.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Link: Time Traveller, Child Kidnapper.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well that was nothing short of amazing as a final episode. The Twinmold fight had me laughing.

Are you still going forward with the plans for the randomizer run?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I vote for "f commas" now.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Man I love natural logarithms.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

So I've been playing this randomizer for the past few days but I didn't want to take the wind out of the LP by talking about it before it began. Now that it has, I can say that it gets pretty insane regarding what gives you items. I'm not a big fan of the bottle items being randomized though because although it's fun to have a massively plentiful source of Big Poes to sell at the Curiosity Shop, I haven't found Bugs, Red Potion, or Hot Spring Water. Basically, all the unique bottle items have overwritten the common, useful ones for me and it's a pain.

Still though, it is a very fun randomizer and half the fun comes from trying to remember what conditions give you items, then seeing if you get something that allows you access to other stuff. If you're looking for more guests DoctorKill, I'd love to come on and try puzzling out how to beat The Adventure of f commas MoonMoon. My Skype is in my profile.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 24, 2015

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't remember where the Pendant came from but the Letter overwrote the Pendant's slot.

The first time I played the randomizer, I got a free Razor Sword from the Bomber's Notebook. Unfortunately, I bought the All-Night Mask and it was the Bomber's Notebook so no more free swords for me! :(

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yeah it's a little disappointing that you got so much crucial stuff so early. Looks like there won't be any really crazy item shenanigans dictating you go a certain place because you can't find a source of fire like in my run. Good luck finding the rest of the masks though. I have a feeling one of them will be stuck behind a locked out Couple's Mask portion but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mak0rz posted:

I've tried a good number of them. The problem with them (as with all ROM hacks) is that they are insanely difficult to the point where they are extremely unfun. I've been waiting for an "easy mode" hack of SM Redesign for years now.

Unfortunately, Axeil Edition (an edition of Redesign supposed to be easy enough for Axeil, who did the original LP to be able to beat without as much trouble) did finally release but in an ironic twist of fate people seem to find it harder than the original mostly due to some very stubborn decision-making by Drewseph when he revamped Tourian.

And yeah, randomizers are fun but one of the problems with almost all of them is that while it's hilarious to get really powerful items early but that means the late game difficulty is totally broken or you're stuck wandering around nearly-maxed out looking for that one item that isn't very useful but is totally required to beat the game that you normally would've gotten a few hours ago.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mak0rz posted:

I should check this out! Can you elaborate on the bit about stubborn Tourian decisions? How is the Axeil version harder in that case?

The page for its release is on Metroid Construction's forums. As for the difficulties, I've heard there are some laser barriers used to block progress that have the side effect of two-shotting you (they used to one-shot you) and apparently the Metroid AI is way too smart and actively dodges everything thrown at them while also being very fast and deadly. That part may have been addressed in the latest updates but I'm not sure. Overall it has some REALLY nice quality of life improvements like an active hint system and a really detailed map that probably make it a superior version, but an excess of 25-missile doors and some other difficulty issues stopped me from beating it. I have not played the latest version though, which apparently addressed a fair number of complaints including some of the ones he was more stubborn about leaving alone.

If you (or anyone else) want any other info on it or other SM romhacks, feel free to shoot me a PM so we don't derail this thread too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Thanks for this! I ran the randomizer on my own a while back and man, it was a lot of fun. Didn't finish it because, as with most randomizers, it gets a little boring after the initial laughs of finding a really good item from lategame early on but it's still a fun thing to try out now and again.

edit: Oh yeah, when I tried it I played with fcommas as my filename and yeah, #blamesimon, that was pretty crazy.

• Locked thread