Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Hello, I'm Doctor Kill, AKA Doctor Thrill: Like a Roller Coaster™, and I'm going to show you how to play Majora's Mask Super Wrong.

What is Majora's Mask?
Majora's Mask (MM) is a web 2.0 media experience that relies on collaborative social media experimentation to communicate insightful and meaningful messages through the simplistic, childish medium of action adventure video games.

Pretty sure Majora's Mask has been LP'd before
Yeah but they haven't dones it the way I does it.

You've got me hooked pal, tell me more about this Let Us Play
The point of this LP is to play Majora's Mask all messed up. If you watched my Ocarina of Time LP (found here), then the general concept should be familiar, but basically I want to show off the glitches of this game and how you can use them to still accomplish the many goals this game has.

To that extent I made a few vague and arbitrary rules to help me outline what I can show off, while still keeping it somewhat focused so I don't have to show off literally every little thing in the game:

1. I will be collecting all masks and items, but not necessarily item upgrades.
2. I will try to use as many glitches as I can to get those things, as long as it isn't too tedious or boring to do.
3. I will not be collecting all heart pieces
4. I will complete all the main dungeons, but not necessarily the side dungeons.
5. I will be 'finishing' dungeons in reverse order, by which I mean collecting the map, compass, dungeon item, and fairies, then getting to the boss room. But for various reasons I won't always beat the boss at that point.
6. I will not be using the deku, goron, or zora forms in their respective dungeons, with 3 specific exceptions (none of the exceptions are the bosses).

Anything else?
Knowing the general progression of the game and its sidequests will probably help in understanding why the glitches I do are significant. However, as glitches happen, I'll do my best to explain how they work as well as what is 'normally' supposed to happen or what is being skipped, to help people who aren't as familiar with the game.

And just to clarify, everything shown off in these videos will be me directly playing the game, with no cheats activated or anything like that. You should be able to replicate any of it on any console version, though I play on Virtual Console for speed and ease.

And if you want to learn more about Majora's Mask glitches, be sure to check out ZeldaSpeedRuns, that's where I learned a lot of what I'm going to show off!

Spoiler Policy
This is LP is focused on glitches, not story. A lot of people really enjoy the MM story / narrative, but more than likely there won't be any focus on it. As such, I don't care about any spoilers, spoilers are allowed, especially because I'll be doing so many things out of order anyway.

In fact, not only are they allowed, they are mandatory. Every post must have a spoiler, from any work of fiction. Make sure you tell me who dies in book 5 of game of thrones before you contribute anything to the thread. If you don't you will be probated, banned, then fired out of a cannon.

VIDEOS

FULL LP PLAYLIST

Part 1: Saving Ladies from Aliens and Raiders (feat. WilliamAnderson)

Part 2: Hiding from Pirates, Chiding the Spiders (feat. Word on the Wind)

Part 3: Exploring the Moors and Soaring to Gorons. (feat. ChaosArgate)

Part 4: Power through Stone Tower at Zero Hour (feat. MissileWaster)

Part 5: Mummies to Placate, Getting Chummy with Great Bay (feat. Simply Simon)

Part 6: Snowhead, Cold Dread, Goht's Dead, Gold Tread (feat. Zeikier)

Part 7: Grave Rob Em, Blaze Problems, Slaying Mobs Like It's Sodom (feat. Azzanadra)

Part 8: Gyorg's Bubbly Grasp, it's a Troubled Task, so's the Couple's Mask (feat. liquidypoo)

Part 9: Spin to Win and Twinmold Folds, a Sword to Gore Majora up (feat. Toiwat)

BONUS

Bonus: Hither into Stone Tower, No Quivering, No Bow Nor Bowing

Here are some pictures of Cremia hugging various Links awkwardly.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

What is this thing that you are doing?
Majora's Mask Randomizer is a mod / romhack made by a person named DeathBasket that randomizes the location of all inventory items in the game. Masks, weapons, trade items, and upgrades are all shuffled around, with a few exceptions to prevent an unwinnable state, and only among themselves, so things like heart pieces and rupees aren't affected. Bottled items are also randomized among themselves, since mechanically you can't switch those with a non bottle item, but it does mean that catching, say, a fish could give you something like Chateau Romani.

This is meant as a companion LP to the Majora's Mask Super Wrong LP, so I would suggest watching that before watching these, if only because I refer to the 'main LP' an awful lot and because that's where I explained all the cool tricks I'll be doing.

Why are you doing this thing?
Because it'll be fun!

What's the end goal here?
I'm aiming to again collect all masks and inventory items, but also all inventory upgrades as well, though in rare cases items can be unobtainable. I still wont get all heart pieces, but I may get a few if they're interesting. Of course I'll also beat the game.

There will obviously be some retreading on stuff I did in the main LP but the randomness should keep things interesting. And unlike my previous LPs, me and my commentators will commentate as I play, live! This means I will route on the fly, often with disastrous consequences, while my talking buddies berate me for actually being very bad at this video game and hiding it for so long. Fun stuff!

Suspicious Dish will be joining me for the entire LP, and we'll have a different third commentator every few episodes.

VIDEOS

FULL LP PLAYLIST

With Suspicious Dish and Artix:

Part 1: I Get My rear end Kicked By A Tree

Part 2: My Run Gets Screwed Up Already

Part 3: Sure Wish I Had the Zora Mask

With Suspicious Dish and crowe / corn in the bible:

Part 4: You Are Tearing Me Apart, Majora

Part 5: Really Bad Graveyard Time with Bats and Fire

Part 6: Learning New Instabilities of the Randomizer

With Suspicious Dish and ChaosArgate:

Part 7: Breaking Weapon Laws, Fighting Aliens, Peddling Conspiracies

Part 8: The Spiders Are All In Tune

Part 9: Stoned in Pirates Fortress, Making Some Unagi

With Suspicious Dish and SimplySimon:

Part 10: I Want to Beat Great Bay, I Want to Eat the Moon.

Part 11: Stone Tower more like Bone Boner

Part 12: Horse

With Suspicious Dish and ThornBrain:

Part 13: A Couple of Tasks to get the Couple's Mask

Final: Majora the Major A-Hole

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 2, 2016

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Part 1: Saving Ladies from Aliens and Raiders (feat. WilliamAnderson)

We finally get started! I had planned to get this LP going like two months ago, but I had a hard time deciding on how I wanted to route it. I'm still not completely happy with it but I think it'll be a fun ride regardless.

I do have some extra notes! First off, I've started to try out Adobe Premiere for extra video options, but I've been using VirtualDub for all my recording, and its AVI files don't always play nice with Premiere, and I can't figure out why. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. My codecs seem to be updated. In any case, I was wondering what other people use to record, and what they would use to de-interlace and scale. Would it still be AVIsynth?

Also, I decided to do some picture-in-picture stuff, to show off things while cutscenes or tedious events happen. This way there's still one consistent stream of gameplay, which I think suits Majora's Mask, while I can still cut away to show off other things. How do you guys feel about that? Should I keep doing it, or does it seem kinda pointless? Too much visual information on the screen? The alternative would be to skip cutscenes or speed through them.

I'm also debating on letting co-commentators watch the episode before we record, so they know what's going to happen. I'm hoping it might help them keep up a little so they can talk / contribute more, at the cost of live reactions. Good idea or bad idea?

One last thing, ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT. I need a few more commentators to fill out all the episodes I've planned, but I especially need one for the next episode! It'll be focused on Great Bay and Pirate Fortress. So if someone wants to do that, and can record in the next week, please tell me! Tell me your skype name or add me yourself (I'm doctor-kill on skype). First come first serve. I do need a few others for later episodes as well.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 12, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
There's a lot of effects caused by 0th day that I'll be going over in other episodes, but it's hard to use them extensively. The game transitions back into 1st day whenever you load a new area. Because the timer isn't right some events or actors aren't in their proper place, but that specific consequence isn't used for anything else besides the aliens. For instance, Malon isn't on the ranch in 0th day, and talking to some of the people in town, who have day specific dialogue, can softlock or crash the game.

And do you mean picking up the Zora? Yeah, in the English version you hold A to 'grab' the zora and push him to land, in Japanese you just swim against him to push him. Because of that you can get him really close to shore, then pick him up like a pot or crate. But then his walking cutscene / animation happens in your hands, and because he can't move to the spot he needs to go to the game stays in that cutscene forever, making you have to reset.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 7, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Velocity Raptor posted:

Programmin' stuff

Just so you know, there are lots of other effects that 0th day causes that I haven't gotten to yet! So you may have jumped the gun on guessing at the programming, I haven't given you guys the whole picture yet. Not that I don't appreciate your thoughts, they were interesting.

However, based on my understanding I don't think you're on quite the right track. The deku cycle is different in a number of ways obviously, but I don't think it's mapped out in a timeline-like fashion, being before the 'real' three day cycle. It's more like a modification of the regular three day cycle, the modifications being time moving faster and certain actors not being where they should be. I think this is actually contingent on whether or not you have the ocarina slot filled in your inventory, but I'm not too sure on that. Or the rest of it really, maybe you nailed it. Being in 0th day doesn't speed up the timer or remove the enemies in Termina field though so I have my doubts that it's putting you in the 'deku' cycle.

In any case, saving at the hidden owl statue has been known about for a while, as well as how it throws you into the Mayor's house. The saving mechanic was an added feature in the English version and probably wasn't tested extensively so there's a lot of weird stuff that happens when you mess with it. I believe the trick behind it is that saving at an invalid statue messes up a particular index of where you should start when you load the game, but I don't know why it would lead to all the effects it does. 0th day is pretty strange and I don't know for sure how much the 'community' knows about it.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Oh sorry, I could've answered that way earlier! My bad. If you are an alternate form she still hugs you, but the animation is based off some midway point on your body, so it can warp the model somewhat to get it to fit. As a deku you just float a little bit and his huge honking head clips through Cremia. As Fierce Deity his knees buckle and his feet shove through the floor, and half of Cremia is inside him.

Note that this is how big Fierce Deity Link actually is compared to Cremia:

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Also it's time for a new episode! This time Word on the Wind joins me for glitchy gametime funhour.

Part 2: Hiding from Pirates, Chiding the Spiders

It seems that I may have had a cold or something that I only noticed as I was editing, because I sounded a bit stuffy and raspy. Sorry about that! This episode starts out with some complicated stuff so make sure to tell me if I bungled the explanation. In fact, I definitely bungled it when I recorded it (which I'm blaming on the cold I'm not sure I had), and in fact re-recorded a small section some time later. This means that you will be more informed about what's going on in this episode than my co-commentator was.

I also blatantly forgot to comment on something while it was happening! I go to Pirate's Fortress in this episode and there are some movement tricks that let me skip two pirate fights that I didn't point out. I added some annotations but if you don't like seeing those, I skip directly to the 2nd and 3rd egg rooms by falling down in a certain way, and by jumping a certain way.

And thanks for the kind words about my LPs everyone, I really appreciate it. Next episode will feature Woodfall Swamp and Goron Village stuff.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Funny that you think it's more broken, I suppose that's because of the 0th day stuff? I still view OoT as more 'broken' due to BA / RBA / wrong warps, but maybe the smaller but more numerous mechanics and their exploits add up for some people.

But yeah there are a few things you can do for the eels, but if you are going for the seahorse heart piece then you still have to kill all of them no matter what. But there's something you can do to leave faster after you're done killing however many. If you catch something with a bottle (fish, bugs, zora eggs) Link keeps a bottle in hand on his model. That bottle acts a little differently in this state, as compared to when it's "put away." It's how I duped bottles in the last episode, using that turning animation. If you do that animation, then use a bottle and an item, glitches happen.

If it's an item the form can use but doesn't put something in you're hand, like bombs if you're out of them or masks, it updates that with an empty bottle. If you use an item that gets put in Link's hand, like the bow, bombs if you have them, or zora fins, it acts as an ocarina. This is the only way to do Ocarina items in MM, it was easier in OoT. But using that in the eel section lets you soar directly back to the aquarium after you catch an egg, which you normally can't do since you can't use the ocarina underwater. It's not a large time save.

Other than that there is a trick to get out of bounds to void out, but it only saves the time it takes to get back to the entrance. The biggest time save I guess is just knowing which eels have the eggs.

By the way, I wanted to have the next episode out by today but some stuff came up! So sorry about that, I probably won't have it done until Wednesday. I'll try to make it up with the next episode.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
I don't tolerate smartasses here Kaiser the mods are preparing the cannon as we speak.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Then I hope you enjoy THIS NEW EPISODE.

Exploring the Moors and Soaring to Gorons.

This time friendpal ChaosArgate joins me once again, to help me goof around in a gross swamp and a cold mountain. As always, feel free to ask me to elaborate on anything that happens if I didn't explain it enough.

In the next episode we finally get to do a dungeon! I know it took a while, but there aren't a lot of them in this game, so maybe stop being so greedy for ONCE in your lives, geez.

Edit: Spoiler: Someone in this thread will die before it's over.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 25, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Yeah sorry I don't know the nitty-gritty of how the pictobox stores photos. I've actually heard it just stores them as jpegs but that might be MM3D. What I do know is that the picture apparently uses 11,000 bytes, and catching hot springs water with any mask turned into a bottle will write 25 bytes of stuff to that, which isn't really enough to do anything. Doing it to all 23 masks might have a noticeable effect but still not a large one. I don't know, I've never really checked to see if there are visible differences in the picture after you do that.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

MissileWaster posted:

I'm about to watch episode 3, so I'm not sure if you mention it there, but in episode 2 you didn't point out that you bought 2 sets of Bombchu's with only 70 rupees. And the reason that works is because you can mash through the buying of the first set fast enough that your rupee counter says you have over 40 rupees when you try to buy them again!

Yup, we were talking about other stuff at the time so I just forgot, I was gonna point it out the next time I did it. You can do it with 69 rupees just barely, so you can save up to 11 whole rupees! WOW! In speedruns this is actually significant, it means you can buy 10 bombs and 20 chus with 99 rupees, the max you can hold for the default wallet.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

SwordlessLink had to take a break cuz he was getting too frustrated.

He's a knowledgeable, skilled guy but he has a bad habit of getting worked up over minor poo poo.

Dang, that's unfortunate. I watched his OoT reverse dungeon playthrough back before I did speedrunning and was really into it.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

please stop posting spoilers for my lp

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

ArcMage posted:

You asked for this.

There's no spoiler in this post, banned.

Spoiler: episode 6 will be 30 minutes of live footage of me slapping suspicious dish in the face

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Fanzay posted:

I was asking because I don't understand, not because I was trying to be an rear end in a top hat. Sorry, I guess :shrug:

If you really wanted to know why, it's because SwordlessLink isn't just a youtube rando. Or if he is he's one with some background in glitches. As I understand it he's been glitching Mario and Zelda games for like, 9 years now? He's been around for a while, so people just kind of hope for decent content.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Since the last episode came out later than I wanted, have ANOTHER NEW EPISODE ONLY A FEW DAYS LATER.

Part 4: Power through Stone Tower at Zero Hour

In this episode MissileWaster and I go on a grand adventure, deep down into the... sky of Ikana, into Stone Tower. Stone Tower is many people's favorite dungeon, it might be mine, and it has a lot of cool tricks so I hope you enjoy watching it. If you wanted me to fight Twinmold however, you're out of luck, for certain reasons I will fight Twinmold much later in the LP. The main reason is to spite you.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 25, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

death .cab for qt posted:

[Please don't post spoilers, especially not Metal Gear Solid V spoilers. :confused: -Jordan]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haha oh poo poo, sorry death .cab, I didn't mean for that to happen. Just know that this is absolutely not my fault and that I'm completely blameless.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Faraday Cage posted:

Like most Zelda speedruns I have no idea what you're talking about half the time

What!! This isn't good, I've been trying to explain everything I do! Is there specific stuff you didn't get? I can probably explain it more in depth.

And yeah time stop works a bit different in the 3D version, the thing you're trying might work if you start and end the backflip on the switch? Not sure. In any case, MM3D actually has a lot of interesting changes, in regards to the glitches and tricks you can use. If you want to mess around a bit, that trick where I use a bomb to explode myself off ledges? That's way more potent in MM3D, you go a bit farther than in regular MM. There's something called Mask Storage that's new, that essentially lets you delay putting on a transformation mask after you press the button, you can get on Epona as any form that way pretty easily. And most significantly, the hot springs water trick I used to get the rock sirloin is WAY more interesting in MM3D, you can use it to warp into all kinds of places, similar to Wrong Warping in OoT.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Ok well that's good. I just get worried about my explanations because I have a habit of stumbling over my words sometimes. I also occasionally fall into that trap of assuming some of the things I do are completely normal, since I'm so used to doing it that way, but I usually try to catch myself. That's totally why I forgot to mention a few things though! Like skipping the pirates. Glad it's coming through though.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Every owl statue must include information about where it is so the game can spawn you in the right place. The "hidden" owl statue doesn't have that information filled out correctly, so you get "random" data instead (not actually random, just not pulled from a valid owl statue data record), which happens to dump you in the mayor's office. That part at least is straightforward.

This is from a little while back but I did learn a little bit more about the hidden owl recently. Not enough to explain 0th day! But whenever you save at an owl statue it saves which owl statue you save at (which equals Mayor's House for the hidden one) but a different value is set to 1 to identify that you did in fact use an owl to save and to spawn you at that owl location. Whenever you load the owl save, this value is then reset to 0. But when you save at the hidden owl, this value does not get reset like it should, so new cycles always start at the Mayor's house. If you could prevent this value from being reset at other instances then every cycle reset would start you back at the last owl statue you saved at. The cutscene that resets this value by the way is the cutscene that played when I played Song of Soaring for the first time, the cutscene that plays when you load up an owl save.

Also, the 3-day challenge LP that ran here a month or two ago showed a neat thing with the New Wave Bossa Nova cutscene -- it's possible (I forget how, exactly) to switch which instrument you can use for it. In particular, you can learn the song with the Deku pipes. Normally the game tries to force you to use the guitar instead.

Also this, yeah I figured it out and its simple, instead of playing Song of Time like I did when I paused you can just buffer in putting on a mask, and you'll learn it as that form. You can also just soar away, I don't know if I mentioned that. I just didn't have the song at the time. Presumably you could also pause buffer your way to the door and leave, but that's probably not worth it.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

death .cab for qt posted:

So since this thread got me probated can I guest on an episode so I can stare slack-jawed at you breaking this game while saying MGSV spoilers the entire time?

Yes but my only condition is that after you say each spoiler you have to compare it to a spoiler from another piece of fiction and complain that MGSV totally stole it from there.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
New episode! Finally! I wanted this to go up on Halloween but I've been sick for like a week now, head all filled up with at least one kind of humor. It would've made for bad audio so I delayed until I sounded a bit better.

Part 5: Mummies to Placate, Getting Chummy with Great Bay

In this episode, Simply Simon and I go up against a menagerie of spooks and scares like the horrible mummies or the giant eyeball, but we bravely conquer our fears of undead far too slow to ever be a real threat and of the monster literally made out of the weakest part of the body and 'finish up' Great Bay Temple, while getting a few chores done along the way.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 4, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
By the way, in this episode I get the Great Fairy Sword and I didn't really talk about it, so I'll mention a few things here. Normally you get this sword pretty late in the game, but obviously since I've 'done' stone tower I can get it now. And it's pretty useful! The swords in this game do have a damage stat, with the Kokiri Sword doing 1 damage per slash, and each sword upgrade adds 1 more damage (Razr = 2, Gilded = 3). The Great Fairy Sword is 1 more than the gilded, at 4 damage, making it the best sword. And since jump attacks do double the base damage, a jump attack with the fairy sword does 8 damage, equivalent to 8 Kokiri Sword slashes. Pretty good!

It's also a C button item, and this can actually be pretty significant in regards to glitches. At the very least it means I can always trigger the infinite sword glitch, even if I don't have a sword on B (and don't have sticks). It also acts like the Biggoron sword in OoT, where Link doesn't slash it when he pulls it out, which is also actually helpful for a few things.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

FPzero posted:

It's too bad you get the Great Fairy Sword so late in the game because there's really nothing left to use it on. The only boss left is Majora and if you're doing all Masks, you'll have Fierce Deity for that.

Speaking of which, what damage value are associated with the Fierce Deity's Sword and the little buzzsaws it throws out? Is it 4 or 5?

The Fierce Deity Sword is as strong as the Great Fairy Sword, 4 damage for slashes, 8 for jump attacks. The energy saws it throws do 6 damage, so stronger than any slash but not stronger than jump attacks. You can shoot them so fast though so they usually kill faster.

Simply Simon posted:

Oh, and I tried to remember the Great Bay miniboss' name during the vid, but I failed. Then as I went to sleep that night, I remembered! ...the German name. From the mentioned guide. It's Warzenauge! Wart-eye!

The German boss names are pretty good, I'm pretty sure you've mentioned some before? I love them all.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Since I was late AGAIN for the last episode (according to my arbitrary calendar) here's another episode already! This time me and Zeikier are walkin' in the winter wonderland of Snowhead Temple.

Part 6: Snowhead, Cold Dread, Goht's Dead, Gold Tread

The audio in this one is actually a bit rough, there were a lot of pops that ended up in the recording that I couldn't just take out. Turns out audio editing software isn't actually magic! I'm kind of disappointed. I dealt with them as best I could, they are now closer to snaps and crackles instead of pops, but let me know if this rice krispie poo poo is no good. If it's too bad I could... redo the episode I guess? We'll see.

In any case, I would say the tricks in Snowhead are a little more 'grounded,' there's nothing too crazy going on. The way I get into Snowhead is pretty involved, and if you've ever seen a speedrun you'll know how I do it, but I also really hate doing it so I don't want to give it too much credit. If you've enjoyed the temples so far though I think you'll enjoy this one too.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

ArcMage posted:

I've noticed several times you'll just drop a bomb, throw it off wherever, and then go do something unrelated, what's going on there? A misfire, or some sort of weird luck manipulation, or what?

Am I stabbing the bomb? I'm using it to get Infinite Sword Glitch, if you interrupt a crouch stab on a specific frame of the animation by picking something up (or talking to something, or getting hit in the shield by something), you activate the glitch. I don't always have a use for the bomb afterwards so I throw it away sometimes. If you're asking about the part where I just pulled out a bomb and threw it offscreen, that was me accidentally pulling out a bomb, so yeah it's a misfire.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Well they do have kind of different uses for heights / distances? It's always easier and faster to move with bombchus because I have direct control over when they explode, since they explode when I shield. I have to time when I jump away from a bomb, since I have to be in it's blast radius when it explodes. You have way more control over chus so they are definitely much better for hovering (although I can use bombs for megaflipping).

But I can really only restock bombchus at the store, unlike bombs which are found everywhere (and filled by bomb bag upgrades), so I have to manage their use to minimize shop trips. I didn't completely plan out every single chu I use though so I kind of winged it for some parts. In this case I wanted a whole bunch of chus to hover over the Goron Race rock.

By the way, I also had to use the blast mask that one time I hovered off of it because the one weakness chus have is that under certain circumstances they cling to walls / floors / slopes and scuttle away, meaning you can't hover off them. That area above the rock is one of those areas, so I just had to use to mask, which always explodes. I also pause buffered there because the timing of hovering off the mask is different - it's more precise. That and it's long cool down time makes it not very useful for hovering, usually.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, with the getting into Snowhead trick, it sounded like if you fell off, you couldn't try it ever again. I'm assuming if you make your way back through a fairy fountain to the mountain top, then you get another try, right? It'd just take a lot of time.

And an unrelated question about that saving on Epona glitch: what happens if you play Epona's song while on Epona?

Yeah there's nothing physically stopping me from trying again, when I say I "couldn't try again" there I meant I couldn't redo the trick right then, from the fairy fountain. I'd have to fly away, buy more chus, get back to the fairy fountain, hover again, etc., which is a huge waste of time. I was actually lucky, I did fail the trick once but it was from getting hit by a snowball, and the wind wasn't blowing so I fell into the void close to the fountain entrance, which sets me back there. Where you 'spawn' after you void is determined by what point of the map you void at, which is usually far away because of the wind blowing you.

Some aspect of this is different in the Japanese version in a way that gives you more leeway, I don't know if it's because you void out faster and thus closer to the fountain, or if you always spawn back where you entered or something.

Oh and if you play Epona's song on Epona nothing probably happens, but I haven't specifically tried it.

MissileWaster posted:

I don't think I mentioned it in the video at the time, but Low% for this game only gets the Bomb mask and use it for hovers. And before the wrong statue glitch was discovered, back when you had to hover up stone tower, which normally takes like 10 minutes or something turns into like 6 hours because you have to constantly wait for the bomb mask to recharge.

Yeah I only know of one person who's actually done a Low% run and I have watched it, but I tuned away when he did the stone tower hover. It takes about 30-40 minutes of straight hovering, which is pretty bad. You would still do this method even now that they've found the owl glitch, because in low% you never get the song of soaring.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
You can skip buying the bomb bag 20 and just buy the bomb bag 30 which is enough to do the hovers, but bombs and bomb bag do actually count as two separate items according to the "rules."

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
So when I first mentioned doing this LP someone suggested doing something to make the Goron race more interesting. Unfortunately, there isn't really a way to glitch your way through it... in real time. By using emulation tools you can record impossibly precise controller inputs that a normal human can't do in real life, and actually 'win' the Goron race as a human. While I sort of know how to do something like this, it would take me a really long time to figure out how to do it properly - luckily, someone has already done it!

Here's a video, by a guy named GlitchesAndStuff, who's a somewhat prominent Zelda glitcher. He's found a lot of cool stuff for both OoT and MM, and he occasionally makes these "tool assisted" videos to show off neat glitches. In this case he uses a HESS (or HISS he calls it) to move backwards really fast and do the race. He uses computer tools to both keep up the proper controller inputs but to also manage the rng so that none of the Gorons hit him.

Unfortunately, doing it this way means you can't actually get the gold dust prize. You have to trigger the 0th day glitch I've shown before, to 'mix forms,' so that you can talk to the baby as a Goron but the race loads as a human. But doing this resets all quest triggers, including the Goron race being open, so while it starts the race, it doesn't load the end properly and you don't get anything. It's neat to watch though.

And don't ask how he wears the Goron mask as a regular mask, I'm not too sure on that.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
So I've got a question for y'all. We're actually getting kinda close to the end - there are gonna be 9 episodes, so we're 2/3rds of the way done. However, I've been thinking about doing a bonus thing after this main LP. Specifically, I was thinking about doing a playthrough of something called the Majora's Mask Randomizer. What that is is a mod to the game that randomizes all items you get, i.e. masks, weapons, upgrades. So if you pick up deku nuts, or grab a mask from somewhere, the game will instead randomly give you some other item, like fire arrows, or the biggest bomb bag. You can guess this makes playing through it pretty different! For instance, it wouldn't be a good idea to enter a temple until I've already found the item the temple normally gives you.

If I were to do this, I would probably attempt to get all masks and upgrades, as well as beat the game obviously. I would also probably comment while playing, along with some other people, and probably not edit the episodes too much. So it would look a little more like a regular LP, but I'd still be doing tricks and probably filling in any information I didn't get to in this main videos. I would also maybe stream it? Not sure.

Does that sound interesting to you guys? Is it worth doing?

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Wow ok, didn't expect such a quick response. I'll go ahead and do that then.

So can this randomizer put, say, the bow where you'd normally get the Fierce Deity Mask? :v:

I'd definitely at least check such an LP out. Your production values have been good with your main videos, but streaming (especially if you're going to do live commentary) is a different bag. But hey, if you feel you can do it justice, then go for it.

So I'll probably talk about it when I play it, but it seems there are some checks to avoid impossible situations. Obviously you can't check all possible situations so there could be some issues. But yes I think that can happen, it's not a problem though.

And yeah I've streamed and talked while doing races and stuff, so I'm not too concerned, but I'm not sure the best way to both stream and upload to youtube. Ideally I'd want to stream lower quality while recording high quality, for both audio and video, but I don't really know the best way to do that. So I might just not stream, I'm still thinking about it.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 12, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Oh yeah I definitely plan on having co-commentators for this as well, having guests makes it more fun. And I've looked into all that, I think I could set up a skype stream like that just fine, but doing a livestream would also be cool I think. Still working that out though.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do it and also try to give us a live insight into your routing process as the game continually fucks you over.

Definitely, routing out stuff is probably my favorite part about glitching honestly.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Ephraim225 posted:

Oh my god they did it with Majora's Mask?!

I tried the Zelda 1 randomizer and it was insane, triforce pieces were in regular kill rooms! This'll be twice as insane I bet.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Can't wait to see him go crazy looking for the bow only to find it in a chest in a hole in Termina Field.

Or, you know, in the Great Bay Temple behind an eye door.

Just to clarify, while I haven't played the Zelda 1 randomizer, I don't think the MM randomizer is as whimsical. It only randomizes inventory items among themselves, so it's not like random rupee chests will now have an important item. All important items are just a different important item. It's still pretty disjointed but not to a crazy extent.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Hey y'all, time for a new episode! With me this time is Azzanadra, and together we steal from all the dead in Ikana and solve Woodfall's problems.

Part 7: Grave Rob Em, Blaze Problems, Slaying Mobs Like It's Sodom

I think Woodfall temple is less impressive than all the other ones, probably because it's supposed to be the first temple, but there's still a few good tricks. Next time I'll actually go ahead and kill Gohma GYORG, and also get the Couple's Mask, which takes up most of the episode actually. It's a really long sidequest.

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 15, 2015

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

Mak0rz posted:

What happens if you keep duping bottles beyond six? Will they start to take over the inventory screen like duplicating hearts does?

No, it just keeps overwriting the first bottle slot.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
I just get progressively more hearts popping up.

More hearts.

EVEN MORE hearts.

I used cheats to show those screenshots off, because the amount of time it took me to get enough for that 40 second clip was like 20 minutes, I wasn't going to do that again. I will say that at some point you can get enough hearts to stop the game engine from rendering the game. It'll still be running, but it won't update any of the visuals. I'm not sure how many this takes though, something like 200?

Theoretically, you can use that to glitch more items, using that trick where I got an ocarina again. Some chests will give you light arrows, instead of an ocarina, but will also crash the game. However, the game wont crash if it can't render the visuals, so if you get 200 something hearts and trigger that glitch, you can get light arrows from somewhere other than Stone Tower. That would be incredibly tedious and hard to pull off in real time though and has only been proved through cheats.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
Probably. It's harder to dupe as many hearts in OoT but it does start lengthening the second row, I'm just not sure what happens past like 23 hearts.

Important message by the way. I need a commentator for the last episode, BUT I know there are already people who requested to help out for the main LP. None of these people left me ways to contact them though! And they haven't contacted me. So if you are Domus, Cowman, or Toiwat, and you are still interested, either tell me your skype username or add me on skype, my username is in the first post. I only request that you ask yourselves, really, truly, ask yourselves, if you can handle being in the finale. It's got a lot of good stuff in it so I would like someone who can follow along OK.

Also, make sure you specifically mention the LP in your skype message! I got a message from someone I think was on somethingawful, but they didn't mention the LP at all so I denied the request. I just want to avoid possible spam.

And in regards to the Randomizer, I don't think I'm gonna do commentators the same way! A lot of people have already offered their help, but I definitely wont be having a new commentator every 30 minutes, that would be kind of difficult. So sorry about that. I'm leaning towards having one permanent commentator over the whole thing, with an extra guest every hour / every two episodes or so. A full playthrough would take about 4-6 hours depending on how things go, so I'll need less people. I'll make sure to clear all this up before the randomizer LP starts though.

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N

ManxomeBromide posted:

RBA STUFF

What happens if you manage to get something with ammunition, like, say, Deku Nuts, on B? When it updates the new ammunition count when you fire one, it seems like it should produce an RBA-like effect. Is this possible? Or are bottles special here?

Dish answered it, but if you didn't want to listen to Dish for some reason (which is silly, you should always listen to Dish), I can say that yeah I have tried items with ammo amounts on B, they act normally. I've only done bombs but using bombs from B doesn't cause any issues. The only difference is that the bomb icon on B doesn't have an ammo counter. Bottles have specific updating mechanics that other items do not have.

I will say that your programming tests have probably been done before, and more extensively! People have examined a lot of OoT code to see how this stuff works and have programmed quite a few things to make use of it. I know someone who made a bot that can check what happens if you RBA anything, including things that aren't normally possible. If you're curious about all that, which it sounds like you are, there's a small community of users who do that kind of stuff. They usually hang out on IRC or skype groups though, instead of forums.

By the way, I definitely wanted to have a new episode out by now, but between scheduling issues and a persistent cough I've had for a few weeks, I've been having problems recording. I'll try to get one out by Wednesday or Thursday, but if my cough keeps acting up I might delay a full week or so. The gameplay is all recorded though, so there shouldn't be any other issues getting in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorKill
Jul 23, 2013

W H A T H A V E
Y O U D O N E
T O M Y
B E A U T I F U L
M O O N
I managed to get it done!

Part 8: Gyorg's Bubbly Grasp, it's a Troubled Task, so's the Couple's Mask

In this episode, liquidypoo and I finish up the cycle I started back in episode 3, and finally beat Gyorg. Afterwards is a cycle almost entirely devoted to getting the Couple's Mask. So if you wanted to know all about the specific quest triggers of getting the Couple's Mask, look no further!

The next episode is the last episode, and all we have left to do is beat Twinmold, and Majora. I managed to come up with some cool things to show for these fights, so look forward to it!

Edit: Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

DoctorKill fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 26, 2015

• Locked thread