Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Oh narratively I think there's no way she's after the key out of greed like the others.

I wonder what they're all after, really. Eris-Lo Kai seemed disdainful of the guilds and probably isn't planning on selling it if he gets it, though Ingsvld is employed by them. Outside of the book-man, though, I doubt many are after cash or something from this. And having the key for themselves, well, that'd cause a lot of trouble, so outside of those with really high opinions of themselves (Eris-Lo Kai again) I'm not sure how many are just out for that either. I mean, there are probably at least a few in both camps there, but I have a feeling some have a bit more complex motives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenebrais posted:

She appears across from Jagganoth, though. Unless he's going to turn on his fellow demiurges, which is possible. And by possible I mean I assume every one of them would turn on the others if they thought they had the upper hand.

Jagganoth is recoiling there, he's definitely not on Allison's side. What's weirder is Jadis just lying down; all the others have poses implying being defeated physically, but she looks like she's just lounging. Though, I guess that fits; if any of them are just going to not put up a fight, it would probably be her, both because of her being associated with Sloth, and her, you know, having seen the future where she and the others are killed and knowing that she has no chance.

Back to Maya, she doesn't look defeated like the others, but at the same time she's not in the center like Cio and White Chain either. Her location might be symmetry, or it might be foreshadowing her not entirely being on Allison's side. It's hard to say either way; all we know about her is her name, that she's quite a badass, and that she was apprenticed under Meti but didn't quite get the swordmaster's teachings.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A reminder, Maya's name is "Murder The Gods And Topple Their Thrones", so she's probably, if nothing else, opposed to the demiurges. However, again, her being across from Jagganoth doesn't necessarily make him an ally; given his apparent status as being more powerful than the other six combined and only kept in check through their efforts, being an immortal, unstoppable monster, he's pretty much prime "final boss" material outside of, I don't know, Metatron or maybe Maya herself or something. He basically has to be killed at some point or other.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I assumed it was because of the location, rather than the walking itself; traveling through the Void, particularly by just picking up your things and trudging along, is kind of a weird concept.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

plot twist - he cant actually move from that pose. his smugness has ossified him into a permanently smirking guy in a big chair.

That would be amusing, and make my repeated descriptions of him as "statuesque" take on new meaning.

Begemot posted:

Yeah I'm guessing that Solomon David is the only one who has retained his form.

I hope he doesn't ever have any underlings or other forms or anything. He's just a smug guy with the biggest crown sitting in the tallest chair.

Well, Gog-Agog's a pile of worms, so, apart from the shape-shifting thing she's probably not changed too much either.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Renaissance Robot posted:

I would like to know the deal with those book head guys

They're probably some sort of servant. Only other option is a really strange angel, which... Actually is possible. They've got the eye motif going on, and their bodies seem like they could be false shells for them to animate rather than a real part of their forms. Though "Ingsvld" isn't a particularly angelic name, so it's probably the former.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Christmas posted:

Yep. The alt text says their names. Un-Hansa is th guy with the beard, his daughter Prim is the one with white hair next to Aesma, Yis and Un are in the middle, and I think the rest of them are new.

Het was featured in some fiction too, and Un-Sivran is a familiar name I can't exactly place. I think Un-Janta is new though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 18, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, hello there. Fancy meeting you here.

I guess someone has figured out that Zaid's not the Successor. Unfortunately it's one of the people the Successor should be killing and thus he's likely going to try to steer her towards taking out his competition to his benefit. And he's been aware of her for a while now, apparently. That's interesting. Especially since Earth's gate is in Mottom's territory, so apparently Incubus has been keeping an eye on her section of things. I wonder why none of the others noticed her.

Also wow, she's only been dating Zaid for three weeks? Not even a full month and she's on a dimension-spanning quest to rescue him, wow.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 30, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenebrais posted:

I think all of the demiurges - at least all of the ones with any brains - will try to get Allison on-side against the others. They can see the writing on the wall, they know their time has come, but if they play their cards right some might still come out on top.

Of course, that's up to Kill Six Billion Demons.

Well, some see it; Jadis made the prophecy of their destruction in the first place, and Mottom said they're all waiting to die so she seems to expect the Successor to destroy them as well, but Solomon David was dismissive of the whole thing and is likely too proud to acknowledge that he needs Allison. Jagganoth, given how stupidly powerful he is, likely won't bow down easily either. Gog-Agog is unpredictable and Mammon is a mystery, so who knows what they'll pull.

I wonder if Jagganoth is going to go down early on or be the last one taken out; given how strong he is he seems like "final boss" material, but apparently it takes the combined strength of the other six to keep him in check, so if even one (probably Mottom, but who knows) dies he could decide he's in charge now and go on a rampage, making him a problem that needs to be taken out immediately.

And then if he dies, what chaos rises up next now that the invincible monstrosity is dead...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
“Only an insect expects a giant to watch his step.”

-Folk saying

Edit: Oh wow the runoff from Mottom's palace is spilling out right onto that city. That saying applies to so many aspects of this update.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 3, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
One must look one's best when they bring ruin to the gods.

Also, I want to meet Cio's friendspeople who helptolerate her.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In which Allison tries the obvious solution... And fails.

Also, more history of Mykos. Mother Om's invasion was swift and brutal, it seems.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Does she even know why she wants to get closer to Mottom?

Finding Zaid, I believe. I don't think she knows that Mottom already has him and such, though. Though I could be wrong.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bit of a tangent, but, while it's not universal, the ones with higher numbers also generally have more humanoid forms. Take 10 Vigilant Gaze or 12 Questioning Fate, compared to 82 White Chain, 75 Ambulant Blade, or 52 Holy Mists. It's not universal, as the mostly-humanoid twins behind Vigilant Gaze show, having lower numbers than the one above them, but it's a possible trend.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I decided to refresh my memory on how White Chain looked before escaping the Thorns, and wow, it is a major difference. That page is particularly good here for having Deliciously on it, who is looking considerably darker and lacking in an inner light, much like White Chain is now.

Edit: Also just noticed that White Chain's hand wings are gone there, but I think that's just an art error. Maybe; they seem to retract in the previous page but not disappear entirely.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think they were offering her new armor, I think they were offering to change her natural form.

Keep in mind 6 Juggernaut just looks that way, he wasn't possessing a suit when he spoke with White Chain.

Nah, that was definitely armor, though White Chain's form would have probably been changed to fit it too of course. You can tell by the details, like the holes in it (something common in both Thorn and regular angel armor).

The Mentalizer posted:

Fair enough. My line of thought was based on his initial offer of returning her to physical form so I just assumed that was a new set of armor. Especially since the head looks kind of like her old helm when it opens up.

There's this too, of course.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Minor detail I liked, Michael's form in the Void still has the spears in it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hm, given that White Chain is spilling her guts about Metatron when Michael's here talking about secret missions and such, it seems pretty clear she turned him down. I wonder what the fallout of that will be for her, she looked far worse for wear talking to the angels than she does "now", so the Thorns and/or Michael himself probably tried to kill her after that.

I also wonder if her story will be believed; if it is, it seems like it would shake things up a lot, unless the other angels all support the plan or something.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I still kind of like the theory that they're convinced that the successor is male because "his" name is Alice-Un.

(Not incompatible with Al-YISUN either, of course.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's a very old being of "the Law" and is clearly both full of himself and rather uncompromising and rigid, in a way that's likely not entirely rational given his having those spears through both his physical and spiritual forms. He probably immediately dismisses it as "wrong" between it not being how things "normally" are and his hatred for humans, among other things.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
We have an update. The other angels... Aren't quite buying it. Hm. Was hoping for a bit more than this. Though some are sympathetic, at least; Red Word is an rear end in a top hat, but Questioning Fate seems nice, if, like Vigilant Gaze, extremely out of touch and distant.

“The angel is a mighty judge, for his gavel is a fist of stone encasing a terrible and unforgiving fire. A corpse-ocean of criminals have been fed to that flame, yet oceans more shall never quell its unrelenting hunger.”
-15 Ways of Ruling

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 10, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

I'm kind of shocked to find out that Vigilant Gaze knows some humans, though I guess there were plenty hanging out at that demon bar that Allison visited.

That's 52 Holy Mists Rising From the Abyss, the one with the green wings coming from his head, talking in the last bubble. Their text colors are very similar, though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it interesting that only Red Word (the mirror angel) is aggressively anti-human. Holy Mists is supportive of White Chain and is defending humans somewhat, Vigilant Gaze is mixed between worrying about White Chain and telling Red Word to stop being such a dick, Ambulant Blade (the headless blue one) has a sort of "well, whatever" bigotry, and Questioning Fate (the polyhedron) and Dark Spear (the wing vortex) are both mostly concerned with White Chain's well-being, though in slightly different ways it seems.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ConfusedUs posted:

I totally got a "some of my friends are black!" vibe from the dialogue there.

Oh yeah, that's basically this. I'm just surprised that only one of them has Michael levels of open antipathy here.

Berk Berkly posted:

The barely repressed visage of someone enduring waves of open-chastising and mewling-patronizing crashing across both sides of a boiling cauldron of rage.

What will be the tipping point?

I'm thinking it happens in the next comic, though it's not a sure thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

There's also notes of classic thing of a beaten wife going to the pastor for the help, who then takes her back to her back to her husband for a righteous beating on account of her lying about him being abusive :v: (the bit where Vigilant Gaze suggests telling Michael when we've just established he's part of the problem)

I took that as Vigilant Gaze not believing White Chain's story at all and thinking that White Chain is delirious from nearly being killed by the Thorns, rather than thinking White Chain needs to be punished (heck, he said that he wants himself to be reprimanded for letting White Chain leave with Juggernaut Star alone), but fair point I suppose.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
White Chain is pissed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DarkCrawler posted:

Here they are at their earliest. Jagganoth is considerably smaller (and was dead at some point?) Solomon David envies that beard. Mammon and Jadis don't care.
http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-1-4/

I don't think that person with the arrows in them is meant to be Jagganoth. Not bulky, scarred, or red enough.

Edit: I still love how Solomon has the tallest throne there, in addition to his ridiculously large halo, though given Jagganoth's size he still winds up being taller.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update.

quote:

“The land was gone. I couldn’t believe it. Whole stretches of the earth were all rent up, as though torn by some monstrous beast. Ash covered the land where the orchards had been, and even the air was choked with an oily rain. I grabbed a passing indigent, picking through the filth like a stray dog.
‘What in Hells’ name happened here?’ I asked, aghast.
‘The queen came to take what was owed her,” said the man, looking dazed. His flesh was spare and cracked, like leather. I was suddenly aware of the bones poking up under his skin.
‘Debts? The orchards? The crop? Blast it, man, what did she come for? Why wreak such destruction across the whole land?’
‘No,’ gaped the man, ‘That’s what she came for.’
‘What?’ I said, with sudden realization.
‘Everything,’ said the man. I released him and he stumbled back to picking through the dirt. I covered my face with my scarf. The black rain fell. I didn’t stay long.”
– Payapop Pritrum, Memoirs

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Anonymous asked:
Do Maya's theocidal proclivities reflect the motives and intent of the middle army she is said to be associated with, or are her philosophies her purely her own?

Maya’s philosophies are largely a result of her contentious struggle with her master (of sword manual fame).

Confirmation of what basically everyone knew already; Maya is (or, was) Meti's apprentice.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Two pages" includes this page, so he's dying next page. RIP Pryan Sor.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 5, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's referring to Jagganoth specifically, though. The others haven't been established to also be invulnerable god-kings just yet; he's above and beyond them in power.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dmitri-9 posted:

I thought this would be a suicide bomber scene but actually it's just theater for all the assembled delegates. In retrospect it makes sense because Pryan Sor was allowed to sass Om for a full paragraph before the reveal.

Given the last panel of the last page I was expecting them to attack her, yeah. Sor's statements plus the post and expression of his associate made it seem like they were making a dramatic pre-fight move.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder if he is still conscious or not.

Anyways, clearly I underestimated how theatric Mottom would be. Evidently she takes her status as a goddess seriously, and is evidently fond of the Greek school of ironic transformation as divine punishment.

Yeah, I was just expecting an explosion, but that's far more sadistic than I took her for; I figured her too short-tempered or otherwise uncaring to go to these lengths. That, or it is a substitute (Cio can use the Art as well, after all) who is both more pleasant on the eyes than Mottom and who puts on a better show. Either way, wow.

And while him still being conscious would fit, even dying in such a painful way would be pretty unpleasant. That was pretty brutal regardless.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
She looks displeased about something. I wonder what.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Nadia looks more... bewildered/flabbergasted/appalled than INCREDIBLY FURIOUS. Like she doesn't know quite how to process what she's looking at.

Yeah, I'm really curious to see what it is that's bothering her. I mean, it's probably Allison, but maybe not. And even if it is, I'd like to see what exactly is causing that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The heroine appears.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A big flaming stink posted:

Looks kinda wheel-shaped

According to Aesma, after she left the multiverse and beheld it personally.

Note, it's impossible to go outside the multiverse and observe it at all. Also she was wrong about the shape she saw anyway, because she's an idiot.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

team overhead smash posted:

No she did go outside the multiverse and was kinda right about the shape, but it was only wheel shaped from that one angle that she was looking from and she could have seen it properly if she hadn't just glanced at it (but she is an idiot).

That's the joke; it's impossible, and stated to be such in at least one place, but she did it anyway. She was also completely wrong about what she saw though, because she is dumb.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yep, I'm betting that what I was thinking earlier is right, and the Mother Om the court sees isn't the real one. That, or we're having a timeskip/flashback.

That's probably a pretty good gig, really, being the face of one of the most powerful beings in all creation. You get glory, admiration, and more power than 99.9% of anything that's ever lived, and all you have to do is sit back, look pretty, receive tribute, and annihilate anyone who irritates you. Just don't piss off your boss and you have it made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that out of Mottom. I kind of like it, though; just because she's god-queen of part of the multiverse doesn't mean she needs to act refined and mature all the time. It's neat seeing her true face, so to speak.