Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wahad posted:

All I can think of is how this will affect the Pursuers when they next show up. Maya's probably gonna.be fine, but what about the rest? Will they unceremoniously get their rear end kicked during Solomon's tournament? Will Allison headbutt our giant baby friend? I sure hope so.

My money is on them somehow being manipulated into being her allies/army.

Maya's supposed to eventually train her, right? I'm really looking forward to that, she's by far my favorite character and I squeal in delight when she shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DancingShade posted:

If Alison's eventual costume change once she gets more confident in her powers isn't a Sailor Moon esque outfit (like the one in she wore talking to Incubus) I'll be surprised.

Maybe, but it seems like she's watched quite a bit of Fist of the North Star since then.

If a sailor suit does come into play she should save it for a showdown with Mottom, as she is CLEARLY a Sailor Moon villain.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Soooo I was going to run a Dungeon World campaign for my friends, but then I discovered that the KSBD RPG, Broken Worlds, is based on the same system, and now I'm gonna do that because gently caress yes I love this comic and its setting more than anything else ever.

Has anyone else ran a campaign in this, or know where I can find some sample adventures people have already created? I already had a campaign thought up, but it won't quite work in this setting without a lot of tweaking, so I want to look at some others have done and go from there.

Edit: also I made an avatar size of this face because I love it, up for grabs:

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 23, 2018

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You're slacking thread, new page is up!

I'm sensing a severe lack of restraint on Allison's part here.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hremsfeld posted:

I'm sensing a severe lack of wisdom on Allison's part ever.

To be fair her current teacher doesn't seem to have a great grasp of these principals either, honestly.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean technically that's all stuff that has to do with the fighting style, not being an angel, but she's clearly not sticking to the monklike diet you are supposed to keep to with that either.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It just occured to me...

... Is this a Nimona cameo?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alison and Cio lookin YS-THICC

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1055930366576521226

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hardly seems fair to the goblin gang... But then that explains why she's intentionally taking them all on at once - when you're this powerful and invulnerable, to gain real combat experience, you NEED to take on overwhelming threats.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Motherfucker posted:

I dunno dude she didn't exactly laugh off that hit to the throat. Just because she has godmagix dosn't mean her kung-fu has caught up.

That's what I mean. She's trying to catch her Kung Fu up, and since she has Magical Bullshit in her head, she needs to take on insane threats like an entire gang to actually get better. Still, seems unfair that they (practically) got 2 killing blows on her and it just doesn't matter - maybe she needs harder threats. She's still sloppy, like goblin girl says.

But I guess this is what she wants - someone who can best her so she can learn from it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MikeJF posted:

I disagree; I think Solomon thinks he is wise and just and fair, and he just wants someone who'll be as wise and just and fair to his people as he is so he can gently caress off.

We'll see who's borne out.

My take on it is that he keeps up the pretense of allowing a successor because it lets him present himself as a benevolent ruler who does not desire unending dictatorship; although it's plainly obvious that the conditions he made (spill a drop of blood from him) are practically impossible, so it's pretty clear he doesn't actually want to stop ruling. It will be interesting to see what his reaction is if (or when? Allison I assume) someone manages to fulfill his requirements.

It's also a bizarre thing to require for a leader. Just physical strength? How does that qualify you to lead? Yet there it is, that's what he wants, no questioning it.

His actions with the builders exemplify this - he's helping them not because he ACTUALLY wants them to be with their families, but because it allows him to look/feel benevolent in that moment. Yes, they may see their families today, but tomorrow? They're overworked and bleeding again. He did nothing to stop that from happening in the first place, after all. If he actually cared about them, he'd either do all that work himself EVERY day, or concentrate on creating a society where no one NEEDS to be overworked to create monuments to him instead of spending his time on pointless grandstanding.

He most certainly does NOT want a Messiah. He's holding Zaid there as a ward, not a successor. He sees him as a threat to be contained.

There's a note somewhere that Jaggonoth's 111,111 worlds have the most unconquered realms. Honestly, I'd prefer to be under him than Solomon David. Jaggonoth clearly has other priorities (the downfall of the other 6 I assume) and sees conquering and ruling realms as pointlessly vain. And we've seen from Mottom and Incubus' realms the cost of maintaining an empire.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 29, 2018

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

It's not that he chooses not to create such a society, but that universal stalemate precludes it. People will choose to overwork themselves to create monuments to him for as long as he portrays himself as a benevolent god-king, and he has to portray himself as a benevolent god-king or risk coming across as weak to the other six (generally less benevolent) god-kings, which would risk open war. The only out he has that avoids that is for someone else to take up that burden.

Heh, Maya clearly found another way out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

Not really? Assuming it's correct that she handed her shard to Incubus, she did exactly what Solomon's attempting to do, now.

Only instead of appointing "one worthy enough to shoulder the awesome responsibility of being this land's protector" she chose some horny blind swordsman.

Well she's not quite done with her plan yet, come on - she's working on the whole "Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones" thing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

She wasn't before Allison turned up with the Ruling King's power in her skull. Maya was not getting up to anything but drinking and noodles before she latched onto a parade of fools.

I know, I didn't really mean she is/was doing the right thing - just that any of these 7 fuckers could, at any time, give it up, no matter how much they insist they're stuck with it.

Like Mottom - she claims she wanted to give it up, but what she ACTUALLY wanted was a puppet to take on all the hard and scary parts while she kept living forever in luxury. And Solomon David, he claims he wants to give it up, but systematically closes all possibilities to actually giving it up.

(Mammon might be the exception though - he's clearly lost the capability to give it up. And we don't really know much about the other two.)

Jaggonoth and Incubus have clearly decided the best course of action is to tear that poo poo down, though. Like White Chain said, it may be evil, but at least it's something.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 29, 2018

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Throw $2 at the Patreon then, you get line art previews for the updates 1-2 days before they go up: https://www.patreon.com/killsixbilliondemons/

I did it just to get the RPG but I'm so invested in this comic it's worth keeping for the previews for me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah when I started spending a significant amount of mental energy each week anticipating the next page I knew it was time to donate.

I re-read the whole thing every few months and also bought the first volume in print (one for myself and one as a Christmas gift for a coworker that I knew would love it). KSBD may be my current favorite webcomic... Scratch that, favorite piece of anything entertainment media-wise at the moment.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He could just give that strength to whoever he wants by relinquishing his key. So I'd say strength should matter LEAST. He just doesn't ever want to give it up.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zodiac5000 posted:

He may not want to give it up, you're not wrong. It's also largely irrelevant to the qualifications involved. Just having the key does not make you strong enough. Taking the key and keeping it makes you strong enough. If you aren't actually strong enough to take/keep the key you are *definitely* not strong enough to sit at a table with Jagganoth and somebody made entirely out of worms and a screaming statue and tell them how tough you are, key or not.

If that's the case the smart thing to do is NOT to wait for some random person of who-knows-what moral character to be able to draw blood from you. You choose a successor, one that is naturally talented + intelligent, you raise and train them well, and you hand over the key. That's clearly what his sons want him to do - but he won't even entertain the idea.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr Subterfuge posted:

On the one hand, he has been disappointed by twenty five generations of his sons, so maybe he tried that. On the other hand, he's too prideful to see anything but disappointment in them, so that still isn't much of an excuse.

He CLAIMS he is. He's making an excuse. He set his standards way too high, consciously or not.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Why? I mean it, why is that the thing you do? When you're a god looking for a successor, why should that be the succession plan? If you think the way you acquired power was best, and the way you acquired power definitely didn't involve getting straight A's and politely waiting for the person with power to hand it over to you, why should you naturally be predisposed towards that style of succession? Especially when, by SD's personal metrics, you are the best ruler out of all possible alternatives. As best I can tell, Solomon is being far more lenient in how his successor acquires power compared to how he did it (assuming he did it through massive warfare and violence).

Your way just seems counter intuitive to how everyone in Throne seems to have been taught power works, which is that you keep it until its taken from you.

I'm saying that's an example of what he should do if he's sincere about wanting to have a successor. He's clearly not.

I think it's being foreshadowed pretty hard that he's going to be taken out soon and not having a successor is going to be a... Problem for his worlds.

Joe Slowboat posted:

He won't, though, because he can't stand to see someone not doing everything exactly the way he would do it.

Yeah, this.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 30, 2018

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

What makes it clear that that isn't what he wants?

Because he would have found a successor long, long ago if he actually wanted that.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I suspect he honestly wants to abdicate but his perfectionism means he will never actually go for a successor. He's not consciously playing keep-away with his key, he just can't bear to give it up.

Yeah, this.

Mr. Lobe posted:

that little nick probably hurts like hell

Yeah, that's gonna leave a floater. Good thing she won't have to worry about that eye forever anyway!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hremsfeld posted:

After watching a guy get exploded into the ceiling: "gently caress yeah, a good fight! We got this!"

After watching their target get stabbed in the eye so hard they break the knife, which seems to only make them angrier: "...Maybe we don't got this..."

They're in a multiverse with a lot of very, very strong people. They probably tangle with them a lot. If they run from every person with a superpunch they wouldn't be much of a gang.

And look at the expression of the human woman when she pulls out her knife. She loving LIVES for this. (Although she seems to have noped out after getting a closer look at Allison's nimbus.)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1058447939599769600

Yep, the gang must be the Golden Pearl, last seen in chapter one being clowned on by White Chain.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh. I guess I misremembered that page. I thought she said "The Guilded Cage" and that she was fighting THIS gang to track down THAT one. I guess it makes more sense because they're pretty well established on Hell 71. So... Ignore me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I mean they've got golden pearls right there on the back of their jackets

i dum ok

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

The gently caress did I just watch :eyepoop:

It felt like a string of in-jokes I'm not privvy to.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

The wiki claims Abbadon said otherwise.

The wiki is pretty spottily updated, and I've noticed a lot of things it quite plainly gets wrong. At one point early on in the comics' conception, demon and devil MIGHT have meant the same thing, but it's pretty clear reading over the comic "devil" is a specific type of entity and "demon" is a common pejorative.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

pseudorandom name posted:

Since nobody bothered to look at the wiki, it says the exact opposite: http://killsixbilliondemons.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:3228

Also one of you nerds asked Abaddon yesterday:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745508&userid=162856#post462524080

Operant posted:

I mean I hate using this term because people get confused as hell about it but in my view it's good general term for a force of evil.

I don't know if he changed his mind since 2015 but the wiki is wrong.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No Patreon page preview yet today... I wonder if he's running behind?

Which is fine, because it usually means he's doing something awesome. Take your time!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That CRUNCH is ominous. Hope Alison is ok with a liquid diet for a while.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ashcans posted:

That was just the sound of the wall giving way, she's fine!

Yes the wall that was behind her. In that hallway.

Unless by wall you mean teeth! It was her teeth. And jaw.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SlimGoodbody posted:

OPERANT DO NOT READ

that's another broken thumb, Alison

Nah you can see it pretty clearly outside the fist in multiple panels

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maybe she's hardened her skin, like a bullet proof vest... But being hit still loving hurts, and can still mess up her internal organs, like taking a bullet when you're in a bullet proof vest. That knife didn't pierce her eye, but she did recoil back like it hurt, and she's coughing up blood here even though her face is (so far) mostly undamaged.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A big flaming stink posted:

:eng101: Kevlar and modern body armor like ceramic ballistic inserts disperse the impact of bullets through thick webbing that distributes the force of a bullet over the entire vest (or in the case of inserts, through the entire piece), like a soccer net in a goal! While a similar effect provides limited protection against stabbing and slashing weapons, blunt melee weapons will transfer their entire kinetic load on impact like normal, and a bullet-proof vest will provide no more protection than a thick coat :eng101:

... I know all that, I just meant maybe being hit still hurts because her skin is strengthened but her insides are still vulnerable.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Weird, because 3E is even more needlessly complex than 2E.

I found the core systems of 3E (attack rolls, stats, etc.) much more intuitive than 2E. It was just all the secondary systems like grappling that were absurd and bad, and as a result no one ever used them. (And 3.5E fixed a lot of that.)

It's still not the be-all-end-all bastion of system that people like to pretend it is when comparing it to 4E or 5E. (I'm still mad my 3.5E elitist friends wouldn't even consider playing the 4E campaign I wanted to run.)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 15, 2018

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tollymain posted:

2) man im gonna be super bummed if K I L L B O S S doesnt become a pursuer

Are there any devil/angel pursuers? I seem to remember they all being human or servant.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

Does Shattered Worlds have fighting styles like the ones we're seeing?

Yeah, there are Advanced Martial Arts any character can choose when leveling up instead of their normal class move. Demon Flips The Cart is one of them - just checked.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If we're posting Abaddon's non-KSBD stuff, here's his last 2 posts of art from the mech RPG he's working on, from his public Patreon feed:

Loving the MGS + Ghost in the Shell + Battletech vibe.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't know what dungeon world is but I support cool art and zip up hoodies :shepspends:

It's the D&D-like version of the system he based his RPG Broken Worlds on, Powered by the Apocalypse.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

their eyes arent firey like the other angels we've seen. I just assumed they were sculpted eyes, I guess there could be another explanation. there's still lots of the lore we don't know, which is remarkable, considering how much supplementary exposition Operant already does.

The angels like White Chain we see now are in bodies forged for them by humans. The Prime angels' original bodies presumably were quite different in nature, possibly more organic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A question, since I'm working on my Broken Worlds campaign:

I've been wondering what that green smoke is that the prime angel transports are walking through, and I assumed for a while it was just mist or dust or something... But apparently it may be the sacred waters of the city? So the prime angels are always wading through knee-to-chest high water while walking around outside of the city?